After total knee still swollen and fe...

After total knee still swollen and feels hot to touch

Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Jehda

United States

#1 Sep 26, 2012
My sister had total knee replacement: Surgery was June 14. Pain killers and therapy stopped end of July.
But still has tender and slightly swollen around the knee cap and warm to the touch, but I'm not running a fever.
Should we be worried about infection?
Has anyone else experienced this.
THanks JEhda
DEE DEE 6-21-12

Dunkirk, NY

#2 Sep 26, 2012
Jehda wrote:
My sister had total knee replacement: Surgery was June 14. Pain killers and therapy stopped end of July.
But still has tender and slightly swollen around the knee cap and warm to the touch, but I'm not running a fever.
Should we be worried about infection?
Has anyone else experienced this.
THanks JEhda
Mine was like that,pretty much the exact same thing & I was told it's ok,takes time to heal,your too early yet,you won't be healed for a long time,keep exercising and/or therapy. dd
Jehda

United States

#3 Sep 26, 2012
DEE DEE 6-21-12 wrote:
<quoted text> Mine was like that,pretty much the exact same thing & I was told it's ok,takes time to heal,your too early yet,you won't be healed for a long time,keep exercising and/or therapy. dd
How far out from surgery are you. Thanks for the post.
DEE DEE 6-21-12

Horseheads, NY

#4 Sep 27, 2012
Jehda wrote:
<quoted text>
How far out from surgery are you. Thanks for the post.
My surgery was JUNE 21/2012 . I did mention these issues with my doctor and he said it's normal and not to worry.We do have a while yet to heal so keep exercising !!! dd
Brenda

AOL

#5 Sep 27, 2012
DEE DEE 6-21-12 wrote:
<quoted text> Mine was like that,pretty much the exact same thing & I was told it's ok,takes time to heal,your too early yet,you won't be healed for a long time,keep exercising and/or therapy. dd
Its been over 2 years for me. I am having to go for metal testing week. Its possible that they might have to do mine over. They said my was loose and danglie . I am having to wear a brace right now. I am so tired of this until I could scream
DEE DEE 6-21-12

Horseheads, NY

#6 Sep 27, 2012
Brenda wrote:
<quoted text>
Its been over 2 years for me. I am having to go for metal testing week. Its possible that they might have to do mine over. They said my was loose and danglie . I am having to wear a brace right now. I am so tired of this until I could scream
I had to have titanium for my new knees due to the fact I am allergic to metals.
My doc told me that if I hadn't said I was allergic to metal, I would have had many problems also he would have had to remove the metal knee with a non metal.
Ronnie

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 16, 2013
I am 45 yrs old and work a very physical job. I received a replacement knee 2yrs ago and hip last year. no problems with hip at all but knee aways swelled and very limited movement. anyone else like that. dont know what to do seems to be worst in cold weather too.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
judy

Lewisville, TX

#8 Mar 20, 2013
I had total knee replacement 7/2010. As of today my knee swells & it aches so bad. My Dr. took an exray & said the knee looks fine! Great....then why the swelling & pain?
judy

Lewisville, TX

#9 Mar 20, 2013
Ronnie wrote:
I am 45 yrs old and work a very physical job. I received a replacement knee 2yrs ago and hip last year. no problems with hip at all but knee aways swelled and very limited movement. anyone else like that. dont know what to do seems to be worst in cold weather too.
I have the same problem w/ my knee. Surgery 7/2010, swelling & stiffness. Xray ok so what is it?
Judy

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
CKirtlan

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 9, 2013
judy wrote:
I had total knee replacement 7/2010. As of today my knee swells & it aches so bad. My Dr. took an exray & said the knee looks fine! Great....then why the swelling & pain?
I had my total knee replacement 1/2011 and this year began dealing with swelling and pain at night. Dr. suggested tendonitis and physical therapy. PT revealed I.T. Bands that run along the thigh and connect the hip to the knee to the foot were too tight, causing the knee cap to not track properly. I've been doing PT for 3 weeks and noticing improvement with the pain. PT is also doing intense massage of both knees to break up scar tissue, which I think is going to be great for the swelling and pain. Perhaps you could give PT a try.
234--bbt

Miller Place, NY

#11 Aug 8, 2013
I had TKR in2011. My knee is always swollen and now it is hot to the touch.
Limited bend. Very frustrated. If I knew this could happen I would not have had it done.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Robert Deamer

Taunton, UK

#12 Aug 13, 2013
Had total knee replacement 31/5/13 on my six week check up they were surprised how well i could walk i put it down to going swimming and doing my exercises in the pool (less pain) my knee comes back 130 degrees which amazed the surgeon. On his advice i walk one mile every morning with the aid of sticks. I realise I still have long way to go Im 67 years old . Hope this helps.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Olga

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#13 Aug 13, 2013
I had TKR about two and a half months ago and I regret it everyday. I'm starting school in two weeks for Surgical Tech and I'm afraid my dreams of being a Surg tech will go right out the window. If you need TKR, don't take the decision likely. If I could turn back time I would have never ever had this surgery.
kll

Sacramento, CA

#14 Oct 20, 2013
judy wrote:
I really think they don't know. I am on my 3rd dr. Had the scar tissue broken up once. My knee is always swollen and hot to touch. A year out and I can't bend it and have to walk with a cane. 3rd dr. said the knee cap looks out of alignment. If I have anything done is to go in and have the total knee thing done again. Sick up to here!
Hank

Makati, Philippines

#15 Dec 12, 2013
Had my left knee done 3 years ago,healed in record time, no pain great.10 months ago had my rte. knee done.more pain now than before,swollen and hot to the touch. Been to doctor many times and he says it's doing great.reading previous blogs sounds like we have the same doctors. If it's not infected why the heat is always my question. The answer is no infection and it's doing great. When I get back to u.s. Going to another doctor and get his opinion,same answer will let you know...Merry Christmas..
George

United States

#16 Dec 24, 2013
I had my first tkr done 05/2012 had it redone in 05/2013, did intense physical therapy three times a week, along with working out in the gym even dropped 60 lbs. the knee is hot to touch can't straighten the knee out like I should ave pain in the knee can't flex it like I'm suppose to. Dr says it looks good on exray bone scan ok but can't get any answer on the heat and pain, was told to wait another 6 months to see how it is,,oh joy. Will never have my other knee done that's for sure.
jane

UK

#17 Jan 8, 2014
Nearly 5 months after tkr and knee feels very tight and is swollen. Struggling to sleep more than 4 hours in a row as wake up with vice like grip pain round my knee. Have done all exercises as told and am having hydro but am due to go back to work soon and don't think I will manage as am on my legs most of the day!! Knee s often hot to touch - I am not sure if I am doing too much or too little in the way of exercises?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sue

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 8, 2014
I had my left knee replaced in January of 2013, and healed with absolutely no problem at all. I had my right knee replace in June of 2013, and am in constant pain. the knee seems swollen and is always hot. I see the surgeon tomorrow, and I'm convinced he's going to say, "It takes time to completely heal- just keep exercising." Meanwhile , I feel like a diva still depending on a cane because my right quad collapses without warning. Have others had similar problems?
Linda

Oxford, NY

#19 Jan 10, 2014
I had my left knee replaced in Jan 2011 and still having a pinching feeling in the back of knee while going up stairs and getting out of car. I can deal with that. What I can't deal with is at night while sleeping if I stretch my leg out, I wake up with a horrific pain as though someone took a knife to the back of my knee. My knee feels broken. I feel sick to my stomch and faint. The only relief is standing in a hot shower for 15 minutes. This is the most horrific pain I ever felt. My Dr is sending me to a Nurologist to rule out nerve problems. In the meantime my right knee is giving me problems and I am scared to death to have it replaced. Has anyone ever experienced this type of pain?
Carol Dunderdale

Southport, UK

#20 Jan 10, 2014
I had tkr on the 9th of November 2013 was a very painful journey, it was my right knee. Im still taking all my meds and exercising but iv got this tight band feeling across front of my knee, and still using one stick to get around ,is this ok this tightness or what ? would love some advice ,or if anyone else is going through this..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kneeling after Tkr (Nov '09) Fri Madmomma1 40
Pain with right total knee replacement & cause ... Fri Ginnynrs 1
blood pooling in knee after stryker tkr (Apr '12) Fri linjhall 82
"Vanguard™ Complete Knee System" by Biomet? (Oct '07) Thu Carolyn Naylor 231
Leg weakness/normal EMG after knee surgery Thu TLC 2
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Feb 20 Mark shapiro 185
Popping and clunking sounds coming from new knee (Jul '07) Feb 20 Gonnion 318
More from around the web