Kathy Clayton

Des Moines, IA

#1 May 17, 2008
Is it o.k. to use a regular push lawn mower after knee replacement. My knee replacement was almost 8 months ago. My doctor said I can shovel a light snow but not a heavy one. I didn't shovel at all last winter.
Joon

Lehigh Acres, FL

#2 May 18, 2008
Kathy,
Why not! If you can walk well, you can mow the lawn. At 8 months post op, you should be doing almost everything, within reason. Give it a try. Cheers, Joon
Lori

AOL

#3 May 22, 2008
Joon, I had Oxford Knee Replacement in left knee last Nov 13, 2007 and only 43 years old. I can do Taekwondo but know that I can't do jumping. I have good one right leg. I do race walking - not real one - just regular walk at Track with no judge. I do swimming, too. I can running little bit but not normal. Surprise me that I try. I wonder future will better technique than today? What do you think?
Joon

Fort Myers, FL

#4 May 23, 2008
Lori, They are making improvements every year. Having said that, our current replacements are going to be good for a long time and through ongoing field research, their life expectancy is improving each year. If you take care of your knee, and do sensible exercise, you can expect your Oxford to be your life long knee. The total knee is a bit less predictable, certainly a little less long lived, but it too can last 20 years with luck, if the soft tissue is kept fit and the recipient stays active and healthy. The best advice is to stay away from high impact sports. Good to hear you are trying things. Cheers! Joon
Lori

AOL

#5 May 23, 2008
Thank you, Joon. I know high impact sports. Taekwondo - I use my good leg. Taekwondo is good therapy for balance. Also help my A.D.D. Life expectancy. I see most young people start do Mix Martial Arts. Some them start at 7 years old. I saw one guy who is about 30 - very young to have knee replacement - I believe Oxford. Thank you,again, Joon.
peggy

Baileyton, AL

#6 Sep 18, 2013
can I use a riding lawn mower, after having had hip replacement surgery on August 15th this year?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Popping and clunking sounds coming from new knee (Jul '07) 4 hr Mary ez 234
Bad Oxford (partial) knee-replace with total kn... (Jul '09) Wed divingman7 114
Post Knee Replacement three years Wed Dolores Zahn 1
Is Bonesmart.org Worthwhile? (Jan '14) Wed Nogods 40
Infection after tkr- I need implant removed etc... Tue Tom 19
9 Month Update of TKR Sep 15 HereComesDaJudge 8
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Sep 14 Nikerikmom 77
•••

Knee Replacement People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE