Bad Oxford (partial) knee-replace wit...

Bad Oxford (partial) knee-replace with total knee replacement

Posted in the Knee Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
peggathy

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jul 23, 2009
I went to Houston last year and had an Oxford knee put in wrong, and even tho it bends well and i can still do yoga and my kayaking, it is sliding sideways and i am becoming more bowlegged. There is also pain. I realize the new surgery will be more intense. What type of prosthesis would give me the ability to bend my knee still, so i can get into my kayak and still do yoga? There are so many kinds! Also, will there be more scar tissue than normal as they have to remove the Oxford prosthesis?
Gary

Richmond, VA

#2 Jun 22, 2010
How did you determine that they were installed incorrectly. I had both knees done 2 years ago in Richmond Va. and they hurt all the time and I have difficultly walking from the day I came home. The doctor tells me they are correct and does not know why I am in so much pain and I need to replace them with full replacements. I am looking for a good Lawyer.
peggathy oxford knee

Huntsville, AL

#3 Jul 29, 2010
Gary wrote:
How did you determine that they were installed incorrectly. I had both knees done 2 years ago in Richmond Va. and they hurt all the time and I have difficultly walking from the day I came home. The doctor tells me they are correct and does not know why I am in so much pain and I need to replace them with full replacements. I am looking for a good Lawyer.
Gary, my left leg, the one with the oxford knee done by Larry Likover, well known surgeon in Houston, was bowing out more and more, and unlike others who i interviewed who had the same surgery by another surgeon and were dancing at two monthes, i was still using a cane, by the time four monthes came around, i sent my xray to a surgeon friend of mine in Belgium, and he, and all of his collegues, said it was installed at the wrong angle. Lots of American doctors said it was put in reasonably. I guess they stick together, until i got Dr. Su, in New York, after a few docs here in N.M. said it was wrong. Dr. Su gave me a total knee, had no choice cuz my back was going out horrifically due to the bad first surgery, and i am still trying to recover my back with physical therapy after a year. Sue a doctor in Texas? you cannot anymore. They own the texas medical board too, my doc treated my horribly, said that if i call his office crying he would never call me back, so he did not call me. It is now very hard to sue a doc in texas even if he cuts your leg off accidently. Please email me at [email protected] as i want to hear more about your problem.
peggathy oxford knee

Huntsville, AL

#4 Sep 16, 2010
It is almost one year since i had Dr. Su in New York replace my nightmare Oxford Knee with a correctly installed total knee. I am still doing my own rehab for my back, as it really suffered when the misangled Oxford knee caused my leg to bow out so badly that my back engaged in new problems. I AM getting better though. With my new knee, which was done with obvious caring by Edwin Su, i am kayaking, i am dancing, i amm doing yoga, taking limp free walks.
Audrey in Illinois

United States

#5 Dec 1, 2010
I had an Oxford Partial Knee replacement Dec 2008, I went thru the re-hab and therapy, remained active.
On July 31, 2010, while sitting at the dining room table, my knee froze up, I was in horrible pain, couldnt even put my foot on the floor.
After immobolizing it with a brace, it became less painful, but could not walk without a cane. I have now undergone surgery for a full knee replacement, it didnt go well with my other health issues, I had several setbacks. The surgeon said that a plastic piece had come loose from the replacement and was lodged behind my knee. He also said this was usually only seen if there was a bad fall or and accident of some kind. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am doing better now, but still not back to work.
Mary in Florida

Safety Harbor, FL

#6 Dec 12, 2010
I had an Oxford Partial Knee Replacement in December, 2003. After months of continuing pain, I was finally told that because I have arthritis in the KNEE CAPS, a partial knee replacement was the wrong surgery. I have avoided the full knee replacement as long as I could, but will try to endure the procedure early in 2011. I have been told it will now be twice as long of a surgery, and twice as long a recovery. Am so angry at the dr. who did this surgery. Do not have a partial knee replacement w/o getting second, even third opinions.
Lisa Finney

Greensboro, NC

#7 Dec 21, 2010
i had a bi-partial oxford knee replacement in January 2009. I have been suffering from constant knee pain since. My dr. insists that i shouldn't be having pain, but yet thinks having a full knee replacement wouldn't be any better, and that I would still have continuing pain. I just don't know what to do, The nerve pain sets in on the left side of my left knee now, and now I'm going in for a nerve block injection tomorrow. I keep enduring this knee pain, as to work, and try to keep afloat, but still I'm going in and out of work. I'm at my wits end, if anyone has any suggestions or advice, please feel free to comment.

Since: Dec 10

Greensboro, NC

#8 Dec 21, 2010
Mary, plz let me know the outcome of your total knee replacement, i too have had a oxford bi-partial knee replacement, and have had continous pain since, but my dr. insists that a full knee isn't the answer for me. I want to know your outcome, and try to compare the results to my situation.
Karin

Gainesville, GA

#9 Feb 2, 2011
Mary in Florida wrote:
I had an Oxford Partial Knee Replacement in December, 2003. After months of continuing pain, I was finally told that because I have arthritis in the KNEE CAPS, a partial knee replacement was the wrong surgery. I have avoided the full knee replacement as long as I could, but will try to endure the procedure early in 2011. I have been told it will now be twice as long of a surgery, and twice as long a recovery. Am so angry at the dr. who did this surgery. Do not have a partial knee replacement w/o getting second, even third opinions.
Mary....please please keep me updated...I am going through the same thing. I had my partial knee done 2 years ago which was surgery number 7 and I had surgery #8 done in August for a bakers cyst that was huge in my knee....I can't stand the pain and dr wont give meds...already taking meds for the nerve pain and feeling like my foot is going to catch fire.....now maybe a full knee....i have no idea what to do now.....thanx for letting me rant.
Todd

Breckenridge, TX

#10 Feb 19, 2011
Gary wrote:
I had the oxford procedure in both knees. One in Sept. and other Nov.of 2007 I stay in pain, they stay swollen if I walk on them for more than 15 minutes. Some of my toes don't move and I stay in constant pain. It was calf pain and some knee pain now I have feet pain, knees that pop, and constant ice pick like pain in knee. Have you had any luck talking to a lawyer. I don't want to sue anyone, but I have lost ability to function that is satisfactory for me.
Todd

Breckenridge, TX

#11 Feb 19, 2011
Karin wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary....please please keep me updated...I am going through the same thing. I had my partial knee done 2 years ago which was surgery number 7 and I had surgery #8 done in August for a bakers cyst that was huge in my knee....I can't stand the pain and dr wont give meds...already taking meds for the nerve pain and feeling like my foot is going to catch fire.....now maybe a full knee....i have no idea what to do now.....thanx for letting me rant.
I have the very same condition after the surgery. I had the Oxford surgery on both knees. The Dr. was suppose to slit the large baker cyst and after surgery found out he forgot to check it out. And then was sent home after one day. The pain has never stopped. I now have feet that swell and either freeze or burn like they are on fire. I have two dead toes and extremely frustrated with the situation. I am now seeing a pain speciallist. They have put me on opiates and tizanidine. I am tired of being on medication (2.5 years) I was told I would be able to go back to work after 6 months and now it has been 2.5 years and I am still unable to function through a normal day. I don't know what to do. And terrified of a total knee replacement.
Karin

Gainesville, GA

#12 Apr 1, 2011
Todd, thank you for replying to me and I am so sorry that you are going through all that you are. I work at a pain clinic so I know what they are telling you. I saw another othro doc today and was told that there is WAY to much movement in my knee and because of that, my hardward will come loose. So my only real choice is a total knee. I am also struggling with Neuroma's (nerve bundles) that cause me extreme pain with touched. These are primarily around my scar tissue and I have been getting steriod shots to help relieve that pain. I also suffer from the burning in the sole of my foot with 2 normal studies from the Neurologist...they are about to do MRI of my lumbar spine.....I am about of out ideas and patience....but thanx for letting me know I am not the only one, but yes, you are in a much worse place....and I do feel for you.
Rickee

Ottawa, Canada

#13 May 26, 2011
I had a partial knee replacement done three months ago. Have done physio religiously. Pain got much better for about a week but now it is much worse than before I had the surgery. My life revolves around pain and what I can do and cannot do because of the pain. Unbelievably discouraged!!!!
Pam

Chicago, IL

#14 May 27, 2011
I thought I was crazy. I had bilateral partial Oxford knee replacements May 2005. I have had 3 surgeries on my right knee and 2 on my left knee. I am in constant pain and have trouble bending and straightening out my right leg. I am very sorry that I ever did it, I should of just waited until I needed total knee replacements, but the said that this would be much better because I was young. I swear That when I shake my leg I feel something moving. Has anyone have the same feeling? I would appreciate any feedback. Is there anything to do besides surgery AGAIN!!!
Karin

Gainesville, GA

#15 Jun 3, 2011
Pam, you are definatly not the only one. I have quite a bit of movement in mine as well. I am about to have surgery number 9 on the knee and my Bakers Cyst came right back after having it removed....guess my knee is really angry. I know that I have a great doctor taking care of me.....things just went wrong and I still have to work on getting something fixed so I am not in pain everyday. I can tell you that when I got my second opinion they said that because of the movement, eventually the hardware would come loose....then back to square 1...good luck and keep in touch...we can all help eachother through this.
Mark

Pickerington, OH

#16 Jun 7, 2011
MY bearing in my partial knee became dislodged and caused me excrutiating pain and required emergency surgery. I was told they put a bigger bearing in and it would not happen again, I am freaked out this is crazy I had the first surgery in march this happend i june 3 . Any thoughts?
Pam

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 18, 2011
Hi Karin, thanks for your response. I know that I need to find a new doctor, but I don't even know where to begin looking! The doctor that did my surgeries has been our doctor for over 20 years, so I thought that I was in good hands. What area of the country are you from? It is very scary to think about sx again. Thanks!
RebeccaS in Spokane WA

United States

#18 Jul 31, 2011
Lisa Finney wrote:
Mary, plz let me know the outcome of your total knee replacement, i too have had a oxford bi-partial knee replacement, and have had continous pain since, but my dr. insists that a full knee isn't the answer for me. I want to know your outcome, and try to compare the results to my situation.
I'd like to add to this post in response to all of the previous posts: I had 2 partial (unicondylar) Oxford knee replacements by different surgeons on my right knee, prior to the total replacement (Smith & Nephew) both of which failed. The first one lasted 6 months, the second,(to repair/replace the first) lasted 14 mos. Then, when that one failed, I had emergency surgery which resulted in a TKR and loss of my ACL and PCL. To add insult to injury (financial, emotional, etc) the TKR in April 2011 is still loose, clicking, and hanging up. The current surgeon vacillates between telling me he doesn't know what I'm talking about to "wait for a year and see". The PT I worked with after the TKR refused to continue working with me until I saw the surgeon and got clearance...because my knee is so loose and clunky - very audible - that he was worried that it sounded like I Needed surgery, not just finished surgery. I'm still having problems.
I would like to point out some things: I'm not overweight, I do yoga, bicycling, sport bike motorcycling, and gained back full range of motion in each surgery much more quickly than projected. So... I'm not whining or trying to get out of work, etc...but am really frustrated that the docs don't listen, or lump everyone together. In my case, there is ample evidence all over the internet about the very loud looseness, clunkiness, clicking etc. yet my doc pretends he's never heard of it. I have several friends who have had knee replacements and none have had these clicking problems.
Here's the timeline and overview:
- partial knee replacement in July 2009, failed Jan 2010. Knee literally collapsed, plastic piece came and was floating free above my kneecap in my thigh
- emergency surgery to replace with slightly larger/thicker plastic cartilage piece
- partial knee replacement failing March 2011: pain, stiffness, instability, tearing feeling. Unable to find any ortho doc who will see me in less than 4 mos. due to demand. One physician assistant agrees to see me in April 2011, says implant looks fine, thinks it may be my ACL that needs repair. Prescribes and ACL brace (costs $300 w/ insurance,$1500 without) to wear till I can see the surgeon in 2 months. My knee locks up the next day, with the brace on, and the plastic cartilage piece is locked up in the joint, poking out of my knee.
- emergency TKR surgery April 2011, Smith & Nephew full prosthesis inserted, both anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments removed due to the type of prosthesis used.
- all of my PT is done, in- and out-patient, and I'm fully mobile and active within a month. My knee is loose, and I see the doc for follow up and with my PT concerns, and he seems kinda to be playing dumb and tells me to get a new PT (who BTW, was awesome and helped me learn more about my body's and leg's function than anyone ever.) He performs an experiment that proves my knee is loose (by ortho-taping up up, which reduces the looseness and clicking entirely) basically, he "took up the slack." When I went back to the doc he acted like I was psycho or stupid. It really seems to me that he and the others are just so worried about lawsuits they commit to nothing, including prognosis, information, or expectations. Literally, very non-committal or helpful. I'm not an engineer, but I'm smart enough to know that when mechanical parts (automotive, appliance, etc) are out of alignment and are moving incorrectly, clunking around so loud that it alerts others, there is something wrong and the normal wear and tear is compromised, shortening life span of the parts or overall component. I can't just pack this up and return it to Costco!
RebeccaS_Spokane

United States

#19 Jul 31, 2011
July 2011:
I'd like to add to this post in response to all of the previous posts: I had 2 partial (unicondylar) Oxford knee replacements by different surgeons on my right knee, prior to the total replacement (Smith & Nephew) both of which failed. The first one lasted 6 months, the second,(to fix the problem of the first failure) lasted 14 mos. Then, when that one failed, I had emergency surgery which resulted in a TKR and loss of my ACL and PCL. To add insult to injury (financial, emotional, etc) the TKR in April 2011 is still loose, clicking, and hanging up. The current surgeon vacillates between telling me he doesn't know what I'm talking about to "wait for a year and see". The PT I worked with after the TKR refused to continue working with me until I saw the surgeon and got clearance...because my knee is so loose and clunky - very audible - that he was worried that it sounded like I Needed surgery, not just finished surgery. I'm still having problems.

I would like to point out some things: I'm not overweight, I do yoga, bicycling, sport bike motorcycling, and gained back full range of motion in each surgery much more quickly than projected. So... I'm not whining or trying to get out of work, etc...but am really frustrated that the docs don't listen, or lump everyone together. In my case, there is ample evidence all over the internet about the very loud looseness, clunkiness, clicking etc. yet my doc pretends he's never heard of it. I have several friends who have had knee replacements and none have had these clicking problems.

- partial knee replacement in July 2009, failed Jan 2010. Knee literally collapsed, plastic piece came and was floating free above my kneecap in my thigh

- emergency surgery to replace with slightly larger/thicker plastic cartilage piece

- partial knee replacement failing March 2011: pain, stiffness, instability, tearing feeling. Unable to find any ortho doc who will see me in less than 4 mos. due to demand. One physician assistant agrees to see me in April 2011, says implant looks fine, thinks it may be my ACL that needs repair. Prescribes and ACL brace (costs $300 w/ insurance,$1500 without) to wear till I can see the surgeon in 2 months. My knee locks up the next day, with the brace on, and the plastic cartilage piece is locked up in the joint, poking out of my knee.

- emergency TKR surgery April 2011, Smith & Nephew full prosthesis inserted, both anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments removed due to the type of prosthesis used.

- all of my PT is done, in- and out-patient, and I'm fully mobile and active within a month. My knee is loose, and I see the doc for follow up and with my PT concerns, and he seems kinda to be playing dumb and tells me to get a new PT (who BTW, was awesome and helped me learn more about my body's and leg's function than anyone ever.) He performs an experiment that proves my knee is loose (by ortho-taping up up, which reduces the looseness and clicking entirely) basically, he "took up the slack." When I went back to the doc he acted like I was psycho or stupid. It really seems to me that he and the others are just so worried about lawsuits they commit to nothing, including prognosis, information, or expectations. Literally, very non-committal or helpful. I'm not an engineer, but I'm smart enough to know that when mechanical parts (automotive, appliance, etc) are out of alignment and are moving incorrectly, clunking around so loud that it alerts others, there is something wrong and the normal wear and tear is compromised, shortening life span of the parts or overall component. I can't just pack this up and return it to Costco!
RebeccaS_Spokane

United States

#20 Jul 31, 2011
I'd like to add to this post in response to all of the previous posts: I had 2 partial (unicondylar) Oxford knee replacements by different surgeons on my right knee, prior to the total replacement (Smith & Nephew) both of which failed. The first one lasted 6 months, the second,(to fix the problem of the first failure) lasted 14 mos. Then, when that one failed, I had emergency surgery which resulted in a TKR and loss of my ACL and PCL. To add insult to injury (financial, emotional, etc) the TKR in April 2011 is still loose, clicking, and hanging up. The current surgeon vacillates between telling me he doesn't know what I'm talking about to "wait for a year and see". The PT I worked with after the TKR refused to continue working with me until I saw the surgeon and got clearance...because my knee is so loose and clunky - very audible - that he was worried that it sounded like I Needed surgery, not just finished surgery. I'm still having problems.

- all of my PT is done, in- and out-patient, and I'm fully mobile and active within a month. My knee is loose, and I see the doc for follow up and with my PT concerns, and he seems kinda to be playing dumb and tells me to get a new PT (who BTW, was awesome and helped me learn more about my body's and leg's function than anyone ever.) He performs an experiment that proves my knee is loose (by ortho-taping up up, which reduces the looseness and clicking entirely) basically, he "took up the slack." When I went back to the doc he acted like I was psycho or stupid. It really seems to me that he and the others are just so worried about lawsuits they commit to nothing, including prognosis, information, or expectations. Literally, very non-committal or helpful. I'm not an engineer, but I'm smart enough to know that when mechanical parts (automotive, appliance, etc) are out of alignment and are moving incorrectly, clunking around so loud that it alerts others, there is something wrong and the normal wear and tear is compromised, shortening life span of the parts or overall component. I can't just pack this up and return it to Costco! [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Knee Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Knee Replacement Thailand. Thu Mel Batchelor 1
Double total knee replacement, please give your... Thu KevyO 2
After total knee still swollen and feels hot to... (Sep '12) Dec 6 Snore 126
Post TKR week 3 (Sep '12) Dec 5 KevyO 20
3 1/2 years after TKR still with pain in knee (Jul '13) Dec 5 Lovelylori 141
Pain management Nov 30 Staycole 1
Recent total knee replacement experience (Dec '12) Nov 30 Kaybee9 51
More from around the web