Comments
61 - 80 of 219 Comments Last updated Jun 19, 2014
jay

Sligo, Ireland

#62 Sep 8, 2010
I was diagnosed with Hashis 4 years ago. I was on Synthroid and didnt feel any better. My doc added t3 10 twice a day +75 synthroid and my energy improved but not optimum. I started on Armour 60 twice a day and am on that5 days and feel I have gone back to when I was only on t4 Can. Any one give me any idea, if there is an adjustment period when changing over
beth

Baltimore, MD

#63 Oct 14, 2010
Hi, I have two main questions.... i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism recently, though after reading more about it, I've probably had it a lot longer than I realized. TSH levels were just tested at 7.0. I was taking T3 supplements for two months to see if that helped--it didn't. So I'm now taking 90 mg of Armour. My questions are:

1) I haven't seen any changes yet, but it's only been two weeks. At what point should I talk to my doctor about upping the amount I'm taking?

2) Assuming the Armour helps with my symptoms (weigh gain, foggy thinking, low body temps), and assuming TSH levels go back to normal range and other symptoms have subsided, is it possible to go off the meds, or is one on them for life?

Thanks for any help!~beth in baltimore!
Tanya C

United States

#64 Oct 15, 2010
Ok...so I have been taking synthroid for almost 19 years and I'm 23!!!!! I feel like CRAP and I hate my meds its like its not working!! I can't think straight I'm forgetfull....SOOOO SLEEPY...I take 150mcg of synthroid...and I WANT TO SWITCH ANY TIPS WOULD HELP ME PLEASE....I feel so worthless..I have never been on any other medication for this disease I'm desperate to feel normal!!! HELP....please email me at christkid_7@hotmail.com...PLEA SE NO JUNK!! Thanks and God bless!!!!
jansoames

London, UK

#66 Oct 19, 2010
beth wrote:
Hi, I have two main questions.... i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism recently, though after reading more about it, I've probably had it a lot longer than I realized. TSH levels were just tested at 7.0. I was taking T3 supplements for two months to see if that helped--it didn't. So I'm now taking 90 mg of Armour. My questions are:
1) I haven't seen any changes yet, but it's only been two weeks. At what point should I talk to my doctor about upping the amount I'm taking?
2) Assuming the Armour helps with my symptoms (weigh gain, foggy thinking, low body temps), and assuming TSH levels go back to normal range and other symptoms have subsided, is it possible to go off the meds, or is one on them for life?
You are on for life I'm afraid. I am on erfa another dessicated from Canada. I felt emotionally better within days and energy better in the first month. WQeight wise still waiting. Usually with dessicated you start on half a tablet and increase it gradually maybe half a tab at a time every 10 days or so. Then when you are on the equivalent to 2 grains which I think is about 120mcgms T4 you stay on for a month or so to see how you feel. Hope this is helpful. Jan]
jansoames

London, UK

#67 Oct 19, 2010
Tanya C wrote:
Ok...so I have been taking synthroid for almost 19 years and I'm 23!!!!! I feel like CRAP and I hate my meds its like its not working!! I can't think straight I'm forgetfull....SOOOO SLEEPY...I take 150mcg of synthroid...and I WANT TO SWITCH ANY TIPS WOULD HELP ME PLEASE....I feel so worthless..I have never been on any other medication for this disease I'm desperate to feel normal!!! HELP....please email me at christkid_7@hotmail.com...PLEA SE NO JUNK!! Thanks and God bless!!!!
Dessicated. Insist. I feel so much better.
Michelle

Elgin, TX

#68 Dec 15, 2010
I started on Armour 3weeks ago and building up to take 180 mg a day. I'm at 90 mg right now and I still feel tired all the time and 30 lb overweight. Dr said I would lose between 7 and 20 lb with this med. But still nothing. How long til I see a change?
freddie Weber

United States

#69 Dec 16, 2010
I'm on Armour 60 mg. my tsh is 0.07 and t3 is 3.39 and t4 is 0.93 - I still have symptoms (stiff hands and neck pain) that I didn't have when I was on armour 90mgs. for 15 years and then they withdrew it from the market and my doc put me on synthroid 75 ml. and eventually my old symptoms came back. I want my doc to put me on 90 mg of armour but he won't - any feedback?
Sharon

Waterford, Ireland

#70 Dec 17, 2010
What are the ranges on that t3 and t4? Are the frees? Tsh isn't important while on desiccated thyroid. Personally, if it were me I'd either get a new dr or if that's wasn't possible then I'd go to 90mgs myself. It's not a particularly high dose and you did well on it before. One other thing to bear in mind though: when armour came back on the market it was reformulated (fillers changed) and a lot of people who were previously doing great on it started to go hypo again, so that could also be a possible reason for you not doing well on armour now.
almost 1year

Barksdale Afb, LA

#71 Jan 14, 2011
Newsgirl wrote:
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago, with a TSH level of 21.
I've now worked up to 120 mg Armour Thyroid per day and feel about 60 percent better than before.
Question: my doctor put me on liquid calcium to be taken 30 minutes before thyroid and iodural.
I've read elsewhere to take calcium at least 4 hours before thyroid meds. I asked the doctor about it-he said the calcium is in a digestive state already.
Anyone with other insight that might help?
Thanks!
hi newgirl calcium,soy,fiber these things should be taken at least 4 hours after you have taken your thyroid meds and also my dr told me to take any additional meds 4 hours after thyroid meds because they could interact with your armour
almost 1year

Barksdale Afb, LA

#72 Jan 14, 2011
i had a thyroidectomy last april and my meds have changed like 4 times ive been taking armour for 5 weeks i feel better but im not losing any weight. i have gained about 70lbs i am desperate to lose weight can anyone give me some advice. is there anything i can take without it affecting my levels.
Jasmin

Paterson, NJ

#73 Jan 25, 2011
Hi Amy ,
I'm so glad to hear that. I know how difficult it is to deal with this. I'm dealing with hypothyroidism my self. I've gotten much better but still have a little more to go. Keep giving thanks to GOD! the true healer ...and never loose sight of all the GOOD things you acquired while dealing with your thyroid issues.
God bless you
And I'll be praying for you!

P.s.- One thing I learned is Diet means everything with hypothyroid. There is no specific diet but the more natural the better!
Helen AZ

Quezon, Philippines

#74 Feb 8, 2011
To all those who take Armour or Nature-throid(dessicated thyroid) can you please advice me if I should crush the pill before taking because I noticed that it does not melt fast like the levothyroxine does. It takes hours to melt unlike the Levo,which melts within 30 minutes. In another website, it is advised the crush the pill and take with a little honey. Is this the way to take it?
Jake

Oakland, CA

#75 Mar 29, 2011
Memo to everyone who wonders how long Armour thyroid medication requires before it kicks in - this is highly variable. Some people start feeling better in a week or two but according to "Renewal" by Dr. Timothy Smith (an excellent book with a chapter devoted to thyroid issues), some people need two to three months to show improvement.
thyroid issues

United States

#76 Mar 30, 2011
Yes, huge tyroid nodule and recently prescribed armour. I'm excited to try. Oh, and my levels came back in normal range, pretty strange considering the fact that I have a huge nodule on the inside of my throat.
loligney1976

Anaconda, MT

#77 Apr 19, 2011
melanie wrote:
Hi - i've recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, thus hypothryoid. I'm taking armour thyroid - just 3 weeks now - and i can't say i really feel a dramatic difference. Also, I think i've gained about five pounds - yuck.
Any encouragement you can offer me would be so appreciated - i cry and sleep a lot - and this is not working out so well with my husband kids altho they're all trying to be supportive.
thanks!
I've ad the same problem! I just a week and a half ago was put on 30mg of armour thyoid and I do feel a bit of a change in the fact that I am not so depressed any more, but I can tell that I need my dosage upped. My doctor is having me call every two weeks to speak to him personally to find out how I am feeling, so we can go from there. I like a lot of people was having a hard time finding a doctor that would listen to me. I was seeing every doctor under the sunand they all kept telling me that I was "normal", but then I went to see me ears, nose, and throat doctor who told me, though my test results were normal, my temp was between 94-96 degrees every morning before getting out from under my covers; he said I deffinately had hypothyroid. This was effecting my husband, my kids, my house, and me. I would only be awake for about 5-7 hours out of each day, but wasn't even mentally alert. I've only gotten worse over the last three years and never (until 3 years ago) had any issues with weight. I also have 4 children who are 10, 8, 3, and 6 months old, so this has been very hard to deal with. We were always an energetic family until this hypothyroid became an issue! I just want you to know that you shouldn't give up on the armour because it is best horomone treatment to ttake because from my understanding there are so many side effects to the synthroids. If need be, just keep getting the dosage upped until it works for you! My doctor said I may have to get my dosage upped a few times until I start feeling better, so don't give and good luck!
Kelli

United States

#78 May 20, 2011
Hi just wondering if you had any results? I just started armour 1 week now and feel more tired then before..still working out and eating right and no loss in weight. Did you ever see results?
Amanda wrote:
I'm 23yrs old, unfortunately have managed to gain 30lbs over the course of 5yrs and have not been able to shed it. I went to the doctor in May of 07' to have blood work done to see if there's a reason why I have no luck losing and he suggested I diet more and exercise more. I wasn't satisfied with his answer, but also didn't seek a second opinion. I went to the doctor in May of this year (different one, actually she is a NP, but I much prefer her over the other guy) After doing blood work again she said I had room to improve my thyroid and started me on 1/2 grain of Armour. I went in for a check-up a month later on 6/26/08 and even though I had only been on it for 1 month I had not noticed any differences so she upped me to 1 grain. While it's only been 3 weeks since I've been taking a full grain, I have yet to notice a difference still. I'm still pretty fatigued, especially on the weekends, I haven't noticed a bit of change in my energy. I'm supposed to go back in August for a pelvic exam and she said we would go over my thyroid again at that time...and if needed she would bump me up to 1.5 grains. I'm starting to wonder if I even have a thyroid problem?!?! Or does it just take FOREVER for your body to take the hormone's in???
Lynn

San Diego, CA

#79 Jun 22, 2011
I've been researching the reformulatted Armour and found www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
They said to thoroughly chew the tablets to release the dessicated thyroid from the now excessive cellulose in the formula. They also recommend that your dose be split in at least 2 doses per day because of the short life span of T3.(I've been doing this and it does make a difference.) Some people may even need to split their doses into 3 or 4. I'm going to try chewing the tablets to see what happens.
SUZANNE D

Canada

#80 Jun 25, 2011
Where can I get the product Armour Thyroid. I called Wallmart and they never hear of it. Do i need a prescription for this. I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada. thank you
to frustrated in Scarboro

Canada

#81 Jun 25, 2011
Dr Paul Jaconello MD in Toronto can help you. He is a holistic MD and will prescribe desiccated thyroid for you. google him
Margan

Sunland, CA

#82 Jul 5, 2011
Hello--I think I'd like to take Armour for the very many symptoms I have of hyperthyroidism. I was looking for an alternative practitioner--Kaiser won't help me. Can anyone suggest practitioners in the Los Angeles area who can help with this problem?
Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hypothyroidism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hypothyroidism AGE35 Aug 19 Ripster 2
Can hypothyroid cause snoring? Aug 14 Nick 1
Levothyroxine & Weight Loss (Jul '07) Aug 5 Jenny 3,252
TSH levels, what is normal range? (Oct '08) Jul '14 preeti 168
Is Thyroid Disease Causing Your Erectile Dysfun... (Aug '07) Jun '14 Michal 12
Dismissed from clinic for no good reason, legal... Jun '14 ariel88 2
New to hypothyroidism and have questions... (Aug '06) Jun '14 Jen2000 74
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••