Armour Thyroid gave me back my life!

Posted in the Hypothyroidism Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Amy

Plover, WI

#1 Sep 23, 2007
I AM ON CLOUD NINE! After dealing with hypothyroidism for about 5 years and only on Levothyroxine, I took someone's advice on this forum and got my physician to prescribe _Armour Thyroid._ I have been on it for about a month and I can tell you I am 100% back to normal. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to whoever you are that said something.
I have a lost weight, have energy, mentally sharper, Not depressed, and actually have a libido again. My periods haven't gone back to normal yet (used to be every 3 weeks) but it's getting there, I can tell. I can't tell you what this has meant to me and to my family.
I had some testing done before I starting taking it and it said that my T4 and T3 levels were normal. Please! Do yourself a favor and check this product out. Even Mary Shomon at About.com says that she felt the best on this product. It's worth it!
I'm just a mom and a band worship leader at a church. I don't sell the stuff. I just don't want other people to be sick from this stupid disease anymore. It's affected my whole family.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
bonnie

United States

#2 Oct 7, 2007
Amy, are we twins? I'm also a worship leader and a mom, and Armour gave me my life back too! LOL! Have you been to this website yet? www.stopthethyroidmadness.com . And here is a site with forums where you can talk to others who are Armour advocates: www.realthyroidhelp.com . The STTM forums moved to the realthyroidhelp site.

Best wishes!
Ms G

United States

#4 Oct 17, 2007
I recently started taking Armour Thyroid, and I don't feel any better. I'm wondering if the dose is too low. Can you tell me what your doctor started you on and long did you take it before really feeling better!
bonnie wrote:
Amy, are we twins? I'm also a worship leader and a mom, and Armour gave me my life back too! LOL! Have you been to this website yet? www.stopthethyroidmadness.com . And here is a site with forums where you can talk to others who are Armour advocates: www.realthyroidhelp.com . The STTM forums moved to the realthyroidhelp site.
Best wishes!
wayne smith

Ireland

#5 Oct 22, 2007
I started on Armour 1 week ago and already the difference is just unbelievable,i had hypothyroidism for 14 years and on thyroxine, anti depressants,ant anxiety medication it came to a head 2 months ago when i really could not cope anymore,i had turned to alcohol to escape my feelings of helplessness, i seen maybe 10 different shrinks,my head is starting to get clearer everyday and i just feel sooooooo much better,Thank God for www.stopthethyroidmadness.com , if i had not found that website God only knows what i would of been like,Ms G ,you must take your temperature everyday once your temperature reaches a normal 98.6 or there abouts then it is a sure sign that you are taking enough armour and your hypothyroid symptoms should disappear,my temp was between 95 and 96 for 14 years and in one week i am at 98,the results are amazing.no more aches or pains no more depression yippee!!!!
I agree with Amy that this disease has taken its toll on me which has affected my whole family and i just hope that things get better for you Ms G .
Bonnie

United States

#6 Nov 16, 2007
Ms G wrote:
I recently started taking Armour Thyroid, and I don't feel any better. I'm wondering if the dose is too low. Can you tell me what your doctor started you on and long did you take it before really feeling better!
<quoted text>
Ms. G - I started on 1 grain of Armour and titrated my dose up til I am currently on 3 grains. Wayne is right, you need to chart your temps. But staying at too low a dose to start with can also cause problems. So can adrenal fatigue. A very good place for you to start would be to go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and read all you can there. There's a lot of information and it can seem overwhelming to start with, but it will slowly sink in - I promise!

I should also note that I take 25 mg hydrocortisone daily (split up into smaller doses) to support my sluggish adrenals. This might be something you should look into if you are having trouble tolerating Armour. Cortisol is essential in getting the hormone to the tissues. You will find this information and more over at the STTM site. There are also a couple of sites where you can actually talk to others - one is Janie's (STTM site owner) yahoo group, the other is a forum called www.realthyroidhelp.com . You can post any questions you might have in either of these places and others who have been where you are at can give you their input on getting back to feeling better on Armour.

Good luck!:-)
Bonnie
Slav

Vancouver, Canada

#7 Jan 17, 2008
In Canada it is called desicated Thyroid. I have had hypothyoroidism for 5 to 10 years and have recently been diagnosed. My life is so good now I cannot even believe it. I am a very motivated person but the disease made my body and mind disabled for so many years. I work 80 hour weeks because I would just sit at home and sleep otherwise. I am so happy now that my mind is not so foggy.
marmee

Charleston, WV

#8 May 31, 2008
I recommend Armour over Synthroid because in the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) Armour has one paragraph of possible side effects whereas Snythroid has a list of about 2 pages of possible side effects.
I have been taking Armour for about 6 months now and feel great...so far I've noticed NO side effects and have more energy.
I requested the natural drug over the chemical one when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and my endroconologist readily agreed. Although synthroid is more popular (for whatever reason), most phycicians won't hesitate to prescribe the Armour if requested.
Mike

Somerset, NJ

#9 Jun 3, 2008
Amy, I very happy for you!! I only hope I can have my life back. This hypothyroid has sapped me to the point that I'm barely functioning. I went to a doctor and waiting for more blood work. My TSH is almost 10.0 while the normal range is .03-3.0. Just waiting for the T3 and T4 results.
Mike

Croydon, PA

#10 Jun 9, 2008
Update: I was given a prescription for 15mg of Armour. But I think I need at least 30mg. I will see how I feel after a month.
Ilyzium

Vancouver, Canada

#11 Jun 13, 2008
Has anyone had any insomnia at all while on Armour? 7wks ago my Naturopath put me on 30mg in AM & 30mg in Pm. Because I was still feeling a bit tired he increased my dose to 60mg in AM & 15mg in PM. While I now have a ton of energy now, I'm finding that initially I fall asleep only to awaken at 4:00AM and takes me an hour to fall back asleep. Ok now I've only been on this new dose now for a week and I'm wondering how long does it take for your body to adjust to a new dose??
BTW I go back for my blood tests in 3 wks.
Newsgirl

Oak Ridge, TN

#12 Jun 24, 2008
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago, with a TSH level of 21.
I've now worked up to 120 mg Armour Thyroid per day and feel about 60 percent better than before.
Question: my doctor put me on liquid calcium to be taken 30 minutes before thyroid and iodural.
I've read elsewhere to take calcium at least 4 hours before thyroid meds. I asked the doctor about it-he said the calcium is in a digestive state already.
Anyone with other insight that might help?
Thanks!
Andrea Smith

Dallas, TX

#13 Jul 4, 2008
After two failed IVF treatments with no explanation always feeling tired, my doctor who treats my ADHD had my T3 and T4 levels tested. He said that some people have "normal" TSH levels but this may not show the whole picture.With secondary hypothyroidism, you can have a normal TSH level. Turns out my levels were really low and he put me on Armour. After one week, I am feeling much better. I have a feeling this may be a factor in the failed IVF cycles so I am hopeful that my third try will be successful.
Amanda

Alpharetta, GA

#14 Jul 18, 2008
I'm 23yrs old, unfortunately have managed to gain 30lbs over the course of 5yrs and have not been able to shed it. I went to the doctor in May of 07' to have blood work done to see if there's a reason why I have no luck losing and he suggested I diet more and exercise more. I wasn't satisfied with his answer, but also didn't seek a second opinion. I went to the doctor in May of this year (different one, actually she is a NP, but I much prefer her over the other guy) After doing blood work again she said I had room to improve my thyroid and started me on 1/2 grain of Armour. I went in for a check-up a month later on 6/26/08 and even though I had only been on it for 1 month I had not noticed any differences so she upped me to 1 grain. While it's only been 3 weeks since I've been taking a full grain, I have yet to notice a difference still. I'm still pretty fatigued, especially on the weekends, I haven't noticed a bit of change in my energy. I'm supposed to go back in August for a pelvic exam and she said we would go over my thyroid again at that time...and if needed she would bump me up to 1.5 grains. I'm starting to wonder if I even have a thyroid problem?!?! Or does it just take FOREVER for your body to take the hormone's in???
Surrey

North Vancouver, Canada

#15 Aug 25, 2008
Slav wrote:
In Canada it is called desicated Thyroid. I have had hypothyoroidism for 5 to 10 years and have recently been diagnosed. My life is so good now I cannot even believe it. I am a very motivated person but the disease made my body and mind disabled for so many years. I work 80 hour weeks because I would just sit at home and sleep otherwise. I am so happy now that my mind is not so foggy.
Hi I live in Surrey BC can you tell me which doctor prescribed this medication for you as I am having a hard time getting my doctor to listen to me. Thank you.
Surrey

North Vancouver, Canada

#16 Aug 25, 2008
Hi I live in Surrey BC. Can you tell me which doctor you attended to get this medication prescribed for you. I am having a hard time getting my doctor to listen to me.
melanie

Matthews, NC

#17 Sep 8, 2008
Hi - i've recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, thus hypothryoid. I'm taking armour thyroid - just 3 weeks now - and i can't say i really feel a dramatic difference. Also, I think i've gained about five pounds - yuck.
Any encouragement you can offer me would be so appreciated - i cry and sleep a lot - and this is not working out so well with my husband kids altho they're all trying to be supportive.
thanks!
melanie

Matthews, NC

#18 Sep 8, 2008
Oh - one more question does anyone run a constant one degree or so high temp with hypothyroid - i have been for about four weeks.
frustrated

Toronto, Canada

#19 Sep 10, 2008
I live in Toronto Canada and have been on Thyroxin since I was 7. I am now 30 and fed up. I have tried numerous times to get the natural kind and a new doctor, and then give up. THis time I swear I will do whatever it takes. Any adivse will be awesome - If I can order it off the internet, I will do that. If you can suggest a doctor, and will even pay to see them to get the prescription.
sleepy

AOL

#20 Sep 14, 2008
My doc started me on Armour Thyroid 60 mg. almost two weeks ago, and I haven't really noticed any difference yet. How long does this take to start working? I'm kind of confused why he put me on it in the first place since my lab work came back completely normal. I told him I was just tired all the time (as I have for the past two years), and he told me to take this. I'm also taking Provigil for my tiredness which seems to work some, but I think he was trying to wean me off of this with the thyroid med.
Graham

Dorval, Canada

#21 Sep 26, 2008
Dr. Veeravagu at the Sage Clinic in Vancouver is a Naturopathic Doctor, and is able to prescribe Armour.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hypothyroidism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Levothyroxine & Weight Loss (Jul '07) May 22 Martha 3,266
Change in body odour!!! (May '10) May 5 willow36tree 46
I have hypothyroidism but once a month hyperthy... Apr '17 Pauline 1
Thyroid symptoms worse in spring and summer Mar '17 Kate 1
Losing Weight With Hypothyroid (May '07) Mar '17 guest 418
Confusing labs Feb '17 CindyEB 1
What are my labs saying? Feb '17 henrisgirl 1
More from around the web