Normal TSH levels - Australia

Normal TSH levels - Australia

Posted in the Hypothyroidism Forum

Bell

Australia

#1 Feb 8, 2010
Hi All,

I have been feeling so irritable and moody lately, and my mum used to be hypoactive. Anyways, went and got blood test results today and my TSH is at 3.2. Apparently a normal level is between .5 and 5 but I got told its updated levels are .5-3. Does anyone know? Not too sure whether to get a second opinion or not!

Thanks!
Maria

Gainesville, FL

#2 Feb 9, 2010
Do you have any other symptoms other than "irritable and moody"?
Bell

Australia

#3 Feb 9, 2010
My periods have been really light, as in one day long light, my muscles are aching really bad and I always feel run down - I am just not feeling myself at the moment!
Maria

Gainesville, FL

#4 Feb 10, 2010
If anything, hypo will cause heavy periods.
Sharon

Dublin, Ireland

#5 Feb 10, 2010
Usually hypo does cause heavier periods but it can also cause amenorrhea - where periods stop altogether. This is what happened to me - I had been regular beforehand and suddenly they just completely stopped and the weight gain began. Thats not to say the same thing is going on with you, I'm just saying it doesn't always have to cause heavier periods.
Maria

Gainesville, FL

#6 Feb 10, 2010
Oh, I agree - but no periods is a completely different animal from light periods.
Dana

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 10, 2010
When it was 6 month into my hair loss depression and all hypo symptoms I went to physician he ran my tests and my TSH was 2.96, He said it was normal. But It seems to me I lost 6 month of my life to struggle with weight and severe depression, I knew I was hypo despite his diagnosis.
So in two month i went to endo she ran test again and voila TSH 4.02 and my T4 and T3 re very low.
The normal range is around 1 or 2. I guess you have to run T4 and T3 tests too.
Ruth

Montenegro

#8 May 9, 2010
Dana wrote:
When it was 6 month into my hair loss depression and all hypo symptoms I went to physician he ran my tests and my TSH was 2.96, He said it was normal. But It seems to me I lost 6 month of my life to struggle with weight and severe depression, I knew I was hypo despite his diagnosis.
So in two month i went to endo she ran test again and voila TSH 4.02 and my T4 and T3 re very low.
The normal range is around 1 or 2. I guess you have to run T4 and T3 tests too.
So, are you down to a 1 or 2 yet? If so, do you notice the difference in symptoms? I am at 2.98 and am having bad muscle pains and joint pains. My doc. says it is not from the thyroid because my TSH is "good" now. Also, my ovulation is not back on track yet. Should I get my TSH down to a 1 or 2?

Since: Feb 10

Rockford, IL

#9 May 11, 2010
Bell wrote:
Hi All,
I have been feeling so irritable and moody lately, and my mum used to be hypoactive. Anyways, went and got blood test results today and my TSH is at 3.2. Apparently a normal level is between .5 and 5 but I got told its updated levels are .5-3. Does anyone know? Not too sure whether to get a second opinion or not!
Thanks!
no that is normal,I just found out yesterday mine is very low,my tsh is 1,0,I had blood work yesterday at the hospital by another docter that wanted that chick,she called me and told me that is very low and who is the docter that has me on meds,she was mad and was going to fax him paper work,I should hear from him today,I told this docter that the docter that put me on meds said it was normal.she was mad very mad and said no ots not,so today im waiting for him to call me,
jansoames

Norwich, UK

#10 May 11, 2010
Bell wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
Hi there.... yes I think upto 5 is an antiquated scale. And you can still be symptomatic at 3. They need to get your TSH to about 1 and then treat you symptomatically. My doc in the UK was using the old scale and I suffered for a couple of years and then got myxedema. THEN they did something. Go back and ask to see and endo
not a victim

Highgate Hill, Australia

#11 May 21, 2011
Anyone had TSH level of 66?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hypothyroidism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hypothyroid veganism Fri thyroidcientist 1
TSH levels, what is normal range? (Oct '08) Aug 21 F B C 195
News Dr. Drew Pinsky: Medical care Hillary Clinton i... Aug 18 Ellen Knicker Rider 2
Hypothyroidism and hair loss (Jan '16) Aug 13 kansas93 4
Change in body odour!!! (May '10) Aug 11 joanna 40
Losing Weight With Hypothyroid (May '07) Aug 1 guest 414
A 2 Month Wait!?!? Jul 28 TiredMom 1
More from around the web