Stop taking synthroid, how to & benefits?

Posted in the Hypothyroidism Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jen

Bowling Green, KY

#1 May 21, 2010
I've been taking synthroid for about 2 yrs. Recently my dose was increased to .88. I have gained weight over the past year, cannot lose weight no matter how hard I try, feel sluggish, foggy/confused, heart races, loss of hair, overly hot and have muscle aches & pains. Now my BP is super high as well as my cholesterol so I've been prescribed BP medicine and cholesterol medicine- I'm only 32.

Is there anyone out there that has stopped taking synthroid and felt better? If so how did you stop taking synthroid, by slowly weaning off if it? Any side affects? Of course I'm calling my dr to see what I need to do but I'm curious if anyone has gelt "better" after no longer taking their thyroid med. Thanks, Jen

Since: Feb 10

Moline, IL

#2 May 21, 2010
Jen wrote:
I've been taking synthroid for about 2 yrs. Recently my dose was increased to .88. I have gained weight over the past year, cannot lose weight no matter how hard I try, feel sluggish, foggy/confused, heart races, loss of hair, overly hot and have muscle aches & pains. Now my BP is super high as well as my cholesterol so I've been prescribed BP medicine and cholesterol medicine- I'm only 32.
Is there anyone out there that has stopped taking synthroid and felt better? If so how did you stop taking synthroid, by slowly weaning off if it? Any side affects? Of course I'm calling my dr to see what I need to do but I'm curious if anyone has gelt "better" after no longer taking their thyroid med. Thanks, Jen
yes,she gain twice much weight,shes still off it,she went from 140,to one 180,she just keeps gaining,she will not get back on it after docte told her to do it,
Jen

Bowling Green, KY

#3 May 21, 2010
Wooo you lost me... who are you referring to??? I got my answer from my physician.
Nicole

Castleton, VT

#4 May 7, 2011
It appears to me that Synthroid is some mysterious drug where it's hard to get the same info from doctors. I had blood levels and symptoms of hypo but I have extreme trouble gaining and maintaining a decent weight. I'm not a kid, so this as well as other things make me self conscious. I went on Synthroid 6 days/wk for about 7 weeks. Had heart palpatations, increased hair loss/breakage, more wt loss, insomnia, etc. Called my doc to discuss going off/changing med and he actually yelled at me. When he called back to apologize, he said this drug has a 7 day half life, just stop taking it, and it should be out of my system in about 30 days. Passed that point now and will have my blood work redone in 2-3 weeks..hope it's fine. Anyone know of a great doc in Long Island, NY, NYC, or Vermont?Even a bad day is no excuse for a tantrum from a doc. Found out after going out of network and paying him well that his only job is getting the TSH down and my other symptoms are not his concern. Wow...that blew me away!
Good luck getting off the synthroid. Have also heard that others have weaned off. Insist the doc help you and maybe check with your pharmacist too. We're all different..maybe my low dose over a short period of time and my TSH level lead him to advise me to just stop.(Or maybe he was just crazy)
Good luck!
8675309jlt

United States

#5 May 21, 2011
Ive been taking synthroid for 20yrs..i slowly weaned myself off of it over two months..n I regret it...ive gained about 20lbs in a month..skin is soo dry no moisturiser will work..brain is soo fogged my entire body is soo swollen..my muscles are fatigued I can hardly move..i even feel like im talking in slow motion..just had blood test done..n well not only is my thyroid in complete failure my cholesterol levels r high...i cant get synthroid back in my system fast enough..i felt like I was a day or two away from death..but thats my experience
Nancy

Overland Park, KS

#6 Jul 7, 2011
Jen wrote:
You may not be on enough thyroid, I have the same symptoms. Endocrinologists like to play it safe. you average dose of Synthroid is 100-125mg. I take compounded T3 and working my way up to 100mg. Also do you have a cortisol deficiency? Check with you dr. Your alternative dr.'s will treat thryoid more aggressively.
barbie

Calgary, Canada

#7 Aug 13, 2011
You should continue to take your medications
Peter L

Macomb, MO

#8 Sep 12, 2011
Have you tried Iodine replacement????????

8675309jlt wrote:
Ive been taking synthroid for 20yrs..i slowly weaned myself off of it over two months..n I regret it...ive gained about 20lbs in a month..skin is soo dry no moisturiser will work..brain is soo fogged my entire body is soo swollen..my muscles are fatigued I can hardly move..i even feel like im talking in slow motion..just had blood test done..n well not only is my thyroid in complete failure my cholesterol levels r high...i cant get synthroid back in my system fast enough..i felt like I was a day or two away from death..but thats my experience
Ralph

Eaton Rapids, MI

#9 Sep 26, 2011
Jen wrote:
I have the same symptoms as you do. I am looking into changing from levothroxine to a natural desiccated thyroid medication. Hope you found something that helped you.
brad

San Diego, CA

#10 Sep 28, 2011
I have. Without consulting my doctor I stopped taking my Sythroid.
After 6 weeks, I felt great and what's more my thyroid blood tests improved and I now have normal thyroid blood levels.
My doctor says the lab results are impossible.(This is not the first time I have been told I have impossible blood test results!)
dale

Canada

#11 Oct 14, 2011
search for and contact Dr. David Brownstein. He specializes in thyroid problems
Stacy

United States

#12 Nov 15, 2011
I have taken sythroid for 4 yrs. I have had severe leg and joint pain for thoses 4 yrs, and well as brain fog"that's what I call it" which has caused depression. I have been off the med for 2 weeks and feel great!!! No pain!!! I'm not sure what my doc would say but I know how much better I feel and that's all that matters to me!!!!
meohmy

San Francisco, CA

#13 Jan 20, 2012
do you have to wean slowly to get off?
been on 80 for about 3 months, and I think I am not benefitting.
Can I stop all at once?
kathy

New Baltimore, MI

#14 Feb 15, 2012
Jen wrote:
i was on synthroid for ten yrs. and had to ween myself off by breaking the pill in half and only taking half the does for a week then cutting it in half agian for another week then just stopped taking it, and yes i feel alot better! i had hypothyroidism and after ten yrs it reversed to hyperthyroidism thats why i weened myself off.
kathy

New Baltimore, MI

#15 Feb 15, 2012
sorry put it in the wrong box i was answering jens question. thats my comment about being on synthroid for ten yrs.
Tired

Glasgow, KY

#16 Feb 16, 2012
Drs. don't seem to want to help us or don't take the time , my Dr never gave me any info about this illness, everything I have learned I have read off the internet, But please do not stop taking meds and not replacing it with something else, it affects more than alot of us realize , not just aches and pains , hair loss, neck sweats at night , twitching mostly at night, fatigued all the TIME, brain fog, memory, but it also affects our organs, liver heart more that I can't remember(no surprise I can't remember lol) I have stop takeing my meds at times, not by choice ,just no insurance and can't afford Dr. sometimes, and I feel alittle better at first but after a couple of months I feel like I'm losing my mind, can't function. Know of someone that stopped taking meds then had a heartattack. Not trying to act like a knowit all, believe me ,I'm always looking for more answers. just worried about your health. we have to keep searching someone has to have more answers for us, has anyone ever tried other Drs. like chinese,amish,indian ?
Katy

Hudson, WI

#17 Feb 17, 2012
I'm thinking about stopping my B/p Medication(Low Blood Pressure) and synthroid. My Heart medication are because I have had a spontaneous spiral Di-section which my heart has rerouted the blood supply and heart is doing fine the medication are a per-caution to prevent a heart attack. I have had high Cholesterol for about 10 years and with the help of Medication (Crestor)got very low now but still taking the.
I'm on synthroid medication because I Have nodules in my thyroid.I have talked to the Doctor and he said I need to take them My Husband said I have a drug addiction But I know the truth So I don't know what to do?
Tammy

Columbus, OH

#18 Mar 9, 2012
I know this is odd and it's "unconventional" treatment as my doctor puts it but I have a normal functioning thyroid and my doctor put me on a low dose of synthroid so that I wouldn't gain weight while I stopped smoking. He's doing a report on it so I guess I'm his guinee pig. He told me it wouldn't hurt me and he would wean me off of it later. I was a bit scared to take it, because I didn't want it to mess my thyroid up. He said the thyroid slows when you quit smoking. I do have many hypothroid symptoms. I've been taking it for two weeks and I feel GREAT! I have more energy and have been more active BUT I'm unable to quit smoking. I'm worried about what this medication will do to me or I could I actually be hypo but my levels are showing normal anyway. I read where tests aren't always accurate. I don't know what to do and I just started seeing this doctor and don't know if I should trust him. Thanks.
Ashley

Denver, CO

#19 Mar 22, 2012
Tammy,
Synthroid is usually only used on extremely obese people if they don't have a thyroid problem. My advise is don't take the synthroid (and quit smoking!!!) if you don't have a thyroid problem. Synthroid actually speeds up the process of killing your thyroid so it could even cause you to develop a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if the smoking actually caused hypothyroidism over time, it is an extremely sensitive organ. I say do some research. I myself wish I had never taken it, and focused on changing my diet and exercise habits. I came to this site hoping to get answers on that, I'v had it 5 years and take 112... Guess ill check with the doc and see
Prettygirl

Broussard, LA

#20 May 24, 2012
I had a partial thyroidectomy in 2011 and since then I have hypothyroidism & been on Synthriod 1 yr. Since then Ive been on a roller coaster. Im a nurse & Im confused now more than ever. My hair is falling, Im always tired, severe body aches, headaches, severe lack of energy, palpatations at times & weight gain no matter what I do. My levels are within normal limits, but why all these bad symptoms. Im 38 yrs old & I feel absolutely horrible. Feel as thou Im pregnant & Im not. Then I get on line & do some research & apply it to what I already know & it seems to me some doctors need to study this sitution along with Synthroid a little further in depth & listen to the patients. Seems to me even though our blood work is normal, something is wrong, otherwise we wouldnt still be having these bad effects as we seemingly all are. At this time, my recommendation is to see an Endocrinologist, someone who specializes in glands & hormone functions. Even though it has crossed my mind, DO NOT STOP TAKING YOUR MEDICATION, I HAVE NOT. There are my risk and complications that can occur if doing so, whether tappering it or abruptly stopping. Whether you feel good after you stop, lets not forget about the long term and overall effect it causes later on. You may not have problems immediately after, but eventually you will. Research and remember all the important functions that the thyroid, thyroid hormones and replacement therapy do for the body.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hypothyroidism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TSH levels, what is normal range? (Oct '08) Dec 13 Marilyn 171
Hypothyroidism mentally & emotionally suffering? (Jan '11) Dec 13 juanGonzalez1 46
Change in body odour!!! (May '10) Dec 2 MLN25 33
TSH between 5.5 - 6.0 and Insomnia (Nov '09) Oct '14 avilasha 21
hypothyroidism and being in the military (Apr '12) Oct '14 REAZZON 2
hypothyroidism Oct '14 leowalj53 1
High thyroid levels Sep '14 James Kantor 2
More from around the web