Sometimes I feel like I'm not getting...

Sometimes I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen

Posted in the Hypothyroidism Forum

Mark

Trenton, NJ

#1 Apr 2, 2010
I have hypothyroidism and I'm wondering if anyone else who has it experiences off an on sensations of not getting enough air where you have to breath in deeply to try to get more air. Maybe this has to do more with anxiety, but I'm not sure.

I'm currently taking 75mcg of Levothyroxin a day but I still tired and not sharp most of the time. Some days a little better than others. My often weak-sounding, hoarse voice is annoying me. It's not my real voice and I often sound like a 90-year-old with a weak voice. This crap has effected my life and I am pissed--it is holding me back from accomplishing what I want to.

Since: Apr 10

Pflugerville, TX

#2 Apr 2, 2010
Mark, I have only been taking it for a day, but researching like crazy. Take it for what it's worth. I do see a lot of people in that really long thread talking about not being able to breathe properly sometimes. So, it's a normal (haha) side effect.
Mark

Croydon, PA

#3 Apr 5, 2010
Thanks you for the response.
Mark

Croydon, PA

#4 Apr 5, 2010
I mean, thank you. lol!
rebecca

Bloomington, IN

#5 Apr 9, 2010
i also have this air hunger symptom. it started shortly after starting the synthroid...but it comes and goes. i will have it 2 weeks and then it will go away for 2 weeks. my doctor says that my tsh is too low (0.2) and my free t4 is too high. i was taking 75mcg but he told me to go down to 50mcg. immediately (like 10 hours after taking the lower dose) i started to feel horrible. i was so achy and tired. i couldn't sleep because everthing hurt. i also was getting sporadic fevers (a hyperthyroid symptom?) i went back up to 75mcg and within one hour my heart started racing. i feel a little bit better today but my heart is beating really fast. does anyone else notice the effects immediately after changing their dose of synthroid?
Brenda C

Dyersburg, TN

#6 May 18, 2010
Mark wrote:
I have hypothyroidism and I'm wondering if anyone else who has it experiences off an on sensations of not getting enough air where you have to breath in deeply to try to get more air. Maybe this has to do more with anxiety, but I'm not sure.
I'm currently taking 75mcg of Levothyroxin a day but I still tired and not sharp most of the time. Some days a little better than others. My often weak-sounding, hoarse voice is annoying me. It's not my real voice and I often sound like a 90-year-old with a weak voice. This crap has effected my life and I am pissed--it is holding me back from accomplishing what I want to.
Hi Mark, I know how you feel because I'm the same way I have lost my voice for 3 weeks now but nobody seems to know what is going on with me. I have had ultrasounds and CT Scans but the still don't know what is wrong with me. They are telling me that I need to go see an ear noses and throat dr. I was told on my right side it was fuild in that goiter and hard on my left side of the goiter. But yet there is nothing they can find. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy and don't know what to do anymore I just wish I could have a dr that understands me. I have been going thur this stuff for a yr. The dr has even up my thyroid med and it still didn't help me.
jansoames

Norwich, UK

#7 May 19, 2010
Brenda C wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mark, I know how you feel because I'm the same way I have lost my voice for 3 weeks now but nobody seems to know what is going on with me. I have had ultrasounds and CT Scans but the still don't know what is wrong with me. They are telling me that I need to go see an ear noses and throat dr. I was told on my right side it was fuild in that goiter and hard on my left side of the goiter. But yet there is nothing they can find. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy and don't know what to do anymore I just wish I could have a dr that understands me. I have been going thur this stuff for a yr. The dr has even up my thyroid med and it still didn't help me.
Hi all what dosages are you on? I had this prob until I was upped to 125 micro gms. Am also on T3 which has helped.
Brenda C

Dyersburg, TN

#8 May 19, 2010
jansoames wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi all what dosages are you on? I had this prob until I was upped to 125 micro gms. Am also on T3 which has helped.
Right now i'm on 100mcgs. I have been to two different drs and a surgeron over my problem and all I get is I can't find anything I am so tired of fighting. On top of it all my potassium has also been dropping to. I had went to the ER because my legs were getting so heavy to the point it was hard to move them and they told me my potassium was 2.7 this is the second time my potassium has dropped. Last time it was 2.5 and I ended up in the hospital. I was very close to start having heart problems the dr there told me to make sure I keep any eye on that and make sure i eat stuff with high in potassium and I have been doing that. It really has been a battle for me.
jansoames

Norwich, UK

#9 May 23, 2010
Brenda C wrote:
<quoted text>
Right now i'm on 100mcgs. I have been to two different drs and a surgeron over my problem and all I get is I can't find anything I am so tired of fighting. On top of it all my potassium has also been dropping to. I had went to the ER because my legs were getting so heavy to the point it was hard to move them and they told me my potassium was 2.7 this is the second time my potassium has dropped. Last time it was 2.5 and I ended up in the hospital. I was very close to start having heart problems the dr there told me to make sure I keep any eye on that and make sure i eat stuff with high in potassium and I have been doing that. It really has been a battle for me.
Hello. If things get no better look into T3. Evidently quite a few hypo people cannot convert T4 to T3 so it doesn't ,atter how high a dosage they give you nothing will change. This is what I have got.... think in US drs and endos not into T3 at all. My endo is quite pro it. Also there is a website run by a Dr Lowe. He has done lots of work with T3 well worth a read. Good Luck
Christine

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Jun 11, 2010
Mark, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about a year ago. Prior to my diagnosis and getting on medication, I had all the typical symptoms as well as the sensation that I was not getting enough air. I would feel the need to take very deep breaths to get enough oxygen, and sometimes it would wake me up in the middle of the night. After getting on synthroid, it went away. I always wondered if it was a symptom of hypothyroid but you never hear anyone talk about it or list it. My other symptoms were, fatigue, weakness, weight gain (15 miserable pounds that would NOT come off), mental sluggishnes, low body temp, bad menstral periods, and dry skin/hair.
Mark

Trenton, NJ

#11 Jun 11, 2010
Christine wrote:
Mark, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid about a year ago. Prior to my diagnosis and getting on medication, I had all the typical symptoms as well as the sensation that I was not getting enough air. I would feel the need to take very deep breaths to get enough oxygen, and sometimes it would wake me up in the middle of the night. After getting on synthroid, it went away. I always wondered if it was a symptom of hypothyroid but you never hear anyone talk about it or list it. My other symptoms were, fatigue, weakness, weight gain (15 miserable pounds that would NOT come off), mental sluggishnes, low body temp, bad menstral periods, and dry skin/hair.
You're symptoms mirror mine except I obviously don't have menstrual problems. I have gained weight but I must say that it's not a problem. I have always wanted to gain some weight. So far I've been fortunate that my weight isn't out of control. But the brain fog, exhaustion, and often difficulty getting enough sleep is still a problem. One of the more annoying problems is that I sometimes have slowed speech that makes me sound like a goober. And you know how people are very judgmental. So if you talk like a goober eventually you'll be treated like a goober even though you are quite intelligent.
Mark

Trenton, NJ

#12 Jun 11, 2010
That you be, "Your symptoms" WOW!
TAPY

Newnan, GA

#13 Apr 2, 2011
USMom wrote:
Mark, I have only been taking it for a day, but researching like crazy. Take it for what it's worth. I do see a lot of people in that really long thread talking about not being able to breathe properly sometimes. So, it's a normal (haha) side effect.
I FEEL LIKE THAT SOME TIME TOO. I HAD TT IN OCT 2010 AND TAKING 112 SYNTHYROID. DO YOU THINK WE NEED TO UP OUR THYROID MED?
Samantha

Birchgrove, Australia

#14 Apr 10, 2011
Christine wrote:
I cant believe I stumbled on this. I have experienced all the above Christine, exacty as you say. I have a goiter also. A couple of times during the day, I tend to feel as though I am not getting enough air also. My periods are dreadful and painful, I have also just started to go through menapause. I have just recently been tested for hypothyrodism, however, my doctor says the range is fine, although I have very high levels of antibodies. I know that although my results are in the "normal range" I am not right. Can you tell me about the medication you are taking?
Thanks
Samantha

Birchgrove, Australia

#15 Apr 10, 2011
I cant believe I stumbled on this. I have experienced all the above Christine, exacty as you say. I have a goiter also. A couple of times during the day, I tend to feel as though I am not getting enough air also. My periods are dreadful and painful, I have also just started to go through menapause. I have just recently been tested for hypothyrodism, however, my doctor says the range is fine, although I have very high levels of antibodies. I know that although my results are in the "normal range" I am not right. Can you tell me about the medication you are taking?
Thanks
Lori

Kansas City, MO

#16 Feb 16, 2013
Wow, I cannot believe what I'm reading! I have been having A LOT of trouble breathing. Like I'm not getting enough oxygen, and I have the hardest time taking in a deep breath. At times, it is down right suffocating. I thought I was having heart problems, never even thought about my thyroid troubles (I'm hypo). I am embarrassed to say that I often forget to take my pill. I have always been horrible about taking pills. Thanks for all your postings (and Mark for the original!!) I might need to get checked again!!
Terri

Cape Coral, FL

#17 Feb 16, 2013
Yes I do feel as though I can't get enough air. But I heard it was common for that to happen as we'll as not being able to speak in a loud tone of voice do to it making you're neck hurt.
Phantom Fan

Dacula, GA

#18 Feb 16, 2013
Lori, try keeping a large calendar and pen in a spot where you will have to see it to write down when you take your pill. I have no problem remembering to take my thyroid pill but because I take my blood pressure pill at the end of the day I sometimes briefly forget about it. I fixed this by keeping a calendar in the kitchen on one of the cabinet doors. I keep my BP pills right under it, I take the pill and then mark it on the calendar. I keep the pills in the kitchen because I live alone, wouldn't do it if I had kids in the house. Good luck.
Ashley

Luzerne, PA

#19 Mar 29, 2013
Wow!! Everything must be related, I started having my hair fall out, then terrible insomnia, followed by panic attacks, they just gave me celexa, which caused crazy panic attacks , which caused seizure like heart palpitations to the point the doctor was considering heart medication for tachycardia !! I was scared to leave my house in fear I would have panic attacks , and my insomnia was so bad I would stay up for days. I went to the obgyn where I found out my tsh was low but they never contacted my physician!!! So 4 months later I found out I'm hypo , I have been on levothyroxine and Paxil for anxiety, I can't stop either one, I tried several times, separately. I've been to homeopathic doctors who have said I have hypoglycemia also, and it seems that two weeks before my period my symptoms return , until I get my period.
gnastica

Canada

#20 Jul 1, 2013
Ashley wrote:
Wow!! Everything must be related, I started having my hair fall out, then terrible insomnia, followed by panic attacks, they just gave me celexa, which caused crazy panic attacks , which caused seizure like heart palpitations to the point the doctor was considering heart medication for tachycardia !! I was scared to leave my house in fear I would have panic attacks , and my insomnia was so bad I would stay up for days. I went to the obgyn where I found out my tsh was low but they never contacted my physician!!! So 4 months later I found out I'm hypo , I have been on levothyroxine and Paxil for anxiety, I can't stop either one, I tried several times, separately. I've been to homeopathic doctors who have said I have hypoglycemia also, and it seems that two weeks before my period my symptoms return , until I get my period.
\You probably need Progesterone, if your doctor won't prescribe oral Prometrium, 200 mgs at night, to help you sleep and get rid of anxiety, use progesterone cream you can buy online, Emerita Progest was my favourite before I got on the oral. and maybe ask doctor to switch you to Natural dessicated thyroid it works way better and no anxiety for me! you will get rid of the low sugars, if you use progesterone, it balances blood sugar, and once your thyroid hormones are balanced this will all improve. I know, it happened to me, they even thought I was diabetic, but I wasn't, I just had zero progesterone and low thyroid (subclinical).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hypothyroidism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Losing Weight With Hypothyroid (May '07) Mar 15 guest 418
Levothyroxine & Weight Loss (Jul '07) Feb 27 Dbarnhouse 3,265
Confusing labs Feb 26 CindyEB 1
What are my labs saying? Feb '17 henrisgirl 1
Stop taking synthroid, how to & benefits? (May '10) Feb '17 Chgonana539 86
Hypothyroidism with normal thyroid function! (Feb '11) Feb '17 Piotr 10
Eutirox and Weight Gain? (Oct '10) Feb '17 laura 9
More from around the web