Drive to End AIDS in U.S. Stalls as E...

Drive to End AIDS in U.S. Stalls as Epidemic Grips Minority Communities

There are 37 comments on the Bloomberg story from Jul 23, 2012, titled Drive to End AIDS in U.S. Stalls as Epidemic Grips Minority Communities. In it, Bloomberg reports that:

Monique Moree is the new face of the AIDS epidemic in the U.S. The 31-year-old stay-at-home mom, who is black, was pregnant with her third child in 2005 when she found out she had HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bloomberg.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

#1 Jul 23, 2012
Black men, squirting AIDS into a good woman near you.

It's all the downlow...
Aussie Bob

Adelaide, Australia

#2 Jul 23, 2012
Nothing suspicious about a Jewish Publication Syndicate like Bloomberg putting out a racially charged article like this now is there.

AIDS on da rise, ya digg...
Yuuki

United States

#3 Jul 23, 2012
Black women need to stop having sex with these knuckleheads until they get married.
And before you get married get an AIDS test. and even while your married you have to get tested because these men cheat like crazy. Most of the women I know who got AIDS got it from their husbands.
Women need to stop dating sputty men. I never liked spiffy perverts. If a man is too horny for sex of course he's going to cheat on you.
Yuuki

United States

#4 Jul 23, 2012
No further comments huh? I want to talk about this. How about some black men comment on this please? Black men are killing their wives with the disease. Are you guys so heartless you would just completely ignore this? These assholes are probably making a thread bashing black women right now. Bashing us for "not being nice" to that. when they come at us with the bullshit. Yet these dudes. are affecting wives and baby mama and they ain't got shot to say. SMDH.

Sorry but there is no hope for this generation of him men. When they attack us black women at least talk about it. Some serious shot like this, they can't. wait for the to go away...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#5 Jul 23, 2012
Statistics agree that AIDS is on the rise in the black community because of the high instances of unprotective sex, and the high use of drugs in the black community. Statistics agree with Yuuki.
Foresure

Petawawa, Canada

#6 Jul 23, 2012
Such a devastating disease that's so easily controlled. It takes but a few seconds to roll on a condom.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#7 Jul 23, 2012
I wonder if AIDS can get deadlier and kill off 100 of millions like epidemic of the past.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#8 Jul 23, 2012
It is too bad that the people who need these type of threads will never read them.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9 Jul 23, 2012
People that knowingly have AIDS and give it to others should get the death penalty so they can't infect any others on purpose.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 23, 2012
^^How do you feel about those who are just too careless to check their status! There are many more of those spreading this illness.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#11 Jul 24, 2012
This is what the state of Georgia thinks about people that know they have HIV and give it to others.

Cops: HIV-positive woman didn't tell
By Alexis Stevens

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

For more than nine months, a former Cobb County woman allegedly kept a big secret from her boyfriend, according to police. She was HIV positive.

.When her boyfriend found her prescription medication used to treat the virus, he confronted her, according to an arrest warrant obtained by the AJC. Angela London, 41, previously of Marietta, admitted to being infected, according to police.

Then, she moved to Texas. But she could be on her way back to Georgia to face a felony charge of reckless conduct for not informing the victim that she was HIV positive before having sex, according to police.

State law requires that HIV-infected people disclose their infection status to another person prior to sexual activity or before sharing injection drug needles, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health.

If arrested and returned to Cobb County, London would be jailed on $100,000 bond, her arrest warrant states. No information was available if the former boyfriend has been tested for HIV.

London was the victim's girlfriend from October until late June, when the boyfriend, whose name was not released, found the medication Zidovudine belonging to London, according to police.

"The victim did not know the accused was HIV positive," a Marietta police officer stated in the warrant. "The victim confronted the accused about being infected with HIV. She admitted to being infected and left for Texas."

Investigators believe London is now living in Cedar Hill, Texas, about 15 miles outside of Dallas. Address records show London has lived most of her adult life in Texas.

An estimated 1.2 million people in the United States are HIV positive, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and one in five of those infected are unaware they have the virus.
Yuuki

Dallas, TX

#12 Jul 24, 2012
Its good that they arrest people who knowingly spread the disease. Its sad that you have the illness but that gives you no right to be careless with other peoples lives.

But what about the people who don't know and spread the disease? Nothing can be dome to them and sometimes they spread the disease to hundreds of others.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#13 Jul 24, 2012
Yuuki wrote:
Its good that they arrest people who knowingly spread the disease. Its sad that you have the illness but that gives you no right to be careless with other peoples lives.
But what about the people who don't know and spread the disease? Nothing can be dome to them and sometimes they spread the disease to hundreds of others.
While there is no excuse for taking the risk of passing it on to anyone else, criminalization of the disease stops many from getting tested. If you don't know, you can't be charged, so many choose to not know.

Rather than relying on the other person to protect you, everyone should learn and practice risk reduction including use of condoms or safe sex practices such as frottage if they aren't absolutely sure of the status of their partner.
Menois a Trois

United States

#14 Jul 24, 2012
yadda yadda AIDS hits blacks harder because that is how HIV/AIDS was DESIGNED.

Duh.

Kip

“Brian's alter ego”

Since: Feb 07

San Francisco, CA

#15 Jul 24, 2012
In the 80's there was little to no talk of black people and AIDS, because most of the people dying were gay white men. That's who the disease was associated with. I'm a straight black man and remember asking my doctor for a test anyway. He asked whether I had sex with a man and if I used intravenous drugs. I answered, "NO" AND "NO". The doctor grinned and sent me on my way giving me the impression such a test would be a waste of time and resources. The thinking was that heterosexual incidents of HIV would be low even among black men.

Things seem to have changed a lot. I don't think any doctor would laugh off anyone's request for a test since transmission amongst heterosexuals is more common these days.
Menois a Trois

United States

#16 Jul 24, 2012
Kip wrote:
In the 80's there was little to no talk of black people and AIDS, because most of the people dying were gay white men. That's who the disease was associated with. I'm a straight black man and remember asking my doctor for a test anyway. He asked whether I had sex with a man and if I used intravenous drugs. I answered, "NO" AND "NO".
they also asked if you had been given a blood transfusion in a list of African countries that they listed, in between 1977 and 1980.

Game, set, Match.
Korrlla

Netherlands

#17 Jul 24, 2012
Menois a Trois.....yadda yadda AIDS hits blacks harder because that is how HIV/AIDS was DESIGNED

Kip...... In the 80's there was little to no talk of black people and AIDS, because most of the people dying were gay white men. That's who the disease was associated with.

Si Aids was designed to target blacks and yet whites were the most affected?

Lol
Menois a Trois

United States

#18 Jul 24, 2012
Korrlla wrote:
Menois a Trois.....yadda yadda AIDS hits blacks harder because that is how HIV/AIDS was DESIGNED
Kip...... In the 80's there was little to no talk of black people and AIDS, because most of the people dying were gay white men. That's who the disease was associated with.
Si Aids was designed to target blacks and yet whites were the most affected?
Lol
whites were only the most affected EARLY ON when the US government laced Hepatitis B vaccines given to gay white men with HIV. Africa and blacks were always the main target, and nobody even heard of HIV/AIDS in Africa until the 1980's. Some whites get AIDS but the designers of this virus were not going to make a virus that would decimate their own race (CCR5 Delta 32 mutation).

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#19 Jul 24, 2012
Menois a Trois wrote:
yadda yadda AIDS hits blacks harder because that is how HIV/AIDS was DESIGNED.
Duh.
If people wouldn't share needles, and use protection during sex then blacks could avoid this illness.
Bob Johnson

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Jul 24, 2012
Yuuki wrote:
But what about the people who don't know and spread the disease? Nothing can be dome to them and sometimes they spread the disease to hundreds of others.
You have got to be black to make such a dumb statement.

Know we know why the rate of new HIV cases has skyrocketed in the black community.

Spreading the disease to "HUNDREDS OF OTHERS"????

So you say blacks have unprotected sex with HUNDREDS of partners?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

HIV/AIDS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
truvada for sale (Jul '13) 7 hr condocaine 37
hiv anonymous chat room (Oct '12) 8 hr MARRIED MUSLIM MAN 1,825
Muslim poz seeking muslimah,,,,,,, (Feb '14) 23 hr Lookman 157
why is it so hard to find muslims with hiv/aids? (Dec '12) 23 hr Lookman 150
News HIV-Positive Women in Uganda Are Being Steriliz... Wed Three Days 1
News The Perfect Storm Facing Black Men on HIV Wed SBT 2
News Nigeria's Anti-Gay Laws Keep Men From Seeking H... May 2 Belles Echoes 8
More from around the web