Court decides if gay juror can be taken off case

Sep 18, 2013 Full story: KPIC 38

A multibillion dollar case between two giant pharmaceutical companies grappling over arcane antitrust issues has unexpectedly turned into a gay rights legal imbroglio that raises questions over whether lawyers can bounce potential jurors solely based on their sexual orientation.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Sep 18, 2013
And the bias against gays continues....
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Sep 18, 2013
Gays are single issue people. They are a danger to all civil function. Gays are a threat to national security. Look what that gay dude recently convicted did and now he wants to become a she. They're all screwed up in their perception of life. Most of them are at the forefront of pushing drugs and they use drugs to molest the young people they lay hands on... They've gone on prime time radio bragging about their "over a thousand" anonymous trysts and that they have AIDS and have given it to others. How stupid must a citizenry be to allow this madness to continue and expand? Pretty damned stupid. Gays are destroying Western Civilization. Their propaganda must be stopped first and their behavior recriminalized.
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Pennington, NJ

#3 Sep 18, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Gays are single issue people. They are a danger to all civil function. Gays are a threat to national security. Look what that gay dude recently convicted did and now he wants to become a she. They're all screwed up in their perception of life. Most of them are at the forefront of pushing drugs and they use drugs to molest the young people they lay hands on... They've gone on prime time radio bragging about their "over a thousand" anonymous trysts and that they have AIDS and have given it to others. How stupid must a citizenry be to allow this madness to continue and expand? Pretty damned stupid. Gays are destroying Western Civilization. Their propaganda must be stopped first and their behavior recriminalized.
Actually coldweiner, it is vermin like you that are destroying western civilization. If you want to live in a theocracy may I suggest Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan!!

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#4 Sep 18, 2013
Why would they be able to reject a juror for being gay anymore then they could reject one on racial or religious grounds? This is ridiculous.
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Sep 18, 2013
lides wrote:
Why would they be able to reject a juror for being gay anymore then they could reject one on racial or religious grounds? This is ridiculous.
It would have to do with the case having some gay issue. It's no different than keeping a serial murderer off a murder case.
Eleanor

Mundelein, IL

#6 Sep 18, 2013
Appears it is his familiarity with the problem and that he lost a friend to AIDS (and the case is about AIDS medication) and that he works for the courts.

His 'gayness' is not really the issue here. He just happens to be gay.

He could have easily been straight with a friend who died from AIDS.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#7 Sep 18, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
It would have to do with the case having some gay issue. It's no different than keeping a serial murderer off a murder case.
We don't stop divorced judges from sitting on divorce court. There is a certain level where one has to accept that juries are people and will come to the task with a level of human experience that they cannot,and should not, divorce themselves from.

The issue here is antitrust, not gay rights. There is no reason why a gay juror could be any less impartial than anyone else.

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Sep 18, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Except of course none of that is true.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Sep 18, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
Then no straight person would be able to serve as a juror on any case involving a straight issue, including this case about HIV/AIDS medications since millions of straight people have HIV/AIDS as well.
A Pa Transsexual

Laguna Hills, CA

#10 Sep 18, 2013
Please don't paint us with Gay brush. Gays are Gay, and we are not gay! We are TRANSSEXUAL! Gays do not feel that dissonance between body gender and mental gender that we feel and do not wish to bring their bodies into line with their minds as we do. But I do agree that Gays are single issue people. There seems to be a gay position on everything that they feel compelled to assume, whatever it may be.
Cordwainer Trout wrote:

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#11 Sep 18, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Then no straight person would be able to serve as a juror on any case involving a straight issue, including this case about HIV/AIDS medications since millions of straight people have HIV/AIDS as well.
you just can't help spewing stupid, can ya.

btw, thanks to the homosexual community, heterosexuals have aids/hiv...

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Sep 18, 2013
A Pa Transsexual wrote:
Please don't paint us with Gay brush. Gays are Gay, and we are not gay! We are TRANSSEXUAL! Gays do not feel that dissonance between body gender and mental gender that we feel and do not wish to bring their bodies into line with their minds as we do. But I do agree that Gays are single issue people. There seems to be a gay position on everything that they feel compelled to assume, whatever it may be.
<quoted text>
If I believe I'm a llama, that doesn't make me a llama....

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Sep 18, 2013
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
you just can't help spewing stupid, can ya.
btw, thanks to the homosexual community, heterosexuals have aids/hiv...
Except that HIV started in the heterosexual community in Africa and spread around the world from there.
A Pa Transsexual

Laguna Hills, CA

#14 Sep 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If I believe I'm a llama, that doesn't make me a llama....
How about if you cannot get comfortable with yourself as a male? You've done most of the stuff men do and you don't care about any of it? Add to that the fact that you've spent your whole life wishing you had a female body to go with your female mind. It isn't much of a "Choice" and nothing has ever been able to erase this feeling from your conciousness.
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#15 Sep 19, 2013
A Pa Transsexual wrote:
<quoted text>
How about if you cannot get comfortable with yourself as a male? You've done most of the stuff men do and you don't care about any of it? Add to that the fact that you've spent your whole life wishing you had a female body to go with your female mind. It isn't much of a "Choice" and nothing has ever been able to erase this feeling from your conciousness.
There is no such thing as being born in the wrong body. Only the wrong mind.

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Sep 19, 2013
A Pa Transsexual wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd suggest counseling and ask why you reject your own flesh based on societal norms of what defines a man & woman.

Who ever said a man has to have a penis or a woman has to have a vagina?
William Munny

Winona, MN

#17 Sep 19, 2013
"Lawyers said they felt the juror's impartiality was compromised because he was the only potential juror who had heard of the SmithKline treatment in question, that he was also the only prospective juror who had lost a friend to AIDS and that he worked for courts."

His impartiality was in question for the reasons given. Courts do this all the time for less than this. Quit crying, "terminally offended and outraged" homosexuals!

You "say" you want to be treated equally, but apparently what you really want is to be propped up on a pedestal and glorified, simply for having sex with a member of your own gender. What a bunch of sniveling whiners.

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#18 Sep 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>I'd suggest counseling and ask why you reject your own flesh based on societal norms of what defines a man & woman.

Who ever said a man has to have a penis or a woman has to have a vagina?
I'm really curious as to why whether this person is a woman or a man in mind, body, body, or spirit, it matters to anyone else.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Sep 20, 2013
Kimberling wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm really curious as to why whether this person is a woman or a man in mind, body, body, or spirit, it matters to anyone else.
Why does it matter whether a person thinks they're actually a lamppost or a alien or an emu?

I guess it would depend on how they interact with the rest of society.

Do you want your kids taught by someone who believes they are actually an alien from the planet Zooty?

Would they be considered a rational juror?

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#20 Sep 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>Why does it matter whether a person thinks they're actually a lamppost or a alien or an emu?

I guess it would depend on how they interact with the rest of society.

Do you want your kids taught by someone who believes they are actually an alien from the planet Zooty?

Would they be considered a rational juror?
My kids are taught what others do is not their business, if it doesn't harm them in anyway, that is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

HIV/AIDS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
38 HIV & Single (May '14) 3 hr Samuel 139
Syphilis on the Rise Among Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC 5 hr Bottleson 6
looking for friends with hiv 5 hr Joshua2014 9
just found out im hiv possitive 19 hr JeanieGal 1
hiv anonymous chat room (Oct '12) 19 hr bjean 894
looking for love Tue faith short 1
why is it so hard to find muslims with hiv/aids? (Dec '12) Dec 16 Fatima 77
More from around the web