Comments
161 - 180 of 1,869 Comments Last updated 10 hrs ago
Chris L

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#163
Mar 30, 2009
 
Angela: I had bi-lateral anterior hip replacement almost 2 years ago. I was also bone on bone and I think it is the best thing I ever could have done. I was 58 and had both done at the same time. Recovery was fast, and it is so great to be pain free and able to do everything I want to do. I play racquetball 3 times a week, ski, horseback ride, teach aerobics, you will be so happy when it it done, you will wonder why you waited so long. Recovery with little kids might be a bit of a challenge, but you will be amazed at how fast you do recover. Good luck to you, let me know how you are doing?
Angela M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#164
Mar 30, 2009
 
Chris L wrote:
Angela: I had bi-lateral anterior hip replacement almost 2 years ago. I was also bone on bone and I think it is the best thing I ever could have done. I was 58 and had both done at the same time. Recovery was fast, and it is so great to be pain free and able to do everything I want to do. I play racquetball 3 times a week, ski, horseback ride, teach aerobics, you will be so happy when it it done, you will wonder why you waited so long. Recovery with little kids might be a bit of a challenge, but you will be amazed at how fast you do recover. Good luck to you, let me know how you are doing?
Chris,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well! I had hoped to have both legs done at the same time, but due to the complexity of my case because of the prior surgeries, they can only do them one at a time.

I have spoken to several people who have had the surgery that have said I will be mad that I didn't do it sooner. I so hope that is the case!

Did you do physical therapy before and/or after surgery? Did your leg/hip feel "artificial" after surgery? Did it take getting used to?
Myron Weintraub

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#165
Mar 30, 2009
 
To Jim:

After the operation, during my stay in the hospital, when I was asked to rate my pain from 0 to 10-I always said 0. I really had no pain. The patient next to me had the same operation by the same surgeon and he did have pain. But I did not. Even the incision did not hurt and my surgeon said that I would experience pain in that area. I did many exercises (recommended by the surgeon) before the operation) starting about 2 months prior, and I attribute my lack of pain to the exercise to strengthen my thigh muscles, etc. I took tylenol only 20 minutes before physical therapy as a preventative measure. I felt that I was lucky in that I had no pain. I string tennis racquets and was able to resume doing so one day after coming home from the hospital.
Chris L

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#166
Mar 31, 2009
 
Angela: I was doing aa my physcial activities before my surgery, I even went to the beach the week before with my family, did a lot of boogie boarding, played racquetball up to the day before. I was in such pain after doing these things,(could barely move at night, couldn' cross my legs, etc.) but I didn't want to give them up, I guess it kept my muscles stronger. I did do physical therapy after my sugery, a girl came to my house 3 times a week for a month, then they said I didn't need anymore. the doctor said I was very fit and that is why I healed so quickly. I still do stretches every day, a lot the same as they showed me. I started teaching aerobics after 4 weeks, slowly,, but got better each time. Like Myron, I had no pain, my incisions were glued, and at first it was strange to walk, like my legs weren't mine, but that passed quickly and it was the best thing I ever did. Good luck! I know you will be so happy you did it and will wonder why you didn't do it sooner! You are having the anterior approach, right?
FastWalker

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#167
Mar 31, 2009
 
I had anterior hip replacement (left side) on 2/16/2009. Recovery was coming along very good, minimal pain, until about one week ago. Then my left knee started hurting along with some back pain. Surprised me. Had to go back to using a cane. Had 6 week checkup last week by my surgeon who wasn't too concerned after looking at X-rays taken at that time. Since I discontinued my physical therapy exercises about 4 weeks ago, could that have any bearing on what is happening? Anybody else run into a similar problem? Thanks, FastWalker --- Rochester, Illinois
Jeanne

Ionia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#168
Mar 31, 2009
 
Hello all!

I am considering the anterior hip replacement.
I am wondering what experiences people have had playing golf, following the anterior hip replacement.?? I would also like to know if running is possible, as I am unable to do so at this time. I am unable to extend my hip when I walk, and have quite the limp. Right now running is impossible.

Thanks!
Chris L

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#169
Apr 1, 2009
 
Jeanne: I was told no running or black diamond mogels, I was ok'd to play racquetball and you do run a bit, but not continuously. Not sure abould golf, but don't know why you couldn't play it. I even horseback ride, went on a 30 mile ride and had no problems at all.
Sophie Correll

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#170
Apr 9, 2009
 
Hi Gigi,
I also live in Williamsburg and am heartened to hear of your news. I had seen Dr. Jiranek at MCV in Richmond (he diagnosed me with hip dysplasia), but heard about Dr. Carter from a neighbor and actually called for a referral today. I want to have it done in July while things are quiet at work...will let you know how it goes. am 48 and very active biking and walking, but tired of the constant pain and clicking noise in left hip.
Just happy for you and your quick recovery!
Josephine

Doncaster, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#171
Apr 9, 2009
 
Jack Nicklaus has a hip replacement and you can bet he still plays golf! Golf is not a forbidden activity so long as it's not done too soon, like within 6 months.

The anterior approach is by far the easiest to recover from and has less complications like dislocation.

But make sure you get a GOOD surgeon who does in excess of 500 a year.

BoneSmart - the forum for hip/knee patients
http://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/index.p...
Gary Jones MD

Merrimack, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#173
Apr 15, 2009
 
Dr Gary Jones and Dr Jeff Wiley in Concord, NH have been doing the anterior hip arthroplasty for the last year. We are at Concord Orthopaedics
.
Flo Ochsenfeld wrote:
I had my left hip replacement done on August 21st and my right hip replacement done on October 22nd. I chose to have them done by an amazing new method: anterior hip replacement. I only have a 3" incision on both sides in front right above my thighs and I am doing extremely well. It is less than two weeks since the second hip was done and I can already walk with no cane and I am driving. I had hardly any pain and hardly any restrictions. There is only one doctor on the East Coast that performs this awesome surgery: Dr. Corey Burak in Hawthorne, New York. He is extremely nice and personable and did a fantastic job on my two operations. If you have any questions, let me know.
Jan Phoenix AZ

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#174
Apr 29, 2009
 
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to anyting and my daughter found this site for me. I have been reading everything in here for the past year or so. I am 54, overweight, and having my hip replaced on May 19th. I have been in pain for years, had a car accident that I believe was the culprit, but arthritis set in and I am bone on bone now. I was very active before my accident, but nothing arobic since, and that has been over 5 years ago. I questioned the doctor about my being a good candidate and he said yes. I am 5'11 and need to loose about 30 pounds. I have not found any reference from a previous patient that was overweight prior to this procedure. I am a fast healer normally, healthy, and am always moving, doing normal weekend household chores, etc. Do any of you know of weight being an issue with recovery?
jerseyjay

Willow Grove, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#175
Apr 29, 2009
 
I would like to thank all of you for the wonderful news and insight that you have provided. I have been diagnosed with avascular necrosis of both hips and have been told by two different orthopedic surgeons that I need to get both my hips replaced. This was two months ago. I thought I would wait as long as possible because i am only 42 and do not want to have to go through this painful procedure every 8-10 years. After hearing about this new procedure I am going to contact Dr.Hungerford in Baltimore to see if i am a candidate. I pray to God that I am and that my insurance Amerihealth HMO covers it. If all goes well I will get it done ASAP. I will keep all you wonderful people posted on my progress. i live in south jersey, so Baltimore is only a two hour drive. Once again THANKYOU and GOD BLESS. Jay
Jeanne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#176
Apr 30, 2009
 
Josephine wrote:
Jack Nicklaus has a hip replacement and you can bet he still plays golf! Golf is not a forbidden activity so long as it's not done too soon, like within 6 months.
The anterior approach is by far the easiest to recover from and has less complications like dislocation.
But make sure you get a GOOD surgeon who does in excess of 500 a year.
BoneSmart - the forum for hip/knee patients
http://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/index.p...
Thank you for your reply. I went to the Dr. yesterday. He has been practicing for 30 years, but has only been doing anterior approach for 2 years. He said he has done about 30 of these surgeries. He also does knee surgeries, thus the low number. What is your opinion on this, since he has 30 yrs. experience, but only 30 of these specific surgeries? Thanks much.
Angela M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#177
Apr 30, 2009
 
Hello, everyone,

I thought I would update everyone on my progress to give those of you with upcoming surgeries some idea of what to expect. I am 14 days post-op from anterior hip replacement and doing pretty well. My recovery has been a little bit slower than I would like, but that is because my right hip is bone-on-bone and will be replaced in July. I also went into the surgery a little bit weak because I had my son only 11 weeks ago via c-section and had been on complete bedrest with him for 3 months due to premature labor. I think that if I had gone into the surgery strong, without the excess "baby weght" and with a healthy right hip, my recovery would have been quicker.

I gave up the walker 4 days ago and have been using a cane exclusively since. At this point, I'm using the cane for balance and not for weight bearing. My left leg was lengthened 1 1/2". Prior to surgery my left leg was 1" shorter than my right, now it is 1/2" longer. So that has screwed with my balance and walking still feels strange.

My pain in the hospital was between a 5 and an 8 on a 10 point scale. Again, I think my pain was more than the "normal" patient because my surgery required quite a bit of reconstruction on the socket to enable it to hold the implant and to lengthen the leg. My pain med options were also limited because I am breastfeeding my son. As long as I took my meds on time, the pain was still present, but manageable. Keeping ice packs on my hip also helped along with physical therapy. The more I moved the leg, the better it felt and strengthed. My husband and I were amazed at how much the leg improved and strengthed with each PT session. Currently, I am taking 1 pain pill every 6 - 8 hours which is down from 2 every 4 hours in the hospital.

Today is my first day home alone with the baby. I'm still too unsteady to walk and carry him with the cane safely. So, I'm pushing him around the house in his big stroller and using it to balance me instead of the cane. Wish me luck and I wish all of you about to undergo this procedure good luck as well!

Best wishes,
Angela
Angela M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#178
Apr 30, 2009
 
Jan Phoenix AZ wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to anyting and my daughter found this site for me. I have been reading everything in here for the past year or so. I am 54, overweight, and having my hip replaced on May 19th. I have been in pain for years, had a car accident that I believe was the culprit, but arthritis set in and I am bone on bone now. I was very active before my accident, but nothing arobic since, and that has been over 5 years ago. I questioned the doctor about my being a good candidate and he said yes. I am 5'11 and need to loose about 30 pounds. I have not found any reference from a previous patient that was overweight prior to this procedure. I am a fast healer normally, healthy, and am always moving, doing normal weekend household chores, etc. Do any of you know of weight being an issue with recovery?
Jan,
I believe that the more fit you are going into surgery, the easier your recovery will be. That being said, I know it is very hard to exercise when it is painful! Overall, I don't think 30 extra pounds will slow you down that much. I am currently 14 days post-op and went into the surgery weakened from 3 months of bedrest, 11 weeks after c-section delivery of my son and with both of my hips bone-on-bone. I'm doing ok. See my post below detailing my recovery so far. Good luck to you!
Angela M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#179
Apr 30, 2009
 
Jeanne wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your reply. I went to the Dr. yesterday. He has been practicing for 30 years, but has only been doing anterior approach for 2 years. He said he has done about 30 of these surgeries. He also does knee surgeries, thus the low number. What is your opinion on this, since he has 30 yrs. experience, but only 30 of these specific surgeries? Thanks much.
A surgeon who has only done 30 of these would make me nervous. Personally, I would look for someone with more experience. The surgeon I chose does about 10 - 12 a week or about 500 - 600 per year. He does other types of surgery as well, but the anterior hip replacement is his specialty. I'm only 36 with 2 young kids, so I had to be extra sure that my surgeon is a rock star when it comes to this procedure! Good luck to you!
Jan Phoenix AZ

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180
Apr 30, 2009
 
Angela M wrote:
Hello, everyone,
I thought I would update everyone on my progress to give those of you with upcoming surgeries some idea of what to expect. I am 14 days post-op from anterior hip replacement and doing pretty well. My recovery has been a little bit slower than I would like, but that is because my right hip is bone-on-bone and will be replaced in July. I also went into the surgery a little bit weak because I had my son only 11 weeks ago via c-section and had been on complete bedrest with him for 3 months due to premature labor. I think that if I had gone into the surgery strong, without the excess "baby weght" and with a healthy right hip, my recovery would have been quicker.
I gave up the walker 4 days ago and have been using a cane exclusively since. At this point, I'm using the cane for balance and not for weight bearing. My left leg was lengthened 1 1/2". Prior to surgery my left leg was 1" shorter than my right, now it is 1/2" longer. So that has screwed with my balance and walking still feels strange.
My pain in the hospital was between a 5 and an 8 on a 10 point scale. Again, I think my pain was more than the "normal" patient because my surgery required quite a bit of reconstruction on the socket to enable it to hold the implant and to lengthen the leg. My pain med options were also limited because I am breastfeeding my son. As long as I took my meds on time, the pain was still present, but manageable. Keeping ice packs on my hip also helped along with physical therapy. The more I moved the leg, the better it felt and strengthed. My husband and I were amazed at how much the leg improved and strengthed with each PT session. Currently, I am taking 1 pain pill every 6 - 8 hours which is down from 2 every 4 hours in the hospital.
Today is my first day home alone with the baby. I'm still too unsteady to walk and carry him with the cane safely. So, I'm pushing him around the house in his big stroller and using it to balance me instead of the cane. Wish me luck and I wish all of you about to undergo this procedure good luck as well!
Best wishes,
Angela
Thank you Angela! You have been through a lot, haven't you? Your posting was very informative. I have always been a big girl, but very active. My situation has been a gradual decline over 8 years. I never knew what was wrong as different doctors told me different things. I just chalked it up to arthritis and continued on. I have a very busy life, and have always and still do a lot of physical work at home, just with medication as my friend on the weekends...lol
My sisters are little petite women, so I have always been the hauler, lifter, mule..lol (they are decorators. I am used to pain, and I have not been completely inactive, I won't let this keep me down, but it does. My family are the culprits behind me finally finding out what my problem was. I am strong physically and mentally, so hopefully this will all go well. You did mention the had more work than anticipated with the reconstruction of your socket, is that typical? My daughter asked me about complications or additional work that may be needed. Have you heard of anyone ever going in for this type of procedure and ending up not being able to do it, ending up with the muscles being detached?
Angela M

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#181
Apr 30, 2009
 
I was born with bilateral congenital hips. Today, it would be called dysplastic hips. So, my hip sockets were not only dislocated, but my hip sockets and femoral heads were deformed. I had multiple surgeries done from 1974 - 1979. I began having arthritis problems when I was 8 years old. So, I've dealt with chronic pain and physical limitations for all of my life. Because my hips were "man made" the cartilage wore more quickly than a normal, healthy joint resulting in my recent hip replacement. My surgeon told me that my case was one of his most challenging and he does about 600 surgeries a year! I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or not! ha! ha!

No, I've never heard of anyone ever going in for this proecedure and having to go in the other way. For one thing, I don't think they could because the anterior approach requires a special operating table.

I don't know if you have decided on a surgeon or not, but I know that people come in from all over the country for Dr. Yerasimides to do their surgery because it is his specialty. Every time I've been in his office, there have been people there from other states. Check out his websitem, www.louisvillehip.com . Even if you don't want to travel for your surgery, his site has a lot of good information about what to expect pre-op, post-op, risks, benefits, etc.
Good luck to you!
Kim in Newport Beach

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#182
May 3, 2009
 
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to update you on my progress. I had my left hip replaced with the anterior method 3 weeks ago, on April 13. Dr. Andrew Yun in Marina del Rey and Santa Monica performed my surgery at the St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica (I couldn't find doctors in the Newport Beach area that do this method of hip replacement).

First of all, let me say that the hospital stay was wonderful! I was in a fairly new wing of the hospital where all of the rooms are private, with a long day bed that a family member can stay and sleep on if he/she is so inclined. Lots of great attention from the hospital care givers.

My surgery was on a Monday and I came home on Wednesday, early afternoon. My in-home physical therapist started with me on Friday. I had been using a walker, but by the time I saw the therapist, she cleared me for using the cane instead. I was able to stop using the cane around the house by 2 1/2 weeks, and I really haven't used it at all for the last couple of days.

By my first weekend home, I was able to go out looking at a couple of open houses with my husband, though the therapist recommended that I give myself more time before really being out and about.

I stopped taking the pain meds last Friday and haven't used anything since then, other than the doctor had me on Celebrex for 2 weeks, and after that he wanted me to take Aleve 2x/day for a while (I see him for my 3-week post-op appointment this Wednesday and I'll see if I can stop taking the heavy doses of aspirin and the Aleve when I see him).

I have very little pain in my hip - only in the groin area, and only when I'm doing certain exercises. Mostly just some upper leg tightness. But, what has been causing me the most pain is that my whole lower leg is very painful - like having terrible shin splints on the front and sides of my leg, and my ankle is very painful as well. Just touching my lower leg is painful. I hope that this pain will go away after a while. Has anyone else experienced this kind of lower leg pain?

I have to say, I am very amazed at how quickly I feel like normal after this kind of major surgery! When I'm just walking around, I can't even tell I ever even had a surgery! So, I highly recommend this to anyone considering a hip replacement. It is truly wonderful!

I thought I'd be able to bounce right back to working, but between the exercises 2x/day and icing my leg 4x/day for around 45 minutes, and being recommended not to sit for more than 15-20 minutes without getting up and walking around, it doesn't leave much time for anything else! So, I've just gotten with the program and have spent my time recuperating (and in catching up on all the programs that I had taped on my DVR when I'm putting ice on my leg!)

I would say that most of my swelling is gone and I've been taking Arnica 5x/day since I got home from the hospital. I can see that it has really helped with the bruising, which is almost gone.

Thanks for everyone's support!!
Dolores

Barrie, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#183
May 9, 2009
 
Kathy, who is your doctor? I had a THR with Dr. Matta, and I was very active beforehand. In my opinion, that has helped a lot with my recovery. The staff was consistently saying how much better I was recovering than most people![/How long did you stay in Santa Monica? I will probably arrive on the Monday, surgery Wed, and then I'm thinking of the hotel across the street for two weeks. Anybody have any help about where to stay after the surgery in Santa Monica?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Hip Replacement Forum right now

Search the Hip Replacement Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
THR after girdle stone (May '11) 8 hr Marlene 36
Hip replacement recovery 9 hr Patty 3
Post your hip replacement success stories 9 hr Patty 14
Smith and Nephew Birmingham Hip ( BHR ) no thanks (Jul '11) 9 hr Sadie Lee 56
Patients run risk of being denied hip replaceme... 10 hr Bobbie 2
Pros/Cons of 2 Approaches 10 hr Maggie Jane 8
Anterior hip replacement by Dr. Andrew Yun (Mar '10) Sun joy 38
•••
•••