My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience
Kristy

Cincinnati, OH

#856 Feb 14, 2011
Angela, thanks so much for the info. I haven't really heard of anyone who has had nerve problems so it was nice to here I am not the only one. Did you have any numbness in your leg? I can only hope that the nerves will calm down and all will go back to normal! Thanks for sharing with me!
Hey also, did you have it anterior approach (minimally invasive?) Just curious!
Anonymous

Noxapater, MS

#857 Feb 14, 2011
Jim wrote:
The space suit is not for radiation it is to prevent infection.
That is what I had thought until I read a post about the radiation. Just wanted to get the correct info. Thanks Jim for your response.
monica

Brooklyn, NY

#858 Feb 15, 2011
My anterior THR surgery has been scheduled for March 8,(NYC - Lenox Hill Hospital). I'm 30 years old female with a history of SCFE (left hip). I was wondering if anyone had his/her hip replaced after SCFE?
Karen from Mahwah

Bronx, NY

#859 Feb 15, 2011
Judy from Suffern wrote:
<quoted text>
Kristy ...did you find out anything? What does your doctor say?
Is it very painful?
Judy, I just had my 2nd THR with Dr. Corey Burak on Monday, 2/7. I came home on Wednesday. Yes, there is pain, but it is "surgical" pain as opposed to "hip" pain. When I had my first surgery last May, the pain prior to the surgery was excruciating. I had to use a cane and even with that I could barely walk a block. This time I had the surgery before the pain got bad, so the pain after seems worse, but probably isn't. I had the surgery on Monday and came home on Wednesday, using only a cane. I am up and down the stairs a few times a day, and can actually walk without a cane in the house, but use it outside for stability. And I drove for the first time yesterday - to Physical Therapy.

Although I still have surgical pain, every day is a little better. I am only taking Tylenol, so obviously the pain is not terrible. Dr. Corey is a fabulous surgeon - you are in good hands. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.
Louise

Miami, FL

#860 Feb 15, 2011
Flo Ochsenfeld wrote:
I had my left hip replacement done on August 21st and my right hip replacement done on October 22nd. I chose to have them done by an amazing new method: anterior hip replacement. I only have a 3" incision on both sides in front right above my thighs and I am doing extremely well. It is less than two weeks since the second hip was done and I can already walk with no cane and I am driving. I had hardly any pain and hardly any restrictions. There is only one doctor on the East Coast that performs this awesome surgery: Dr. Corey Burak in Hawthorne, New York. He is extremely nice and personable and did a fantastic job on my two operations. If you have any questions, let me know.
I am scheduled for this surgery with the hana table at end of March. A friend had this done about 5 months ago and is having discomfort at the top of her leg. Dr. says it's muscular after xraying surgery all is okay. Am naturally a bit hesitant, although I do need it done. You have no discomfort. Hers started back as I said a few months after surgery. I am in South Florida.
Louise

Miami, FL

#861 Feb 15, 2011
I am scheduled for this surgery with the hana table at end of March. A friend of mine had this done about 5 months ago and is having discomfort at the top of her leg. Dr. says it's muscular after xraying surgery all is okay with the replace-ment. Am naturally a bit hesitant, although I do need it done. You have no discomfort. Hers started back as I said a few months after surgery. Also did you received professional therapy. They don't require it. I am in South Florida
Diane

Bronx, NY

#862 Feb 15, 2011
Kristy, How much adjustment in your leg length was needed?
Diane

Bronx, NY

#863 Feb 15, 2011
Monica, Who is your surgeon at Lenox Hill?
monica

United States

#864 Feb 15, 2011
Diane wrote:
Monica, Who is your surgeon at Lenox Hill?
Dr. Kenneth McCulloch - I had the chance to talk to some of his patients, went to the class at Lenox, think I'm ready but very scared...
Angela M

Taylorsville, KY

#865 Feb 15, 2011
Kristy,

Yes, I had the anterior approach on both legs. The left hip in April 2009 and the right hip in July 2009. Yes, I had numbness around my incision and partially down the outside of both legs. I was really worried because sometimes it just HURT really bad. The sciatica was so bad that I went in and got a steroid injection because I couldn't take the pain. It all calmed down after a couple of months post op. Looking back on it, I think my body was just totally freaking out. In addition to both hip surgeries, I also had a 9 lb. Baby in January 2009. So, I was carrying that huge baby on two bone-on-bone hips without any pain medication. I delivered the baby and had two hip replacements within 6 months.

During the hip surgeries, both of my legs were lengthened about an inch. I think it just took my body awhile to get used to the new leg lengths. And being evened out really altered my gait which messed with my back.
Kristy wrote:
Angela, thanks so much for the info. I haven't really heard of anyone who has had nerve problems so it was nice to here I am not the only one. Did you have any numbness in your leg? I can only hope that the nerves will calm down and all will go back to normal! Thanks for sharing with me!
Hey also, did you have it anterior approach (minimally invasive?) Just curious!
Bob - NY

Buffalo, NY

#866 Feb 15, 2011
Karen from Mahwah wrote:
<quoted text>
Judy, I just had my 2nd THR with Dr. Corey Burak on Monday, 2/7. I came home on Wednesday. Yes, there is pain, but it is "surgical" pain as opposed to "hip" pain. When I had my first surgery last May, the pain prior to the surgery was excruciating. I had to use a cane and even with that I could barely walk a block. This time I had the surgery before the pain got bad, so the pain after seems worse, but probably isn't. I had the surgery on Monday and came home on Wednesday, using only a cane. I am up and down the stairs a few times a day, and can actually walk without a cane in the house, but use it outside for stability. And I drove for the first time yesterday - to Physical Therapy.
Although I still have surgical pain, every day is a little better. I am only taking Tylenol, so obviously the pain is not terrible. Dr. Corey is a fabulous surgeon - you are in good hands. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer.
Hi Karen,

I had my RT hip done by Dr Burak on Dec.6 2010. He really is a great surgeon. Very laid back. My kind of Doctor. I travelled from Buffalo just to have him as my surgeon. Sounds like your surgery went great. What type of prosthesis did you get? I have zero pain and no more limp. All the best!
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#867 Feb 15, 2011
Bob - NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Karen,
I had my RT hip done by Dr Burak on Dec.6 2010. He really is a great surgeon. Very laid back. My kind of Doctor. I travelled from Buffalo just to have him as my surgeon. Sounds like your surgery went great. What type of prosthesis did you get? I have zero pain and no more limp. All the best!
Hi Bob and Karen. I am having my surgery on March 3rd. Tomorrow is my pre operation day. I spoke to Dr. Burak today. He is so nice.
The pain is agony and each day I put a check on the calendar.
Karen....I live in Suffern...... [email protected]
Bob - NY

Buffalo, NY

#868 Feb 15, 2011
Judy from Suffern wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob and Karen. I am having my surgery on March 3rd. Tomorrow is my pre operation day. I spoke to Dr. Burak today. He is so nice.
The pain is agony and each day I put a check on the calendar.
Karen....I live in Suffern...... [email protected]
Judy, You will be amazed with the surgery. Once they put in the IV it is all downhill. Dr Burak is the best. He came to my room every day to check on me. I will probably see him in a couple of years with my left hip. Oh yeah ,he will give you your x-ray right after surgery. Very cool. Good Luck!
Karen from Mahwah

Bronx, NY

#869 Feb 16, 2011
Bob - NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Karen,
I had my RT hip done by Dr Burak on Dec.6 2010. He really is a great surgeon. Very laid back. My kind of Doctor. I travelled from Buffalo just to have him as my surgeon. Sounds like your surgery went great. What type of prosthesis did you get? I have zero pain and no more limp. All the best!
Hi Bob - How did you hear about Dr. Corey in Buffalo? I know people come from all over - I am always curious how they find out about him. My pain is diminishing daily as is the limp. Right after surgery I noticed my operative leg seemed an inch longer than the other but, as Dr. Corey assured me, it is settling in and returning to normal. I was out and about for the better part of yesterday having lunch with friends and running errands and really did well. The prosthesis I have is ceramic and titanium, same as my first hip. I did have a couple of weeks with the first when my hip seemed to "click" when I walked but, again as Dr. Corey assured me, it needed to settle and it went away. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Isn't it just amazing?
Karen from Mahwah

Bronx, NY

#870 Feb 16, 2011
Judy from Suffern wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob and Karen. I am having my surgery on March 3rd. Tomorrow is my pre operation day. I spoke to Dr. Burak today. He is so nice.
The pain is agony and each day I put a check on the calendar.
Karen....I live in Suffern...... [email protected]
Hi Judy - I'll contact you by email
Bob- NY

Buffalo, NY

#871 Feb 16, 2011
Karen from Mahwah wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Bob - How did you hear about Dr. Corey in Buffalo? I know people come from all over - I am always curious how they find out about him. My pain is diminishing daily as is the limp. Right after surgery I noticed my operative leg seemed an inch longer than the other but, as Dr. Corey assured me, it is settling in and returning to normal. I was out and about for the better part of yesterday having lunch with friends and running errands and really did well. The prosthesis I have is ceramic and titanium, same as my first hip. I did have a couple of weeks with the first when my hip seemed to "click" when I walked but, again as Dr. Corey assured me, it needed to settle and it went away. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Isn't it just amazing?
Karen, I felt my leg was longer and Dr Burak said I would feel that sensation,but it did go away.I also have ceramic on titanium. I do get sore on cold days but I am told I will battle that the rest of my life. I actually visited 2 other top surgeons in Buffalo(my sister is an orthopedic nurse). I like to Google info and saw Resurfacing as a the way to go. But there were risks. I read about muscles being cut and didn't want any part of that(posterior). Somehow his name popped up,I e-mailed his office and they got right back to me. Once he called me I knew he was going to be my surgeon. Alot of people I know had the posterior surgery and ask me how I found him. Best decision I ever made.
Kate32

United States

#872 Feb 17, 2011
I am 6 days post op. It was not a drive through by all means and recovery is not as easy as some of you experienced. I can only imagine the regular hip surgery. I am sure my grief is due to my own peculiarities. Surgery went really well, but took almost 3 hours instead of 1.15, as I had additional scar tissue from two previous hip surguries that my surgeon had to work around. I also lost a lot of blood and being 106 lbs, had to get two units of blood next day. I wish they kept me in the hospital for a week, vs. sending home on day 3. The staff surgeon mentioned that most people hit their low on day 4 or 5 after surgery. I think I hit a bunch of those 'lows'- dizziness, pain, terrible headache most likely from extremely low blood pressure 100/50, low blood count and associated weakness. Today, day 6, I developed 100.6 fever, but took jewish peniciline - chicken soup and a lot of tea with lemon. I am not taking any narcotics, as they make me sick, so Tylenol is the only drug, which honestly does very little to take the edge of the pain. Now, all complaining aside, which might help some of your prepare for the surgery and know that it is still a major surgery, I am very happy with the results. I had virtually no range of motion in my right hip. Now, even with the hip being stiff from blood accumulated inside, I CAN MOVE! I have not been able to open my legs that wide since I was 18. I am doing my best to work through weakness to keep moving. The pain IS surgical and muscular. It is moderate to intense but it is possible to tolarate without narcotics. The surgical team did a wonderful job getting my legs even and leave only a small incision behind. I walked with no pain in the joint a day after the surgery. All pain was muscular only. Some of you might experience a strange sensation for a couple of days after the surgery. When I was taking a step, the weird sensation around joint kept happening. It was as if a muscle or ligament was snapping in and out of place. it was not painful, just weird. The feeling went away after 3 days. I am glad it did!:) I have this super hot new S&N oxynium alloy of metal and ceramics that is much hardier. I am hoping to use it for a while. I hope my comments are helpful for those who are considering the surgery. I did not have extrutiating pain going into the surgery, so I was scared but it is definitely worth it to get the motion back and start getting my life back with it. A little more: my surgical team did a great job of not lettig me get nautious after the surgery, if you have motion sickness, make sure you mention. it makes a world of difference. My surgery took place in Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital in Wi. They have a Hana table. Surgeon was the best -- Matthew Bong. I cannot praise the surgeon and his team more. The hospital was more like a hotel - impressive!!! Good luck!!!! I will post more as I progress...
monica

Brooklyn, NY

#873 Feb 17, 2011
Kate , this is extremely helpful. Thank you!!! How is walking for you? Feel better... and keep us posted :)My surgery is scheduled for March 8. I'm 30 yo / 120 lb, small range in my left hip due to SCFE and moderate pain.
Kristy

Cincinnati, OH

#874 Feb 18, 2011
Diane it had to be lengthened abit, not extreme tho. I can tell that the operated leg is now abit longer. I know that you can have nerve problems due to the lengthening.
Angela, I went to my doc yesterday. Weird thing is he has never seen the nerve pain where I have it. It is down the inside of my operated leg all the way to my ankle. Yours seemed to be on the outside which is where he typically see's it. He explained that there is no actually nerve down the inside, just feeder nerves. I did take a medrol dose pack (steroid) a couple of weeks ago. He ended up putting me on prednasone and neurontin. I will take the pred. for a longer time period. I so thankful that you shared your story with me. It is hard to read how well everyone has done and then me to have all these complications. I hate to see how Kate experienced problems too, but it does make you feel more normal. Thanks to all!!!
Kate32

United States

#875 Feb 18, 2011
Monica, Good luck!
As some other people suggested, try to be in the best shape you can be, it will definitely help recovery. Walking is still tough. I cannot imagine driving in 2 weeks. There is NO WAY! The site around the incision is pretty tight/swallen and muscles do hurt quite a bit. I can step on the foot with no additional pain and can walk with crutches and do stairs daily, but I do not think I am ready for any type of regular exercise routine as muscles are too tight and hurt a bit. I am very excited to see the leg moving though. I am sure in a month I will forget about the pain and will be so grateful for the opportunity to have normal range of motion and do yoga and all other fun stuff :) Go for it!
monica wrote:
Kate , this is extremely helpful. Thank you!!! How is walking for you? Feel better... and keep us posted :)My surgery is scheduled for March 8. I'm 30 yo / 120 lb, small range in my left hip due to SCFE and moderate pain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
??? Clear, yellowish discharge?? Help! (Jun '08) Sat N hendricks 3
Post your hip replacement success stories (Jul '14) Mar 24 Starr 30
yoga after hip replacement (Oct '06) Mar 23 Ridein2017 102
News Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) Mar 22 nogods 60
Hip pain when I cough, sneeze or accidentally j... (Mar '12) Mar 18 Martin Boyce 72
bonesmart.org (Jul '14) Mar 15 highlander 62
Stairs after Hip Replacement (Nov '06) Mar 9 Katey 72
More from around the web