My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience
leslie

Concord, MA

#695 Nov 16, 2010
Joy wrote:
<quoted text>
Leslie,
I am curious as to why you went to Philapelphia from MA. for your surgery. I now live near Worcester, MA and am seeing a surgeon in concord, NH this week who does the anterior with the Hana table.
My research led me to Philadelphia and I spoke with several patients of Dr Hozack's. His credentials are what I was looking for in a surgeon. It was the right choice for me. Hope all goes well with your surgery.
marietta

New York, NY

#697 Nov 29, 2010
would you please elaborate on this....what kinds of problems are they having. thanks
jan wrote:
<quoted text>
I know 2 people that recently used him and both are having problems. I would not use him.
marietta

New York, NY

#698 Nov 29, 2010
does anyone have feedback about anterior hip replacement by dr. alexiades?? any and all comments greatly appreciated. thanks
marietta

New York, NY

#699 Nov 29, 2010
Judy from Suffern wrote:
I am seeing Dr. Michael Alexiazes at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. I have read amazing things about him and he takes my insurance.
I would love to hear about your experience. i am flip flopping between anterior surgery, and the so called minimally invasive which is the usual operation with a smaller incision. dr alexiades is my surgeon of choice for the anterior and dr. sculco my choice for the usual operation. i would love help with making this decision. many thanks
bruny10467

New York, NY

#700 Nov 30, 2010
marietta wrote:
<quoted text>
I would love to hear about your experience. i am flip flopping between anterior surgery, and the so called minimally invasive which is the usual operation with a smaller incision. dr alexiades is my surgeon of choice for the anterior and dr. sculco my choice for the usual operation. i would love help with making this decision. many thanks
Went last year to Hospital for Special Surgery for Anterior THR and was told by 2 of their orthopedic surgeons that they didn't do the anterior procedure. They do the antero-lateral procedure with a minimal incision but they still cut through your gluteal muscles and tendons. I went with Dr. Davidovitch at the N.Y. Hospital for Joint Diseases, had my left hip done on 8/19/10 on the Hana table with the direct anterior approach and now I'm having my right hip done next week 12/9. I'm 67 y.o. and plan to be back at work by 2/14... after I come back from vacation to the caribbean.

I wouldn't of done my surgery any other way I love my doctor, I think he is the best! He didn't take my insurance Blue Cross/Blue Shield but he accepted what they paid. My insurance also covered my whole hospital bill and my visiting nurse and physical therapist that came to my home AND my insurance has already cleared me for my second surgery. Good luck to you and others that are having their hips done... which-ever approach they chose.

P.S. My hospital room-mate had her hip done the same day I did and was in rehab for 3 months and still walking with a cane. I had 4 rehab visits when I went home on the 3rd day and that was it. No walking aids since my 2nd week post-op.
bruny10467

New York, NY

#701 Nov 30, 2010
P.S. Forgot to say:
My hospital room-mate had the antero-lateral minimal incision done. We have become friends and she has told me that she is doing her other hip with Dr. Davidovitch. She was in great pain after the surgery, had to sleep with a V-shaped pillow between her legs, could not sit at a 95 degree angle and was not allowed to cross her legs. She was hospitalized for 5 days. I had no restrictions after the surgery, I could even sleep on my side.
Matt

Paramus, NJ

#702 Nov 30, 2010
Well I'm two weeks post op for anterior L THR with DR.Burak at Phelps hospital and have to say that all is going well.Had the therapist at home three times and am now scheduled 3x a week for the next month at therapy facility.I only use the crutch outside for peace of mind but not at home.Still have some surgical pain but use pain meds when needed.This is the way to go if you need hip replacement.
bruny10467

New York, NY

#703 Nov 30, 2010
Matt wrote:
Well I'm two weeks post op for anterior L THR with DR.Burak at Phelps hospital and have to say that all is going well.Had the therapist at home three times and am now scheduled 3x a week for the next month at therapy facility.I only use the crutch outside for peace of mind but not at home.Still have some surgical pain but use pain meds when needed.This is the way to go if you need hip replacement.
Glad you're doing well. I'm in the Bronx too but I work right across the street from Hospital for Special Surgery, that's how I got to see more than one surgeon there and decided to go with Dr. D. at N.Y. Hospital for Joint Diseases. Like you, I only used my cane outside for security but really didn't need it. I've been off pain meds since before I got out of the hospital on the 3rd day. I only take Advil now for my right hip which I'm having done on 12/9. My doctor told me to do a lot of walking, I had 3 PT sessions and I haven't had any more since then.
marilyn

Grand Rapids, MI

#704 Nov 30, 2010
bruny10467 wrote:
P.S. Forgot to say:
My hospital room-mate had the antero-lateral minimal incision done. We have become friends and she has told me that she is doing her other hip with Dr. Davidovitch. She was in great pain after the surgery, had to sleep with a V-shaped pillow between her legs, could not sit at a 95 degree angle and was not allowed to cross her legs. She was hospitalized for 5 days. I had no restrictions after the surgery, I could even sleep on my side.
My husband had anterolateral mis hip replacement done on 10/26. We traveled to get the surgery done - no one in Grand Rapids does it. We were home within 50 hours of surgery with NO restrictions. No muscle or tendons cut. He had a 4" incision (had very bad HO and needed lots of clean up for the bony growth) The incision was glued - he never even had a bandage - showered the morning after surgery. I guess just check what the doc does. My husband had the Zimmer MIS Anterolateral procedure.
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#705 Nov 30, 2010
I am scheduled to have the anterio hip replacement at the Hospital For Special Surgery in April. I am having lots of pain and it seems to be radiating elsewhere. I hope it is from the hip and not from any other arthritic condition.
Larry WI

Arpin, WI

#706 Dec 1, 2010
I had a total hip replacement Oct 6 2010. Iwas p and walking with a walker within 2 hrs of waking up. I spent 1 & 1/2 days in teh hosp, and had 2 PT sessions, and none scheduled after being released. Within 2 weeks post surgery I was not sing any walking aids, and I was going up and down stairs. 3 weeks post surgery I went back to my work office. 6 weeks post opp my Doc said my next appt would be in 1 yr, and he old me that progress wise I was 1 yr ahead of most who have this done. It is now 9 wks post opp, I have just about stopped taking any type of discomfort medication, and I have no issues at all with the new hip. As for me the whole process was a cake walk. Oh, by the way, I am a 61 yr old Male.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#707 Dec 1, 2010
Judy from Suffern wrote:
I am scheduled to have the anterio hip replacement at the Hospital For Special Surgery in April. I am having lots of pain and it seems to be radiating elsewhere. I hope it is from the hip and not from any other arthritic condition.
Hi Judy, I had both hips done this year anteriorly, May and Oct. Was thinking this morning why didn't I do this sooner. I had lots of hip pain, groin pain,down my thigh and left knee too.And lower back. All that is gone now--unbelievable! Have been doing things I haven't done in a few years, like putting my socks and shoes on, crossing my legs but best of all-- no constant pain! I used to be able to tell when the weather was going to change before the weatherman, not any more.Just curious why you are waiting til April? I'm 66 and am continually amazed at my progress and how relatively "wonderful" the whole process has been.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#708 Dec 1, 2010
Anyone can help me change my profile so my hometown isn't hidden? Don't know why it is.
chris

Huntersville, NC

#709 Dec 2, 2010
Katuska wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Judy, I had both hips done this year anteriorly, May and Oct. Was thinking this morning why didn't I do this sooner. I had lots of hip pain, groin pain,down my thigh and left knee too.And lower back. All that is gone now--unbelievable! Have been doing things I haven't done in a few years, like putting my socks and shoes on, crossing my legs but best of all-- no constant pain! I used to be able to tell when the weather was going to change before the weatherman, not any more.Just curious why you are waiting til April? I'm 66 and am continually amazed at my progress and how relatively "wonderful" the whole process has been.
Hi Katusa:

I also had both hips done,but at the same time, it's been 3 1/2 years, but like you I am still amazed at how great the surgery is. It is funny, but you were just like me, constant pain, not being able to do simple things, no crossing the legs, and all the pain in different areas of the body are gone. I thought I had bad knees, but no, it was just all connected to the hips. I had to wait 4 months for my surgery because my doctor was the only one to do this type of surgery and we had to wait for the table because he was so busy. It so good to hear how wonderful everyone feels after this surgery.
art

Moultrie, GA

#710 Dec 3, 2010
Chris L wrote:
Bryon: I had no pain after my replacements, only took the pain meds at night to help me sleep, but only for about 2 days. I was back to normal activities in 4 weeks, racquetball had to wait for 3 1/2 months. But I am now playing 4 times a week and never have pain. Hope you feel better.
Ni Chris.... what devices were implanted?? Thank you..
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#711 Dec 3, 2010
art wrote:
<quoted text>Ni Chris.... what devices were implanted?? Thank you..
the reason that I am waiting until April ..is because my Doctor is booked until then. He is very popular since he is the only one at the Hospital For Special Surgery that does the anterior approach.
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#712 Dec 3, 2010
bruny10467 wrote:
<quoted text>
Went last year to Hospital for Special Surgery for Anterior THR and was told by 2 of their orthopedic surgeons that they didn't do the anterior procedure. They do the antero-lateral procedure with a minimal incision but they still cut through your gluteal muscles and tendons. I went with Dr. Davidovitch at the N.Y. Hospital for Joint Diseases, had my left hip done on 8/19/10 on the Hana table with the direct anterior approach and now I'm having my right hip done next week 12/9. I'm 67 y.o. and plan to be back at work by 2/14... after I come back from vacation to the caribbean.
I wouldn't of done my surgery any other way I love my doctor, I think he is the best! He didn't take my insurance Blue Cross/Blue Shield but he accepted what they paid. My insurance also covered my whole hospital bill and my visiting nurse and physical therapist that came to my home AND my insurance has already cleared me for my second surgery. Good luck to you and others that are having their hips done... which-ever approach they chose.
P.S. My hospital room-mate had her hip done the same day I did and was in rehab for 3 months and still walking with a cane. I had 4 rehab visits when I went home on the 3rd day and that was it. No walking aids since my 2nd week post-op.
Marietta.......Dr. Alexiades is the man
Lynn B

Keuka Park, NY

#713 Dec 7, 2010
I'm 48 and 5 yrs out with a thr - very satisfied!
Over the last few weeks though, what was about a monthly occurrence has increased to several times a week: usually happens in the kitchen with some twisting, I have a sharp sensation that something is out of whack and I cannot continue the motion. No clicking or clunking sound is audible but it FEELS like a clunk. A little bit of discomfort, abrupt halt in mobility, but no pain (just fear that I'm about to disclocate). Any ideas for causes?
Solutions?
Should I get back to doing my pt exercises?
Thanks All.
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#714 Dec 7, 2010
Lynn...did you have the anterior approach?
Judy from Suffern

AOL

#715 Dec 7, 2010
I am confused. Some posters have said that they had no restrictions after the anterior hip replacement...while others have talked about a raised toilet seat. Are there any restrictions?
Can you bend down after this procedure?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How is life without your piriformis muscle afte... (Aug '14) Thu johhn h 12
longer leg after hip replacement (Nov '06) Jun 27 Frannie 394
Settlements with Zimmer on Durom? (Nov '08) Jun 26 DWilliams 120
What is the cost of a total hip replacement (Jul '07) Jun 26 joy 120
How much pain 4-6 weeks post op total hip (Jul '08) Jun 25 Joma6537 73
After Hip Replacement Pain (May '11) Jun 25 Helpme1 78
failed hip replacement - metal poisoning (Mar '11) Jun 23 Ret 173
More from around the web