Posted in the Hip Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Aug 09

Maple, Canada

#1 Aug 7, 2009
Hi,

Im 61 years old man, 166-167 cm (5-56) tall, 229.5 pounds (104 kg). At 14th of May 2009 I had surgery for full left hip replacement. From 2005 I have problems with my left leg. Due to too many mixed symptoms I went trough so many different procedures which roll out all other reasons which can causing problems and remain that only hip replacement will help. It was promised I to return to 97% to my previous condition (nobody tell me for how long after the surgery). Next week it will finished 3 full months after the surgery. For now I can walk without walking stick only between 100 150 m and have to stop for a wile (up to minute) because normally it appears pain in the spots where the artificial joint is attached to the body or muscles are not working. The entire distance that Im walking for now is between 800m to 1km . By the way during 2008 I was walking up to 1-2 km with walking stick but after this distance the left hip joint was so painful that I was unable to walk. In fact I almost did not use the muscles of my left leg for very long time. Does my condition is OK or I have to look for some help. I can go down and up a store of the building using stairs (but before to be tired) only by using hand hold reel. I went to physiotherapy but stop because after the procedures I had pain in entire left leg including next day. I continued with rehabilitation systems that I find on Internet. Can someone can shear his experience or to tell me when he/she start to walk on long distances 2-4 km without to stop and without walking aid.

Thanks in advance Al
morty

Picton, Canada

#2 Aug 8, 2009
Hip Replacement Recovery wrote:
Hi,
Im 61 years old man, 166-167 cm (5-56) tall, 229.5 pounds (104 kg). At 14th of May 2009 I had surgery for full left hip replacement. From 2005 I have problems with my left leg. Due to too many mixed symptoms I went trough so many different procedures which roll out all other reasons which can causing problems and remain that only hip replacement will help. It was promised I to return to 97% to my previous condition (nobody tell me for how long after the surgery). Next week it will finished 3 full months after the surgery. For now I can walk without walking stick only between 100 150 m and have to stop for a wile (up to minute) because normally it appears pain in the spots where the artificial joint is attached to the body or muscles are not working. The entire distance that Im walking for now is between 800m to 1km . By the way during 2008 I was walking up to 1-2 km with walking stick but after this distance the left hip joint was so painful that I was unable to walk. In fact I almost did not use the muscles of my left leg for very long time. Does my condition is OK or I have to look for some help. I can go down and up a store of the building using stairs (but before to be tired) only by using hand hold reel. I went to physiotherapy but stop because after the procedures I had pain in entire left leg including next day. I continued with rehabilitation systems that I find on Internet. Can someone can shear his experience or to tell me when he/she start to walk on long distances 2-4 km without to stop and without walking aid.
Thanks in advance Al
Hi Al,

let me begin by assuring you that you will improve in time and that there is much you can do to aid your recovery.

i'm a 70 year-old man who had total hip replacement surgery four months ago. nearly 2 years ago i fractured my hip while surfing in mexico and for nearly the entire time before my surgery i could not walk more than 2 or 3 blocks, and then only with a cane.

however, at the time of my accident i was extremely fit and afterwards i did all i could to maintain my level of fitness.

this proved extremely valuable in terms of my recovery.

for the first few weeks after my surgery i could not do much and there was nearly always pain in one or another place. but i never gave up and continued to do all that i could do.

today, 4 months after my surgery, i have nearly returned to normal. i walk 4-5 kilometers/day, dance and stretch at home and continue with the exercises prescribed by my physiotherapist.

the secret -- and it's really no secret-- is to take full repsonsibility for your recovery. do all that you can to strengthen your body and, hardest of all, be patient.

of course, it's important to rememeber what you you were capable of in the past, since it's unlikely you'll exceed that in future.

it's not easy, but you can do it. for sure.

work hard, don't lose faith and never give up.

let me know how you're doing.

all the best,

mort
Hi mort

Scarborough, Canada

#3 Aug 13, 2009
Hi mort,
Thanks for your e-mail. The tings are slowly improved. I find out from different sources that bigger problem is in the muscles but also in the links which connected muscles to the bones. But however do you have any information can I bicycling and if I can when after the surgery.
Thanks!
Al
morty

Picton, Canada

#4 Aug 14, 2009
Hi mort wrote:
Hi mort,
Thanks for your e-mail. The tings are slowly improved. I find out from different sources that bigger problem is in the muscles but also in the links which connected muscles to the bones. But however do you have any information can I bicycling and if I can when after the surgery.
Thanks!
Al
hi al,

sure you can ride your bike again.

wait for 3 months post-surgery and then begin slowly. you'll be fine.

glad to hear you're improving.

have a great day.

mort
Hi mort

Mississauga, Canada

#5 Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for your e-mail. Today is 3rd month after surgery. Every day slowly I improve distances. But the leg with the surgery stil can not carry entire weight long time. As soldier and bero that I was sky diver and have somany ingures exactly on that leg and my spain is demaged too. Maybe it is one of the reasons I to have more problems than regular people. I had missing disks in my spain.

Regards Al
Bill San Diego

Vista, CA

#6 Aug 20, 2009
After THR on my right hip, I started therapy immediately at home. I had a therapist help me for a week and then I was on my own. I was 69 years old at the time of the surgery. weight 170 lb. I started walking every day. At first just a few blocks and then gradually increased the distance. I also excercised in the Jacuzzi. after 6 weeks I was back playing golf 4 days a week. I think if you have access to a Jacuzzi or pool that this is a great place to excercise. The main thing is to push yourself to what you feel are your limits and keep on a regular schedule.
Good luck on your recovery. You can do it!!!
Hi Bill

Mississauga, Canada

#7 Aug 20, 2009
Your success is great. I tried in pool. It is very pleasurable but only that. It did not help too much. During the day I excercise for about 3 h walking, biking (for 5-10 minutes for now), excercises of the legs and entire body with weights - including the legs. But still is giving me trouble in the place where the new joint is connected to the hip bone. I talk to my surgeon and he told me that everything is OK and it will pass. I was airforce special op in my 20s. I have missing disks in my spine sky diving with military parachutes, which provide high speed downward (put and heavy equipment with me) and the speed is equal to jump down without parachute from 4th floor. More over due to different traumas in that time I had so many different symptoms that it was a year before to be diagnosed for hip replacement. During this time I was walking with walking stick and incredible pain in my left leg. In realty it makes my muscles very weak. Now I have to compensate not only effect of surgery but and effect of seating life 1 year and half before the surgery. Actually I tried to train and before the surgery but the pain was almost impossible to be cared. It was nice that I was train in military programs to carry the pain if you know what Im meaning it shouldnt be possible someone to take over you by using pain.
Black Hills Hippie

United States

#8 Nov 16, 2009
62 years old, 8 weeks out of press fit right hip replacement, first month was something else, got over the "hump" at about 6 weeks, no support needed, can feel the incision (all 4 inches of it) at times, glad I had it done, took the pressure off a bad left one that I will postpone indefinately now. A mile on the treadmill a day, do PT at home 2 to 3 times a day, give it another month at this rate and will be happy with this new type prosthesis (head and socket same size as the old hip, cobalt steel, latest model by J&J.
Alex

Hamilton, Canada

#9 Nov 17, 2009
Hi,
Your success is great. But I find that real walk after HRS is completely different from walking on tread mill. The moving the weight from left to right hip on tread mill do not have the same kinematics as in real walk. After I reached 1 miles walk I start to have problems with my right hip (left was replaced). The right is going everyday from bad to worst. The opinion of my family doctor after X-Rays of the right hip and nee is that only surgeon can help if he decide that the time is right for second surgery. After a week I will see him and will know what is going to happen with me. Im surprised that you feel the incision. I never have that feeling.
Gaurav

Redwood City, CA

#10 Feb 23, 2011
Hi
My mother is 60 years old, she has Hip Replacement Operation on 9 Feb 2011.When she will be able to walk on her own without support of cane?
kdst

Oakville, Canada

#11 Apr 19, 2011
My husband has surgery last wed april 13th and he is still in immerse pain and is on oxycotin.. what can I expect from week to week and how can I help him
Denise

Morrison, CO

#12 Apr 20, 2011
I had my hip replaced mid December 2010. I was in very fit shape and thought I would be back to work in 4 weeks. I refused pain meds in the hospital until they had me up for a shower and then I cried uncle. I was exhausted for several weeks but made sure I was up and walking around a little bit more every day. For me, the more I sat the more I hurt. Every day gets a little better and for me the best help that anyone gave me was to let me try to do something myself instead of doing everything for me. Everyone's recovery is different and that is the other thing to remember. I read one person's post about bi lateral replacement and back to work in 4 weeks and all I can say to that is AMEN!
kdst wrote:
My husband has surgery last wed april 13th and he is still in immerse pain and is on oxycotin.. what can I expect from week to week and how can I help him
krausternet

San Francisco, CA

#13 Apr 21, 2011
I had anterior hip replacement one week ago. I am 60. I was in the hospital for 2 days and have been home for 5. I came home with a 7 day supply of morphine (2 x 15mg a day) and some NORCO to control pain. plus antibiotics and blood thinners. The pain killers make me tired but I am starting to get up and move a little with a walker. Going to the bathroom and the kitchen. Leg is very numb and feels bruised but does not hurt until I move it.
PNW THR

Oak Harbor, WA

#14 Apr 30, 2011
kdst wrote:
I had surgery on the 6th of April and the first 2 weeks were very painful. I would never have slept w/o using oxy. Then it started to get better slowly and after another few days I was only using 600mg ibuprofen. I still have a lot of pain at the incision site but am able to get around with the walker quite well. I just started PT last week and am having trouble walking correctly. It does get a little depressing to be an invalid but be supportive and make sure he does the lying down exercises 2 or 3 times a day and the standing ones once or twice as tolerated. Everyone stresses how important it is to do the exercises in order to recover quickly. Best of Luck.
LJG

Canada

#15 May 20, 2011
I am a 74 year old woman who had total hip replacement surgery on april 6th 2011,
Prior to surgery I swam 3 km per day, 3 times per week for a period of about 6 months. Four days after surgery I was no longer taking pain med's. In hospital I was taught which exercies to do. Once home, I continued the exercises, added walking, first with two crutches, then with one crutch. Now, 6 weeks postoperative I walk two times per day for one half hour using one crutch. My surgeon has given permission to start swimming again. I now swim two times per week starting gradually. Whip those muscles in shape again. If someone my age can do it so can you. Do not give up. The day you stop trying is the day you start getting old.
jenny

Anonymous Proxy

#17 Aug 12, 2011
Hello there. Recovery after a hip replacement surgery depends on your overall health status. Ambulation, walking within your energy tolerance, can help you recover faster. It is good that you consult a therapist so that your activities will be guided and mobilization will be gradual without having to force the affected area. There are a number of patients who fully recover after the hip replacement surgery. However, there are also cases where surgery was not successful that resulted to a hip recall. I have a site that talks about hip recall, in case you want to know more about it. http://www.hiprecalllaw.com

Since: Sep 10

Smyrna, TN

#18 Aug 16, 2011
Have an appointment for THR on the left side the 26 of Sept 2011 and some time after that I will need the right side done . I dont really know what is ahead of me if anyone wants to FYI.
Thanks
Lilly

Palmdale, CA

#21 Sep 12, 2011
krausternet wrote:
I had anterior hip replacement one week ago. I am 60. I was in the hospital for 2 days and have been home for 5. I came home with a 7 day supply of morphine (2 x 15mg a day) and some NORCO to control pain. plus antibiotics and blood thinners. The pain killers make me tired but I am starting to get up and move a little with a walker. Going to the bathroom and the kitchen. Leg is very numb and feels bruised but does not hurt until I move it.
Just had my THR 3 weeks ago. I'm having numbness in the thigh of the operated leg and a lot of bruising in the calf and knee. Did you numbness ever get better?
Trish

Brighton, MI

#22 Sep 16, 2011
I am a 39-year-old woman. I am having THR in 3 weeks. My hips were never formed properly at birth and I have had problems since 6th grade. I was tols when I was 17 that I'd need THR by age 25. I always thought that THR would be thing thing that would allow me to do the things I could do when I was a kid, but now I am very worried that I will not be that much better off. Right now, I jet ski, bike, rollerblade (of course, it hurts like hell afterward). Will I ever get to do these things again after the replacement?
Jenny

Lincoln, UK

#26 Oct 28, 2011
Had 2nd opinion about my THR having had physio, injections etc for the pain in my groin. It has been suggested that I have an exploratory to find the cause of my pain, could be tendons, protruding pieces of bone or the ball itself, cannot stand anything pressing on my groin itself or bending down doing certain jobs, ie gardening etc. Nothing shows up on any scans. I am thinking of going ahead as I want my life back again without the continue pain when walking on hilly ground, getting into cars etc etc. Any help or advice please.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Falling after hip replacement (Jan '12) 2 hr weebles wobble 25
My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience (Nov '07) 10 hr joy 1,904
Is there a single case where HIP squeaking disa... 10 hr joy 2
Pros/Cons of 2 Approaches (Jul '14) Sun joy 25
post op of total hip replacement May 23 mariav 1
High Chromium an colbalt levels in blood and urine (Jun '10) May 21 kermie2750 39
9 weeks post op direct anterior approach and is... (May '12) May 20 Bruce 294
More from around the web