Post-op symptoms with Total Hip Repla...

Post-op symptoms with Total Hip Replacement

Posted in the Hip Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mish

Montgomery, AL

#1 Jan 21, 2009
Hi All!

My mother had a THR middle of Nov of 08; she has complained of a variety of medical symptoms and I'm not at all sure if they (the post-op symptoms) are are related to the surgical procedure or indicative of a separate health concern. Her doctor is a gifted surgeon, not so gifted when dealing with his patients.-we've tried asking about these "symptoms" and no one ever truly responds.

For those of you who've experienced a THR, has anyone experienced these symptoms?(post-op)

* nausea (on and off)
* burning pain in stomach
* fatigue (constant for the most part)
* chills (can't get warm during day)
* sweats (at night)
* lack of appetite

ANY help in this matter is greatly appreciated!
markie

Abbotsford, Canada

#2 Jan 21, 2009
Mish wrote:
Hi All!
My mother had a THR middle of Nov of 08; she has complained of a variety of medical symptoms and I'm not at all sure if they (the post-op symptoms) are are related to the surgical procedure or indicative of a separate health concern. Her doctor is a gifted surgeon, not so gifted when dealing with his patients.-we've tried asking about these "symptoms" and no one ever truly responds.
For those of you who've experienced a THR, has anyone experienced these symptoms?(post-op)
* nausea (on and off)
* burning pain in stomach
* fatigue (constant for the most part)
* chills (can't get warm during day)
* sweats (at night)
* lack of appetite
ANY help in this matter is greatly appreciated!
That isn't common symptons, sounds like your Mom could have an infection, does she have a fever?
Mish

Montgomery, AL

#3 Jan 25, 2009
Markie-

Thanks for replying; I had forgotten to check back to see if anyone ha replied, so again, thank-you.

To respond to your question, "No" , she doesn't have a fever. My mom is 67 and a retired ER nurse/supervisor, her background knowledge was not helpful in this case as she wound up recalling every former patient/case where mistakes/errors were made in the various hospitals. ex) surgeon operated on wrong limb/organ...that type of thing. However, now that the procedure is over she is having these odd physical symptoms/reactions.

She also informed me that her greatest concern was feeling as though she was sitting on a hard object when she sat down on ANY pc of furniture. That feeling even happens when she sits on her Tempurpedic mattress; she's quite frightened that something could be wrong (with this and the list in my previous post) so I've promised to help by checking w/ those of y'all that have gone thru this surgery or know of someone who has recently experienced a THR.

She may have to schedule an appt (aside from the specified post-op benchmark visits w/ surgeon) before her next benchmark. Her surgeon has treated her (myself included) with a rather cold manner, causing there to be a lack of comfort/safety in calling the office to ask a question. Not really the most compassionate behavior to exude, especially when it's normal for patients to feel vulnerable before/after these types of major surgical procedures.

Anyone know of any websites with good post-op info? Perhaps I might find something there with regard to her concern over the feeling of "sitting on something".

ANY help at all, is GREATLY appreciated!!!

-Mish :)
markie

Abbotsford, Canada

#4 Jan 25, 2009
Mish wrote:
Markie-
Thanks for replying; I had forgotten to check back to see if anyone ha replied, so again, thank-you.
To respond to your question, "No" , she doesn't have a fever. My mom is 67 and a retired ER nurse/supervisor, her background knowledge was not helpful in this case as she wound up recalling every former patient/case where mistakes/errors were made in the various hospitals. ex) surgeon operated on wrong limb/organ...that type of thing. However, now that the procedure is over she is having these odd physical symptoms/reactions.
She also informed me that her greatest concern was feeling as though she was sitting on a hard object when she sat down on ANY pc of furniture. That feeling even happens when she sits on her Tempurpedic mattress; she's quite frightened that something could be wrong (with this and the list in my previous post) so I've promised to help by checking w/ those of y'all that have gone thru this surgery or know of someone who has recently experienced a THR.
She may have to schedule an appt (aside from the specified post-op benchmark visits w/ surgeon) before her next benchmark. Her surgeon has treated her (myself included) with a rather cold manner, causing there to be a lack of comfort/safety in calling the office to ask a question. Not really the most compassionate behavior to exude, especially when it's normal for patients to feel vulnerable before/after these types of major surgical procedures.
Anyone know of any websites with good post-op info? Perhaps I might find something there with regard to her concern over the feeling of "sitting on something".
ANY help at all, is GREATLY appreciated!!!
-Mish :)
Wow that all sounds so weird, try allexperts.com they have people on there that can answer questions on different scenarios. Good Luck to your Mom!
Mish

Montgomery, AL

#5 Jan 25, 2009
Thanks Markie, I shall try that site and see what info I can find on her post-op symptoms!
Mish

Montgomery, AL

#6 Feb 7, 2009
Just an update:

All those strange mix of symptoms?

-Her doctor said immediately, "Oh that's all normal, it's due to the anesthesia; lots of patients have similar reactions and it's nothing to worry about."

If you say so, doctor....??(not sure I agree with this, but then again..I'm not a doctor!)

Just a "FYI" for all!

-Mish :)
eastWI

AOL

#7 Mar 4, 2009
Having just had THR mid-December, I quickly recognized the "burning pain in stomach" loss of appetitite and had to have my stomach scoped... results showed ulcers caused by NSAIDS (anti-inflammatory meds) from hip surgery... Allowed Tylenol only
Kris

Wednesbury, UK

#8 Mar 25, 2009
Just short of two weeks ago I had a THR and was released to come home on the 5th day -
On day 2 I walked firstly with a frame, then elbow crutches on day 3, plus ascending and descending stairs.
Of course now the real work starts. These are my own observations on myself : Exercises, start them gently and if necessary, depending on how one feels, start off doing them every alternate day. As soon as you can, walk, it doesnt have to be long stretches to start, just slowly build it up. Whenever you feel the need - sleep or take a nap. I felt the need to sleep nearly all the time! Now into the second week I am able to stay awake longer. Don't over-tire yourself and be gentle. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and your pain-free life hereafter is such a bonus.
I also felt I had lost my appetite, and if so, please do keep up your fluid intake. Water is best. My bowels also played up and I had to take medication to 'go.' The anaesthetic or tanquillisor to knock you out for the op takes its toll and has to work its way out of your system.
Slowly, but slowly it'll all start coming back - be patient and give yourself time. Very important to take any medication with food, never ever on an empty stomach.
Good luck!!
Laura

Bradenton, FL

#9 Apr 11, 2009
Hi Mish, Your mother is not alone. I am exactly the same age and have had some similar problems after my hip replacement. My surgery was done in late Jan. Had loss of appetite, problems with stomach, etc. and I'm still having trouble sitting. I also had a hematoma and cellulitis develop 4 days after surgery. That has been resolved. But the biggest problem is sitting, as it still feels like a golf ball is in there somewhere. And like your mother's doctor, mine is not too interested in my discomfort after what he considers successful surgery. I also have a swelling around the incision area and that may be pressing on the sciatic nerve. the doctor did prescribe a cortisone 6 day pill pack to reduce inflamation but it didn't help at all. The last thing he told me is to be patient and the swelling may go away in 6 months or so. My husband is not happy with this doctor who doesn't seem to want to be involved with my continuing pain. Since I last saw him 3 weeks ago, I have not noticed any improvement. My physical therapy sessions have ended, as I can do all the necessary things with my hip. Can walk without any cane, but with a noticeable limp and sleeping is not coming easily as I have pain in all the positions that are allowed. When I told him I was getting worried about taking sleeping pills for so long (I am not a pill person!), he responded that "everyone takes sleeping pills"! I DON'T THINK SO! How is your mother doing now, and has her doctor been able to help her at all. I know how it feels to call, when you know they are not too concerned with your aftercare. I was still very active before this surgery, golfing and riding my bike altho with some pain. Now I'm in more pain. Hope your mother is improving, and if so, would love to hear from you with any suggestions.
Josephine

Sheffield, UK

#10 Apr 15, 2009
Mish wrote:
Hi All!
My mother had a THR middle of Nov of 08; she has complained of a variety of medical symptoms and I'm not at all sure if they (the post-op symptoms) are are related to the surgical procedure or indicative of a separate health concern. Her doctor is a gifted surgeon, not so gifted when dealing with his patients.-we've tried asking about these "symptoms" and no one ever truly responds.
For those of you who've experienced a THR, has anyone experienced these symptoms?(post-op)
* nausea (on and off)
* burning pain in stomach
* fatigue (constant for the most part)
* chills (can't get warm during day)
* sweats (at night)
* lack of appetite
ANY help in this matter is greatly appreciated!
You don't say if your mother is still taking any pain pills for her hip (she shouldn't be at this stage) but on the assumption she is, I'd say the following.

If she's taking NSAIDs she should stop immediately as the first two are indicative of a sensitivity to them.

Fatigue, chills, sweats and loss of appetite are all symptomatic of long term use of pain killers. I had a knee replacement 4 weeks ago and have suffered all these myself. Also, it seems to be common amongst the members on BoneSmart. They will stop as soon as she no longer needs the pills or can get onto something less severe like Tylenol.

However, if she's not taking any meds then, as EastWI said, she could probably do with some gastric investigations as it's unlikely to be anything to do with her hip op. I suggest you go discuss this with your GP or PCP.

From one nurse to another, please give your mother my kind regards!

BoneSmart - the forum for hip/knee patients
http://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/index.p...
Mish

Selma, AL

#11 Apr 16, 2009
Update Info:
First off, please accept my most heartfelt "thanks" to ALL of you who endured this surgical procedure, yet took the time to share your advice and/or experiences!! I truly applaud each of you; having witnessed first-hand what y'all went thru, I'm not sure I could be as brave!!-Mom's the nurse, I'm the "chicken"!:)

To eastWI:
Thanks for your great advice; I shared your experience with my Mom and she made an appointment with her GP to look at the gastric angle as she agreed that her years of taking anti-inflam meds had reached a level of becoming a major food group for her! I'll let you know what story the upper GI series tell, next month!

To Kris:
Thanks for all the great tips! I hope you are recovering quickly; you certainly have a wonderful attitude and outlook and I've learned in life that can be half the battle when trying to regain strength and range of motion! Best of luck for a fabulous recovery!

To Laura:
I'm so sorry that you, too, have experienced the frustrating post-op condition, I've taken to calling "Surgeon Noncompassionitis" :)-I DID try to make it sound medical :)!!- And three cheers for your husband; he sounds very loving and protective- a true blessing!
My mom still dreads having the follow-up appts with her surgeon; her next one is in a few weeks. During her last visit, she asked the nurse about her list of symptoms (the pain when sitting/nausea/lack of appetite/etc). When the nurse suggested she ask the surgeon, we nicely explained "been there, done that". Thankfully, she took the time to listen and remained in the room to insure our questions were answered. Everything was attributed to anesthesia longevity except for the "pain when sitting". Now this would almost be funny, if it wasn't real...
-He jabbed (that's putting it mildly, by the way) his thumb into Mom's hip and asked her if that (profoundly unique medical test :o ) caused a great deal of pain!??? Before she answered, Mr Thumb-jabber struck again- this time in the area of the Sciatic nerve! Mom yelped in pain and apparently that was the reaction he was looking for b/c the yelp was followed by, "Well, your pain seems to be located in a region not attributed to your THR; therefore, it's not MY concern but a concern for your regular doctor. Any other questions?-No?, OK then...I'll see you back in 3 months ....NEXT!?" Such lovely follow-up care!:(
We will send up prayers that you have better luck in dealing with this "Surgeon Noncompassionitis"!
As of today, I can honestly say my mother is once again out-walking me (I have severe Fibromyalgia) and has no limp, whatsoever. I do recall her PT stressing that the last PT exercise (the one where you lay on the non-surgical hip and lift your surgical hip/leg [facing the ceiling] farther and farther) was the most important. It's a range of motion exercise and rather painful for the first couple weeks (thankfully it's the last one before PT ends)- but we were told it would make or break if she walked with a limp or not. And Mom did push herself with that exercise, maybe the lack of limp IS from doing that exercise?
Here's hoping you'll be chasing after that sweet husband of yours in no time!!!:)

And last but not least, To Josephine:
(what a beautiful name you have!)
Mish

Selma, AL

#12 Apr 16, 2009
Con't below

My Mom has never tolerated prescription pain meds; she did "better" with the IV pain meds, but once they gave her the oral pain meds, she vomited like always, so she was given two shots during the remainder of her hospital stay when the pain escalated too high for her to "grin and bare it".

The only meds she took at home (I remained with her the first month after surgery) were the blood thinner, her blood pressure med and Tylenol. Her surgeon strongly advises his patients to avoid Ibuprofen until 3 months post-op.

However, there IS one thing I forgot to mention in my first post... My mom has a severe allergy to all antibiotics, save for one. I know while in surgery, patients are given IV antibiotics (during THR and the like) and due to her severe allergy, she was given some type of IV "Benadryl". The second after she was released, "Thrush" took up residence in her mouth and she had to "Swish-n-spit" this horrible, foul-smelling medicine to clear-up that issue!

Is it possible that any of that caused the nausea, hot/cold flashes, etc?

I hope you are doing well after your knee replacement; my husband went thru 3 scopes and an ACL on his knee and the Orthopedic surgeons at the hospital (nurses, included) all emphatically stated that knee surgery is the toughest in terms of recovery/regaining range of motion. And my husband readily agreed with their assessment, so I've said extra prayers that you are doing well and recovering quickly!

And Mom sends YOU all the best wishes and thanks for your kind words!

Again, I can't begin to adequately express how much I appreciate y'all! I hope and pray that each of you are able to regain ALL the cherish activities you once enjoyed! And please let us know how you are doing, if you get the chance!

God Bless!

-Mish
JudyH

Auckland, New Zealand

#13 Apr 17, 2009
I am 14 weeks post HR and experience also the feeling that there is something hard in my buttock when I sit on a firm surface. I think though that it is unhealed tissue or muscle and that it will disappear with time as it heals.
Already the 'lump' is a bit smaller than it was several weeks ago.
Laura

Bradenton, FL

#14 Apr 18, 2009
To Mish, Thanks for your good wishes. I have been very faithful with all my exercises including the side leg lift that you described. Your mother is about 2 months ahead of me. I think the limp is slowly disappearing, but some days are definitely better than others. How long has your mother's limp been gone? At this point I still couldn't outwalk anyone but keep trying to go further each day, however at a rather slow pace and some days with more pain than I had before surgery. I've given up on my surgeon being of any help, and since we leave in less than two weeks for our summer place in Canada, I'm taking all my records with me. We're not too far from the NY border and I'll have them with me just in case I have still not improved in another month. I can always stay with my son in LI , NY for awhile if I have to seek more help. In fact, yesterday my GP told me it would be advisable to get a 2nd opinion on what may be causing my pain. Again, thanks for your reply and am glad to hear your Mom is doing so much better. Gives me some hope.

To Judy, thanks for the reply. I'm about 2 weeks behind you, so hope that I too will see some improvement soon. Some days I feel I'm doing better, then on other days it seems like I'm regressing. Will try to be more patient, and continue to push the exersises. I had expected a much faster recovery, but what can one do? Good wishes for your continued progress.
Jenny

Tadley, UK

#15 Apr 30, 2009
I had a hip replacement nearly a year ago and still have a large bulge on my side where it feels like any fat I had on my thighs has been stitched all in one place hence I am having difficulty with the clothes I wear to try and disguise it. I am worried about mentioning this to my consultant.
david

Abbotsford, Canada

#16 May 2, 2009
Kris wrote:
Just short of two weeks ago I had a THR and was released to come home on the 5th day -
On day 2 I walked firstly with a frame, then elbow crutches on day 3, plus ascending and descending stairs.
Of course now the real work starts. These are my own observations on myself : Exercises, start them gently and if necessary, depending on how one feels, start off doing them every alternate day. As soon as you can, walk, it doesnt have to be long stretches to start, just slowly build it up. Whenever you feel the need - sleep or take a nap. I felt the need to sleep nearly all the time! Now into the second week I am able to stay awake longer. Don't over-tire yourself and be gentle. Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and your pain-free life hereafter is such a bonus.
I also felt I had lost my appetite, and if so, please do keep up your fluid intake. Water is best. My bowels also played up and I had to take medication to 'go.' The anaesthetic or tanquillisor to knock you out for the op takes its toll and has to work its way out of your system.
Slowly, but slowly it'll all start coming back - be patient and give yourself time. Very important to take any medication with food, never ever on an empty stomach.
Good luck!!
Its been two weeks!!!! You should not be commenting...you know nothing yet.
Rhiane

San Jose, CA

#17 Oct 5, 2011
Symptoms of hip replacement complications may vary among patients. Although I cannot properly determine if your mom is experiencing some complications, I have read in http://www.hiprecalllaw.com of patients who are suffering from complications. I do hope your mom gets well soon.
Mish

Fort Payne, AL

#20 Oct 14, 2011
Oh, this is NOT good news; I believe my mother had this same hip replacement company. I will need to find out for sure. Her surgeon would have this info, I hope!

Hope everyone is doing well!:)
Jenny

Folkestone, UK

#21 Oct 15, 2011
I had a THR 3 yrs ago and I am still having pain in the groin particularly after exercise, ie walking, shopping, standing or even sitting too long on a hard surface. Also after walking I then have difficulty climbing the stairs. All becomes ok after resting for a while with a hot water bottle! I get a sharp stabbing pain if I stumble while walking ie over a rough surface or even if I sneeze. I love to go sequence dancing but find any twisting finishes me off and I have to stop. I have had 2 injections which did not work and had an ultrasound, CT scan, bone scan, but nothing shows up, but I am still having pain. My consultant has referred me to another hoping he will come up with a solution. I am so afraid I will be told that it is something I have to put up with. I have stopped driving as continually moving my leg starts to hurt and I am afraid I might not to be able to do an emergency stop if needed. Any help would be so appreciated.
Bell

Chicago, IL

#22 Nov 28, 2011
My grandfather who is a brain surgeon always said that when getting a doctor, you have to get someone you know because unfortunately some of his colleagues only care about making money and not a tad for their patients. You might not have a doctor-friend, but you could always ask that friend to refer you to someone who would care for you the same way that he would. Aside from making sure your doctor is skillful, make sure also that he has compassion for his patients, that way you would get all the answers you want regardless if it would be the ugly truth. According to this website, http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com , some medical device manufacturers have been reprimanded for paying orthosurgeons to promote their product among their patients.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ten months post-op cementless total hip replace... (Nov '08) 21 hr Fiveboysmom 156
How is life without your piriformis muscle afte... (Aug '14) Jul 24 artsygal 18
having bilateral thr with ceramic on xlpe at 26... Jul 22 ivar tawar 1
Hip Replacements for Martial Artists & Sports m... (Jul '08) Jul 21 Anonymous 50
What is the cost of a total hip replacement (Jul '07) Jul 21 BellaDonna90 122
Canadians & Anterior Approach (Jul '14) Jul 18 Truth21 7
bonesmart.org (Jul '14) Jul 18 Truth21 61
More from around the web