After Hip Replacement Pain
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Martha

Hollywood, FL

#1 May 14, 2011
I had an anterior total hip replacement a year ago and the results were miraculous.
Now a year later I have developed a soreness on the side of the prosthesis. Does not hurt all the time, but when I get up after sitting for a while it gets bad. Also when I lie on my right side in bed ( the surgery was on the left side, and then get up there is a pain that almost feels like metal on metal.
Walking is fine. Has anyone had any similar pains. One doctor suggested it was Scaitica.
jenny

Torrance, CA

#3 Aug 12, 2011
Hi. You should see the doctor who operated on your hip a year ago so he can take a closer look on the affected area and detailed assessment is carried out. If the surgery was successful, there should be no pain now. It is best that you have it checked immediately so the underlying cause will be determined. There have already been reports of hip replacement surgery that did not go well and even resulted to a hip recall. Your case may be one of those. Have your doctor check on you. Here is a link I found that talks about hip recall, you might want to know more about it. http://www.hiprecalllaw.com
Anne

San Jose, CA

#6 Oct 28, 2011
Have you hear about this http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/ ? I just hope that this is not your case.
Cherry

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 10, 2011
If a patient continues to feel pain after a hip replacement surgery, he is advised to go back to his surgeon as he may have been implanted with a defective hip device. This he should do especially if his implant was of the metal-on-metal kind. Patients who've had these devices have reported experiencing pain, swelling and difficulty walking. There have been also reports of metallosis. I've read in this website http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com that it often requires a revision surgery to correct this problem.

Since: Nov 11

Morgantown, PA

#8 Nov 16, 2011
Sciatic pain is usually felt down the buttocks and back of the leg... may also cause numbness and tingling in that leg. I am 2.5 months postop and just within the past few days have started to have tenderness in my operated hip (stiffness and tender to touch around incision)... but I agree - call your surgeon & talk to the nurse! They should be able to help :)
Dave

Clarks Summit, PA

#9 Dec 7, 2011
Pains are normally to be expected after hip replacement surgery. Medical professional will tell you that you need around 2-3 months to fully heal from the surgery. http://www.fosamaxfemurfracturelawsuit.com/fe...
Andrew

Plymouth, MN

#11 Mar 22, 2012
Hi Martha, I have this same kind of pain after a revision of my total hip. I've noticed it where the doc placed a metal brace on my femur to help keep things together. I suspect that may be the source of my soreness.

I've also noticed that the soreness is alleviated through the use of cushoins or comfortable seating. My chair at work is awful and I can often feel the pain after only a few seconds.

Ask your surgeon about what parts they used in your replacement, but just because you're sore after surgery, don't jump to the assumption the parts are faulty. Get in to your doc and have them take a look.
John Carlo

Seattle, WA

#12 Sep 4, 2012
I am suspecting that there is something wrong with your hip replacement, try checking http://www.depuyhiprecallcenter.com/depuy-asr... to know more about related cases.
Rob

Stittsville, Canada

#13 Sep 21, 2012
Hi I had total hip replacement about 6years ago. I have always had pain when walking bending ect. I went back to my surgeon many times to complain and he did x-rays and every time was the same results he said everything looks good on the x-rays.
Well four weeks ago I had to call an ambulance and within 2hours I was having surgery to remove my hip implant due to severe infection the surgeon said that the infection had been there for years, I am now on a I'v at home that pumps antibiotics in me every 8 hrs and if This kills infection I will get new hip after 4 to 6 months of being infection free.
This is not meant to scare anyone I would suggest if you have hip pain after a full recovery to not accept a doctor saying everything is ok insist on further testing blood work ect.
As of today I have three weeks left of antibiotics and they put a antibiotic implant in so I cannot put my full wait on my bad leg for 4 to 6 months so I live on crutches.
I hope this helps never accept what a doctor says it your body and you know when there is something wrong.
Good luck
Karen

San Jose, CA

#14 Mar 27, 2013
When a person is experiencing a pain with his or her hip replacement for so long after the surgery, there could be something wrong with the implant, it is best to be very cautious nowadays especially if you have a hip implant by DePuy Orthopaedics, which is now facing several lawsuits for allegedly being defective, to know more about this case, check some DePuy Recall News Center sites for more facts.
Fen

New York, NY

#15 Mar 29, 2013
Don't take for granted a pain that you are experiencing around your hip replacement because this may lead to a potential complication with your surgery, it is best to have a close contact with your doctor and lets hope you are not suffering the side effects of a defective hip implant, like of those i have read at hipreplacementlawsuitcenter .com
Clouie J

Oman

#16 Apr 22, 2013
Yes you need to see the surgeon who operated on you a year ago because there might be a problem with your hip implant. There have been news about hip implants failing, I have even read articles about it at http://pinnaclelawsuit.typepad.com while I was browsing about hip replacements.
Kay

Wakefield, UK

#17 May 1, 2013
Hi I had total hip replacement done almost 2 years ago and I am still suffering pain .i have asthma and I have a bad cough and when I cough this causes unbearable pain ,I've had ex rays and scans done but my surgeon says he is happy to tell me everything is fine and now my other hip is getting bad but I'm to scared to have it replaced I have rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and I know I will always have pain but this is agony
BillyEdTimmy

Duncan, Canada

#18 Jun 17, 2013
I had THR in Dec2012. Things were going well with my recovery up until a month ago. Up until then, I felt so wonderful to not have the nagging/searing pain that threatened with each step and kept me awake at nights. It was such liberation.

Then, about a month ago, after having walked without any aids for 2 months and was getting back to 'regular' work, I started having this sharp pain that exacerbates with weight-bearing and with distance walked. At first I thought it was something upset in the small muscles around the hip, but I'm not so sure. My surgical report indicates I have the DePuy Pinnacle cup with poly liner, so what I've read worries me a bit.
Ed H

New Kensington, PA

#19 Jun 18, 2013
My wife had a THR in March this year. Operation went well and she progressed well in recovery, as noted by her progression of movement and by her scheduled exams. Two weeks ago she had and ear infection in both ears which she was then put on a ten day antibiotic. Over the last week she has started to experience sharp pain area around hip and thigh. Her doctor ordered blood work today and we are waiting on the results. He indicated to her that it probably was an infection. I am skeptical on this diagnosis based upon the quick onset of pain she is experiencing. Needless to say, she feels like she is going backwards and very depressed about the situation. What questions should be asked of the doctor, I am not sure. Just looking for suggestions to consider
AHARVEY

Englewood, NJ

#20 Jun 19, 2013
HAD right hip replacement 8 months ago<was back to work in 7 weeks,got tight ness in the joint all the time feels like it want to be stretched all the time,i do a lot of that ,it feels good but don't last long,have no problem with walking etc.just the tightness and the feeling of needs to be streched
Mary

New York, NY

#21 Jun 20, 2013
Since these side effects occur a year after the surgery, i think its best to go back to your original surgeon to see what seems to be the problem. If you are not comfortable with his/her findings, better to get second opinion just to be sure. I can't really tell if its Scaitica or not, I'm not a doctor myself. But i hope your doctor can recommend a proper treatment. Some even have more adverse effects than yours, I hope it wont all come to that. News and updates on hip replacement found here: http://depuyrecallnewscenter.doomby.com/
Liz Hogan

Paterson, NJ

#22 Jun 23, 2013
Ed H wrote:
My wife had a THR in March this year. Operation went well and she progressed well in recovery, as noted by her progression of movement and by her scheduled exams. Two weeks ago she had and ear infection in both ears which she was then put on a ten day antibiotic. Over the last week she has started to experience sharp pain area around hip and thigh. Her doctor ordered blood work today and we are waiting on the results. He indicated to her that it probably was an infection. I am skeptical on this diagnosis based upon the quick onset of pain she is experiencing. Needless to say, she feels like she is going backwards and very depressed about the situation. What questions should be asked of the doctor, I am not sure. Just looking for suggestions to consider
Your doctor is being prudent to check for any implant infection. In addition to bood work, as aspiration of fluid from the hip can also confirm the diagnosis of infection. Even though it sounds odd to experience pain so quickly after an infection exposure, this is exactly how it frequently happens. My husband had an infection three years after his hip replacement, and the most important thing is to find a doctor who is an expert in treating this. Having a hip replaced is one thing, but treating an implant infection requires the very best expert you can find. My husband went to the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC, and they did a wonderful job there. After having an antibiotic impregnated spacer put in, and undergoing IV antibiotics for six weeks, he then had to wait another 2 1/2 months to have a permanent implant put in. It wasn't pleasant, but after this whole ordeal he feels great with no pain and is back to full activity with his new hip. Good luck!
Geraldine

Ireland

#23 Jun 26, 2013
Hi I had a total hip revison in 2007 and I'm surffering a lot of pain at the min is anyone else the same as me
Mary

Nashville, TN

#25 Jul 5, 2013
Had THR Nov 2010. In Jan. 2011, I reached down to pick up an item and experienced a terrible pain. Since then my hip pops ever step I take. Surgeon says replacement is fine. It does not pop walking backward. I am in pain unless at rest at night. Leg burns all the time. Surgeon says it is my IT band.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Officer (Feb '08) Fri Carlos 27
My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience (Nov '07) Apr 26 marcy 1,941
Illiopsoas pain after thr (Mar '08) Apr 21 Anonymous 16
NY Hip Replacement Apr 19 Hipster 1
9 weeks post op direct anterior approach and is... (May '12) Apr 8 Kgluhak 318
Falling after hip replacement (Jan '12) Apr 6 Marcia 36
bilateral hip replacement questions.. (May '09) Apr 3 horseynana_dresden 112
More from around the web