contact with women with total hip replacement patients

Posted in the Hip Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Arnie Berk

Santa Ana, CA

#1 Nov 14, 2009
My 60 year old wife is scheduled to have a THR next week. She is very anxious about limitations after the 6-8 week healing period and beyond. Does anyone know of a way she can communicate with women who have had this surgery? Please send any advice to berk@mbi.ucla.edu
gmk

Erie, PA

#2 Nov 14, 2009
Arnie Berk wrote:
My 60 year old wife is scheduled to have a THR next week. She is very anxious about limitations after the 6-8 week healing period and beyond. Does anyone know of a way she can communicate with women who have had this surgery? Please send any advice to berk@mbi.ucla.edu
I just had mine 2 months ago and would be glad to answer any questions regarding my experience. Is she having a minimally invasive procedure or a traditional THR?
whisty

United States

#3 Nov 27, 2009
I just turned 50 in October and have been told I need both hips replaced. First one is scheduled in January. I would like to chat with other younger THR females...I have questions on the limitations after the surgery. Doc had said only two: no running or jumping. As I do research online I am finding several that the doc didn't mention.
Lisa

Ellicott City, MD

#4 Nov 29, 2009
Whisty - I am 47 and had an anterior approach hip replacement 10 days ago. Are you planning to have a traditional hip replacement or the anterior approach? I highly recommend the anterior approach, especially if you're concnerned about restrictions. My doctor told me my only restriction was running (I was previously a runner)- the reason he doesn't want me to run is because I'm relatively young and running will put more stress on the device and perhaps reduce the life of the hip.
Phyl

Clovis, CA

#5 Jan 17, 2010
I am 59 and just this week the THR was recommended for me. I am very anxious about the recovery, I have no idea of what to expect. Can anyone give me info on how what this is like? Dr was very thorough on why he felt this was my best option and I don't fear the operation itself, it's the recovery that is my great unknown.
Kathie

Oshkosh, WI

#6 Jan 18, 2010
I am now 50 and had my left hip replaced in Feb. 2008 and then my right in April 2008. I continue to have problems with pain in my left hip most of the time. But after sitting for a while, I do experience pain in both and have to get up to move around a bit. Is there anyone out there two years post op, still having these problems?
carol

Schenectady, NY

#7 Jan 24, 2010
Kathie wrote:
I am now 50 and had my left hip replaced in Feb. 2008 and then my right in April 2008. I continue to have problems with pain in my left hip most of the time. But after sitting for a while, I do experience pain in both and have to get up to move around a bit. Is there anyone out there two years post op, still having these problems?
I had bilateral resurfacings in March and May of 2006. The first hip healed very nicely within 6 weeks. Initially I had much pain in the second hip and it took more than 6 months before it felt good. Then the first hip started hurting and I developed a slight limp. Everything appeared fine on xrays and my surgeon then sent me for PT which helped a little. From time to time I would have pain and a silent grinding feeling in that hip but was assured everything was fine and it was just the ligaments and the pain was most probably due to sciatica. I choose not to have cortisone injections but did seek chiropracter adjustments along with massage and was doing a little better. Then In late November after a water aerobics class the hip began to really hurt and within a few days I had to start using a walker.. Xray still looked fine and scans and blood tests were done to try to detect infection. Nothing significant showed but last week another xray showed a fracture in my pelvis along with a shift in the cup portion of the resurfacing which explains my severe pain. I am scheduled now for a THR. Hope this solves my problem and that you don't have to go this route. I have a Biomet resurfacing - my new surgeon uses Zimmer products.
Kate

Seattle, WA

#8 Jan 24, 2010
Regarding limitations for females after surgery (I had a THR at age 50) in my experience there were very few. The only thing they stressed to me was to not get into a sexual position while on your back with your thighs pressed up against your chest (could pop your replacement out supposedly). Besides the fact that it takes months (in my case about 9) to get the flexibility back on the side of your body that got the replacement, especially muscles around the area, that was it.
kathy RH Ct

Rocky Hill, CT

#9 Apr 17, 2010
Please let me know if anyone has grinding or squeaking in their hip. I had replacement 6yrs ago and they are both doing that, and getting louder. Thank you
kathy RH Ct

Rocky Hill, CT

#10 Apr 17, 2010
Please let me know if anyone has grinding or squeaking in their hip after they had replacement done. I have both hips replaced and after a few yrs they both started to grind. Thank you
CTB

Calgary, Canada

#11 Apr 19, 2010
Hey whisty,
restrictions depends mostly on the type and size of the hip your getting. larger ball hips have a larger swing plane and range of motion
with less fear of dislocation. more stability.
working the re-hab is one of the most important
steps you can do. find a great physio place -one with a pool. the pool was very effective in speeding up my recovery as far as balance and strength were concerned, took about 6 months--then really i felt pretty much normal.
i had a large ball metal on metal, large ball 2 years ago. i worked hard in re-hab and today i forget that i even had it done. i had the THR the regular one. My doc, mentioned its easier to get the new joint.
most of the restrictions are until your healed, once the scar tissue and the tendons are back to strength your new hip works much like your old one, accept without cartilge you shouldnt be running to avoid stress fractures on the bone parts holding the implants in place. no shock absorber for lack of a better word.
far as swimming,biking,hiking and child bearing and even intimatacy -- no worries...after your healed!all of life is great with no pain.
stretching and walking are huge. confidence comes by staying active.
god speed in healing, and patience!
CT
Chris

Huntersville, NC

#12 Apr 19, 2010
I had bi-lateral just about 3 years ago. Anterior approack, the only restrictions were junning and jumping. I play racquetball and he said that was fine, also I ride horses, it is so great to be able to swing my leg over the saddle with no difficulty. It was the best thing I could have done, all my range of motion is back, I didn't realize how little I had before, couldn't even push in the clutch, step over anything like a picnic table or into a car, now I don't even think about it. Good luck with the surgery, do your physical therapy and look forward to a normal life.
kari

Williamsport, PA

#13 Aug 4, 2010
whisty wrote:
I just turned 50 in October and have been told I need both hips replaced. First one is scheduled in January. I would like to chat with other younger THR females...I have questions on the limitations after the surgery. Doc had said only two: no running or jumping. As I do research online I am finding several that the doc didn't mention.
I just turned 23 and I had my hip replaced earlier this year. There are alot more retrictions than that. I had mine in feb. and im still having complications and restrictions.
carrie

United States

#14 Aug 6, 2010
kari wrote:
<quoted text>
I just turned 23 and I had my hip replaced earlier this year. There are alot more retrictions than that. I had mine in feb. and im still having complications and restrictions.
Kari,

Did you trouble finding a physician to do your surgery? I am 35 and have been told by 2 physicians that i need a total hip replacement but neither wants to do it because of my age. I have 3 children under the age of 5 and my pain level makes it very difficult to care for them properly; it's very frustrating.
Carol

Washington, DC

#15 Aug 7, 2010
My first orthopedist thought I was too young because I was 61! I changed doctors & had bilateral hip replacement (the old fashioned kind) in June and was pronounced 'restriction-free' 6 weeks later. Kari, I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but your experience is not typical. On the other end, I was walking with a cane the day after surgery and was nearly pain-free, which isn't typical, either. At my age, you know a lot of people with hip replacements and I only know one who had complications.

BTW, Carrie, my hospital required I take a class before surgery. One of the women was only 32. Find a great surgeon and a hospital with an excellent ortho. dept and start feeling better!
Anonymous

West Palm Beach, FL

#16 Aug 13, 2010
Chris wrote:
I had bi-lateral just about 3 years ago. Anterior approack, the only restrictions were junning and jumping. I play racquetball and he said that was fine, also I ride horses, it is so great to be able to swing my leg over the saddle with no difficulty. It was the best thing I could have done, all my range of motion is back, I didn't realize how little I had before, couldn't even push in the clutch, step over anything like a picnic table or into a car, now I don't even think about it. Good luck with the surgery, do your physical therapy and look forward to a normal life.
Hi Chris, I am so glad to see that you can ride horses. I too am a horse rider and need my right hip replaced. I am still petrified of surgery as I have never had any surgery and am now in my 50's. I am hoping to get the anterior surgery replacement. Did you have anterior or posterior surgery and what kind of anasthesia did you have? I look forward to not having this pain in my hip, but I am still petrified of going to sleep for surgery. Thank you for your response.
Annie-Spain

Formentera Del Segura, Spain

#17 Aug 14, 2010
I had my THR in April 2007. I had no choice with the anaesthesia.It is done with epidural in Spain and I can fully recommend it as you have none of the after effects of a general anaesthetic. One word of advice, do your homework and find out what type of prosthesis they are going to use. The ceramic on ceramic is often used in younger patients but huge problems have occured with the ceramic throwing off bits of debris. Squeaking and grinding noises are also a problem. Have a look at Class action lawsuit-Strykers queaky hip.

Since: Aug 10

Minooka, IL

#18 Aug 14, 2010
I am 27 and had my right hip replaced in February. I'll answer any questions I can.
scarlette

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Oct 28, 2010
i had thr right hip 12/09 & have been doing great until now & it hurts to lay on my right side for any amount of time...i see doc in 2 months for 1 yr follow-up, just wondered if anyone else has/is experiencing this? thanks much & God bless...scarlette
SallyH

Danbury, CT

#20 Dec 6, 2010
I am having THR on my left side tomorrow AM...very nervous, as I am 48 and have been very active.(yoga, long walks with dogs). I came to this decision once my range of motion got so bad,and the stiffness got to the point it made me dread yoga and walking the dogs...so, here I sit waiting to be on the other side of this experience. I am wondering about yoga (wait six months? That seems too long)...getting excited about walking 1/2 mile after 2 months?? Seems too long a wait for too short a distance...but I don't want to threaten my long term success. I would love to hear about the first couple of weeks.(I am coming home and skipping the rehab center). Can anyone talk about sex after THR? I am so nervous, but my pain has limited that part of my life as well. I just want to move on, but how patient should I be? What can I expect the first 2-3 weeks?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How much pain 4-6 weeks post op total hip (Jul '08) Oct 23 Sherry 67
SuperPath Total Hip Replacemt (Dec '12) Oct 22 Jim 109
Super Path hip replace,ment Oct 21 new to this 1
My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience (Nov '07) Oct 20 Joy 1,894
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) Oct 18 auntiemoo 46
anterior lateral total hip replacement Oct 15 someone new 11
Femoral nerve damage Oct 15 Ruth 8

Hip Replacement People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE