How soon will I be able to walk after hip replacement?

Posted in the Hip Replacement Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Ann Oliver

Livermore, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2012

On March 12,2012 I will have a right hip replacement. Then in about two months I will have the left hip done. I had two back surgeries in the past six months and have not walked without a walker for nine months. I SO want to be able to walk across the room on my own and hopefully without pain.
Any one out there ----did you go into surgery and were not walking with out aid and how did you do with physcial therepy?
I've been taking a large dose of pain medicine...will the pain be less after surgery?
I love the Forum and will continue to read your thoughts and ideas.
Thanks.....!
Gabrielle

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2012

Actually, doctors usually requires you to walk after surgery but not abruptly, just few steps just to adjust the mobility of your newly implanted hip. See also http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/recall
Helena Gastuv

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2012

Most people can stay at the hospital for 5-8 weeks for recovery wherein they will practice walking with an aid. The key to having a fast recovery is to religiously exercise but not to the point of straining. Know more about it at http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com .
Leo Daniels

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2012

Your doctor will advise you to take few steps after surgical procedure. It is best that you follow your doctors order for to be able to have a fast recovery. You can also refer to http://www.hiprecalllaw.com/ for more info.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Each individuals has their different recoveries after the hip replacement surgery but the doctors will usually advice what to do some procedures of treatment, exercise, practices or even their diet. Well, i had read some hip problems here http://www.rotlaw.com/depuy-pinnacle after their hip operations.
Patrick Kennicott

Mount Vernon, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

I had a right anterior hip replacement on 7/19/12. I walked with full weight on my right leg the next morning. I was on my way home 48 hours after the surgery. Five day after my surgery I stopped all narcotic pain meds because I didn't need them. Today, 12 days after surgery, I will walk a mile in small segments without pain, a walker, crutches or a cane.
Susan

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

I' m a very fit, active almost 67 year old going in for total hip replacement 25/08/12
I'm not worried about the surgery as my surgeon has a great reputation for doing a good job and for follow-up care. However, I'm a Fiercely independent individual (possibly a control freak!) and although I have a husband and concerned adult kids who live locally, I really, really want to maintain as much independence as possible. So, here's my question: how much must one follow the written instructions to the letter?
Tom

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

Susan wrote:
I' m a very fit, active almost 67 year old going in for total hip replacement 25/08/12
I'm not worried about the surgery as my surgeon has a great reputation for doing a good job and for follow-up care. However, I'm a Fiercely independent individual (possibly a control freak!) and although I have a husband and concerned adult kids who live locally, I really, really want to maintain as much independence as possible. So, here's my question: how much must one follow the written instructions to the letter?
Hi Susan,
Have the doc look at the xray in front of you, ask how much lenght discrepancy you will have after the operation, and do you have short necks,thats the piece of bone under the ball.
I had a great surgeon too, I think he just winged my operation and fuged me up for life, saying I had short necks and he had to make things fit to specs.
My thr on the right leg went well but the leg is now 1.5" longer,still have alot pain old and new, 2 years later,I ware a 1" lift on my left shoe and the knee is starting to burn now. It's like wearing a brick on the bottom of my shoe.
Follow the instructions to the letter and stop any blood thinners including fish oil. Knowledge is power,good luck Love.
Tom
Grant

Romford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Tom wrote:
<quoted text>

Follow the instructions to the letter and stop any blood thinners including fish oil. Knowledge is power,good luck Love.
Tom
Hi Tom, sorry to hear things didnt go to plan as expect. I was wondering about what you said about not to take anything that is are Blood thinners.

My Mum has just had a Hip replacement a month ago and she is taking Muti-Vitamins and Cod liver oil capsules. Is this not a good idea?

Also, she cant put any weight on the leg she had the H.R as it cant take any weight still and the operation was about a month ago.. as the leg collapses if she tries to stand with her weight on it. She is still using crutches to move around the house.

I was wondering is this normal for someone to not be able to put weight on that side after a month? She has been back for 1 rehabilitation session.. but it didn't help much.

Any info or advice would be great from anyone.. thanks!
Grant

Romford, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

p.s sorry for the bad spelling/grammar of my message. I'm writing this at 3am in the morning!! and really tired.
bob

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2012

I had a total hip replacement 7 weeks ago. Spent 2 and a half days in the hospita then home. On the day after my sergery I was walking, with a walker. The day after i was discharged fromthe hospital I started Physical theropy. Tuesdays and Fridays under their direction and other days their prescribed exercise routine. I played golf today with no help from my cane and no pain pills. A minimal amount of discomfort.My advise,Get in to PE and exercise.
Srini

Mumbai, India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

I'm at age 30 did the hip replacement in my right side but still I feel paining at walking and i couldn't walk freely without walker. Pls advice me the reason.
Jane

Leicester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2012

bob wrote:
I had a total hip replacement 7 weeks ago. Spent 2 and a half days in the hospita then home. On the day after my sergery I was walking, with a walker. The day after i was discharged fromthe hospital I started Physical theropy. Tuesdays and Fridays under their direction and other days their prescribed exercise routine. I played golf today with no help from my cane and no pain pills. A minimal amount of discomfort.My advise,Get in to PE and exercise.
This is very good!!.I am due to have my hip done soon .I hope I do just as well as you . keep up the good work up .
I am in leicestershire.
Daisy

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

From what I read, recovery occurs four to six weeks and involves walking with minimal or no aids and giving up major pain killers for simple over-the-counter medications. Although, there are many factors that may contribute to recovery time, but typically patients may return to normal life activities within one to six months. However, complications may occur also such as inflammation, pain, and metallosis. I came across this site http://www.strykerhipreplacementrecall.net/st... and they have recent news and updates about hip replacement problems, you may want to visit it.
Eliza Winestock

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com/ is great. I went through the site and it has helped me enormously.

Must be an angel. got the site from here.

Of course, I would have preferred not having my DePuy had I known I'd end up in pain.
Joe

Caldwell, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Had hip replacement 9 weeks ago the left hip will be done in the fall.I am walking ok except if I try to walk a distance without stopping my legs and back get very tired.I'm in good shape and used to run.anyone know why?
hippy chick

Ontario, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2013

Judged:

Hey guys!
this is my 3rd hip surgery on the same hip. The last surgery left me with a 4" leg length difference so this was just a revision.
This is what I know from having 3 surgeries and recovery of each.
You are all different and things take time, they the PT and ( hosp) want you to walk and move it's good for you prevents blood clots and get's you moving. Take it easy don't over do anything.. normally it's 2 or 3 hours up and 2 or 3 hours down. Always ice your incision site after exercise, you will have swelling for 2 months. Do what YOUR doctor and PT tells you to do. Also the exercises they tell you to do such as laying flat and pulling your legs up and or outward and toe flexes are good, it will take time to build back up for your muscles , tendons etc. Give yourself a break mentally and physically. The body is an amazing thing and will bounce back in time. Take it slow , don't over due anything. I myself have had the ball replaced and it's day 7 for me . I get on my treadmill and walk at a speed of 1.0. like a snail for about 5 min.. I know it will build up . If you have questions or concerns call your surgeon , Pt or nurse, they deal with these types of questions all the time instead of being on this site of the "what if"s, the how comes... we are all different and recover different as well. god speed to all of you. this too shall pass it takes time and patience..:) good luck
Manny

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

For traditional hip surgeries, it may take weeks months even for a patient to get back on their feet. It helps to use a cane as support and it can also exercise your feet until surgery starts to heal. For more information, see: www.hipreplacementlawsuitcenter.com
Brian

Pioneer, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Normally pain after surgery is inevitable and might experience for a few weeks. That's why doctors prescribed their patients with pain relievers but it will eventually ease out s it heals. As per walking, you might want to do it one at a time, no need to hurry. Light exercises also helps. To know more, refer: http://www.depuyrecallnewscenter.com/lawsuits...
Jed Hirsch

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

I had h
My right one replaced Monday. Today is Saturday May 18th. I am young 52, in good health. I was walking with a walker day 2, and except for low blood pressure, no complications. I was out of hospital Thursday, I am now walking with a cane. So far so good. I hope your surgery goes well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of32
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Hip Replacement Forum right now

Search the Hip Replacement Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pain medication after total hip replacement 2 hr Nick 3
chair after hip replacement surgery 2 hr Nick 9
bonesmart.org 6 hr MsTexas 21
Obese patients sometimes denied replacements fo... (May '06) 12 hr hippie2 41
Posterior vs Anterior approach for Hip Replacement Fri joy 4
Great results from total hip replacement Fri Nogods 22
knee complications after hip surgery (May '08) Fri Nogods 97
•••
•••