Stacey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2010

I had a metal on metal replacement done 8 years ago. I have been experiencing alot of pain in the last few months and just found out today that my chromium and colbalt ions in my blood and urine are very high. Has anyone else had this problem? Does this mean I will need a revision? I would appreciate any help you can give
geraldatwork

Smithtown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Unfortunately it could mean just that. I would have it checked asap. I had a metal on metal about 10 months ago. While I am doing great (see blog) it is something I am concerned about. I do a lot of bike riding which in my case is almost 20,000 revolutions per ride. This is probably equivalent of about a month of general activity..
http://geraldatwork.blogspot.com/
Stacey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

Does anyone know the risks to a patients liver, kidney, ect from really high cobalt and chromium ions in the blood
Stacey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2010

geraldatwork wrote:
Unfortunately it could mean just that. I would have it checked asap. I had a metal on metal about 10 months ago. While I am doing great (see blog) it is something I am concerned about. I do a lot of bike riding which in my case is almost 20,000 revolutions per ride. This is probably equivalent of about a month of general activity..
http://geraldatwork.blogspot.com/
I am scheduled for a revision in three weeks.I am kind of worried about what such high metal ion levels can do to my kidneys and liver. I am having minor symptoms of problems with both. I had a whole blood work up done, but I wont know anything until monday. Any thoughts?
thomas

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2011

stacey.. ass like you.. i am totally worried about my blood work.. i have had skin ulcers as well as been having kidney pain and liver pain.. i'm not sure what your readings were, but i was told and shown that it was supposed to be 1.2 and when i got my blood work back, it was 5.4 my hip will be replaced in two weeks, and it can't come soon enough.. i live in beverly hills florida, and having my surgery done in tampa.. i hope all your goes well.. good luck..
Joe

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2011

Stacey wrote:
<quoted text>
I am scheduled for a revision in three weeks.I am kind of worried about what such high metal ion levels can do to my kidneys and liver. I am having minor symptoms of problems with both. I had a whole blood work up done, but I wont know anything until monday. Any thoughts?
What were your levels. My levels are very high and revision is scheduled for December. What medical symptoms did you experience and how soon did your levels go down post surgery?
Concerned Son

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2011

My mother fell in 7/08 and had partial replacement. After 2 months, she had intense pain. Eventially had revision in 8/09 to total replacment which was metal on metal. About 12-14 months ago, approx year after her revision, she started having intense urinary tract burning. She has been to 3 different urlogosits and nothing found as to the cause of her burning. Recently she found out that her Cobalt level was 11.9 blood based and almost 40 urinine based. The orthopedic doctor says theses levels are expected and shows that the body is filtering the metals out but we can't help but think that this high concentrate in her urine is causingh this burning. Anyone have any information concerning this?
Granny B

Broken Arrow, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2012

To concerned son: Reading your post has answered some questions for me. I've experienced the same problems as your mother. My urinary problems come and go, but I can testify that when they come, it feels like passing battery acid. Nothing ever shows up in a urine test when I go to the doctor for a suspected UTI. My first hip replacement was in '06 and my OS notified me a couple of years ago that it is a DePuy recalled hip. My blood cobalt has been around 14 but the the urine level of cobalt has never been checked. I'm thinking it would be similar to your mom's. As I'm having other symptoms of cobalt and chromium poisoning, my DePuy hip is to be revised soon. Please urge your mom to insist on further testing, as this stuff can do really bad things to you, as it has done to me.
John Axel

New City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

When using a metal-on-metal hip replacement, the concentration of this ions in the body increases overtime which may eventually end up in metallosis or cobalt toxicity.

The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery presented a case report about the complaints of two clients who manifested adverse effects after receiving metal-on-metal hip replacements. Symptoms of cobalt toxicity after implantation of the device were seen on the patients.

Visit http://depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com for more information.
EGL

Princeton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

Stacey wrote:
I had a metal on metal replacement done 8 years ago. I have been experiencing alot of pain in the last few months and just found out today that my chromium and colbalt ions in my blood and urine are very high. Has anyone else had this problem? Does this mean I will need a revision? I would appreciate any help you can give
That could be very serious and indicate your implant device is failing. A special M.A.R.S. MRI should be performed ASAP and it is likely a new ( non metal on metal) device must be implanted
Craig

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Hi, i live in New Zealand and have the same problems. A metal on metal hip eleven and a half years ago, and since about 2008 a lot of hand/wrist arthritic problems requiring surgical releases. Now my hands are like immobile claws and my entire body aches (joint/muscles) from head to foot. Also i am now totally weak in strength. I decided to have my chromium and cobalt levels checked for the first time ever,a dnthey were at over 6 times the maximum in urine, and 2.75 times the maximum in blood. Also my eyesight is weakening and my aorta is swelling. This deadly hip must be removed ASAP or it will kill me i think.
Bruce

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

What are considered to be high cobalt and chromium levels in your blood?
Shella

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

There's a possibility that there are metal particles that were mixed into your bloodstream. This occurs when metal ions wear off because of the metal components that are constantly rubbing together. This is one common side effect of hip replacement surgery especially if you're using metal on metal implants. Its advisable to see a doctor right away because this may lead to a medical condition called metallosis. See: www.hipreplacementlawsuitcenter.com
Bruce

Dothan, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Shella wrote:
There's a possibility that there are metal particles that were mixed into your bloodstream. This occurs when metal ions wear off because of the metal components that are constantly rubbing together. This is one common side effect of hip replacement surgery especially if you're using metal on metal implants. Its advisable to see a doctor right away because this may lead to a medical condition called metallosis. See: www.hipreplacementlawsuitcenter.com
Fully understand but what is considered to be a high level of chromium and cobalt? What level would be a health risk??
Craig

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Bruce wrote:
What are considered to be high cobalt and chromium levels in your blood?
i think that is any level over and above the prescribed 'normal' levels of zero to 16, and zero to 20 (either in blood serum or passed urine), so if your level is at say 6 times 16, or 6 times 20, that is 'a high overload'
Craig

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Shella wrote:
Thank you ! YES ! i only became aware of the problem when about 8 weeks ago i was being overcome with what i thought was fibromyalgia (pain and stiffness in the muscles from head to foot)... then i saw a newspaper article on MoM hips and the hitherto unknown toxic problems they can cause (general inflammation and arthritic symptoms... so after a blood/urine test the problem was shown to exist ..yesterday i had an ultrasound and x-rays of the MoM joint area ..tomorrow an ortho surgeon will tell me what he thinks can be done (in this country it is possible to have a govt insurer known as 'ACC' pay for a replacement unit provided the original one was at fault rather than just worn out. Also i have begun EDTA chelation therapy (IV 90 minute drip of weak acid) to electrically 'drag out' the metal ions in the blood.. expensive, and it takes up to 20 chelations to bring levels back down to a healthy level, but so well worth it if it saves heart and eyesight and liver and kidneys...:))
Craig

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Fully understand but what is considered to be a high level of chromium and cobalt? What level would be a health risk??
...sorry i was late replying, but please see the answer above now (0 to 16, and 0 to 20)
Craig

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

It seems that MoM recipients have been unwitting uncontrolled experimentees on behalf of the joint manufacturers and there is a Class Action being brought against some of the manufacturers over in London right now for this unethical situation. How many people have had their health adversely affected by MoM implants is totally unknown across the world at this present time....
Deonne

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

One of the side effects of metal on metal hip implants is metal poisoning.. When metal components rub each other frequently, the surface may release metal ions that may flow into a patient's bloodstream causing swelling and pain. If pain persists over the years. its best to consult your surgeon and you can even seek for other surgeons for a second opinion. See the DePuy Recall News Center site
Craig

Auckland, New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

Deonne wrote:
One of the side effects of metal on metal hip implants is metal poisoning.. When metal components rub each other frequently, the surface may release metal ions that may flow into a patient's bloodstream causing swelling and pain. If pain persists over the years. its best to consult your surgeon and you can even seek for other surgeons for a second opinion. See the DePuy Recall News Center site
Yes, true :)..it seems there are other metals that are 'rubbed-off' in addition to chromium and cobalt. These are metal ions of molybdenum and titanium. If someone already has a mouthful of amalgam fillings it is quite easy to 'overload' the body's ability to cope with this range and extent of heavy metals in the system.

The amalagams give rise to mercury in the body, then when you add in the titanium, the molybdenum, and the last two super toxic ones (cobalt and chromium) you have quite a situation going-on.

Both chromium and cobalt are recognized by the body and they readily participate in the biochemical metabolic processes.

Specifically the metabolic processing of the Omega 3 and the Omega 6 fats is hi-jacked by these intruder heavy metals.

The joints throughout the body along with the tendons and nerve sheaths are starved of lubrication. They become inflammed and swollen and 'sticky'..eventually virtually crippling the person with severe inflammation and pain from head to foot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Hip Replacement Forum right now

Search the Hip Replacement Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
My Anterior Hip Replacement Experience (Nov '07) 1 hr Doug 1,807
failed hip replacement - metal poisoning (Mar '11) Tue BJ Cardiff Wales UK 162
Anterior hip replacement by Dr. Andrew Yun (Mar '10) Mon joy 30
Tho Apr 11 joy 3
DePuy Ceramax ceramic hip. Anyone have one? Apr 10 haymikey 8
strange symtoms after Birmingham hip researfacing (Aug '10) Apr 9 Matt 58
9 weeks post op direct anterior approach and is... (May '12) Apr 9 Paul 191
•••
•••