What is the cost of a total hip repla...

What is the cost of a total hip replacement

Posted in the Hip Replacement Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Flo O

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 25, 2007
Hi, can anyone tell me approximately how much a total hip replacement costs. I would like to know the cost before any medicare or other insurance coverage comes off the total. I would really appreciate it if someone will provide me with this information.
Judith

Cottage Grove, MN

#2 Jul 25, 2007
It will depend on your insurance. In my case, I was told, everything (surgeon, anesthesiologist, OR, etc.) is covered and my hospital copay is $100 a day. Since they predict I'll be in the hospital 3 days, the only other charges will be physical therapy ($20 a session) 3x a week for 6 weeks, and any devices (raised toilet, shower stool etc.) that I need.

Call your insurance and find out.
Michele

Shenandoah, IA

#3 Aug 2, 2007
My insurance company has been billed almost $90,000 so far. That includes pre-op tests, surgery and some PT in the first 3 weeks. Since I'm now in water therapy, not sure what the total cost will be.
Ashley

Temecula, CA

#4 Aug 7, 2007
My father recently underwent his second hip replacement,he's only 46 and he has his insurance covering this,insurance he obtained from workers comp,i guess it was his settlement but apparently now they've cut it off,now we're curious how much a dual hip replacement done at separate times would cost including the hospital stays and physical therapy,everything.
i'd much appreciate any answers,thank you.
Henny

Aspley, Australia

#5 Aug 12, 2007
I was approx. 2500 dollars (Australian) out of pocket. The insurance paid everything else: hospital, prothesis, rehabilitation, medication, pathology, physiotherapy, etc
borys

Poznan, Poland

#6 Jan 29, 2008
Henny wrote:
I was approx. 2500 dollars (Australian) out of pocket. The insurance paid everything else: hospital, prothesis, rehabilitation, medication, pathology, physiotherapy, etc
Why don't You come to Poland. The whole cost of operation with an uncemented prosthesis is about 6000 USD. Go to: www.ortopedia.edu.pl/english.html
Peter

Windsor, Canada

#7 Jan 30, 2008
Here in Canada with our government health insurance the cost was zero $$$$$. I paid upfront for things like physiotherapy but was re embursed for all costs.
Adam C

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Feb 4, 2008
In L.A. with the best surgeon -$11,000, anesthesiologist -$3,500, P.A.-$2,000 @ Ceders Sinai, 3 day stay -$30,000, 9 weeks P.T.@ 2 days a week -$2,250 comes to roughly $50,000. However if you have ins. it can be quite a different story. There are many surgeons who can preform this surgery with very good results and are fully covered. I chose a surgeon I could not afford but who is the absolute pinnacle of the procedure. He was gracious and cut me a break, the rest was covered by my health ins. Otherwise I would have been scrambling. I consider myself lucky but I also did a ton of research and wasn't afraid to ask my surgeon to go with what I could afford. After all, it is our lives we are talking about?!!
Colleen

Canada

#10 Mar 1, 2008
Peter wrote:
Here in Canada with our government health insurance the cost was zero $$$$$. I paid upfront for things like physiotherapy but was re embursed for all costs.
Except Canadian doctors are not insured to operate on American citizens. Go to www.northamericansurgery.com . They go to the CEO's of major orthopedic hospitals and neet a quotegotiate Medicare prices for uninsured Americans. Might as well get a quote and see if it is cheaper
Brian

Eden, NY

#11 Mar 5, 2008
mine was about $40,000 thru the Cleveland clinic in Ohio
Colleen

Canada

#12 Mar 22, 2008
Kendra

New Westminster, Canada

#13 Mar 24, 2008
Peter wrote:
Pet,
Try again, I want the new hip and that will cost me
3000$CD. and yes, I am canadian born. and yes I have health coverage.
Vancouver, Canada
Kendra

New Westminster, Canada

#14 Mar 24, 2008
oh and, I get ZERO $$$$ back for the cost of my hip..
Joel K

Acworth, GA

#15 Jun 8, 2008
In the US, there really is no answer to the question. Example - I am covered under Medicare. The Bill was for $1200 for some proceedure. Medicare allowed about $350. THe doctor has to accept that if he accepts Medicare patients. Medicare paid 80% and my other insurance paid the $70.
The key here - is that the List Price means nothing. If you are not insured at all, you definitely need to negotiate. The only people who usually pay the list price are the very wealthy and foreign vistors who have money
Kara

United States

#16 Jun 17, 2008
It cost a lot but I didn't have to pay a penny, my insurance covered it all except for a 2nd toilet riser I got and the walker, they would only pay for either crutches or a walker and I wanted both. But they paid for physical therapy, and the other stuff I needed to for around the house.
Inna

Ypsilanti, MI

#17 Sep 5, 2008
Peter wrote:
Hello Peter!
How long it takes in Canada to wait for the surgery? I am applying for Canadian permanent residence and need to know if I would be able with a Green card to get a hip joint replacement.
Thank you.
Ruby from NC

United States

#18 Sep 6, 2008
I had a hip total anterior hip replacement July 7th and was expecting my dr to say I could go back to work by now but he would rather I stay out of work another month to make sure everything is fine. I feel great, went to Busch Gardens last week and he knew this. Some of the rides were a bit challenging but I rode the newest roller coaster so I am confused by him wanting me to stay out of work another month. Any ideas why???
Tom

Santa Clara, CA

#19 Dec 22, 2008
It is going to cost you a bit when all is said and done. I read $26k here: http://www.surgerycosts.net/price.php... but I think it might be more than that with PT and all...
Fred

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#20 Dec 30, 2008
I have found that it is Moer affordable to do it abroad. I have looked into India and they are cheap but I was a bit dodgy on going to India as I had visited it before and the place can be a bit un hygienic. I ended up going to Buenos Aires. The company that took me in is Buenos Aires Partner. It ended up costing around 22,000 all inclusive with a 5 star apartment also. It came as a surprise as I had no coverage and the clinics I asked around Chicago were closer to 40000 thousands. Check it out. www.buenosairespartners.com
clarence berning

Rocky River, OH

#21 Jan 13, 2009
total cost hosp and doctor ffor full hipsurgery
I have medicare only from iowa

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SuperPath Total Hip Replacemt (Dec '12) May 27 david moran 144
Surgery in a few days...I'm angry and depressed. (May '14) May 26 Knighterrant 34
ten months post-op cementless total hip replace... (Nov '08) May 26 Lanyf-1 152
Perthes disease (Oct '11) May 22 JillHockey 8
Hip Replacement Scard to Have it!! (Feb '06) May 22 JillHockey 130
Hip replacement May 17 Verlon Brooks 1
Hip pain when I cough, sneeze or accidentally j... (Mar '12) May 14 Lisa c 71
More from around the web