yoga after hip replacement
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ELB

San Jose, CA

#1 Oct 6, 2006
I'm considering total hip replacement this year at age 56. Any experiences with yoga post-surgery? What can you do/no longer do, and how soon did you resume your practice?
Sarah UK

Wincanton, UK

#2 Oct 7, 2006
ELB wrote:
I'm considering total hip replacement this year at age 56. Any experiences with yoga post-surgery? What can you do/no longer do, and how soon did you resume your practice?
I didn't take up yoga until after my second hip replacement at 37. There are some positions I can't do based on the angle of the hip, but most of them are OK. I really enjoy my yoga and it did really help to strengthen my muscles post surgery. As yoga is about listening to your body it seems the perfect exercise!
Anne- South Africa

South Africa

#3 Jun 26, 2007
I have been teaching yoga for over 20 years and one of my most faithful students (over 10 years)has had 2 hips replaced on either side(4 ops). She only came to yoga after these operations. She and her surgeon say that yoga has helped her enormously, even causing tissue growth onto the prothesis's. She still struggles with swinging her leg back to the lunge position in Salute the Sun but does just about all other postures with ease. She is well into her 60's, and plays competition Bowls as well.
Sandy - US

Bayonne, NJ

#4 Sep 4, 2007
Hi Anne - is there a good resource for finding information for beginners who are post hip replacement? I am trying to find some resources for my mother who is 59 and had her hip replaced about 10 yrs ago. I am hoping she can gain some of the benefits of relaxation, centering, and strength without compromising the joints. She was also recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis (separate from her hip) and has pains in her lower back as well as bursitis in her shoulders.
Susan DeMaria

Pleasanton, CA

#5 Mar 11, 2008
Anne- South Africa wrote:
I have been teaching yoga for over 20 years and one of my most faithful students (over 10 years)has had 2 hips replaced on either side(4 ops). She only came to yoga after these operations. She and her surgeon say that yoga has helped her enormously, even causing tissue growth onto the prothesis's. She still struggles with swinging her leg back to the lunge position in Salute the Sun but does just about all other postures with ease. She is well into her 60's, and plays competition Bowls as well.
I was wondering if you could suggest any DVD's for someone who had a hip replacement. A friend of mine just had one and I teach Yoga and I would like to give you a video.

Thanks for your help.

Susan DeMaria
[email protected]
Susan DeMaria

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Mar 11, 2008
Sandy - US wrote:
Hi Anne - is there a good resource for finding information for beginners who are post hip replacement? I am trying to find some resources for my mother who is 59 and had her hip replaced about 10 yrs ago. I am hoping she can gain some of the benefits of relaxation, centering, and strength without compromising the joints. She was also recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis (separate from her hip) and has pains in her lower back as well as bursitis in her shoulders.
I was wondering if you could suggest and Yoga DVD's for someone with a hip replacement. A friend of mine just had the surgery (she is 60)and I teach Yoga and would like to give her a useful tool. and I feel Yoga is so great.
Thank you for your help.

Susan DeMaria
[email protected]
Ellen-Ohio

Ashtabula, OH

#7 Jul 16, 2008
Hello. i had a total hip replacement 5 weeks ago. I practiced yoga right up until they wheeled me into surgery. My recovery is going very well and I am starting some modified yoga poses with the help of my PT. I am concerned because I have very little flexibility in the hip and am unable to bend the leg in order to sit crossed leg. I know this is normal, but I'm wondering how long it will take to be able to sit crossed leg. What have others experienced?(It was a posterior replacement)Thank you.
Jennifer

San Juan Capistrano, CA

#8 Sep 2, 2008
Ellen-Ohio wrote:
Hello. i had a total hip replacement 5 weeks ago. I practiced yoga right up until they wheeled me into surgery. My recovery is going very well and I am starting some modified yoga poses with the help of my PT. I am concerned because I have very little flexibility in the hip and am unable to bend the leg in order to sit crossed leg. I know this is normal, but I'm wondering how long it will take to be able to sit crossed leg. What have others experienced?(It was a posterior replacement)Thank you.
I had bilateral hip replacement (posterior procedure) 5 years ago with only 13 weeks separating the surgery on the left and right hip at age 53. I had practiced yoga for more than 30 years at the time of my surgery. Don't worry at all about not being able to sit in lotus (cross legged). It will come. I can sit in full lotus with great ease. I think it took close to a year for not only my body to do that, but psychologically for me to feel comfortable.

There will be limits on many poses, but with your physician, you will be knowledgeable about which poses you should do or not.

Congratulations on your surgery. It will change your life in the most positive manner. It gave me my life back. I am a very active person. Spent 4 hours on my bicycle this Sunday past and spend up to 6 hours at times. I walk regularly, work out at the gym, garden, dance and lots of other things. There are things I no longer do. I don't run (too hard on the joints) nor do I ride horses or ski, but those are just because I don't want to fall and break these wonderful new hips.

Take good care. Patience is your friend. No rushing your recovery and follow the precaustions to the letter. It will serve you well forever.

Peace and Blessings,

Since: Sep 08

Reno, NV

#9 Sep 4, 2008
I just had my right hip replaced 5 weeks ago. I am still very excited to no longer have the horrible pain I had. I was curious about yoga too so it was nice to just find this website.

I am pleased to hear that I may someday be able to sit cross legged. I thought those days were over!

Peace!
Teena in Georgia

United States

#10 Sep 13, 2008
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
I had bilateral hip replacement (posterior procedure) 5 years ago with only 13 weeks separating the surgery on the left and right hip at age 53. I had practiced yoga for more than 30 years at the time of my surgery. Don't worry at all about not being able to sit in lotus (cross legged). It will come. I can sit in full lotus with great ease. I think it took close to a year for not only my body to do that, but psychologically for me to feel comfortable.
There will be limits on many poses, but with your physician, you will be knowledgeable about which poses you should do or not.
Congratulations on your surgery. It will change your life in the most positive manner. It gave me my life back. I am a very active person. Spent 4 hours on my bicycle this Sunday past and spend up to 6 hours at times. I walk regularly, work out at the gym, garden, dance and lots of other things. There are things I no longer do. I don't run (too hard on the joints) nor do I ride horses or ski, but those are just because I don't want to fall and break these wonderful new hips.
Take good care. Patience is your friend. No rushing your recovery and follow the precaustions to the letter. It will serve you well forever.
Peace and Blessings,

I had a right hip replacement almost one year ago. I was very active before I had it. The recovery was good for me and I feel like my PT was helpful too. I have gotten back into walking and I think that has been the best thing for me. Howevwr, lately i have not been consistent with it. I also went back to teaching and have found that it has been very tiring for me. Do you have nay tips for building up my energy level?
Also i am experiencing some pain in my thigh, i think it is assoocited with i am on my feet really all day and that I am using more muscles and maybe my muscles are still getting accustomed to the :"new me". Any thoughts on that???
Anne-Richmond VA

Richmond, VA

#11 Oct 10, 2008
I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago this month at the age of 34. Although I practiced yoga a little before my surgery, I started again in January of this year. It is completely changing my life. I am taller... really 1/2inch... which also may be due to the new hip allowing me to stand up straight, I am more confident and I can sit cross legged (almost lotus) for the first time since I was 9.

All of these posts are so helpful to me. I have so much fear that I will pop my hip out of the joint... which prevents me from fully reaching the depth of the positions. I will try harder now to go only to resistance and stop.

Peace, Ohm, Namaste.
Valjean

Berkeley, CA

#12 Nov 8, 2008
Dear Jennifer, Our stories sound the same! Actually it seems they are, I too am 53, very active, both done within 16 weeks of eachother, The most recent was one month ago. It truly is a miracle to me, and I feel as if I have a whole new life. I am interested esp. in how soon yoga can become a greater part of my life as it once was. I am in P.T. 2-3 times per week of course daily excercises. Could you please share with me your regimen at 5 weeks post op. and then beyond? My email is [email protected] many Blessings.
Jennifer wrote:
<quoted text>
Peace and Blessings,
Pam Smith

Bethlehem, PA

#13 Feb 12, 2009
I just had my left hip replaced 7 weeks ago and wish I had found this site before the surgery. I teach yoga and was very worried about not being able to go back to teaching. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong about that! I not only have been teaching for a week already but have resumed my Thai Yoga Massage practice!
I am so thrilled to be out of that horrible pain! I limped so badly before surgery and could barely walk from here to there. I used to hike 15 miles and more before the arthritis in my hip made it almost impossible to walk even a block!
Now, after only less than two months postoperatively, I am walking a half mile or more each week and teaching 4 yoga classes a week. I am able to add new postures almost daily. I was doing headstands after only 5 weeks, and that's only because I was scared to dislocate! I could have done them after 4 weeks. My surgeon said it would be 3 months! My students are amazed at what I can do already and the great thing is it's all PAIN-FREE!
I got the large ball and cup so I have alot of stability and flexibility and am balancing very well on the operated leg; almost as well as on the good side!
So, yoga is definately very do-able after hip replacement. I'm glad I did the surgery. I got my life back!
Sarah NYC

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Mar 9, 2009
I'm so glad to find this site. I am considering THR and am terrified it will mean no more yoga along with no more running etc. I've been very active in all things until this pain started about three years ago. I'm really encourged by what I've read here.

Does anyone know a yoga teacher in NYC who knows about working with people who've had THR?

Any thoughts on THR vs re-surfacing? I'm also worried about putting an artificial plastic/metal thing in my body. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks so much.
Barbara

San Jose, CA

#15 Apr 24, 2009
Hello,
I recently had partial hip replacement surgery following an accident. I am now into the fourth month of recovery and still have muscle tightness and balance problems. I also am now dealing with the possibility of osteoporosis so want to avoid that if possible. Am looking for a good, safe yoga practice that will strengthen the muscles, post-op, and give me the kind of work-out necessary for prevention of osteoporosis. A friend suggested Svaroopa yoga. Any advise?
Louise1 Wakefield MA

Brookline, MA

#16 Jun 7, 2009
I just had a total hip replacement on left on May 19th. I live in the Boston area. Today is June 7, almost 3 weeks later. I HOPE TO GO BACK TO MY YOGA PRACTICE, which is Astanga based. I am a very active 56 year old....
I had the mimimally invasive technique, which is tissue preserving. Recovery s/b 1/2 time. No muscles cut, just pushed aside (only bursa). Brusing is gone 100%, and all I have left is a 2 1/2" or 3" incision with the steri strips still on. The 2 peep holes for instruments are gone. Came home w/2 cruches, 1 week later went to 1, and now ready to start with the cane. I hope this is quick. I just want to go back to practice. I am on the intermediate/advanced level...I am now ready for outpatient PT with a good twist on alternative PT. If anyone knows anyone in the Boston area, please let me know.
THANKS!
Deborah-Boston

Boston, MA

#17 Jun 23, 2009
I am so thrilled to find this site. I am a very active 51 yr. old and had THR last Nov. I still have a limp, balance problems and lots of back pain partly due to a leg length discrepancy. I'm looking for yoga teachers sensitive to people with THR in the Boston area and/ or DVD's that might be useful. I used to practice Iyengar and Power yoga, and run 1/2 marathons but it's been over 2 years due to all the hip pain. If anyone has tips, please contact me.
Thanks so much!
suziecabo

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#18 Jul 8, 2009
hi, i had a thp on 1/17/07, i still have pain in my groin area, i assume this is due to the fact that i had broke my hip and ripped my groin. i was hoping if someone could help me, i have gained 30 lbs, this last year. i am wondering if you could recommend a form of exercise to help me lose weight, i am 60 and do need guidence, sincerely, suziecabo
morty

Belleville, Canada

#19 Jul 10, 2009
suziecabo wrote:
hi, i had a thp on 1/17/07, i still have pain in my groin area, i assume this is due to the fact that i had broke my hip and ripped my groin. i was hoping if someone could help me, i have gained 30 lbs, this last year. i am wondering if you could recommend a form of exercise to help me lose weight, i am 60 and do need guidence, sincerely, suziecabo
hola suzie,

here's my suggestion:

1. get hold of a Plena Libre CD (PL is a musical group from puerto rico; very hot)

2. get hold of two 3 or 5 pound dumbbells.

3. play the CD and dance like crazy around your livingroom.

This method worked for me, so who knows?

buena suerta.

morty
suziecabo

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#20 Jul 10, 2009
hola morty, thanks for you reply, i will give this a try and i bet you are right, thanks so much, sincerely, suziecabo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip Replacement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illiopsoas pain after thr (Mar '08) 19 hr nrubin 15
9 weeks post op direct anterior approach and is... (May '12) Tue Sand 317
Thigh pain is bad, shooting pain also (Apr '06) Tue Misher80 95
How is life without your piriformis muscle afte... (Aug '14) Mon Mireille 21
Hip Resurfacing Long term pain and muscle shrin... (Nov '11) Dec 2 Jen 18
Wright Medical hip products Dec 1 D Fleming 1
News Active older population, better technology may ... Nov 30 nrubin 1
More from around the web