Ohio VA hospital: 9 tested positive for hepatitis | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Officials at a Veterans Administration hospital in southwest Ohio say nine patients have tested positive for hepatitis in screenings conducted because of a dentist who failed to change gloves and sterilize instruments properly between patients.
Comments
1 - 20 of 69 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Navy Doc

Chillicothe, OH

#1 Mar 2, 2011
The dentist probably wasn't a vet or even an american and could have probably cared less for our True American Hero.
L Berry

Alliance, OH

#2 Mar 2, 2011
As one of those treated by the Denist, he was an American, a big fat guy. As a patient I wasn't able to determine his sanitary practices.
Worst part is it went on for 18 years without any management intervention. He was also allowed to retire with full benefits. At a minimum he should be required to pay for all the medical tests and treatment for teh nine so far found positive for Hepititus.
bill

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Mar 2, 2011
Read elsewhere that the Dentist was also in his early 80s. Not too surprising considering the shoddy care at the Columbus facility.
lwd

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 2, 2011
Why hasn't he been charged with assault? Intentional or not, he has caused great harm to those he infected. No matter hoe old he was, he violated standards of care. And, didn't anyone else notice what was going on?
VETS KNOW

Lockbourne, OH

#5 Mar 2, 2011
VETS KNOW that the medical care at VET Facilities are THIRD RATE -- at best
concerned vet

Findlay, OH

#6 Mar 2, 2011
Another example of poor care and even worse management. Dayton no doubt had JCAHO certification but then all they do is look at paper work. Veterans deserve better, they deserve to be able to pick their provider and have the government foot the bill. Medcaid patients have a choice why not veterans since unlike medicaid they paid for their care.
L Berry

Alliance, OH

#7 Mar 2, 2011
Bill,
I think you should read more about this issue. It waasn't in a Columbus "shoddy" facility. It was at the Dayton VA Facility.
As both a disabled veteran and a retired AF member I am authorized treatment at both Military Medical Centers and VA Medical Centers. I have found both the Dayton VA Center and the Wright-Patterson AFB Hospital to be First Class Facilities.
Reader

Mount Gilead, OH

#8 Mar 2, 2011
lwd wrote:
Why hasn't he been charged with assault? Intentional or not, he has caused great harm to those he infected. No matter **** old he was, he violated standards of care. And, didn't anyone else notice what was going on?
I don't know what internal quality review procedures are in place at the VA, especially with this CRIME having been committed against our own soldiers. Do you think Sherrod Brown would be able to bring this to light, to find out how this could have gone on for so long?
vets deserve better

Findlay, OH

#9 Mar 2, 2011
The Chief of the Dental Service, Chief of Staff and the facility Direcer should all be replaced. Where was the mandated quality control? Even under obamacare verrterans will still be treated as second class citizens. Wonder if the dentist was even licensed in Ohio. The VA should not be permitted to hire foreign educated medical personnel. Most speak but do not understand english and their dedication to heath care is questionable. Just want to send money home.
vets deserve better

Findlay, OH

#10 Mar 2, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what internal quality review procedures are in place at the VA, especially with this CRIME having been committed against our own soldiers. Do you think Sherrod Brown would be able to bring this to light, to find out how this could have gone on for so long?
Sherrod Brown is a democrat just like the president taht appointed the secretary of veterans affairs. it all starts at the top. better to ask the republican senator from Ohio
vnvet

Chillicothe, OH

#11 Mar 2, 2011
I was disappointed in the care I received from some dept. at Dayton.People were rude and acted like I owed them some thing.I was told There was nothing they could do for my back.I saw a reg. dr and had a simple out patient surgery and fixed my problem.It would help if you could under stand them.
Reader

Mount Gilead, OH

#12 Mar 2, 2011
vets deserve better wrote:
<quoted text>
Sherrod Brown is a democrat just like the president taht appointed the secretary of veterans affairs. it all starts at the top. better to ask the republican senator from Ohio
What has Sen. Brown done for veterans that you didn't like? What specifically are you alluding to about our president....in what way has he been worse than his predecessor who let Walter Reed get to deplorable conditions?
Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#13 Mar 2, 2011
bill wrote:
Read elsewhere that the Dentist was also in his early 80s. Not too surprising considering the shoddy care at the Columbus facility.
Didn't happen in Columbus. There is no VA hospital in Columbus, Ohio. I wish there was.
jimmyjohn

Westerville, OH

#14 Mar 2, 2011
Typical government run medical services and program.
vets deserve better

Findlay, OH

#15 Mar 2, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
What has Sen. Brown done for veterans that you didn't like? What specifically are you alluding to about our president....in what way has he been worse than his predecessor who let Walter Reed get to deplorable conditions?
must have hit a nerve. wht has brown done? better question is what has obama done for vets or for that matter anyone other than his cronies. that is off the subject. brown has done nothing other than voting as instructed by reid/obama. Better chance of getting the truth as to what is happening from a member of the party not in power. Better yet he representaives from central Ohio are mostly republicans thus they make an even better choice. When was the last time disabled vets got an increase in their benefits? Over two years ago. When was the last time welfare and food stamps got an increase? Can a vet choose when where by whom he is treated - NO. Welafre and medicaid can.
Sherrie

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Mar 2, 2011
My father was treated for lung cancer and then sent to Dayton. It was a horrible facility. It was dirty, no one including the doctors spoke English and they were very rude. They would do tests and leave blood soaked towels lay on the bed, dirty floors, overflowing trash cans.....it was an awful place. I would not trust the VA to treat my cats.
jimmyjohn

Westerville, OH

#17 Mar 2, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
For beginners, Brown hasn't done **** for veterans, except run his mouth, and in regards to your president, I haven't the time and space to tell you about him, but in closing, to bring you up to date on current events of our leader. He is taking needed air power and marines from an area that our troops in Iraq and Afganistan could use, and sending them to protect arabs in Libya. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Black lion

United States

#18 Mar 2, 2011
Don't know about the Dayton VA but my personal experience at the Columbus VA has been excellent. The largest group of veterans using the VA in Columbus are older men. The staff is there to hep them. It makes a difference if the veteran is polite, honest, patient and leaves their adversarial attitude at home. One typically gets what they give.
vets deserve better

Findlay, OH

#19 Mar 2, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't happen in Columbus. There is no VA hospital in Columbus, Ohio. I wish there was.
The VA is not needed. Give the veteran a card like medicareorr medicaid and let them go where and to whom they please to be treated and have the bills paid by the VA adminsitartive branch. Do away with the Hospital side of the VA. This would make those that gave so much equal and not 2nd class citizens
Black lion

United States

#20 Mar 2, 2011
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullfeathers, Bob, you don't know what you are talking about. The new building is about two years old with the latest equipment including a surgical center located just south of Columbus airport.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hepatitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) Thu Clover_SpringNewt 9,315
Students must be in compliance with state immun... Aug 18 KA CHING 4 PHARMA 2
Ebola Scare In Columbus & New York City Averted Aug 6 Oliver Canterberry 1
FDA grapples with oversight of fecal transplants Jul 31 COST OF ISRAEL 3
Scientific review affirms no link between vacci... Jul '14 DUH IM Sangelia 14
Gilead Sciences Under Investigation for Over-Ch... Jul '14 Chris 1
Japan Approves HCV daclatasvir and asunaprevir ... Jul '14 HCV New Drugs 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Hepatitis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••