External hemorrhoid/ heal time
Will

Salem, NH

#218 Feb 15, 2012
do we just give it time ? mines purple been there about 4 weeks. but was prescribed prctosol.. i hope it gets better..
Pete wrote:
Here's my second report after 10 days. No pain at all for about a week, bled quite a lot on one visit 3 days ago but not so much now, twinges when bleeds, blood seems to come from inside, doesn't seem any smaller but the skin seems rougher and harder and it seems to extend inside, one side has a black patch. Sometimes in bed I seem to go into the wrong position and get a very strange feeling like it's sucking in, although that seems to be fading. Seems to be improving and hardly know it's there. Have had hemorrhoids or maybe a fissure for 40 years on and off but this is / was the worst. Going to give it a few weeks to disappear and if not go to the doctors.
Will

Salem, NH

#219 Feb 15, 2012
hey... mine doesnt hurt but i hate having it there...:( you would know if its bleeding if theres blood in your stool or on toilet paper or blood in the toilet.. mines purple..
Kitty11 wrote:
I have been having discomfort in that area for a few days now. I got my monthly 'friend' a few days ago as well. I took a shower today and realized I have a pea size hemmy. It hurts a lot!! It's hard to walk and sit. Have not had any problems with BM at all. That's all been normal. Using preparation h cream but I'm still in pain. Being that I have 1 year old twins, this is affecting my every day life. Just not sure when I should be concerned enough to call the Dr. I'm 37 and never had this before. Anyone...help!!! And if it's been bleeding I wouldn't know...:(
Kitty11

Wheaton, IL

#220 Feb 16, 2012
Will wrote:
hey... mine doesnt hurt but i hate having it there...:( you would know if its bleeding if theres blood in your stool or on toilet paper or blood in the toilet.. mines purple..<quoted text>
It's still a normal color for now. So far I don't think it's bled at all. Just hurts like hell! It seems to hurt after I put the cream on it. I don't know what else to use besides prep h. Any suggestions?
In pain

Belfield, ND

#221 Feb 16, 2012
So within the last few days, I've developed a pain around my anus.. its almost unbearable. And I looked and I'm pretty sure its an external hemorrhoid. I've never had one before. It sounds like they can vary by size and pain levels. But I have read tons of descriptions and I'm pretty sure its what i have.
However, I'm 18 years old. Im not sure I know of many young people that get them.. anyways though, I sit through six hours of class on a non-cushion chair, and its so hard.. I've got some 1% hydrocortisone that I just tried using. And I'm gonna try some of the other sugfestions given. You guys are helpful.
I would say its the size of a marble. Around that. From what I saw it looks similar to my skin tone. I'm on day 3. Please please PLEASE help me out. I need some advice on what to do!!
Kitty11

Wheaton, IL

#222 Feb 17, 2012
In pain wrote:
So within the last few days, I've developed a pain around my anus.. its almost unbearable. And I looked and I'm pretty sure its an external hemorrhoid. I've never had one before. It sounds like they can vary by size and pain levels. But I have read tons of descriptions and I'm pretty sure its what i have.
However, I'm 18 years old. Im not sure I know of many young people that get them.. anyways though, I sit through six hours of class on a non-cushion chair, and its so hard.. I've got some 1% hydrocortisone that I just tried using. And I'm gonna try some of the other sugfestions given. You guys are helpful.
I would say its the size of a marble. Around that. From what I saw it looks similar to my skin tone. I'm on day 3. Please please PLEASE help me out. I need some advice on what to do!!
I would try preperation h and the medicated wipes. That's what I have been using and it has helped. Mine started off as a little bigger than pea size and hurt like hell!!! But with the cream and the wipes, 4 days later the pain is a lot better and it has shrunk in size too. It will take awhile for it to feel better, but it will. Mine was also the color of my skin. Hope this helps!
In pain

Belfield, ND

#223 Feb 17, 2012
@Kitty11

Thanks so much. I appreciate any advice! This morning it was a lot better until I went to the bathroom and it started to bleed. Now its painful again. I'm gonna try a sitz bath and use some prep h and hope it will start to go away! Thank you!
Ima Hem

South Pasadena, CA

#224 Feb 19, 2012
I got one too! in my mind it the size of a grapefruit! But it's actually about the size if a small grape! Using Prep H. Not really going down in size but it's only been three days.. I too think I got it from leg lifts....I'm scared to go to the doctor and deal w/ his scalpel!!
Eric

Whitby, Canada

#225 Feb 20, 2012
Then why does my doctor give me Proctosedyl and tell me that it'll heal in a week or two if that's the case. I have a thrombosed hemorrhoid.
HemiHater

Salt Lake City, UT

#226 Feb 20, 2012
I have several external hemorrhoids and they are majorly painful. I developed an allergy to hydrocortisone so that treatment is out for me (what most doctors prescribe). My doctor recommended something that has made a huge difference called Calmoseptine. It's got menthol in it so it sort of numbs. It's super thick cream (think diaper cream). For those in severe pain, it's made it at least somewhat tolerable to sit today. Taking ibuprofen has also helped. I do think I'm going to have to get them drained, though.
Effing a

Keaau, HI

#227 Feb 21, 2012
Very glad I found this forum. Everything else I found on the matter was not helpful and just told me to eat healthy and drink water. Hopefully my experience can help someone.

Anyways 25yo male here. I think ive had 3 in my life and all came from pushing too hard on the toilet. First time was small about a pea shape. I could push it back in and it went away in about 1-2 weeks. Second one was larger and same situation, but took about 2-3 weeks. This one worried me as it took twice as long to heal, but glad it eventually did.

This time is the worst and largest, almost the size of a grape; terrifying. Working is the worst as I have to sit for 8 hours a day. I can't push this one back in like the rest so I'm worried I'll have to see a doctor which is the last thing I want to do.
Im also so afraid this thing is going to explode or something as it feels like there is tremendous pressure down there.

Hopefully it'll feel better by this weekend as I'm supposed to go to Vegas to rage!! Fml. Worst part is I have a new gf and can't tell her why I'm being a baby and not wanting to move and staying in bed all day. Ugh..

Good luck to all of you!
Effing a

Keaau, HI

#228 Feb 21, 2012
Also, if you get one of those donut shaped pillows to it on it helps so much. Or just put two pillows next to each other wth a gap in the middle for your crack. Lol
Effing a

Keaau, HI

#229 Feb 21, 2012
Ok here's another tip
If you have one that can shink and be pushed in... When you're resting place a finger on it and try to relax yourself you should be able to slowly shrink it down as much as possible. You might be able to "push it in" and it will feel almost completely now. Now just try not to strain and pop it back out. Good to do before sleep. It seemed to sleep up healing.

But I do find that keeping a finger on it helps me figure out how to keep it relaxed and the presssure off
*i use a tissue between the finger and.. Hem

But goddamn this new one is so much larger I can't get it to shrink much-day 2
Chlo3

Vancouver, Canada

#230 Feb 22, 2012
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help....
I'm a healthy pregnant 28 year old female and I current have an excruciatingly painful external hemherroid. I'm not a big girl but this thing is the size of a large grape. Its so painful that walking, sitting, standing or lying down is difficult. If I sit without being careful and slow, the pain would be so intense I would get dizzy and my heart skips a beat. Once, I got up and must have squished my hemherroid the wrong way and I almost fainted. Is something this painful not life-threatening? I don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating but I think this is the most painful thing I've ever endured. It's been like this for 4 days and hasnt subsided. It started out as a small hemherroid last week and it just ballooned.
I went to the doctor and she prescribed Proctofoam. I've used Preparation H and Proctofoam. These didn't provide any relief whatsoever. Not even a little. I went to another doctor and he said to try Anusol. That didn't work either.
For those who had theirs drained, how long did you wait (from the time you got the hemherroid) to the time you actually got it drained? It's been 7 days total for me and I wanted to try all my options before I go for any surgery.
I hate grapes

Houston, TX

#231 Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for all the useful info. I am on day 3 of a grape sized hemi and am glad to see there is hope. I never knew these damn things could be so painful
shab

Mission Viejo, CA

#232 Mar 9, 2012
Hello i have seem to have a hemmi i think i got it after working out my legs at the gym i would like to know to reduce the feeling that it causes i know that i have to wash it and i do but it hurts to touch
I hate grapes

Conroe, TX

#233 Mar 10, 2012
Hey Shab: I finally broke down and went to the doctor. I thought it was going to be the most embarassing moment of my life but it really was not very bad. She did say that it was thrombosed which means it contained a blood clot and all the pain was from the pressure. She prescribed a steroid suppository along with some lidacaine for the pain. It has been two days since i started the treatment along with baths and ice. The pain has almost completely subsided but the lump is still there. She said the lump may last a couple weeks. If you are still feeling intense pain just go to the doctor. The relief from the pain far outweighs the embarassment of having someone messing with you down there. I also named mine after my exwife since she was such a pain in the butt. Hope this helps :)
Arthur

Lahaina, HI

#234 Mar 12, 2012
Hey I thought I'd throw in my two bits to help explain the way things went down and calm folks that went through a similar situation. I got my frist hemorrhoid about 9 days ago. It is an external hemmi and grew to about the size of a marble at its worst. My job requires me to sit in front of the computer for around 12 hours every day. So reading that I should not sit for extended periods was like a cruel joke. The other bad part was that I don't have health insurance, although I'm strongly considering getting some now... so visiting a doctor was a little out of my budget.

So here's what I did. The main problem for me was sleeping. It wasn't itchy, it wasn't burning, it was just plain painful. The first relief I found was taking a hot shower before bed. I don't have a bath so it was the only solution I had. Just put the shower head so its not power washing paint off you, and let it run for a while to relax the area. This would create about 20 minutes of relief: enough to get to sleep for 3-4 hours before I woke up in pain again. The second thing I discovered is that tylenol actually worked. On the third day I took tylenol and it did its job for once. Unfortunately, I discovered this a little late in the process.

On day four I was in the shower washing when the hemmi finally burst. That sucker was bleeding like nobodies business. The only thing I coud do was put some tissue or toilet paper in my butt to stop it from bleeding into my underwear and clothes and whatever I was sitting on. I changed this bandage every couple hours. Yes, you heard me it was bleeding for a long time. For me it stopped after about 3 days of constant bleeding. Yes, going to the bathroom was still painful in this situation, and I was wiping blood all the while.

That said somewhere in those days of bleeding it stopped actually feeling like there was something stuck up my butt. It is still there, but I don't actually feel it anymore when I sit or stand. Now at day 9 the hemmi is now much smaller, and I expect it should go away with time. The only lingering symptoms are irritation after a bowel movement. I suspect that's more do to the wiping than anything else. However, the annoying part is that it gets itchy when it is irritated. I have been trying preparation H, but frankly find the process of applying it rather difficult, and it has had little to no affect on the symptoms so I'm not really using it.

I did switch my diet up during this process, and was eating nothing but foods with high fiber. I can only imagine how much more painful it would have been with harder stool.

So there it is 9 days later I'm back to pretty much life as normal other than the hemmi stil physically present, but diminishing. I hope this brings comfort to folks who find themselves here for the first time. Don't worry its not the end of the world, and 75% of all people experience this at least once in their life. No one talks about it, but it happens to most everyone.
Pete

Cleveleys, UK

#235 Mar 17, 2012
Here's my 3rd and wrapping up report. For a few days mine was very sore with a black patch and kept bleeding when I paid a visit. I was worried but reading stuff decided to see how it went particularly as I was going on holiday.

Then after 4 days it wasn't sore and was like a small sausage an inch long with a black patch on one side.

After a couple of weeks it was like a piece of new skin started growing over the black patch, it still bled and inside I could feel veins.

In the 4th week it seemed much smaller and tougher.

In the 5th week it disappeared. Although inside I can still feel veins that run up and down.

I used Preparation H and then changed to Anusol and stool softener. Not convinced the softener had much effect. Prep H seemed more of a lubricant while the Anusol felt like it gave a protective and healing effect but not a lubricative one.
Britty_bear

Winnipeg, Canada

#236 Mar 17, 2012
Hey guys, I'm 25 weeks pregnant & two days ago this bump popped up around the side of my asshole, & it hurt so bad to sit & walk so my boyfriend took me in to the hospital & they had to insert a needle & drain it. & since then it seems as if the bumps haven't downsized or collapsed at all, is this normal? How long will it take for them to shrink & go away?
LIZ

Marysville, OH

#237 Mar 18, 2012
Well I wanted to share my experience and hopefully be of a little encouragement. I got an external hem almost two weeks ago. It was from having a hard bowl movement. When I went to work the next day I felt like but butt had been ripped (that was the feeling) I noticed when I got home from work a SORE lump was sticking out of my anus. I was in instant panic! I called my mom since from having me had experienced hemorrhoids, and what worked for her. She suggested drinking LOTS of water, and a few times a day using preperation h cream, and also using hemorrhoid wipes after bowl movement instead of toilet paper as this can irritate. Also to take a hot bath for 15 minutes a day. I've been doing all of that along with eating as much as I can with fiber to keep my stool soft. I eat a fiber one bar for breakfeast or mini wheats, lunch doesn't really matter what I eat as long as its accompanied with lots of water, then whatever I eat for dinner I make sure there are veggies like broccoli or carrots, or black beans, something with good fiber. As of today I don't feel the lump anymore, but I'm always gonna work fiber and water into my eating to prevent a hard stool that could reirritate the hem. Like I said it's been almost 2 weeks for me dealing with the lump. Since I feel it's gone back inside i'm making my diet a little different to prevent it from coming back! Although I will say I am cautious when having bowl movement and carefully try not to push much. I'm still applying preperation h once in a while just to be on the safe side. I like most of you thought it would never go away and was self concious and depressed, but give it time, it may take 4-6 weeks for some. I heared surgery is worse pain then the hemmy itself, so I'd wait it out first. Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hemorrhoids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best Seat Cushions for long term use? Sun davchun 1
Internal Hemorrhoids please help (Mar '11) Sat fra 36
Do it your self ligation (Jun '07) Sep 20 Jencisn 1,025
Orange Juice for Hemorrhoids - GOOD or BAD? (May '08) Sep 16 Sway 62
1 day post Hemorrhoidectomy (Aug '12) Sep 10 LBOMB 8
HET system to treat hemerroids (Nov '13) Sep 10 Jimmy 10
Draining a thrombosed hemorrhoid (Aug '07) Sep 10 George 829
More from around the web