LoLo1994

AOL

#142 Sep 6, 2009
Hi, Sharon,
I've been taking two 500 mgs Mastic gum Capsules in the morning on an empty stomach, then I wait 1 hour before eating breakfast. I'm 3 weeks into the treatment and am feeling much better already. Do you think I should be taking 2 capsules at night, also?
You also mentioned 60 days for the treatment. In my previous bout with H-Pylori 3 years ago, after the first month, I took one 500 mg. capsule for another thirty days. Do you think that's enough?
LoLo
Lutz, FL
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#143 Sep 6, 2009
LoLo, I took 2000 mg a day and timed it 12 hours apart, so every 12 hours I had 1000 mg of Mastic Gum in my system which I think saturated the bug. When I bought the Mastic Gum that was the dosage I was told to take and actually was recommended to take it 90 days, but I decided on the 60 day treatment which worked for me. But, I did take the full 2000 mg a day for the full 30 days, I didn't cut back after the first 30.

This is a very serious bug and is very hard to kill, so zapping it seems to be the best approach. The Greek's use the Mastica Gum in all of their foods so I didn't figure it could be too bad for you. I also took it on an empty stomach. I got up around 5:00 am, took 2000 mg with a glass of water, then I ate around 7:00 am, I took my second dose in the afternood between lunch and dinner with a glass of water. I also ate a lot of broccoli during that time too as I read that the bug doesn't like broccoli. Bad thing is a lot of people don't like it either, but I personally love broccoli.

I made sure that I ate good wholesome foods during the treatment, no packaged stuff, just healthy stuff. I still do that and still eat a lot of green veggies such as broccoli.

Where is Lutz Florida? I live in the Florida Panhandle. Sharon
Lesley

Coleraine, UK

#144 Sep 7, 2009
Hi
Very interesting posts. I am taking mastic gum - two 750mg capsules at bedtime from Healthwiz.com , they also contain a probiotic. I have to be on this dose for 4 weeks i think, then i can reduce it to one a day.
It is very interesting what you said about eating food and mastic, as last night i took my capsules directly following my evening meal (I usually take them at bedtime but I feel they get 'stuck') within 20 mins i felt ghastly - bloated, gassy and nauseus - i blamed it on the trimetheprim tablet(antibiotic)that i am taking for a reoccuring water infection (I think related as my immune system MUST be compromised!).
SO, as i tend to eat rather late, from now on i will set my alarm for about 5am and take it then -thats plenty of time before breakfast.
I, like the other posts, am trying a gluten free diet (2nd day today). I have made some bread this morning but it tastes odd - like a cross between brioche and donuts!! I don't think it will make very good sandwiches!
I try to eat as organicly as possible and feel this must help, and today i have started juicing again - apple, orange, carrot, spinach and beetroot was todays treat, with a couple of spoonfuls of benefibre for good measure!
On waking i have followed Milia advice and have a glass of warm water with half a lemon squeezed and a pinch of salt. I then have a measure of Forever Freedom Aloe Gel (not juice, gel is far far better). I take +20 Manuka honey, live yoghurt (goats yoghurt and goats milk as i'm trying to avoid lactose for a few weeks).
I'm hoping and praying this will kill off the HP but if it doesn't, i will definately be healthier!
Thanks everyone for all the info, it is the only way we are going to beat this.
Lesley
Lesley

Coleraine, UK

#145 Sep 7, 2009
Just noticed my post says Lesley - Alfreton? I am actually from West Yorkshire! Don't know whats going on there.
Email me if you wish lesleycassell@hotmail.co.uk
LoLo1994

AOL

#146 Sep 7, 2009
Hi Sharon, and Welcome, Lesley,
Lutz, Florida is in North Hillsborough County. I consider it North Tampa since we're only about 4 miles from the Tampa city line. Lutz is also in South Pasco County. A bit confusing. Anyway, it's a great place to live. We still have areas in Lutz that feel rural-ish even though we're very close to everything. Lots of trees and greenery. And blissfully quiet.
Sharon, I think I'm going to up my Mastic Gum intake for the rest of the month to 2,000 mgs a day, following with 1,000 mgs per day for another month. Hopefully, it'll kill the bug once and for all. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck everyone.
LoLo from Lutz, FL
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#147 Sep 7, 2009
I was in Tampa a few years ago for a conference...big place. I live in small rural area just outside of Pensacola Fl. My hometown is Gainesville Fl...home of the Fighting Gators.

Lolo, I wish you the best with your Mastic treatment. I know it sure worked on me. My doctor was very skeptical until the results came back.
Doubt if he will recommend it to anyone though, he will still prescribe the antibiotics. I just could not handle those.

Sharon
Pammy

AOL

#148 Sep 8, 2009
Fred wrote:
I am very skeptical about trying Mastic Gum. I've read reports that say it works, and others say it has no effect on H-Pylori. I have many intestinal issues ( Including H-pylori )I also have high blood presure and atrial fibrialtion. I guess I am nervous about side effects and/or negative interactions with my beta blocker. I was placed on Biaxin and Metronidazole, but I couldn't take it for more than 2 days it made me feel horrible. Im now trying virgin pine nut oil, and probiotics. I want to try Mastic gum, but am fearful. Anyone have any positive/negative feedback on this supplement?
Metronidazole is an awful antibiotic. I had to use it back in 2001 when I had the Helidac Therapy for H Pylori (17 antibiotic/PPI pills a day for 14 days) and developed acid reflux as a result of the Metronidazole (Flagyl). A nasty antibiotic. Try to avoid if you can!
Pammy

AOL

#149 Sep 8, 2009
Amanda wrote:
I just had an upper scope that revealed an ulcer as well as an overgrowth of Candida in the stomach. I figure it is because I have been on Prilosec off and on for a year along with a heavy dose of antibiotics for a sinus infection a few months ago.
You have all convinced me to try the Mastic Gum along with Probiotics (those should help kill the Candida, right?)
Just wondering if anyone else had an ulcer with Candida and if they had any successful cures?
Must be painful! Your Candida is most likely a side effect of the antibiotics you recently took. I just got off a strong antibiotic for Pneumonia and developed Candida in my mouth (Oral Thrush).

My Doc gave me Clotrimazole lozenges to use (5/day for 14 days) and that did the trick. Acidophillus capsules work to restore good bacteria and I took those for 14 days more after I finished the antibiotics.

Not sure if they will rid you of the Candida or how long you will have to take probiotics alone(same thing in yogurt, live cultures do work well) but you can ask your Doc for the Clotrimazole - it's side effects are minimal and better than Diflucan, which I heard is hard on your liver.

Also, I heard you can you can use Nystatin but not sure about the side effects. All need Rx scripts from your Doc.

Make sure to take the Acidophillus along with any antibiotic you are prescribed to help with side effects!
JoJo

Covent Garden, UK

#150 Sep 15, 2009
Hello Everyone,
I was diagnosed with the HP about 2 years ago, together with this I also had Candida and apparently my stomach was in a pre-ulcer stage. I was first treated for the Candida, after which I got the triple antibiotics for HP. It did not kill the bacteria but I never went for the second treatment.
Few weeks ago I started feeling pain in my stomach and abdominal area, same I had before diagnosed with HP. Last Sunday had a nice juicy steak for dinner and then could not sleep during night because of the stomach pain (also back pain so suspect duodenal ulcer). I lost weight recently and now suspect it may not necessarily be my wonder diet but potentially the illness... I also feel very full after meals which is not a healthy ‘full’ but a painful and uncomfortable one.
I found the info about mastic gum on internet and bought it today and am after 1g morning, 1g evening treatment, so far so good, no discomfort just funny noises going on in my belly and a strange headache in the morning (some kind of pressure around my head)...
I read all of the posts here and am so encouraged to continue my self-prescribed treatment. I also bought Manuka Honey and will eat lots of broccoli and broccoli sprouts. May try adding more oregano when cooking and maybe try the "magic" tea. For the time being I am very interested and excited to see whether I will observe any results.
Sharon - thank you for so good tips - I will also buy the pro-biotic and will take it in the morning with the MG.
This may be pure coincidence but I am actually going to Greece end of September on a sailing holiday and will try to do a little research in the local shops and markets and maybe will bring the original product with me...
Will keep you all posted. And 'Courage!' to everyone!:-)
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#151 Sep 15, 2009
Hi JoJo, glad you are trying the Mastic Gum treatment. May I say that you have another important ingredient for getting well...your personal attitude!

Often when I would take my dose of Mastic Gum, I would say, "Die, bug die." Of course, no one was around and I don't credit the bug dying to that statement, it was just an assertive thing I did. I just did it to gain the confidence that I was in control as I had been out of control of my stomach for so long. I actually believe I have had the HP for years as I have always had stomach issues, it just got totally out of control. Until someone has suffered with issues like this, they don't have a clue.

The weight loss and awful pain in my back and through my shoulders when I ate is what happened to me too and I do believe I had an ulcer or had the beginnings of one. I lost from 121 to 105 lb in a couple of months, which was another sign of an ulcer. I'm still working on gaining my weight back. Because of the way I eat (good foods), I fluctuate now between 109-112 lbs, it is all according to what I eat.

By the way, I got a lot of rest during my treatment. I cancelled a lot of meetings and other activities, came home from my part-time job each day and curled up with a book or watched TV. I did nothing to exert my body for over a month. I started feeling really good and then resumed my activities. I believe this is very important too, give your body the chance to recover and do its wonderful work.

JoJo, please keep us informed of your progress. I will send a little prayer up for you because I know how sick this can make a person. Sharon
Todd

Toronto, Canada

#152 Sep 21, 2009
Beem taking mastic gum for a week now. Results are good though still experiencing flareups but they're smaller now.

What does concern me is the possible side effect of blood pressure issues.

I tend to have lower blood pressure. Usually at rest, somewhere around 100/70 or lower.

The last couple of days I've been feeling tired and a little light headed and at the gym, I saw my blood pressure had dropped to around 90/60.

Of course, in the last week or so I've been sick with a bug that I thought I was over. Not sure if this a factor or not.

I have to conclude though that the mastic gum is lowering my blood pressure. So.....

Has anyone ever suffered heart problems from taking it?
Mary

Santo Tirso, Portugal

#153 Sep 23, 2009
I have H-Pylori. I am on Mastic Gum but its giving me stomach aches. I decided only to take on tablet at night however still have cramps in the morning. Does any body else have this problem?
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#154 Sep 23, 2009
Mary, are you taking a good probiotic? Remember you have to replace the good bacteria that has been compromised by the infection. I think the Mastic Gum acts like a natural antibiotic so it could also cause some good bacteria to die. As for stomach cramps, I had them so bad with the H.pylori that I could have never determined if I had stomach aches from the Mastic Gum as I had lived with the pain so long, so I can't address that except to ask if you had stomach cramps as part of the H.pylori. Also, how long have you been on the Mastic Gum? I think you will have some reaction from the H.pylori dying too and it could come in stomach cramps. I had a real metal taste in my mouth when the H.pylori started dying, but I hung in there with the treatment. Sharon
JoJo

Covent Garden, UK

#155 Sep 24, 2009
Just an update. It's my 10th day on the Mastic gum 1g morning and 1g evening. So far I've been feeling very very tired (it may be low blood pressure but I have not checked it - will do tomorrow). Also stomach crumps and stomach aching, especially straight after taking the tablets. I am taking probiotics as well. I have experienced bloating as well. I have started drinking fresh carrot juice every morning and eat broccoli 3-4 times per week. I've also been eating cabbage soup for the past week so maybe that's why the bloating, not sure... I hope the crumps will disappear soon, especially that I am going on holidays on Sunday... Anyone else experienced anything similar? Would the pain disappear eventually?
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#156 Sep 24, 2009
JoJo, you may want to back off the cabbage juice for a few days and see if anything changes. You are getting a lot of "gas" causing type foods when you eat Brocolli and cabbage. You are also getting a lot of Vitamin A with all of the veggies, so you may want to focus on the one the bacteria doesn't like which is brocolli. I can't eat cabbage or cauliflower as it causes me major gas and bloating. If you take away the cabbage and things change, you will know. If it doesn't change after a few days, take away the carrot juice, if that doesn't change things then it could be the broccolli. Are you cooking these veggies or eating them raw? I can't eat raw so I steam mine just a little. Sharon
diane

Suva, Fiji

#157 Sep 28, 2009
Cidalia wrote:
My father has been diagnosed with H Pylori and suffering badly. The prescribed antibiotics did not work. He is constantly bloated and in pain. Does anyone have the name of a supplier in South Africa of the Matual Herbal Formula?
Hi, you could try this distributor. He could probably steer you in the proper direction.

http://www.healthforce.com
http://www.prlabs.com http://www.africanbotanicals.com
http://www.sunfood.com
moises

Bronx, NY

#158 Oct 5, 2009
Well, it doesn't seem to be working for me. After almost 6 weeks of 1,000 mg twice daily on an empty stomach, I have the same problems that I had when I started. I would still encourage others to give it a try. Everyone reacts differently.
LoLo

AOL

#159 Oct 5, 2009
Hi, All,
Well, I'm finished with the 2 per day Mastic Gum Capsules after two months. I'm going to continue for one more month taking just one per day to make sure to kill the H-Pylori for sure. This treatment works pretty well for me -- I've done this twice over the last 5 years. What I will do from now on is every year take one month a year to take 1 capsule per day to (hopefully) prevent the H-Pylori from rearing its ugly self again.

Unfortunately, many of us who have the H-Pylori bug also have other intestinal problems. I am Lactose Intollerant, and also, have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. So, I've had to learn how to self treat each of these other problems to maintain a decent digestive system. Lots of things to avoid eating, but it's worth it.

Wishing you all success as you try to eradicate this miserable bacteria.
LoLo
VALERIE

Chicago, IL

#160 Oct 8, 2009
HELLO ALL. MY MOTHER HAS RECENTLY BEEN DIAGNOIS WITH THIS H.PYLORI INFECTION AND JUST TURNED AGE 75. SHE'S DO NOT EAT AT ALL. SHE BASICALLY ONLY DRINK ENSURE AND BOOST SHE SAY'S SHE HAS A SWEET AND SOUR TASTE IN HER MOUTH EVERY TIME SHE TRY TO EAT ANYTHING ALSO SHE WAS TOLD SHE HAS A ENLARGED LIVER ,A HERNIA ULCER, G.E.R.D AND STRESS. SHE IS ON NEXIUM RIGHT NOW AND POTASSIUM,WARFIN(A BLOOD THINNER)AND CAN NOT EAT GREEN LEAFY FOODS SUCH AS GREENS , CABBAGE, SPINACH. SO MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL THAT ARE BLOGGING TO THIS SITE ARE YOU TRULY OFF OF ANY OR ALL MEDS AND DO ANY ONE HAVE ANY GOOD ADVICE OTHER THAN THAT THIS MASTIC GUM CASPULES IS EFFECTIVE AND CAN YOU GIVE ANY OTHER ADVICE VERY DESPERATE MY MOM IS GIVING UP AND I NEED TO MAKE THIS RIGHT.
Sharon

Gulf Breeze, FL

#161 Oct 8, 2009
Valerie, first you can't make something right, you just have to do your best. As for me, I honestly take no medication at all. I am familiar with the blood thinner your mother is taking which can also add to stomach distress. GERD is also a very serious disorder which does not help the H.pylori situation. I wouldn't think the Mastic Gum would interfere with any of her medications, but just not sure it would be as effective if she wasn't on so much medication. I would not recommend discontinuing the medication though because of her overall condition. What did the doctor recommend that she do? Did he offer the antibiotic regime for the H.pylori? I would think if he didn't the Mastic Gum may be worth trying. I know how she feels not wanting to eat, I didn't either but it was because everything I ate hurt me. I lost down to 105 lbs and looked very sick. I am up to 112 now and feel great after treating my H.pylori with the Mastic Gum. Please remember, you can't fix this, you can only help your mom by doing what you are doing...searching for answers. Sharon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helicobacter Pylori Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After h pylori eradication (Jul '11) 13 hr Christine757 6,705
How I got rid of my H Pylori (Sep '09) Dec 26 Activeirish 34
Mastic treatment for h pylori Dec 19 toraA 2
H Pylori = Bad Breath? (Aug '08) Dec 17 Seeking Peace 288
My Experience With Matula Tea Pt2 (Apr '10) Dec 14 Yeshua Lives 239
H Pylori and Weight loss (May '13) Dec 7 Fudgesmummy 28
Is chest pain a symptom of H. Pylori? (Sep '11) Dec 6 Steve 27
More from around the web