Mastic gum side effects
Mike

UK

#901 Jul 21, 2011
Danny wrote:
I started using Mastic Gum 4 days ago, 1000mg 2x a day. I am using it to treat H.Pylori infection and I have been having lots of loose stools throughout the day. I can't seem to keep anything inside me for more than 6 hours. I don't eat dairy , wheat , gluten ,soy ,caffeine,alcohol, or red meat. I also have colitis, and I don't usually have this many bowel movements. I want to assume this is a die off reaction, has anyone had loose stools from taking mastic gum, and how long did it last?
You shouldnt do more than 1000mg a day. All at bedtime, or split 500mg at bedtime and 500mg two hrs after breakfast, leaving at least 2 hrs before eating again. Then after 4-6 weeks, if going well, half the dosage for next 2 months.
Sharon Glass

Pensacola, FL

#902 Jul 21, 2011
Mike wrote:
Well the hospital took its time, but I went today and got the result of my breath test. My H Pylori has gone. Ive been taking Mastic Gum since late February. So I am also proof that Mastic Gum can get rid of it. However in my case I still get stomache aches when I stop taking the mastic so I may still have traces of gastritis left or am suffering from excess acid or ibs at the moment. These symptoms go away when I take the mastic again though.
Mike, this is wonderful, so glad you had success, I am still doing great, I do my yearly pro-active treatment in November for 30 days and I stay well. I still have some flare ups once in awhile in the stomach but they are not related to the H.pylori, probably something I ate so I think that is just normal stuff. You know when H.pylori flares up because it makes you really sick. So glad you can join the ranks of having a natural cure!
Relu

Romania

#903 Jul 22, 2011
Mike, please help me with an opinion ,i am still taking nexium before going to sleep , and i don't know if nexium mixed with mastic gum before bedtime is a problem , what do you think ? or anybody knows if there is any problem in mixxing those products ( nexium , mastic gum )?
and when should i take the probiotic during the day ?
Mike

UK

#904 Jul 22, 2011
Relu wrote:
Mike, please help me with an opinion ,i am still taking nexium before going to sleep , and i don't know if nexium mixed with mastic gum before bedtime is a problem , what do you think ? or anybody knows if there is any problem in mixxing those products ( nexium , mastic gum )?
and when should i take the probiotic during the day ?
Nexium, and proton pump inhibitors in general, reduce the acid in your stomach, so my first question is have you been given these for H Pylori specifically or were you taking these anyway for something else?
Relu

Romania

#905 Jul 22, 2011
i am doing that treatment with antibiotics , and now is the last part when i am taking just nexium , i decided to take mastic gum as a supliment with probiotics , i need to know if is bad that combination , an if in the morning i can take the mastic gum with the probiotic ( jarrow prime life or something like that ):) so .. what do you think ?
Relu

Romania

#906 Jul 22, 2011
and yes , it was given for H Pylori
Sharon Glass

Pensacola, FL

#907 Jul 22, 2011
I wouldn't advise taking both at the same time as you do antibiotics because Mastic Gum acts like a natural antibiotic in that it kills off the bacteria. If you have finished the antibiotics and have started on Mastic Gum, may be double dosing your system. I would think you would need to choose one or the other, but not do both at the same time or one right behind another. You will also not know if the Mastic did the work or the antibiotics. How long did you take the antibiotics? And, if you took them for the duration, have you been checked to see if the H.pylori is gone?
Relu

Romania

#908 Jul 22, 2011
no , i didn't checked if the antibiotic did it's job , because when it finished ( that was last Fryday ) i continued with the mastic gum next day ,
i did this in order to make sure that the bacteria is gone ..
now please somebody tell me something , when should i take the probiotic , it's okay to take it with the mastic gum in the morning ? and what dosage ( a capsule has 500 mg and it's colostrum from jarrow or something like this )
and before going to sleep , it's okay to take the mastic gum with nexium ?
i need to know opinions for both questions :)
Relu

Romania

#909 Jul 23, 2011
sorry Sharon , i forgot to mention the treatment with the antibiotic was a week and i am taking only 500 mg of mastic gum in the morning
Mike

UK

#910 Jul 23, 2011
Relu wrote:
no , i didn't checked if the antibiotic did it's job , because when it finished ( that was last Fryday ) i continued with the mastic gum next day ,
i did this in order to make sure that the bacteria is gone ..
now please somebody tell me something , when should i take the probiotic , it's okay to take it with the mastic gum in the morning ? and what dosage ( a capsule has 500 mg and it's colostrum from jarrow or something like this )
and before going to sleep , it's okay to take the mastic gum with nexium ?
i need to know opinions for both questions :)
Once you have finished the antiobiotics/nexium course you need to go back to the doc and get tested to see if the h pylori has gone. if not then try the mastic gum.
Sharon Glass

Pensacola, FL

#911 Jul 23, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Once you have finished the antiobiotics/nexium course you need to go back to the doc and get tested to see if the h pylori has gone. if not then try the mastic gum.
That is what I was saying, you need to go back to the doctor to confirm that you have been cured of H.pylori before considering any other treatment. I just don't think it is good to do two treatments one right behind the other. I can't answer the questions on the probiotics and the Nexium as I did not use medicine to treat myself. I did take probiotics a couple of hours prior to taking Mastic to be sure I had extra good bacteria in my system. Sharon
Relu

Romania

#912 Jul 23, 2011
thanks for your advices
humblpye

Nottingham, UK

#913 Jul 24, 2011
sharon sorry, i always found you to be most helpful,that's why i addressed you! i posted a comment regarding cayenne pepper y'day, and notice it has come up in another section of topix,
not to worry, i just wanted to know if anyone had any experience and/or kowledge of cayenne pepper with regard to pylori.
i am still taking mastic although in lower dosage; it's been 2 years now. no alcahol at all and no gluten but still suffer with constsnt stomach ache and related pains.
after giving up on the medical establishment a year ago i happened to bump into my GP who being alarmes at my loss of weight abd poor condition insisted i undergo all the tests again (starting from scratch as it were!)
well, what have i to lose? but i made it very clear; no more antibiotics!
hope this post holds!
take care sharon
john
David M

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#914 Aug 2, 2011
Hello,

This message is for Sharon and for anyone who may be able to help. I am new to this forum.
I have been battling with heartburn since March of this year, 5 months. I have health insurance and have gone through treatment with Prilosec and Pepcid. Prilosec did not get rid of my heartburn and gave me horrible side effects. Pepcid also did not get rid of the heartburn and gave be some side effects but not nearly as bad as Prilosec. It seems like I was better off before I took the Prilosec and before I took the Pepcid.
I have been tested for H Pylori through a blood test and a biopsy form an endoscopy. Results were both negative. I have also had a CT Scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis and everything came back normal.
I always have a constant gnawing feeling in my upper stomach and I have constant heartburn as well as chest tightness.
I am wondering if mastic gum would help my stomach heal from the gnawing. Currently I am only taking aloe vera juice, tums and Maalox as needed. I stopped taking Pepcid this past Sunday.

Thank you.

David
Mike

UK

#915 Aug 3, 2011
David M wrote:
Hello,
This message is for Sharon and for anyone who may be able to help. I am new to this forum.
I have been battling with heartburn since March of this year, 5 months. I have health insurance and have gone through treatment with Prilosec and Pepcid. Prilosec did not get rid of my heartburn and gave me horrible side effects. Pepcid also did not get rid of the heartburn and gave be some side effects but not nearly as bad as Prilosec. It seems like I was better off before I took the Prilosec and before I took the Pepcid.
I have been tested for H Pylori through a blood test and a biopsy form an endoscopy. Results were both negative. I have also had a CT Scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis and everything came back normal.
I always have a constant gnawing feeling in my upper stomach and I have constant heartburn as well as chest tightness.
I am wondering if mastic gum would help my stomach heal from the gnawing. Currently I am only taking aloe vera juice, tums and Maalox as needed. I stopped taking Pepcid this past Sunday.
Thank you.
David
I used to get heartburn and a PPI called Lansoprazole helped me. I'm not aware of Mastic Gum curing heartburn symptoms but others here may have a different story. Have you tried changing your diet? Some food you eat may be triggering it. This often helps.
David M

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#916 Aug 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to get heartburn and a PPI called Lansoprazole helped me. I'm not aware of Mastic Gum curing heartburn symptoms but others here may have a different story. Have you tried changing your diet? Some food you eat may be triggering it. This often helps.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried so many things. I already changed my diet. Don’t eat any trigger foods, tried gluten free, no dairy, no alcohol and so forth. PPI didn’t seem to fully alleviate the problem and it gave me horrible side effects.

I just started DGL yesterday.

Thanks

Since: Jul 11

Prosper, TX

#917 Aug 5, 2011
I had gastritis about 20 years ago. I was also diagnosed with H.Pylori.I took the antibiotics and the pepto bismol. I went back to the doctor and I tested negative for the H. Pylori.I have not had any stomach problems in 20 years.I now have a mild nauseated feeling in my stomach when it is empty.When I eat some food it stops.I just hope I don't have this bug again.I sure don't want to take that antibiotic treatment for H. Pylori again.Since my symptoms are mild,would the Mastic help me?Are there any side effects to Mastic Gum.I have had a 14 day antibiotic treatment for a prostate infection.Could the antibiotics I took for the prostate infection irritate the stomach?Any help will be appreciated.Thanks,Jody.
Sharon Glass

Pensacola, FL

#918 Aug 5, 2011
JODY23 wrote:
I had gastritis about 20 years ago. I was also diagnosed with H.Pylori.I took the antibiotics and the pepto bismol. I went back to the doctor and I tested negative for the H. Pylori.I have not had any stomach problems in 20 years.I now have a mild nauseated feeling in my stomach when it is empty.When I eat some food it stops.I just hope I don't have this bug again.I sure don't want to take that antibiotic treatment for H. Pylori again.Since my symptoms are mild,would the Mastic help me?Are there any side effects to Mastic Gum.I have had a 14 day antibiotic treatment for a prostate infection.Could the antibiotics I took for the prostate infection irritate the stomach?Any help will be appreciated.Thanks,Jody.
Jody, antibiotics can certainly cause discomfort. Did you take any probiotics when you were doing the antibiotics? If not, I would suggest that you buy a GOOD probiotic at the health food store, not the stuff you buy at the grocery, that is not strong enough. I would try taking those and see if that builds up your good bacteria, the antibiotic killed your good bacteria and the bad so that is most likely where the problems are coming from. I would try to do that before using the Mastic because it is not as strong as antibiotics but works on the same concept so if you have no good or bad bacteria you have a very unbalanced system and need to get that straight. Good luck, hope this helps. Sharon
Junior Davis

Manchester, NH

#919 Aug 9, 2011
Wow it's good to see that Sharon is still on here after 2 years if not more.

My issue I have is flares in my stomach. Usually near my belly button. And when I eat after maybe an hour or two it seems like I didnt eat and I get heart burn so bad it burns up to my ears.

I took Prilosec. And the heartburn was gone for the 2 weeks that I took it. Which was amazing I could eat what ever and not have any issues.

After the two weeks were up I got everything back and now today I havent ate anything because of the pain.

I also hear that bad breath comes along with HP. I struggle with that and have been to dentists and still get this weird taste in the back of my mouth.

I haven't been tested for HP only because my doc states that I just have GERD. So I am going to start taking Mastic Gum soon.

I'll update on here too when I get it and start.
Sharon Glass

Pensacola, FL

#920 Aug 9, 2011
Junior Davis wrote:
Wow it's good to see that Sharon is still on here after 2 years if not more.
My issue I have is flares in my stomach. Usually near my belly button. And when I eat after maybe an hour or two it seems like I didnt eat and I get heart burn so bad it burns up to my ears.
I took Prilosec. And the heartburn was gone for the 2 weeks that I took it. Which was amazing I could eat what ever and not have any issues.
After the two weeks were up I got everything back and now today I havent ate anything because of the pain.
I also hear that bad breath comes along with HP. I struggle with that and have been to dentists and still get this weird taste in the back of my mouth.
I haven't been tested for HP only because my doc states that I just have GERD. So I am going to start taking Mastic Gum soon.
I'll update on here too when I get it and start.
Junior, I was so impacted by pylori that I am in sympathy with anyone who has it, that is why I still hang around, maybe I can help someone along the way. The first thing I would tell you to do is to insist that your doctor check you for H.Pylori, it is a simple blood test and he should do what you ask. I asked my doctor to check me because I had so many symptoms that matched. I will say that some of your symptoms do not sound like H.pylori, they sound more like indigestion type issues. When you say burning around your belly button, I had pain to the left of my belly button, but not real close. As for the bad breath, yes that is a sign. Have you given up gluten? That is also a major issue for a lot of people with digestive problems. I gave up gluten because of another condition that it triggered and it is amazing how much better I feel. I would insist on the H.pylori test, he is your doctor and he should want to satisfy your concerns. Gerd is a very bad condition, but I think H.pylori may have a lot to do with it. As for just trying the Mastic Gum, if you are not taking any other treatment, it probably would not be a problem, but I wouldn't do it until you talk your doctor into giving you the test. Just my opinion. Let us know what happens. Sharon

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helicobacter Pylori Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After h pylori eradication (Jul '11) Sat mek 7,109
H Pylori symptoms (Sep '07) Sat Kristine 635
H Pylori = Bad Breath? (Aug '08) Feb 16 Love23 324
H pylori and c. diff risk Feb 14 Andrea 2
How I got rid of my H Pylori (Sep '09) Feb 13 Oconnormarve 43
Mastic Gum or Matula Tea? Or perhaps even Homeo... Feb 11 Carl Halling 1
Where you contract the h pylori and how to avoi... (May '08) Feb 9 Letty 146
More from around the web