Mastic gum side effects
Hadrian

United States

#61 Sep 29, 2008
I've joined this forum just to add my vote in favour of mastic gum! I've had repeated bouts of painful gastritis, ulcers and irritable bowel for decades.

This week, after suffering yet another bout of painful gastritis for two weeks with unsatisfactory relief from famotidine, bismuth, or rabeprazole, I decided to try mastic gum, somewhat in desperation. The pain had been so persistent that I was afraid I had stomach cancer or something. So I took 2 grams (4 500 mg pills spaced out) of mastic gum the first day, and the next day I woke up with no stomach pain for the first time in two weeks! I've continued with 1 gram a day (2 500 mg) since then, and my stomach and bowels have felt surprisingly fine!

One other thing is that whenever my stomach starts to feel a bit "uneasy" between meals, a spot of herbal tea called "Tension Tamer" by Celestial - which contains peppermint, ginger, chamomile and other stomach soothers - works instantly now.

I have no scientific proof of anything, but for me, mastic gum seems to be miraculous!

Hadrian

PS: I am using the Jarrow brand of mastic.
colin

Halesowen, UK

#62 Oct 11, 2008
Hi Debbie, I really have to take issue with your negative comments, as stated in my previous postings mastic gum is the only product that has worked for me, I took the course of mastic for a whole month then a reduced dose for two weeks after , I can assure it is no coincidence that for the first time in years I am symptom free, there are many herbal remedies from plants/trees and I might add that many are incorporated into mainstream medicine etc. I would be the last person to ever comment on a website like this but what mastic has done for me deserves to be shouted from the roof tops, all I can say to anyone that is suffering you have nothing to loose trying mastic for yourself, as in everything the proof of the pudding is in the eating
Gini

Kingsport, TN

#63 Nov 7, 2008
I thought everyone would want to see the fine print in the study (of 9 patients) that said mastic gum was ineffective. Some studies are just garbage and this one is http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/ful...
here is an exerpt:

Conflicts of interest

Professor Atherton has participated in clinical trials funded by Eisai, manufacturers of the proton pump inhibitor rabeprazole

also:
Dr Bebb is funded by a Clinical Training Fellowship and Professor Atherton by a Senior Clinical Fellowship from the Medical Research Council (UK).

Hmm I'm sure the fact that he worked for a PPI pharmaceutical company AND paid for the study didn't bias him at all!!!!
BARF!
HetaSota

Milpitas, CA

#64 Nov 10, 2008
I took Mastic Gum (1gm in the morning) and Manuka honey (1 spoon in the evening) for almost 2 months. My stool test for H Pylori came out negative. I will be taking this test again after a month and update the forum.
Tim

Walpole, MA

#65 Nov 11, 2008
After suffering from a pain in my abdomen for about a month I went to my primary care doctor, who put me on Prolisec. The reason I went to him was to get tested for H Pylori and get a prescription for triple therapy but he dismissed even that, saying (erroneously) that most ulcers aren't caused by H Pylori.

The Prolisec gave me awful gas and additional pain (which he also dismissed as being in my head). I stopped listening to my doctor and taking the Prolisec and started taking Mastic Gum along with DGL and probiotics. Within 48 hours I was pain free.

This past weekend at a wedding I ate spicy barbque and fried chicken washed down with plenty of wine and champagne. No pain at all.

My doctor would have been happy if I stayed on Prolisec for the rest of my life. But the Mastic Gum seems to have cured the problem naturally. No side effects, and to tell you my digestion seemsa as healthy and regular as its ever been.

The allopathic health care system never fails to amaze me in its narrow minded obsession with easing symptoms rather than identifying and permanently solving health-related problems naturally.
Tami

United States

#66 Nov 12, 2008
I had H-pylori 3 years ago, after several treatments with antibiotics, my test still came back positive. I had an allergic reation to one of the antibiotics so I stopped taking everything, the pain went away in time. Now 3 years later and a biopsy confirmed h-pylori is back, the doctor told me to try the mastic gum for a month. So, I will try that method. It is hard to get rid of H-pylori.
DingedUp

Pompano Beach, FL

#67 Nov 26, 2008
Read with interest everyones experiences.
Must say my bout, and resultant visits with a number of physicians demonstrated a real lack of understanding of digestive issues by physicians in general. As to the study done in England regarding mastic gum , even if the study confirms that it does not kill HP in the body it does not mean that it does not have beneficial effects on the digestive tract. The number of posts indicating symptom relief seem to numerous to be a placebo effect (which is not a bad thing). I will try a combination of Mastic and DGL. Will post back if improved.
Ann

United States

#68 Dec 7, 2008
Did anyone try the program from the site
http://h-pylori-symptoms.com ?
The doctor is an expert in H. pylori according to his site. For me, it looks like interesting program. Any opinions?
giordana

Velden, Austria

#69 Dec 10, 2008
HetaSota wrote:
I took Mastic Gum (1gm in the morning) and Manuka honey (1 spoon in the evening) for almost 2 months. My stool test for H Pylori came out negative. I will be taking this test again after a month and update the forum.
Did you take Mastic Gum on an empty stomach,how about what I eat while taking Mastic Gum? Thanks
anita

La Center, WA

#70 Dec 16, 2008
I was diagnose with H pylori and the doctor priscrived mje to take antibiotic and omeprazole for 10 days and it gives me no relief and I'm still suffering discomfort in my abdomin.is mastic gum good for curing ulcer and eradicating H Pylori bacteria?
HetaSota

Milpitas, CA

#71 Dec 17, 2008
HetaSota wrote:
I had the stool test again after a month, and I am positive for H Pylori. My previous test was negative. Looks like Mastic gum suppresses the H Pylori, but cannot eradicate it.
Pat Nelson

Grapevine, TX

#72 Dec 19, 2008
I have been bothered with digestive issues for years, I gained about 25 pounds because I found that a few bites of food would put the "FIRE" out for a short while. I was on Prilosec forever which stopped working after a while. So one day I got to the end of my rope and went to the health food store and got the DGL, which did work but is also known to raise blood pressure, I kept an eye on my blood pressure and took 1 bottle of it. I worked good but for the long term I would say no because of the blood pressure. So I found MASTIC GUM, read up on it, and started taking it along with the probiotics and I feel great, I can actually eat real food I like, PS I lost the 25 pounds I gained because I do not have to have those bites to put out the fire. Hope this helps some one out there and good luck and I would not be afraid to take Mastic I think it is very safe. Pat
Rylie

Newark, NJ

#73 Dec 20, 2008
Guys, just so you know, the maximum dose you should be taking is 2 pills of mastic! 500mg each. 1 in the morning before breakfast and one in the evening when your about to go to bed on an empty stomach, for about a month and the pylori should be eradicated.

I read that someone was taking 6 pills here?! Oh my god, mastic, if taken in high doses can drastically reduce your blood pressure, giving you EXTREME vertigo and or fainting.

If your having trouble with ulcers, and or acid reflux you should try the mastic in conjunction with DGL, because the dgl, if taken before a meal will coat the stomach and protect the ulcer, which means it will heal ^_^, the chewables preferably since the saliva will trigger it better.

Try it guys! It works :].
Rylie

Newark, NJ

#74 Dec 20, 2008
sheri wrote:
hi ive just been diagnosed with HP after reading your letters im now more worried about the side effects of the cure can anyone tell me what they are ive been told antibiotics are taken and ome can anyone give me a clue as what to expect as im really scared thanks and can you get the matula tea in the uk
Hi, yeah antibiotics and omeprazole are given to treat ulcers. The antibiotics will generally kill the helicobactor, however, the omeprazole slows down the acid production in your stomach, which creates even MORE harmful bacteria in your stomach, since there isn't enough acid to completely destroy the food thats entering.

JUST TRY THE MASTIC, it WORKS, and is natural, it wont hurt you, what do you have to lose? 10 dollars?
HetaSota

San Jose, CA

#75 Dec 23, 2008
Rylie wrote:
Guys, just so you know, the maximum dose you should be taking is 2 pills of mastic! 500mg each. 1 in the morning before breakfast and one in the evening when your about to go to bed on an empty stomach, for about a month and the pylori should be eradicated.
I read that someone was taking 6 pills here?! Oh my god, mastic, if taken in high doses can drastically reduce your blood pressure, giving you EXTREME vertigo and or fainting.
If your having trouble with ulcers, and or acid reflux you should try the mastic in conjunction with DGL, because the dgl, if taken before a meal will coat the stomach and protect the ulcer, which means it will heal ^_^, the chewables preferably since the saliva will trigger it better.
Try it guys! It works :].
I did try Mastic gum for a few months, it did not eradicate H Pylori. But it relieves the symptoms of H Pylori when on Mastic.
Rylie

Newark, NJ

#76 Dec 24, 2008
HetaSota wrote:
<quoted text>
I did try Mastic gum for a few months, it did not eradicate H Pylori. But it relieves the symptoms of H Pylori when on Mastic.
You stated that you got a stool test? Stool tests many a time give false results, thats why doctors use breath tests for H. Pylori more often nowadays. Have you gotten a breath test after taking the mastic for two months? What was the result? I'm by no means stating that this works for EVERYONE, was your ulcer a gastric or duodenal? Because duodenal ulcers almost always heal when on mastic.
Jan

Hartlepool, UK

#77 Jan 1, 2009
Have been reading with interest the comments on Mastic Gum. I suffer from bloated stomach, backache, pains in my stomach and fatigue, I have tested positive twice for H.pylori with subsequent treatment of triple therapy which just about wiped me out. The doctor says that my blood shows negative for Hpylori but i am not convinced as i have heard that the only reliable test is the breath test. I have purchased Mastic Gum and wondered if it is okay to take this when using Lonzaprazole tablets which i have been taking permanently for the last ten months.
Rylie

Newark, NJ

#78 Jan 8, 2009
Jan wrote:
Have been reading with interest the comments on Mastic Gum. I suffer from bloated stomach, backache, pains in my stomach and fatigue, I have tested positive twice for H.pylori with subsequent treatment of triple therapy which just about wiped me out. The doctor says that my blood shows negative for Hpylori but i am not convinced as i have heard that the only reliable test is the breath test. I have purchased Mastic Gum and wondered if it is okay to take this when using Lonzaprazole tablets which i have been taking permanently for the last ten months.
Mastic Gum is a natural herbal supplement, so I don't see why you can't take it with your medication.
Zafar

Ruther Glen, VA

#79 Jan 20, 2009
This is a follow up post. I am 44/male. I am taking mastic gum in a raw form, 1g in the morning on empty stomach. I am taking it for the last 6 months. First 2 months, I was taking 1 g in the morning and 1 gram in the evening every day. I was taking it for my chronic Urticaria. It did wonders for me. I had H pylori and Thyroid anti bodies. Now, urticaria is gone (almost), H pylori is gone but Thyroid anti bodies remain. Other thyroid test were fine and are fine. Only thing that could help me was Prednisone ( steroid ) and Mastic. I chose mastic. I am not sure about the long term use of mastic. Did any one use it for long term?
As I said I am using raw mastic so I don't know what is in the capsules that are sold online. Is it the raw gum powdered and them put in the capsules?
I thought we should chew it and through the rest.
Any experience appreciated. Thanks
H Pylori

Sheffield, UK

#80 Jan 21, 2009
"Did anyone try the program from the site
http://h-pylori-symptoms.com ?
The doctor is an expert in H. pylori according to his site. For me, it looks like interesting program. Any opinions?"

Hi Ann,

I have heard about this program and I would say that what David Hompes says does make sense. But then I do favour the natural approach to most problems so I may be biased!!! But it does look like he gives you a balanced opinion of both the natural and triple therapy approach (some parasites and bacteria simply need antiobiotics to be eliminated).

That's my two-pennies worth!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helicobacter Pylori Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
After h pylori eradication (Jul '11) 21 hr Roxyk 7,044
Siberian Pine Nut Oil effective against H.Pylori? (Mar '12) 22 hr Jen1987 10
PLEASE HELP!! Debilitating shortness of breath/... (Nov '11) Fri KerriGomez 27
The best Anti H.pylori remedies (Oct '10) Aug 19 Laura 166
Can H Pylori cause weight loss and a whole rang... (May '14) Aug 18 cxz 15
H. Pylori, barrett's esophagus and lump in thr... Aug 11 AlishaP 2
H Pylori and Esophagitis ? (May '09) Aug 11 AlishaP 25
More from around the web