Mastic gum side effects
Blossom

Baghdad, Iraq

#549 Sep 7, 2010
Two weeks into using Mastic Gum. I had a mild bout of diarrhea this morning and I'm now almost always bloated regardless of whether my stomach is empty or not. I get aches in my lower abdomen/intestine area and sometimes suffer from delayed gastric emptying too. Is this normal to get mild diarrhea/delayed emptying on alternating days? I just feel like things aren't working as they should in my intestines/stomach :( On the plus side ulcer pain has completely vanished. I'm feeling a little dishearted though, have bloating and discomfort right now and all I ate was one small slice of toast, probiotic yoghurt, sunflower seeds with raisins and a nectarine!! I'm drinking loads of water so not sure why I'm suffering from this discomfort. Reassurance needed!
Ttj

Karaj, Iran

#550 Sep 7, 2010
Blossom wrote:
Two weeks into using Mastic Gum. I had a mild bout of diarrhea this morning and I'm now almost always bloated regardless of whether my stomach is empty or not. I get aches in my lower abdomen/intestine area and sometimes suffer from delayed gastric emptying too. Is this normal to get mild diarrhea/delayed emptying on alternating days? I just feel like things aren't working as they should in my intestines/stomach :( On the plus side ulcer pain has completely vanished. I'm feeling a little dishearted though, have bloating and discomfort right now and all I ate was one small slice of toast, probiotic yoghurt, sunflower seeds with raisins and a nectarine!! I'm drinking loads of water so not sure why I'm suffering from this discomfort. Reassurance needed!
Be reassured Blossom.
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#551 Sep 7, 2010
kevin wrote:
hi sharon,
Does probiotic effectively kill h.pylori ? I am using a probiotic named "Ultrabiotic" is it good ?
Kevin, are you treating for H.Pylori? If so, the probiotic helps replace your good bacteria that is also being killed by treatment. Probiotics are not a treatment for H.pylori, they just help with your good bacteria which is usually overcome by the H.pylori bacteria and then by any treatment you may be doing. It is important to take the probiotics all the time. I take them every day. Sharon
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#552 Sep 7, 2010
Blossom wrote:
Blossom, I wouldn't worry much about the diarrhea/delayed emptying at this point because your system is trying to adjust. I had the same thing happen to me. Have you tried giving up the breads? You may be sensitive to gluten. I would also be careful in some of the foods you mentioned because you have to remember your intestines are very irritated with the bacteria and sunflower seeds may not be the best, maybe a smoother nut like walnuts. I would also not mix yogurt and nectraine, that can sour on the stomach. I would be very careful of acidic fruits until your stomach heals a little more. You would be better to eat the toast and yogurt together and if you like peanut butter, spread that on the bread and maybe top that with some walnuts (this will give you some good protein and those mix well together).

Also, if you are drinking a lot of water be sure that you don't drink it with your food. Either drink 30 minutes before eating or give your food about an hour then drink. Can you eat rice? Your stomach has to heal and because we live in an instant gratification world, we don't want to give things time. Our bodies are wonderful pieces of art and they often need time to heal and we just don't give it. The inside of your stomach wall probably looks like ground hamburger and it needs to be really pampered for awhile.

Rice is easy to digest and has good protein. Banana's are a good source of potassium, so you might try a banana, spread the top of it with peanut butter (protein), then dip the end of the banana in some walnuts and bite it, then repeat until you have eaten the whole banana. Good snack and nourishing and probably won't hurt you. If you have any pain in the ulcer area, you may want to leave off the walnuts.

Just be careful about mixing certain foods, they will cause lots of bloating and gas, especially milk products and acid type fruits. You might consider eating every two hours (something small each time) for a week or so and eat some things separate of each other, that way you avoid mixing. I know this sounds like a lot, but look at how fortunate you are that your ulcer pain is gone and look forward to all of the rest being gone and returning to good health. Give it time, it will work. Sharon
Ttj

Karaj, Iran

#553 Sep 8, 2010
Blossom,

In what form did you take the Mastic Gum and what dosage please?

I note that "Sharon" has given you some very good tips so I hope you will be more reassured now.
Blossom

Hungary

#554 Sep 8, 2010
Ttj,

I take Mastic Gum in capsule form. I take 500mg an hour before breakfast and 500mg in the evening an hour before/after dinner depending on timing. Some days I only take 500mg though, I don't ever go over 1000mg a day because it can lower blood pressure & mine is naturally on the low side anyway.

I drink cabbage juice and take Manuka Honey once a day too. These three things have helped with the ulcer. I have an endoscopy next week that'll confirm whether or not I'm healed. Thanks for the reassurance!

Sharon, thanks so much for your feedback. I haven't given up bread to be honest; I shall have to try, not sure what else to have instead for breakfast though, am so used to wholemeal bread! I admit I do drink water with food, I'll try to leave a gap between it and food and see if that helps. I love rice, have been cutting it down though as I thought it was making me more bloated! Well rice does that to everyone anyway doesn't it!

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone in the symptoms I'm having, I'm sure it is just my body trying to adjust and fight this nasty bug off as you say. But I am getting aching in my lower abdomen/general intestine area just before and about 20 mins after bowel movements; is that normal? It's the ache I was worried about.

Thanks Sharon for the tips on avoiding the food mixing, I'll try and be more careful, eat a little often, and keep you posted on how I get on! I really want this to clear up before I start uni on the 27th September! Fingers crossed, last thing I want to worry about is my stomach while I'm studying!
sam

Batley, UK

#555 Sep 8, 2010
The Role of Diet
Unfortunately, many people – possibly including you - will never eradicate H pylori until they alter
their diet and remove foods that weaken the immune system and cause inflammation in the
intestines.It is beyond the scope of this article to explain how food affects H pylori infection and vice-versa
in detail, but I will provide one powerful example:
Wheat, rye and barley are grains that are eaten on a daily basis by most people. Bread, pasta,
crackers, pizzas, biscuits, pastry and other baked goods are all examples. There is a protein
substance found in these grains called gluten.
Nearly all the people I work with feel better when they eliminate gluten from their diet. In many
people, gluten causes inflammation in the small intestine. H pylori also cause inflammation in the
small intestine. So gluten and H pylori can cause exactly the same symptoms.
I have seen time and time again that when someone with H pylori takes gluten out of his or her
diet, many symptoms just go away even before the H pylori has been eradicated.
I have also seen people who have come to me thinking they have H pylori but the tests have
proven negative. On eliminating gluten, all their symptoms have gone away!
If you try to use supplements to kill H pylori and you don’t eliminate the foods that commonly
cause inflammation in the intestines, the supplements (and / or antibiotics) probably will not work.
The inflammation caused by foods will create pockets in the gut lining where H pylori can hide
and evade contact with the herbs, oils and other agents that are taken to kill the infection.
This is one of the reasons why many people who have taken supplements such as mastic gum,
or antibiotics, without changing their diet still have H pylori. The result is usually a waste of money with no progress made.
hope this helps
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#556 Sep 8, 2010
I agree with everything Sam said, I just know how hard it is to give up everything, but I did it and it proved to be my lifesaver. If you want to be well then you have a choice. I tested negative for wheat and gluten allergy, but I when I ate the products that Sam mentioned I had problems, so I did away with them and now have a great digestive system. I believe the Mastic Gum healed me because I had already begun a good diet and followed a good diet throughout the treatment with Mastic.

I believe it is a matter of being well or being sick. I know I want to have good energy all the time (which I do), I want to have no pain (and, I don't) and I want to be healthy (which at 69 I do better than some 1/2 my age). A young man in my office is 28 years old has been told that his liver is in trouble because of his obese body. I told him to lay off the pizza, sandwiches etc. and see if that helps, he won't do that so his liver will continue to go downhill and if the truth is known I will probably outlive him and that doesn't have to happen. So, we all have choices, we just have to know what we want most.

Blossom, if you don't give up the gluten you will never know if that is what is causing your problems. You should always be consistent with your dosages of anything you are taking and doing Mastic Gum 500 mg one day and 1,000 the next will not work, you are just wasting your time and money. Consistency with eating and supplements or medication (if you choose that route) is very important. Sharon
Jamal

Kitchener, Canada

#557 Sep 8, 2010
Hi Sharon,

How can we tell if H.pylori is the responsible for upset stomach or not since 50% of the humanity has ir. Some studies found H.pylori in the stomach of mexican mommies!

Why I'm asking those question is because there is no proof that can tell you if you have H.pylori, it`s the responsible for your trouble.

10% of the 50 who have it experiences symptoms. Wich mean that if you have H.pylori, it`s just 5% chance that this bug is responsible for the upset stomach. What bout the other 95%?
Ttj

Karaj, Iran

#558 Sep 8, 2010
Blossom,

Thank you for your reply.
Blossom

Baghdad, Iraq

#559 Sep 8, 2010
Sharon,

I did have reasons for only taking 500mg on a few days; I'm back to 1000mg now which is my standard. I'm giving up breads from today too. I assume it's ok to take 500mg 12 hours apart though? I'm really not keen on taking 1000mg in one go. I can't take it before bed on an empty stomach like it suggests due to the ulcer problem. I can't feel my ulcer normally, but if I'm extremely hungry I will feel some mild discomfort in the area after a couple of hours of not eating anything at all. Could just be gastritis and not an ulcer now, I'll find that out next week.

Thanks for your advice again Sharon.

Ttj, no problem, you're welcome.
Anonymous

Nottingham, UK

#560 Sep 11, 2010
Blossom,

I've been taking 2x500 caps twice a day, 2 when i wake up and 2 around 3pm. the idea is to take them on an empty stomach so they can reach the areas that need protection (before any food gets there)
Apart from a bit of burping which compared to the real pain of pylori/candidiatis is nothing.
I've had this infection for exactly one year now. all the antibiotics in the world didn't help in fact made the situation worse.
My doctor referred me to a shrink in the end, needless to say i didn't go.
One important thing that cannot be stressed enough here is diet. It's the hardest part of the treatment but without it you're fighting an endless battle.
Bread, and all gluten containing products have to go. if you have a cadida problem you'll have to quit all fruits and anything that contain or convert to sugar in the gut, at least until your system settles down; this unfortunately can take a while. yeast is another problem,I used to drink a couple beers every evening but have quit all alcohol now for good. one thing i noticed although i didn't mentally connect it to the infection, are the sneezing fits that occurred everytime i drank beer. now i've quit, so has the sneezing...

I have good days and bad days too, whenever i've had a few good days i think it's all over and start eating normally again...big mistake cos then i suffer for a week and have to start all over again.
I guess you have to experiment with certain foods, your body will let you know which are ok and which are'nt.
I can't afford a herbalist's consultations so i just order my mastic and probiotics on the phone and play it by ear.
This is a good site to be on i'm glad i found it. I have discovered that when you're really in a fix certain avenues of help begin opening up. i used to think this mysterious but it's not really; it's all about seeking and finding.
I hope that makes sense!
Take care and good luck

John
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#561 Sep 11, 2010
Jamal wrote:
Hi Sharon,
How can we tell if H.pylori is the responsible for upset stomach or not since 50% of the humanity has ir. Some studies found H.pylori in the stomach of mexican mommies!
Why I'm asking those question is because there is no proof that can tell you if you have H.pylori, it`s the responsible for your trouble.
10% of the 50 who have it experiences symptoms. Wich mean that if you have H.pylori, it`s just 5% chance that this bug is responsible for the upset stomach. What bout the other 95%?
Jamal, you are right there are so many reasons for upset stomachs and the only way to see if it is H.pylori is to see if that bacteria is elevated. If you have never been treated for H.pylori then a blood test will usually show that. Keep in mind that H.pylori is in all of us, the danger is when it is elevated beyond what is natural, then there is an overgrowth. If you have been treated for H.pylori then you will need a stool test to see if you still have it. There are other test, but most are invasive and that would have to be a persons decision. But, having an upset stomach does not mean it is H.pylori, you may be sensitive to wheat or other foods so weeding that out is long and tedious but can be done. We also get upset stomachs at various times with no reason that we can associate it with. With an overgrowth of H.pylori the symptoms are usually pretty severe. Nothing stayed in my system and I was headed downhill rapidly with a large loss of weight etc. Sharon
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#562 Sep 11, 2010
humblpye wrote:
Blossom,
I've been taking 2x500 caps twice a day, 2 when i wake up and 2 around 3pm. the idea is to take them on an empty stomach so they can reach the areas that need protection (before any food gets there)
Apart from a bit of burping which compared to the real pain of pylori/candidiatis is nothing.
I've had this infection for exactly one year now. all the antibiotics in the world didn't help in fact made the situation worse.
My doctor referred me to a shrink in the end, needless to say i didn't go.
One important thing that cannot be stressed enough here is diet. It's the hardest part of the treatment but without it you're fighting an endless battle.
Bread, and all gluten containing products have to go. if you have a cadida problem you'll have to quit all fruits and anything that contain or convert to sugar in the gut, at least until your system settles down; this unfortunately can take a while. yeast is another problem,I used to drink a couple beers every evening but have quit all alcohol now for good. one thing i noticed although i didn't mentally connect it to the infection, are the sneezing fits that occurred everytime i drank beer. now i've quit, so has the sneezing...
I have good days and bad days too, whenever i've had a few good days i think it's all over and start eating normally again...big mistake cos then i suffer for a week and have to start all over again.
I guess you have to experiment with certain foods, your body will let you know which are ok and which are'nt.
I can't afford a herbalist's consultations so i just order my mastic and probiotics on the phone and play it by ear.
This is a good site to be on i'm glad i found it. I have discovered that when you're really in a fix certain avenues of help begin opening up. i used to think this mysterious but it's not really; it's all about seeking and finding.
I hope that makes sense!
Take care and good luck
John
John, you have a great attitude about all of this. I have found that giving up some foods is a small cost for good health. A lot of people say to me that they could never do that. I say, if you had the problems I did, you would or you would be sick all the time. Some say, you have no quality of life not being able to eat certain things. I say, look at me, do I look like I have no quality of life. I am a size 6, even had several people ask me if I am a runner...yea right, I am almost 70 years old...running is not part of my quality of life plan. I do walk my dog a lot. With all of that said, why would we want to eat things that harm us? Why and for what reason? I love the foods I eat and have become very talented at making new dishes. Example: I love meat loaf, but red meat does not digest well in my system. So, today I wanted meatloaf so bad. So I made one with ground turkey, I mixed in some cut up Vidalia onion, broke up some rice crackers (no gluten/wheat), stirred in some great seasonings (no msg), mixed in an egg, mixed it all together into a loaf, spread some "organic" "no preservative" ketchup on the top and can't wait to cook it and serve it for my dinner tonight along with a large helping of steamed brocolli and 1/2 of a baked sweet potato. Who would call that no quality of life. Yummm.

Anyway, I am with you John on trying to find the source of the problem. It takes a lot of time, but is worth it in the end. Sharon
Blossom

Baghdad, Iraq

#563 Sep 11, 2010
humblpye, I agree diet is the hardest part! I've been taken Mastic for almost 3 weeks now. The main symptoms I am having right now are pain in my gut after eating/bowl movements. Belly is always bloated. I don't know if this is normal or not, could it be the Mastic is stirring things up and starting to attack the H. Pylori? That's what I'd like to believe, but to be honest I'm a little worried. I have a dull ache right now, and all I ate was a banana and a glass of water!:( I also feel drained a lot, and just feel like my intestines are really irritated and out of balance. I'm actually wondering if I might have a Candida overgrowth, is this possible?
If I give some quick background, basically I've been under a huge amount of emotional stress (sick family member) since May (which I believe makes the stomach environment more acidic, helping bad bacteria to flourish, am I right?) Things have settled on the emotional front since then but my symptoms have lingered. First it was ulcer-like pain that is practically gone now (unless I starve myself, then I can feel discomfort in the area), and now the abdominal aching. I'm seeing a doctor on Monday, and my endoscopy is next Friday. I have no idea what to tell the doc on Monday though, I get heart palpitations every day too (not anxiety related), it's like I know something is happening in my intestines and affecting the rest of my body but I can't for the life of me get a doctor to tell me exactly what.
I think the ache has something to do with the mastic though, I've been having it the last few days, never used to get it before.
Good luck humblpye, I too haven't asked anybody else's opinions on what I'm taking (Manuka, Mastic, Cabbage juice), my doctor told me there were no alternative treatments for H. Pylori, so no way am I consulting her again!
Amon

Belgium

#564 Sep 12, 2010
Hi guys, I got Helico bacter Pilori and I tried the usual antibiotics treatment that made me even worse...after a couple of months I had again this HB back again and had to go for tri therapy, now before I go for it...I will try the Mastic Gum and let you know.
My doctor (of course like any other doctor) doesn't believe in it ... it took doctors a hell of time to figure out a bactery could live in your stomach...so for me it will take anoter 30 years time before they figure out what we are doing to our body with antibiotics....
Keep you posted after my experience with Mastic Gum.
kevin

Mauritius

#565 Sep 12, 2010
hi sharon, can garlic be used for h.pylori?
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#566 Sep 12, 2010
Blossom wrote:
humblpye, I agree diet is the hardest part! I've been taken Mastic for almost 3 weeks now. The main symptoms I am having right now are pain in my gut after eating/bowl movements. Belly is always bloated. I don't know if this is normal or not, could it be the Mastic is stirring things up and starting to attack the H. Pylori? That's what I'd like to believe, but to be honest I'm a little worried. I have a dull ache right now, and all I ate was a banana and a glass of water!:( I also feel drained a lot, and just feel like my intestines are really irritated and out of balance. I'm actually wondering if I might have a Candida overgrowth, is this possible?
If I give some quick background, basically I've been under a huge amount of emotional stress (sick family member) since May (which I believe makes the stomach environment more acidic, helping bad bacteria to flourish, am I right?) Things have settled on the emotional front since then but my symptoms have lingered. First it was ulcer-like pain that is practically gone now (unless I starve myself, then I can feel discomfort in the area), and now the abdominal aching. I'm seeing a doctor on Monday, and my endoscopy is next Friday. I have no idea what to tell the doc on Monday though, I get heart palpitations every day too (not anxiety related), it's like I know something is happening in my intestines and affecting the rest of my body but I can't for the life of me get a doctor to tell me exactly what.
I think the ache has something to do with the mastic though, I've been having it the last few days, never used to get it before.
Good luck humblpye, I too haven't asked anybody else's opinions on what I'm taking (Manuka, Mastic, Cabbage juice), my doctor told me there were no alternative treatments for H. Pylori, so no way am I consulting her again!
Blossom, I can only encourage you to be patient. It is entirely possible that the Mastic Gum is doing its job and that could relate to the pain. I had a lot of pain until about 6-7 weeks into treatment. My upset stomach stopped, but the pain was there. I had so much pain before that this was nothing new for me. I just hung in there. I was very strict with my eating though and did not stray at all on that. I do know that if I ate cabbage much less drank cabbage juice I would have gas so I don't know if that is your problem or not. YOu might try some Slippery Elm capsules for the stomach pain, it helps relax the intestines.

As you probably know, there are not many doctors that agree with anything to do that is supplement related. It is because they don't understand it and could get in trouble for agreeing with that type of treatment.

As for your heart palpitations...read this...http://www.afibbers.org /conference/session42.pdf I was diagnosed with AFIB in late 2005, and I totally believe there is a connection between H.pylori and heart irregularities. I had afib every two months before I treated for H.pylori, not there have been 6-8 months and all episodes are less than before. Most of the time I can relate the ones I have now to stress which leads me to your stress connection. I would recommend L-Theanine capsules (an amino acid extracted from green tea), it is the greatest supplement for calming the nerves and won't leave you groggy or anything and it won't hurt you. If I know I have something stressful coming up I will take one of these and I breeze right through it. Sharon
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#567 Sep 12, 2010
Let me post that connection again, I don't think it set where you can just connect

http://www.afibbers.org/conference/session42....
Sharon

Pensacola, FL

#568 Sep 12, 2010
kevin wrote:
hi sharon, can garlic be used for h.pylori?
Kevin, I don't know if garlic is good for eradicating h.pylori, I know it is recommended that broccoli sprouts are good for that. I ate a ton of steamed broccoli while treating with Mastic Gum. I didn't do the sprouts because raw stuff doesn't work in my system very well. Sorry, don't know about garlic, I know it is good for a lot of things but don't know if it will effect the H.pylori bacteria. Scientist have proven it hates broccoli though, that is why I fed it as much as I could. I would jokingly say while I was shoveling in the broccoli - "die, bug die!" Did take me a month or so after treatment to eat broccoli again as I was tired of it, but, along with the Mastic Gum it worked for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Helicobacter Pylori Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
can the prevpak effect your menstrual cycle? 6 hr jaynay 1
A guide to taking Pylera from someone on the fr... (Apr '13) 6 hr Wdw 23
Where you contract the h pylori and how to avoi... (May '08) Jun 23 Yvette a 142
After h pylori eradication (Jul '11) Jun 22 john_p_1980 7,004
H Pylori treatment : Zinlori 75? (Jan '08) Jun 22 Amanda 74
My experience with h.pylori 2014-2015 (Nov '15) Jun 18 Jellybeans529 5
H Pylori and Weight loss (May '13) Jun 17 Pedal 53
More from around the web