After H. Pylori Eradication. Bad bacteria overgrowth from antibiotics.

Posted in the Helicobacter Pylori Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Angie

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

Hello,

I got mono this june and my doctor mistakenly thought it was symptoms from h. pylori and I took the treatment. I was on an antibiotic directly prior for a small uti as well so I felt like all of the antibiotics nearly killed me or else I didn't tolerate it well. So, after the mono passed I felt much better until I started getting stomach issues i NEVER had before. I went from horrible constipation to horrible diarrhea. Gas, bloating, heartburn, and what seems like constant burping sometimes. I was really confused because these are symptoms I never experienced before or during my h. pylori treatment yet as I read about h. pylori all of these symptoms seemed to fit. I was convinced I still had it but I did a blood and stool test which came back negative. I was beyond frustrated and went to see a GI doctor. I was even more confused after talking to him. He told me he bet that I never had any symptoms of h. pylori before the treatment, which is true. He said that it is usually not symptomatic and that the risk of cancer was low. He didn't say it but he came across like he wasn't overly concerned with h. pylori. He said that there was no point in continuing to retest and said that from my symptoms he feels that after all the antibiotics bad bacteria outgrew the good, which would explain all of the gas issues and bowel changes. He told me that I needed to start a different antibiotic and take probiotics during (my general doctor never told me about probiotics but I guess I should have known). Anyway, the GI doctor said that I basically needed to start from scratch and that after the antibiotic and probiotic my symptoms should go away as the bad bacteria does. Anyone have any experience with starting over after this? Any advice or stories are appreciated. I would love to get back to normal, these symptoms seem to go on and on.
Tristen

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2012

Hi Angie, I have a similar story. I went to my doctor with vomiting and horrible abdominal pain, and tested positive for H pylori. So, I took the antibiotics. I found out later that my initial symptoms were due to gallstones in my gallbladder. About halfway through the antibiotic treatment, I developed constant bloating, belching, gas, reflux and heartburn. That was a little over two years ago. The numerous doctors I have seen tell me that my symptoms cannot be caused by the antibiotic treatment since I am still having these symptoms years later. In the end, they tell me it's most likely gallbladder related and that I need to get it removed, but I still am not buying that. I have had numerous tests. I got rid of my gallstones, and all gallbladder tests since then have been normal. The only abnormal tests were positive for bacterial overgrowth and mild steatorrhea. I was given more antibiotics and told to take probiotics. I have not felt any better with the antibiotics, and probiotics just make me feel worse. I have developed more symptoms which I believe are related to my digestive problems. Before the gallstones/h pylori eradication ordeal, my digestive system was perfect. I did not know what probiotics were and I did not know what reflux/heartburn felt like. Have you had any relief with your symptoms?
Racheal

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2012

Tristen, I had h pylori two years ago and just can't get better. Somedays it's acid reflux others stomach burning of it's intestinet problems. There is always something. I only drink water and have had no salad dressing, or condiments of any kind for two years. My diet it very limited. I recently found a doctor that is treating me for a yeast over growth. My acid reflux is out of control this week. What symptoms are you haveing?
Tristen wrote:
Hi Angie, I have a similar story. I went to my doctor with vomiting and horrible abdominal pain, and tested positive for H pylori. So, I took the antibiotics. I found out later that my initial symptoms were due to gallstones in my gallbladder. About halfway through the antibiotic treatment, I developed constant bloating, belching, gas, reflux and heartburn. That was a little over two years ago. The numerous doctors I have seen tell me that my symptoms cannot be caused by the antibiotic treatment since I am still having these symptoms years later. In the end, they tell me it's most likely gallbladder related and that I need to get it removed, but I still am not buying that. I have had numerous tests. I got rid of my gallstones, and all gallbladder tests since then have been normal. The only abnormal tests were positive for bacterial overgrowth and mild steatorrhea. I was given more antibiotics and told to take probiotics. I have not felt any better with the antibiotics, and probiotics just make me feel worse. I have developed more symptoms which I believe are related to my digestive problems. Before the gallstones/h pylori eradication ordeal, my digestive system was perfect. I did not know what probiotics were and I did not know what reflux/heartburn felt like. Have you had any relief with your symptoms?
Tristen

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2012

These are my current symptoms in order of when they started: constant uppder & lower abdominal bloating, belching, gas, nausea, heartburn/reflux, constipation, dry skin, dry hair, brittle nails, fatigue, hand numbness, feet numbness, coated tongue, dry mouth, bad breath, everything tastes & smells bad, joint pain, muscle pain, stomach pain. I stopped eating for two weeks a little over a year ago, and that is when I developed the coated tongue and still cannot get rid of it. I have tried antibacterial and antifungal medications & supplements, but they have not helped. I just left a message for my doctor to get a prescription for both, so I can try them at the same time to see if that helps.
Racheal wrote:
Tristen, I had h pylori two years ago and just can't get better. Somedays it's acid reflux others stomach burning of it's intestinet problems. There is always something. I only drink water and have had no salad dressing, or condiments of any kind for two years. My diet it very limited. I recently found a doctor that is treating me for a yeast over growth. My acid reflux is out of control this week. What symptoms are you haveing?
<quoted text>
Lenny

Liverpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Tristen, similar symptoms to my wife! Also, she suffers with itchy skin after a shower or bath - has blotches all over! She also has problems opening jars and holding a mug of coffee, has terrible pain in her fingers and bones.

My wife was misdiagnosed for 2 years! She tried the antibiotic regime but it made her worse! We researched natural remedies and decided to try Mastic Gum, and the mistake she made was stopping after one month as it seemed that the H Pylori disappeared.

Now the H Pylori has returned and she is back on the Mastic Gum, and will do a three month course. Also she will be taking Virgin Coconut Oil.

Anyone else tried natural remedies?

Cheers,
Lenny
Tristen

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2012

Hi Lenny, I have tried many natural remedies to try to fix myself, but not to get rid of H pylori since I took the antibiotics for two weeks and don't have it anymore (I was tested twice, along with many other tests). I have blotches too, but mine are all over my back. I think my blotches are from all the different supplements I have been taking. It's terrible. You may want to post on this forum below, there are a lot more people on it to try to help you help your wife. They are helping me with their suggestions. One person suggested (today) that Siberian Pine Nut Oil is good at killing the H pylori. Take care.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/helicobacte...
PpP

Hamden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Hi Tristen, did you get any tests done after the treatment. Urea breath test or stool antigen test?
Tristen

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Hi PpP, Yes, I had the stool antigen test for H pylori twice which was negative both times. Also, I had another test which showed no gram-negative bacteria at all, only gram-positive bacteria.
HPyloriSucks

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

Tristen wrote:
Hi PpP, Yes, I had the stool antigen test for H pylori twice which was negative both times. Also, I had another test which showed no gram-negative bacteria at all, only gram-positive bacteria.
Tristen,
You could be having an allergic reaction to all the supplements that you have been/are taking. Unfortunately, many of these so called supplements are sub-par in quality and are NOT regulated by the FDA, so you are truly taking the word of those (marketers) that sell these - and their goal is to make Money, they couldn't care less about healing you. My philosophy is stay away from any supplement, unless your doctor recommends it or it is regulated by the FDA. Typically leading brands of Vitamins and Probiotics are the supplements that are widely researched and recommended, most of them are pretty safe. The other ones are a hit or miss, you may or not get lucky, and many of them are actually made in China/India, etc under very poor supervision, and cause more harm then good - that is the sad reality. BTW, have you gotten a complete physical done, all kinds of blood work, X-RAYs and ultrasounds of your abdominal area, etc? I suspect you have other health issues going on, maybe some of these supplements actually poisioned you?
Tristen

Georgetown, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

HPSucks, The spots all over my back appeared about 3 months ago when a naturopath gave me all these natural and homeopathic remedies to try. However, even a bigger nuisance is these red bumps under the skin of the top and sides of my fingers (only on dominant hand), sometimes they are painful and sometimes itchy. I noticed them immediately after taking the antibiotics for H Pylori over two years ago. I have had blood tests, stool tests, celiac disease tests, allergy tests, x-rays, abdominal & pelvic ultrasounds, hida scans, endoscopy, an ercp, and a breath test. Everything was normal except I tested positive for bacterial overgrowth on the breath test. The doctors dismissed it as being a problem since the antibiotics I tried for it did not make any difference. I just feel so toxic with the bumps, spots, bloating, and nasty, coated mouth and tongue. I'm lost, nothing is working, and the numerous GI docs I have seen can't find the problem.
Tony

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

I know for sure that I m having h pylori bacteria but I would like to take a h pylori breath test. How much does It cost to take a h pylori breath test, does everybody know??? please Help!!!!
william

Olympia, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Have any of you been tested for gluten sensitivity? Read up on gluten allergies. It sounds to me like that may be some of your issues. Also, you can get a negative response to a test even though you do have a sensitivity, That happens quite often. My suggestion would be to go on a gluten free diet and see if you see any difference after a month. A friend of mine had similiar sypmtoms and went on a gf diet. In a month she was feeling alot better. She decided to have ome non gf food on a weekend with friends and she was feeling Horrible come Monday. That id a sure sign that gluten was the culprit.
mojo

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2013

Finished my triple therapy for hp,started to feel better initially.but after the course I've started to experience other symptoms,such as egg smelling and tasting burps.and Im always bloated and never feel hungry .this thing is really ruining my life and i feel so alone in it.but reading all your stories makes me feel less isolated.my doc says I'll be given the breath test in a few wks.but as Im gettin new symptoms,Im already starting to think i still have hp.the doc never seems overly concerned tho,but Im so worried and fed up.i just want my life back.before all this started i was full of life and very. Happy. Is holding me back so much.Im just hoping for a positive outcome and a cure for this.i think only us who are goin through this really understand.so.be strong everyone.we'll get through it.there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel.x
Diane

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

I did the gluten for a month, felt much better. Then I caved and started eating gluten all symptoms came back. Now back gluten free and feeling much better again. My husband also out of support went GF an he said he feels amazing.
william wrote:
Have any of you been tested for gluten sensitivity? Read up on gluten allergies. It sounds to me like that may be some of your issues. Also, you can get a negative response to a test even though you do have a sensitivity, That happens quite often. My suggestion would be to go on a gluten free diet and see if you see any difference after a month. A friend of mine had similiar sypmtoms and went on a gf diet. In a month she was feeling alot better. She decided to have ome non gf food on a weekend with friends and she was feeling Horrible come Monday. That id a sure sign that gluten was the culprit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

45 Users are viewing the Helicobacter Pylori Forum right now

Search the Helicobacter Pylori Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
After h pylori eradication (Jul '11) Apr 15 Joseph Jr 6,329
oxford screening.co.uk (Mar '12) Apr 13 Marcus 2414 6
H Pylori symptoms (Sep '07) Apr 11 Lisa 580
h pylori hell Apr 10 Noundz 5
Antibiotics are still the treatment of choice f... (Dec '07) Apr 10 mrmastic 209
H Pylori and Olive Oil (Mar '07) Apr 7 Antonio de Palma 25
H.Pylori and Atrial Fibrillation Connection (Apr '09) Apr 7 Margie 25
Mastic gum side effects (Apr '07) Mar 24 Sharon 2,374
•••
•••
•••
•••