Democratic senator says Obamacare could have 'meltdown,' hurt party

Dec 22, 2013 Full story: Reuters 110

President Barack Obama's healthcare law could have a "meltdown" and make it difficult for his Democratic Party to keep control of the U.S. Senate next year if ongoing problems with the program are not resolved, a Democratic senator said on Sunday.

Full Story
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#85 Dec 26, 2013
Evilmonger wrote:
<quoted text>This is because of a lack of skills and a habit of making repeated stupid decisions. People who drop out of high school or are too high/drunk to use contraception should EXPECT their lives to suck. MUCH better for their lives to suck than to penalize those who make better decisions in order to shield them from the consequences of their OWN decisions. It's called freedom; security doesn't come unless freedom is used wisely.
less than 35% of the 156 Million in the American workforce have college degrees. Still having a college degree in America doesn't guarantee career success and relieves an individual of years of training to become adequate in their profession.

I agree about the pursuit of education and family planning decisions, that's why I can't understand the Republican ideology on education funding and family planning decisions.

I can remember when community colleges were free or of minimal cost. Ronald Reagan killed that train. Now as a result there are loads of engineering jobs available approximately 3 million and not many citizens trained in the discipline to tackle those task.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#86 Dec 26, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>less than 35% of the 156 Million in the American workforce have college degrees. Still having a college degree in America doesn't guarantee career success and relieves an individual of years of training to become adequate in their profession.

I agree about the pursuit of education and family planning decisions, that's why I can't understand the Republican ideology on education funding and family planning decisions.

I can remember when community colleges were free or of minimal cost. Ronald Reagan killed that train. Now as a result there are loads of engineering jobs available approximately 3 million and not many citizens trained in the discipline to tackle those task.
We have free community college here and have had. Your claim about Reagan is just another lie.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#87 Dec 26, 2013
Again your assumptions are asinine.

Small, without a description is vague. Small employers are exempt from participation and any mandate related to ACA.

It's cheaper for small employers who doesn't have to compete for personnel essential to their operations to drop heath care insurance and provide the contributions to the employee as compensation if the employer thinks those employees are worth the extra expense.

Of course a small business doesn't have the group rates larger employers may be exposed to, why would they. The concept of insurance is spreading out the risk over the pool size to affect the individual rates.

Most employers went from upwards of covering 70% of an employees premium down to 30% over the last 15 years because of spiraling cost of health care, and they were doing that participating in very narrow networks where the employee was forced to pick up more of the cost for care covered by those plans.

As an expense Health Care premiums are second only to labor cost typically in big or small organization, and those are expenses that have been the most difficult to get a handle on and directly affect profitability. How ever, all operations aren't equal and in those situations where workers can be turned over rather easy and don't require a lot of skills, is it worth the cost of insuring them?

I'm of the mind that it's not my responsibility to insure you and your family, especially if your task isn't critical to my bottom line and your effort can be easily replaced in a tight jobs market. As a small business it's cheaper to discontinue the program and the administrative expense required to maintenance that function.

Like you said some are in business to earn a profit not cure social ills and provide access to health care.
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Over half of all Americans are employed by small businesses.
Larger pools result in cheaper insurance. I doubt you have the slightest idea what it costs an employer, per year, to insure an employee.
If you're a small company, it costs even more per employee.
You base your assumptions on the ill informed idea that everybody who is an employer is swimming in profit and getting rich off the backs of their employees, and that simply isn't true. Many employers don't provide insurance simply because they can't afford to. Period.
If my employer drops our insurance next year and we have to purchase our own, even with the subsidy, I know exactly what it costs my employer now, because I'm the book keeper, and I can tell you, without a doubt, that it will cost us considerably more than it is now.
Why don't you quit talking about ideals and try dealing with facts? They're not that hard to find.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#88 Dec 26, 2013
35 Year union member of two different locals, engineers and carpenters......... wouldn't have it any other way. However, I will take non union and government work in different states in the mid Atlantic region.

When you pay peanuts you get monkeys. You can't look to have well skilled contributors representing your organization if you're not going to compensate them well to make sacrifices and the little extra necessary to separate your work from your competitors.

I've taken jobs where I don't earn a dime to keep essential workers comfortable. But when I need the work of 10 men done and only have 6, that jobs and the qualify gets completed on time and within the budget.
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Employers are not like the government, who just takes the money they need from someone else and don't worry about a balance sheet. They actually have to earn that money, and if the cost of doing business exceeds profits...they go out of business.
Secondly, if low skilled employees should get $15.00 an hour, how much more do the higher skilled employees get? Are we going to raise everyone's salary by $12,000 a year? Sure, that'll create jobs.
Your entitlement mindset is scary. You work for a union, don't you?
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#89 Dec 26, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
We have free community college here and have had. Your claim about Reagan is just another lie.
Well you live in a shyt state where education is not a common interest and career opportunities are limited..
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#90 Dec 26, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
ObamaCare is said to leave out 30 million. What's the point? Where are the people you claim don't have health insurance.
That would be speculation and have no base in fact.

But 30 Million could then go into the exchange if their income were qualifying incomes to purchase a policy at competitive rates and may solicit a subsidy for doing so. There are no restrictions or discrimination for prior illness and health complications.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#91 Dec 26, 2013
Tis amounts to a Fool's ramble.......... Trillions spent?????

Obama requested on Stimulus in the Amount of approx 800 Billion, you characterizes as trillions, the first lie.......... of the 800 Billion $500 billion of that stimulus was small business and middle class wage earners tax cuts. He spent another $250 Billion on roads and bridges throughout the country, not nearly enough but enough to reverse the drastic Bush job loss that mushroomed unemployment to 10%

Since that Stimulus kicked in, the S&P index has gained 145%, in the republican obstruction and cuts designed to prolong joblessness, there have been well over 6 Million jobs added to the economy and steady yet sluggish growth.

Under any scenario the economy and job growth is miles better than the situation the Republicans and George Bush left America in in Jan 2009 when the bus was turned upside down and left in a ditch.
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>What you say, assuming you are correct is Obama's fault. His get out of recession by spending trillions more didn't work. There are still millions that had jobs that don't today due to his ideology of Marxism. With so many out of work, the wages naturally drop due to supply and demand. When you have an idiot driving the bus, your not likely to reach your destination.
Evilmonger

Evansville, IN

#92 Dec 26, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
less than 35% of the 156 Million in the American workforce have college degrees. Still having a college degree in America doesn't guarantee career success and relieves an individual of years of training to become adequate in their profession.
Colleges are useless when the high schools are turning out illiterates. I am a high-technology machinist who runs production lines where about 20 machines all have to work together. My company trains people incessantly; the problem is that we are getting people with diplomas that cannot pass the little math test required to get an application. There is no way to do such a job without basic and intermediate math because it's all about tolerances that cannot even be seen with the naked eye. We cannot take a chance on those people because our main customer allows us only 4 bad parts per million shipped to them. If they have to shut down their assembly plant because of us, our company gets fined hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#93 Dec 26, 2013
Evilmonger wrote:
<quoted text> Colleges are useless when the high schools are turning out illiterates. I am a high-technology machinist who runs production lines where about 20 machines all have to work together. My company trains people incessantly; the problem is that we are getting people with diplomas that cannot pass the little math test required to get an application. There is no way to do such a job without basic and intermediate math because it's all about tolerances that cannot even be seen with the naked eye. We cannot take a chance on those people because our main customer allows us only 4 bad parts per million shipped to them. If they have to shut down their assembly plant because of us, our company gets fined hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour.
good point.....hi tech companies should not be hiring those illiterates, they should all go to work for the Obama government, no talent required there.
spoko

Oakland, CA

#94 Dec 26, 2013
Evilmonger wrote:
<quoted text> You are living in a dream world. Given the choice of turning over all that money to the employee or making the bottom line look better, and maybe getting a bonus, which do you think they will choose? I think we all know the answer, and it's even more obvious in the current job market. Obamacare was not designed to provide a working health care model; it was designed to destroy the system and stampede people towards supporting single-payer funded through income taxes, primarily on the rich. Obviously, envious liberals will support this, no matter what the cost is to the average person: "you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs". People will die as part of the necessary cost of making believe that low-skilled workers have some "right" to all the amenties of life. We have high-school graduates who can't make change for a dollar, but they sure can whine for a living.
Huh? And you would know that how? Don't you pathetic little wingnutz morons ever get tired of making up bull crap!?
Evilmonger

Evansville, IN

#95 Dec 26, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
good point.....hi tech companies should not be hiring those illiterates, they should all go to work for the Obama government, no talent required there.
Our high school graduates are strictly held to very high standards because there is no way of getting around it. Government may like to apply standards to everyone else, but God forbid any be applied to them.
spoko

Oakland, CA

#96 Dec 26, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... you'd certainly qualify ye moron!:-)
spoko

Oakland, CA

#97 Dec 26, 2013
Evilmonger wrote:
<quoted text> Colleges are useless when the high schools are turning out illiterates. I am a high-technology machinist who runs production lines where about 20 machines all have to work together. My company trains people incessantly; the problem is that we are getting people with diplomas that cannot pass the little math test required to get an application. There is no way to do such a job without basic and intermediate math because it's all about tolerances that cannot even be seen with the naked eye. We cannot take a chance on those people because our main customer allows us only 4 bad parts per million shipped to them. If they have to shut down their assembly plant because of us, our company gets fined hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour.
Illiterates getting into colleges? No one ever accused you of being the brightest bulb in the chandelier eh?
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#98 Dec 26, 2013
You're in Indiana, you have Purdue, and other Big 10 universities as a recruiting tool with more than enough qualified engineering students.

There doesn't appear to be a reason other than maybe salary that finding suitable and capable technology qualified recruits should be a problem.
Evilmonger wrote:
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#99 Dec 26, 2013
Evilmonger wrote:
<quoted text> Our high school graduates are strictly held to very high standards because there is no way of getting around it. Government may like to apply standards to everyone else, but God forbid any be applied to them.
High Schools used to be dedicated, well some to Vo-Tech Training. Running lathes and presses was a common shop class offering some kids journeymen licenses upon graduation. Why doesn't you employer work with the local school board to institute a training program as a feeder program for his operations?

Alpharetta, GA

#100 Dec 26, 2013
spoko wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ... you'd certainly qualify ye moron!:-)
I'm not a m oron, I'm an Idiot Savant....big diff

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#101 Dec 26, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, you really need those hi-tech peolpe to fix your broken down doublewide.

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#103 Dec 26, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
imagine that
And you make all your money swallowing as much Kock Bros jizz as you can fit in that dumbass teabagging head of yours.
Evilmonger

Evansville, IN

#104 Dec 26, 2013
spoko wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? And you would know that how? Don't you pathetic little wingnutz morons ever get tired of making up bull crap!?
Are lefties so stupid as to think someone will give up a bonus when it's so easy not to? Keep slinging those fries and dreaming of $15/hr!

Alpharetta, GA

#105 Dec 26, 2013
Mykro wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, you really need those hi-tech peolpe to fix your broken down doublewide.
it don't require much maintenance, just a little cardboard over the broken winders. And ever now and then, an extra brick or two to git it back leveled up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GOP head calls Brewer 'Judas' over Medicaid plan (Mar '13) 12 hr Swedenforever 4
401(h) plans Oct 17 TJ Smith 1
Consumer Sentiment: Cheaper Gasoline Seems to T... Oct 17 Jeff Brightone 1
Retreat is 14th largest mental health provider ... Oct 10 PMG_Agency 11
Survey: Many U.S. adults support equal healthca... Oct 10 Guess Who 3
Health insurance Oct 10 CarsonMisek 2
Ontario, 2 other provinces still don't cover ap... Oct 8 Terence 1

Health Insurance People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE