If Health Law Is Overturned, What Will Liberals Do?

Mar 28, 2012 Read more: thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com 4,941

If the Supreme Court strikes down all or part of President Obama 's health care law , it will have unraveled a legislative compromise that many liberals had viewed with suspicion from the beginning.

In one of the ironies of recent politics, Mr. Obama was a late convert to the merits of the individual mandate that now appears to be in danger of being declared unconstitutional.

But the president’s embrace of the mandate — and his willingness to abandon a so-called public option to get a health care deal — was a hard pill to swallow for many of his Democratic supporters.

The Affordable Care Act promises to provide health insurance to millions who lacked it. But it also stops far short of the idea that health care is a basic right for everyone living in the country. And it embraces the market-based system of private health care delivery that has long existed in America.

Read more

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5342 Dec 28, 2012
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
A couple of quick points here, I believe it was always on the agenda that the republicans would not sign off on the fiscal cliff. Most of the commentators predicted that on the basis of this stupid tea party influence which has made the republican party dysfunctional now. In otherwords all this crap that Fox carries on about with commie Europe, well your government is doing exactly the same thing. NOT GOVERNING! So if you do jump the fiscal cliff this will also be another BIG hit to the world economy. So its a hit for all of us, not just the USA and who is to blame, those good ole boys once again. the GOP who have morphed into America's version of the Taliban.
So yes my money is sitting doing nothing, its not back in the stockmarket yet because you guys can't get your act together.
But I was glad Obama got elected only because this failed model of low taxes and get rich quick schemes brought the whole world economy to a grinding halt. That had to stop, and Obama was the only one out of a poor selection of canidates that might have a chance of doing it. Had the Republicans gone with someone like Christie he might have been ok as well. All you need is someone who has an idea and run with it. Not someone who is told what to do, Romney had too many keepers he was not passionate about anything.
Actually Romney was passionate about one thing: tax breaks for the rich.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5344 Jan 11, 2013
I don't know about your pole shift, but it seems to me we are burning up down here. Hottest summer that I can remember and there are fires everywhere. All of which will not improve the planet's the CO2 loading one bit.

UK story
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/...

Take a look at some of those weather pics.
http://www.climatecentral.org/blogs/more-on-a...
Gershom

Australia

#5346 Jan 12, 2013
yeah

Location hidden

#5348 Jan 15, 2013
So much for the pole shift. Even black smoke coming from fires and exhaust is warming us up now.

"The sooty particles that make up black carbon can be a major component of urban air pollution like that now blanketing Beijing, said Durwood Zaelke, president of the Washington-based non-profit Institute for Governance and Sustainable Development and a reviewer of the study before its publication."

"Black carbon is not only more important for climate than we thought, it also kills over a million people every year who contract deadly respiratory diseases by breathing air polluted by black carbon," Zaelke said in a statement."

http://www.environmentalleader.com/2013/01/15...

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-cha...
churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5349 Jan 16, 2013
Well the fiscal cliff deal was a big letdown. more of the same old failed agenda spending money that the goverment dont have.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5351 Feb 1, 2013
Australia - Shock is turning to anger across Queensland's flood-ravaged communities as authorities struggle to meet the needs of tens of thousands disaster victims. Heated scenes unfolded in devastated Bundaberg after police overruled a council plan to let residents back into the city's north to see what's left of their homes. Residents reacted furiously despite being told it was for their own safety.
Water police have been tasked with guarding the Burnett River in case locals attempt to cross over by boat. Police were stationed at the council chambers after residents were told they would remain locked out of the disaster zone. Police said there was simply no choice, with safety inspections still not complete. But it's hoped residents may start returning from 6am (AEST) Saturday.
"It's a scene of utter devastation. Houses are not there anymore. There's roads that are not there anymore." Dead cats and dogs litter the streets, houses have been washed from their foundations and one home is missing entirely with no clue to its final resting place.
The devastation caused by ex-tropical cyclone Oswald continues to grow. At Biggenden, between Gayndah and Bundaberg, floodwaters have spread years of rubbish build-up from a local dump across 1000 hectares of grazing land. "It's an environmental disaster." The army finally arrived in the town of Munduberra, west of Gayndah, on Friday morning - four days after flood levels there peaked, flooding 100 homes and businesses in the town and the same number in outlying areas.
In North Burnett, many homes had been flooded to their roofs, and a couple of houses had been split in half and partly washed away by the force of the water. Local people, many of whom were elderly, were worn out after having been hit by floods only two years ago. They'd quietly hoped for immediate help, but it didn't come. The premier said he understood people were angry, but with a disaster so broad, affecting so many communities, authorities were doing their best. "There is an enormous amount that has been going on and an enormous amount of damage to sort out."
The damage bill from the disaster is certain to climb into the billions, with infrastructure smashed, farms ruined, and so many homes and businesses across the state damaged or destroyed. An early estimate of farming losses alone has been put at $100 million. The Queensland Farmers' Federation says everyone from pig and dairy farmers to sugarcane and citrus growers urgently needs access to the highest levels of disaster assistance.
--------- Now OZ are you ready to wake up and acknowlege that end of an age earth change is real? And admit its not caused by or ever could be mitigated by mans puny activities?

Location hidden

#5353 Feb 1, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
Australia - Shock is turning to anger across Queensland's flood-ravaged communities as authorities struggle to meet the needs of tens of thousands disaster victims........
--------- Now OZ are you ready to wake up and acknowlege that end of an age earth change is real? And admit its not caused by or ever could be mitigated by mans puny activities?
All I know is the country was almost burning across 3 states with bushfires from the heat a month ago and now it's flooded. If we eliminate man from the equation there is no hope, it's better to go with what we can change than what we can't. That was the whole idea behind climate change action.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5354 Feb 2, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
All I know is the country was almost burning across 3 states with bushfires from the heat a month ago and now it's flooded. If we eliminate man from the equation there is no hope, it's better to go with what we can change than what we can't. That was the whole idea behind climate change action.
And it was not factual It was just a Idea and a carbon credit trading myth scam. Earth change events happen at regular intervals. Mans puny activities are insignificant. there where great clatyclismic eart changes long befor man and his burning of fossil fuels. Check out The Extinction Protocol website for lots of news you wont find on the TV. S--T is fixing to hit the fan.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5355 Feb 2, 2013
February 2, 2013 – AUSTRIA – A 4.5-magnitude quake shook southern Austria on Saturday, the country’s ZAMG meteorological and geodynamic institute said, but it was not immediately clear whether it had caused any damage. The quake struck at 14:35 pm (1335 GMT) and “was strongly felt” in the Karavanke mountain range bordering Slovenia, near Eisenkappel in Austria’s southern state of Carinthia, the centre said. About two months ago, an earthquake measuring a magnitude of 4.3 on the Richter scale hit the Slovenian side of the Karavanke mountain range, some 25 kilometers (15 miles) southwest of the Austrian border. In the year 2000, Austria’s eastern provinces and its capital Vienna were shaken by the strongest earthquake in 20 years, Austrian television reported. The quake, which measured 4.8 on the Richter scale, caused minor damage to buildings in the provinces of Lower Austria and Burgenland. The epicenter was in the Lower Austrian town of Ebreichsdorf, some 20 km (13 miles) south of Vienna. –Global Post People’s Daily
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5356 Feb 4, 2013
Australia - A temporary village is being built in Bundaberg to house people whose homes have been ravaged by destructive floods. The 300-bed village is being built at the city's showgrounds and it's hoped to be opened within the next couple of days. The village will provide a more comfortable existence for hundreds of residents who remain in evacuation centres in the wake of the disaster.
Authorities have so far assessed 3670 flood-damaged houses in Bundaberg, with 38 houses rated as unliveable. Another 356 have been rated as severely damaged with 784 listed as having medium damage with floodwaters rising above power points. Residents were finally allowed to return to their homes at the weekend. Entire homes were swept from their stumps and truck-sized sinkholes have opened up in some roads.
As Bundaberg begins the long road to recovery, the same process is playing out at other flood-ravaged communities across the state. The army is on its way to help isolated communities between Bundaberg and Gladstone, including Baffle Creek, Lowmead and Rosedale. In Baffle Creek, "The tavern has water over the roof. Homes that have never seen floodwaters through the floor have had floodwaters above the window sills."
Roads linking towns with Bundaberg have also suffered severe damage. On the western Darling Downs, inland from Brisbane, floodwaters are tormenting locals, rising and falling ahead of an expected peak sometime on Tuesday. The Condamine River, in Condamine, is currently at 10.3 metres and slowly dropping but it's expected to reach 11.7 metres on Tuesday. And floodwaters are expected to remain high until late this week, leaving many residents isolated.----- It look,s like OZ is having more then its share of problems. Why not make preps just im case im correct and this is indeed a end of an age pole shift. Its possible its not caused by mans activities and cant be mitigated.

Location hidden

#5357 Feb 4, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
Australia - A temporary village is being built in Bundaberg to house people whose homes have been ravaged by destructive floods..----- It look,s like OZ is having more then its share of problems. Why not make preps just im case im correct and this is indeed a end of an age pole shift. Its possible its not caused by mans activities and cant be mitigated.
Because if you live in fear of an unknown enemy then you may as well put a gun to your head. Climate change action put a face on something positive we could all do something about and in the end if it made no difference at least we would feel good along the way doing it. That is the big difference between you guys on the right side of politics is that there is always something to fear. So you gear your life around having the enemy at the gate. Be it Obama, communism,religion, ideology, science or just plain common sense. This is not living, its a life of paranoia. If I want to enjoy my twilight years then i'm going to always live it like there is a better tomorrow then at least i will die happy. In otherwords I want to be on vacation somewhere throwing a line in or teeing up a golf ball when the asteroid hits rather than being bunkered up waiting. That is what true liberal's are about.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5359 Feb 4, 2013
OzRitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Because if you live in fear of an unknown enemy then you may as well put a gun to your head. Climate change action put a face on something positive we could all do something about and in the end if it made no difference at least we would feel good along the way doing it. That is the big difference between you guys on the right side of politics is that there is always something to fear. So you gear your life around having the enemy at the gate. Be it Obama, communism,religion, ideology, science or just plain common sense. This is not living, its a life of paranoia. If I want to enjoy my twilight years then i'm going to always live it like there is a better tomorrow then at least i will die happy. In otherwords I want to be on vacation somewhere throwing a line in or teeing up a golf ball when the asteroid hits rather than being bunkered up waiting. That is what true liberal's are about.
You seem kinda like a ostrich with its head buried in the sand. the trouble is the earth change isnt a one time anomoly. its happened at regular intervals. and its not the end of mankind its a new beginning. its a very exciting time to be incarnated upon the earth. I prefer to educate myself and learn all I can about it. I will embrace the new adventure. I hoping to help my grandchildren and other young folks survive the coming clatyclisms . You on the other hand seen to be totally decidated to a service to self orientation. its not fear or paranoria that drives me its seeing the big picture and the good I might accomplish. But you go ahead and be a greedy sheele and do and think as you want. your the one who will have to live with the results. those folks who flooded out did you do anything to make their situation better?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5360 Feb 6, 2013
February 6, 2013 – SOLOMON ISLANDS - Several people were killed when tsunami waves generated by a major earthquake slammed into the Solomon Islands, damaging villages, as warnings were triggered across the Pacific. At least five people died after the 8.0 magnitude quake struck near the remote Santa Cruz Islands in the Solomons at a depth of 28.7km. Two powerful aftershocks of 6.4 and 6.6 magnitude were also recorded.“We can report five dead and three injured. One of the dead was a male child, three were elderly women and one an elderly man,” said Chris Rogers, a registered nurse at Lata Hospital in the Santa Cruz Islands. Local officials reported two 1.5-metre waves hit the western side of Santa Cruz Island, damaging between 60 and 70 homes in at least four villages, said George Herming, a spokesman for the prime minister.“At this stage, authorities are still trying to establish the exact number and extent of damage. Communication to Santa Cruz Island is difficult due to the remoteness of the island,” he said. It was not immediately apparent whether all the victims died in the tsunami. Two of the four villages on Santa Cruz suffered severe damage, said Solomon Islands Police Commissioner John Lansley. Other areas of the Solomons did not appear to have been seriously affected. Solomon Islands Red Cross secretary general Joanne Zoleveke said she had been told at least three villages were hit.“In the Solomon Islands when we talk about villages there can be anything from 10 to 30 houses,” she said.“We have received a lot of information about houses washed away but we haven’t heard about any deaths as yet. That is what we are waiting for.” Earthquake monitoring agencies earlier said a wave measuring about a metre had been recorded at Lata on Santa Cruz, the main island in the eastern Temotu province, which has a population of about 10,000. Vanuatu and New Caledonia also reported rising sea levels, before a region-wide tsunami alert was lifted. Locals in the Solomons capital Honiara, 580 kilometres from the epicentre, said earlier the quake was not felt there but some villages had been destroyed, according to a hospital director.“The information we are getting is that some villages west and south of Lata along the coast have been destroyed, although we cannot confirm this yet,” the director at Lata Hospital said. Richard Dapo, a school principal on an island near Santa Cruz, said he lives inland but has been fielding calls from families on the coast whose homes have been damaged by the waves.“I try to tell the people living on the coastline,‘Move inland, find a higher place. Make sure to keep away from the sea. Watch out for waves,”’ he said. He said he’d heard the waves had swamped some smaller islands, although he was not aware of any deaths or serious injuries at this point. He said it was difficult to contact people because cell phone coverage is patchy in the region. In the Solomons capital of Honiara, tsunami warnings prompted residents to flee for higher ground, while ships also moved to open water to avoid potential waves.“People are still standing on the hills outside of Honiara just looking out over the water, trying to observe if there is a wave coming in,” Mr Herming said earlier. The tsunami warnings prompted warnings in nations as far away as Fiji for residents to evacuate to higher ground. Sirens were heard in Fiji while the alert remained in place, locals said.“Chaos in the streets of Suva as everyone tries to avoid the tsunami!!” tweeted Ratu Nemani Tebana from the Fiji capital Suva. The tsunami warning was initially issued for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, and Wallis and Futuna. New Zealand was also on guard but monitors said there was no threat to Australia. The tsunami warnings were later cancelled.-Australian

Location hidden

#5361 Feb 8, 2013
Well you guys are getting buried in snow same as Europe last year and we are supposed to keep accepting this as NORMAL weather in part of the cycle. Pole shifts might effect some things but not the weather. All this crap we are dealing with right now getting extreme winters and summers were all part of the modeling with climate change which those on the right refuse to acknowledge. Point is we could have done something about it and now it's too damn late. Its advanced well beyond the worst modeling predictions before man's action might have addressed it.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5362 Feb 8, 2013
The pole shift does indeed effect the weather. it changes the jetstream. The jet stream indeed drives the weather. Your totally wrong to believe this is caused by mans puny activities. Or to think man could have prevented or mitigated it. Nostradmus predicted it. The bible predicted it. edgar cayce predicted it. the pole shifted during the time of the EXIDOUS. Wake up quit being a sheeple. Admit you where and likely still are gullible and believed in the Prophet Al Gore and the glowbull warming greenies. And here in NE arkansas we are having a typical feburary. However we are having mild earthquakes & unexplaned booming noises . The New Madrid might go off. I prefer to embrace the new adventure.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5363 Feb 8, 2013
Michigan Republican governor Snyder backs Medicaid expansion

By Mary Wisniewski

Wed Feb 6, 2013

(Reuters)- Michigan Governor Rick Snyder on Wednesday endorsed an expansion of health coverage for the poor under President Barack Obama's reform law, joining five other Republican governors who have agreed to widen the Medicaid program in their states.

Snyder made his announcement at a hospital in the state capitol of Lansing.

"This makes sense for the physical and fiscal health of Michigan," Snyder said in a statement.

He said the move will add 320,000 state residents in the first year, and more than 470,000 by 2021, cutting the number of Michigan uninsured almost in half.

Snyder joins fellow Republican Governor John Kasich of Ohio, who made his Medicaid expansion announcement on Monday. The Republican governors of Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and North Dakota had previously said they would expand the program.

It also follows new assurances that the Obama administration will defend federal funding for the program in upcoming deficit reduction talks with Congress.

Snyder is expected to unveil his budget for fiscal 2014, including the Medicaid program changes, on Thursday.

Obama's Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act calls on states to expand Medicaid to most Americans earning up to 133 percent of the poverty line. The expansion would revolutionize the program, which in many states is now limited mainly to children, pregnant women and the very old. Under the reform law, Washington would fund more than 90 percent of the expansion.

Analysts say pressure on states from local healthcare industries, combined with a new Republican interest in appealing to minority voters in the wake of Obama's re-election, has nudged some governors toward acceptance.

Ron Pollack of Families USA, a Washington-based consumer healthcare advocacy group, said the decision by Michigan and Ohio's governors will provided health coverage to "well over a million uninsured people."

"It is also indicative of an inevitable movement that will ultimately result in Medicaid expansions in all states across the country," Pollack said.

The Medicaid expansion is intended to bring 16 million uninsured people into the $2.8 trillion U.S. healthcare system. But many states, which would pay less than 10 percent of the cost under the law, have balked at the potential budget impact or rejected the prospect of participating in a new government program.

Since Obama's re-election, at least 10 governors have chosen to support the Medicaid expansion, including six Republican governors. Five Republicans have chosen to oppose it.

Another 14 governors, 12 Republicans and two Democrats, remain undecided, but experts say many are likely to reach decisions in the coming weeks as they propose new budgets for the fiscal year beginning July 1.

Snyder was joined at the announcement by business, consumer and human service groups, including the Michigan Health & Hospital Association and the state's Small Business Association.

Snyder said more than $20 billion will come into Michigan through 2023 by leveraging federal funds made available through the Affordable Care Act, and that the state's General Fund will see $1.2 billion in savings through 2020.

"The bottom line is that expanding eligibility for coverage in the state's Medicaid Program will save lives, save money and lead to a healthier population," said Kim Sibilsky, executive director of the Michigan Primary Care Association.

Michigan House Speaker Jase Bolger, a Republican, said in a statement he remained "cautious and concerned" on behalf of taxpayers regarding the Medicaid expansion.

"The federal government has a history of working with states to start long-term programs while providing only short-term funding, and then sticking state taxpayers with the future financial liability that program creates," Bolger said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/us-...
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5364 Feb 12, 2013
A growing number of scientists are starting to worry that it is the magnetic pole shift that seems to be underway that is the real culprit behind climate change. Not man made air pollution, not the sun, not the underground volcanic activity heating up the oceans, but the slow beginning of a pole shift that has been thought to destroy entire civilizations in the past and be one major factor in mass extinctions. NASA recently discovered and released information about a major breach in the earth’s magnetic field.

This breach in the earth/s magnetic field alone, in that it is allowing solar winds to enter the earths atmosphere, is sufficient to really mess up the weather. Not only is this accelerating magnetic pole shift messing up the weather it is having major effects on geopolitics. These magnetic shifts are not only capable of causing massive global super storms, but can cause certain societies, cultures and whole countries to collapse, even go to war with one another.

All yet remains to be seen, but the magnetic reversal of the earth’s poles seems to be rapidly increasing and IS affecting world weather patterns. The real question is how bad will things get before it all settles backdown to a “new normal?” At one time in history it was thought the North Pole was in the area that is now known as Hudson Bay. If the Hudson Bay area was the last locatoin of the North Pole, where will it go next? And how bad will global super storms and climate change get before it is over? And can we stop blaming each other for causing this and work together to survive it and keep civilization in tact?

Location hidden

#5365 Feb 13, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
Michigan Republican governor Snyder backs Medicaid expansion
Eventually all of the states will come aboard. This is one of the oddities of our federalist system. I remember in the 1970s how Arizona, the last holdout against food stamps, eventually got dragged into the future by inertia.
Stories like this are only remarkable because of the Herculean effort the Republicans undertook to try and stop HCR. It's going to become another "Third Rail" like Social Security - the opposition to it is going to continue to look more and more ridiculous.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#5366 Feb 13, 2013
The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually all of the states will come aboard. This is one of the oddities of our federalist system. I remember in the 1970s how Arizona, the last holdout against food stamps, eventually got dragged into the future by inertia.
Stories like this are only remarkable because of the Herculean effort the Republicans undertook to try and stop HCR. It's going to become another "Third Rail" like Social Security - the opposition to it is going to continue to look more and more ridiculous.
Social security is a Ponzi scheme thats going broke. The health care is causing job losses as many employers reduce their workforce to less than 50 full time employees. health care act is just another parasitic burden on the productive makers. The parasitic takers are to nemerious and we have too few producing makers. The USA is in decline.

Location hidden

#5367 Feb 13, 2013
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Social security is a Ponzi scheme thats going broke. The health care is causing job losses as many employers reduce their workforce to less than 50 full time employees. health care act is just another parasitic burden on the productive makers. The parasitic takers are to nemerious and we have too few producing makers. The USA is in decline.
All nothing but Faux News Boolsheeeyit. Soc Sec is doing fine.

The only parasites are the wastrel children of the rich.

The USA is doing so much better now than when scumbags like you think it was better. The betterness you remember was predicated on the oppression of minorities, women, and the poor. In other words, what you remember as good was crap for a huge portion of your fellow Americans. That's over, and it's better. Deal with it. Your white male privileges have been cancelled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News For next president, is there a way out of the h... 8 hr Go Blue Forever 21
CA Medi-Cal Question 22 hr Joe Medi-Cal 1
Insurance Marketing in 2015: Tell Us What You T... Apr 16 dnelson 1
Health Insurance Apr 13 Travis Simons 1
News Survey: Nearly 9 in 10 US adults now have healt... Apr 13 radiofreeamerica 3
News Brien Center Employees Protest Contract Wage... Apr 11 Jon Dinerstein 16
News Aetna aims for LGBT community with targeted mar... Apr 7 Abrahammock Regions 1
More from around the web