Uninsured since 1996, South Haven cou...

Uninsured since 1996, South Haven couple cheer Obamacare

There are 9 comments on the MLive.com story from Feb 7, 2014, titled Uninsured since 1996, South Haven couple cheer Obamacare. In it, MLive.com reports that:

Chip Harris gets teary when he talks about the Affordable Care Act , which has allowed him and his wife, Dolly, to get insurance after 18 years without coverage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Golddust Woman

Fennville, MI

#1 Mar 3, 2014
Great to hear stories like this instead of the crap ads paid for by the Koch Bros. that are on TV all the time.
Definitely Not Nuts

South Haven, MI

#2 Mar 3, 2014
south haven hospital just laid off 19 people due to obamacare, and will no longer deliver babies.
story on front page of sunday's South Haven Tribune
Golddust Woman

Fennville, MI

#3 Mar 3, 2014
I saw that. Kal. Gazette had a different version. Said Hosp. administrators said it was closed because it wasn't profitable.
Definitely Not Nuts

South Haven, MI

#4 Mar 3, 2014
OK, you don't believe the comments made by hospital administrators to the South Haven Tribune?
Here's another media report on the closing of the birthing center, from News 3:

"Administrators say the Affordable Care Act has reduced funding."

So two out of three reports say Obamacare was a factor.
Yes, it was closed because it wasn't profitable.
But dig deeper and discover why.
Golddust Woman

Fennville, MI

#5 Mar 4, 2014
Chill out will ya. I was just pointing out there was another version.
Winner

Fort Myers, FL

#6 Mar 4, 2014
Definitely Not Nuts wrote:
OK, you don't believe the comments made by hospital administrators to the South Haven Tribune?
Here's another media report on the closing of the birthing center, from News 3:
"Administrators say the Affordable Care Act has reduced funding."
So two out of three reports say Obamacare was a factor.
Yes, it was closed because it wasn't profitable.
But dig deeper and discover why.
People like you are NUTS!
south haven fan

South Haven, MI

#7 Mar 5, 2014
Dear Nuts. It is called the Affordable Care Act because it does reduce payouts. However, if you read the articles closely, you will see the two main reasons were that South Haven Hospital could not compete for the clients that had good healthcare. They chose to go to Holland and Kalamazoo because they believed those hospitals were a better choice. That left SH with medicaid patients that pay a set fee. SH hospital is poorly managed, and could not make a profit with these patients. Other local hospitals do make a profit because their administrators are better equipped to run a hospital in these changing times. Don't look at Washington for this problem, go visit the offices at SH hospital. By the way, I believe our care givers are every bit as good as other hospitals, but I believe the CEO and her staff are in over their heads at SH hospital. They couldn't reach the profit margin they wanted so they said, tough luck south haven.
Definitely Not Nuts

South Haven, MI

#8 Mar 5, 2014
hope and change and stuff. yeah.
layoffs?
don't believe it.
like harry reid said last week, all horror stories about Obamacare are lies.
Definitely Not Nuts

South Haven, MI

#9 Mar 5, 2014
south haven fan -
i appreciate your thoughtful comments. it is definitely a complicated set of factors that went into the decision, but some people don't believe it had anything to do with Obamacare....it clearly was a factor. that's all i have been trying to say. the first comment on this string just got to me, and i had to respond. sorry to be so snarky.

this is my last posting on this site (i hear the roar of applause!!), i''m going somewhere warmer!

good luck, y'all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why California wants health insurance for undoc... Sat Wildchild 1
News California Aims To Limit Surprise Medical Bills Sep 18 ENGINEERED EQUALITY 8
News Gov't survey confirms slowdown in US health ins... Sep 17 Ronald 5
News Top official says health law's insurance market... Sep 16 ANOTHER CHASM 5
News Lawmakers unveil California health plan tax pro... (Feb '16) Sep 16 putrify 8
News Health care system is ailing (Feb '16) Sep 6 BUYER BEWARE 2
News Al Franken: Health reform has made a difference... (Sep '10) Aug 29 OINK MOMBACH 246
More from around the web