Spinning Obamacare success

Spinning Obamacare success

There are 418 comments on the The Washington Post story from Apr 22, 2014, titled Spinning Obamacare success. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

The Fact Checker was on break last week, but did manage to pass a TV set that aired images of the president's announcement on April 17 that 8 million people had signed up for health insurance on the Affordable Care Act exchanges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

foster

Ashburn, VA

#396 May 12, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people plenty happy with Commie Care. Mostly it's the people that didn't have anything before because they didn't work for anything before. Of course they are a minority.
A personal example is one of my tenants. When I made a snide remark about Commie Care, she said I can criticize all I want, but thanks to Commie Care, she now has health insurance.
My tenant works at Pizza Hut. She and her live in BF both work fast food jobs. They smoke pot and can't get a good paying job because they wouldn't be able to pass the drug test. I don't think either of them work near 40 hours a week.
In the meantime, I lost my insurance through work. My employer couldn't keep up with the ridiculous premium increases every year. So thanks to Commie Care, my pot smoking minimum wage tenant has healthcare and I don't.
Bottom line: the plot is working as planned. It takes away from responsible working people that tend to vote Republican, and gives to the irresponsible people that tend to vote Democrat.
Your Tenant in Ohio working low income can afford insurance, why cant you? Ohio didn't expand medicaid
foster

Ashburn, VA

#397 May 12, 2014
Ohio refused the extra financial help. Your State Legislators have a better Health Care Plan for Ohio Citizens. Why else would they refuse funds from the Feds to expand coverage for citizens? The pizza hut lady purchased a plan on the health care exchange and you earn more than she does. You qualify for a discount purchasing from a private insurer if you earn under $42K a year. Sounds like you do.
xxxrayted

Berea, OH

#398 May 12, 2014
foster wrote:
Ohio refused the extra financial help. Your State Legislators have a better Health Care Plan for Ohio Citizens. Why else would they refuse funds from the Feds to expand coverage for citizens? The pizza hut lady purchased a plan on the health care exchange and you earn more than she does. You qualify for a discount purchasing from a private insurer if you earn under $42K a year. Sounds like you do.
My tenant is also 21 and I am 54. Big difference.

The cheapest plan I found was $350.00 a month on the Commie Care site. It was a pure junk plan with a $6,000 deductible and didn't even cover the institution I've been getting my care since I was a baby.

The next plan up was closer to $500.00 per month, and it wasn't even a good plan. It had an $1,800 deductible and I didn't bother to check what institutions or doctors it covered since I couldn't afford it anyway.

The less you make, the more taxpayers have to pay to subsidize your insurance plan.

The best plan I can think of is if we never had any kind of Democrat leadership. That way I would still have my insurance plan through work and the Republicans would rather reward the responsible people in our country instead of the Democrat way which is to punish the responsible and reward the irresponsible.
xxxrayted

Berea, OH

#399 May 12, 2014
Aprilvue wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked for his bogus numbers. The ONLY source was a far left BLOG. That’s right, an opinion piece with the author’s lunatic math. Nary one source from the government. Even the liar in chief stayed away from that kind of whopper.
Hawaii and Minnesota exchanges are in deep trouble. Should they fail, that brings six BLUE states into the “not too big to fail” column for obamacare exchanges. Looks like those red states that saw the writing on the wall were quite on target.
What a nightmare.
I have a feeling it's going to get much worse. In Hawaii, it was an insurance CEO that recommended that the site be shut down. The insurance people were behind this since it was supposedly supposed to give them more customers.

We have to be careful though, the MSM is going to keep any negative news about Commie Care away from the people as much as possible.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#400 May 12, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people plenty happy with Commie Care. Mostly it's the people that didn't have anything before because they didn't work for anything before..
Had a very expensive health care plan for the last 10 years (personally paid for) and we signed on for a new plan in 2014 (personally paying for). Save money, save doctor and save peace of mind. Plenty happy.
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#401 May 12, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
I give up. Where are the success stories?.
Heard Cruzzie had a few success stories when he asked for stories on his facebook page. Lolll

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi...
Responsibility

Petaluma, CA

#402 May 12, 2014
Cat74 wrote:
I. They know what they had, and what they have now, and they talk about the differences..
Boy, the "had" was expensive, the "had" was cancelled, the "have now" is a saving, the "have now" is being paid and the "have now" is we keep our doctor.

The "differences" are the savings and the peace of mind and always happy to "talk about the differences"

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#404 May 12, 2014
Spin the fact six BLUE states exchanges are tanking. While your at it, come up with the silver lining for that half billion wasted so far, and the next half billion to fix it.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I would have liked my tax money going to save the eroding coastlines, or treat vets who are dying on waiting lists, or teaching civics in schools and returning education to the states (go Dreyfus!)
foster

Ashburn, VA

#405 May 12, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The cheapest plan I found was $350.00 a month on the Commie Care site. It was a pure junk plan with a $6,000 deductible and didn't even cover the institution I've been getting my care since I was a baby.
The next plan up was closer to $500.00 per month, and it wasn't even a good plan. It had an $1,800 deductible and I didn't bother to check what institutions or doctors it covered since I couldn't afford it anyway.
The less you make, the more taxpayers have to pay to subsidize your insurance plan.
The best plan I can think of is if we never had any kind of Democrat leadership. That way I would still have my insurance plan through work and the Republicans would rather reward the responsible people in our country instead of the Democrat way which is to punish the responsible and reward the irresponsible.
$350 a month pretty good for someone your age with a health condition in the individual market. Before ACA it was double that rate
foster

Ashburn, VA

#406 May 12, 2014
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, the "had" was expensive, the "had" was cancelled, the "have now" is a saving, the "have now" is being paid and the "have now" is we keep our doctor.
The "differences" are the savings and the peace of mind and always happy to "talk about the differences"
He thinks $350 to $500 a month for comprehensive coverage is expensive. He could not have paid his own insurance bill before ACA.$560 a month was a monthly premium 15 years ago in the individual market
xxxrayted

Berea, OH

#407 May 12, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
He thinks $350 to $500 a month for comprehensive coverage is expensive. He could not have paid his own insurance bill before ACA.$560 a month was a monthly premium 15 years ago in the individual market
You stumbled on a point and you didn't even know it.

Yes, individual plans are expensive and always were. That's one of the reasons group plans were so great. You got coverage for a hell of a lot cheaper than having an individual policy.

Secondly of course is you got your health insurance as a benefit. That means before taxes. Now you are taxed on the money first, and then have to spend it on an expensive plan. A total failure which is nothing more than we could expect from a Democrat administration.
xxxrayted

Berea, OH

#408 May 12, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
$350 a month pretty good for someone your age with a health condition in the individual market. Before ACA it was double that rate
Sure, it's great. And a vacation in Hawaii is only a couple of grand a year. Great if you have that couple of grand a year.

What good is a policy that I'll likely never use? If I'm going to pay cash for something, I want it to benefit me in some way, not spend over 4 grand a year and get nothing out of it.

Besides the 4 grand a year, I'll have to add to that the couple grand a year or more I pay out-of-pocket for the medical care I do get. That takes our total over 6 grand a year. Do you have an extra 6 grand a year to throw around?
Brad

Bolton, CT

#409 May 13, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, it's great. And a vacation in Hawaii is only a couple of grand a year. Great if you have that couple of grand a year.
What good is a policy that I'll likely never use? If I'm going to pay cash for something, I want it to benefit me in some way, not spend over 4 grand a year and get nothing out of it.
Besides the 4 grand a year, I'll have to add to that the couple grand a year or more I pay out-of-pocket for the medical care I do get. That takes our total over 6 grand a year. Do you have an extra 6 grand a year to throw around?
Its really quite simple.

More government,more problems.

The bigger they get,the more intrusive they become by nature.
foster

Ashburn, VA

#410 May 13, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
As a mid life blue collar wage earner you are living the nightmare realism of Republican policies from the last 35 years. What or why support policies that have squeezed the life out of you?
foster

Ashburn, VA

#411 May 13, 2014
Brad wrote:
<quoted text>
Its really quite simple.
More government,more problems.
The bigger they get,the more intrusive they become by nature.
America without respect for written laws is Argentina where the big fish eat the little fish and dark age like lords reign
foster

Ashburn, VA

#412 May 13, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You stumbled on a point and you didn't even know it.
Yes, individual plans are expensive and always were. That's one of the reasons group plans were so great. You got coverage for a hell of a lot cheaper than having an individual policy.
Secondly of course is you got your health insurance as a benefit. That means before taxes. Now you are taxed on the money first, and then have to spend it on an expensive plan. A total failure which is nothing more than we could expect from a Democrat administration.
No stumble. That is experience. My pension benefits were paid for over a 25 year career designed to leave me better off for my consistency and deductions.

“JESUS WOULD IMPEACH THE GOP!!!”

Since: May 09

Lake Success, N.Y.

#413 May 13, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Utter nonsense.

I've transferred my insurance to an ACA plan - I've retained Empire Blue Cross / Blue Shield, at 53 and a smoker, I bought a Silver plan, which covers 80% of all costs, with a $1500.00 deductible, and I make far too much to qualify for any subsidies.

My plan is $287.00 per month.

You're purposely misinforming people regarding this. All plans are more comprehensive than any other plans you could have previously purchased, but some things do require tweaking, such as maternity care, which I nor my wife obviously no longer require, and other minor tweaks as well.

Every plan prior to the implementation of the ACA had deductibles - much more exorbitant than now under law. and every plan also required far more detailed personal medical history information as well - this type of documentation is no longer required, as no insurance company can no longer discriminate against pre-existing conditions, which was the precise reason why PRIOR to the ACA, insurance companies MANDATED this information. To jack up prices, and to have the ability to kick you off in your most dire times of need.

A supposed trucker who now rents to pot heads and you bitch? Too bad they can't see (even though we all know you're full of shit - to many supposed entrepreneurs and well to do here to buy this BS) the shit you post about them.

Show them what you say about them, behind their backs. I dare you to do it!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#414 May 13, 2014
"Obamacare Exchanges Squander Taxpayer Dollars By The Boatload

Remember Cash for Clunkers? That program gave car buyers rebates of up to $4,500 if they traded in less fuel-efficient vehicles for new vehicles with better gas mileage. But because most of the vehicles garnering such rebates would have sold anyway, taxpayers ended up paying about $24,000 per additional car sale these incentives produced.[1] Obamacare appears to be in a fierce race to beat Cash for Clunkers to become the poster child for mismanagement of federal taxpayer resources:

In the first open enrollment period, the State of Hawaii spent nearly $25,000 in federal funds per enrollee who signed up for coverage on its Obamacare Exchange.
For every dollar in premiums for Exchange-provided coverage, federal taxpayers paid 94 cents in various subsidies to either enroll people or encourage them to purchase coverage on the Exchange.
Premiums on the Exchanges would have more than doubled in 10 states had the federal amounts used to set up the Exchanges been incorporated into premiums rather than paid separately by taxpayers.
In reality, there was substantial variation across states on these various metrics. Here’s what we found:

How Much Did Federal Taxpayers Spend per Exchange Enrollee?

We calculated a federal cost per enrollee consisting of a) the total amount paid to states in grants to set up and run Exchanges (including the federal dollars used to bankroll the federally-facilitated Exchange for the 29 states using it in 2014[2]); b) premium subsidies used to encourage people to buy Exchange coverage; and c) the estimated amount of cost-sharing subsidies that will be available to low-income families who purchase Silver plans on the Exchange. Nationally, federal taxpayers have spent $4,633 per enrollee for each of the 8+ million who have signed up for Exchange coverage through April 19. But this ranges from a low of $3,038 in Tennessee to a high of $24,947 in Hawaii.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/201...

The head of the Hawaii exchange recommended the program be scrapped. One has to wonder how this state, along with the other failed state exchanges, is saving taxpayers money. Naw, that’s not true, we all know, whether we want to dress this pig up or not, money has been totally squandered, and taxpayers are all on the hook.

Just another WH failure...
conservative crapola

“Hicksville Hootenanny”

Since: Sep 13

Kornfield Kounty

#415 May 13, 2014
Aprilvue wrote:
"Obamacare Exchanges Squander Taxpayer Dollars By The Boatload
Remember Cash for Clunkers? That program gave car buyers rebates of up to $4,500 if they traded in less fuel-efficient vehicles for new vehicles with better gas mileage. But because most of the vehicles garnering such rebates would have sold anyway, taxpayers ended up paying about $24,000 per additional car sale these incentives produced.[1] Obamacare appears to be in a fierce race to beat Cash for Clunkers to become the poster child for mismanagement of federal taxpayer resources:
In the first open enrollment period, the State of Hawaii spent nearly $25,000 in federal funds per enrollee who signed up for coverage on its Obamacare Exchange.
For every dollar in premiums for Exchange-provided coverage, federal taxpayers paid 94 cents in various subsidies to either enroll people or encourage them to purchase coverage on the Exchange.
Premiums on the Exchanges would have more than doubled in 10 states had the federal amounts used to set up the Exchanges been incorporated into premiums rather than paid separately by taxpayers.
In reality, there was substantial variation across states on these various metrics. Here’s what we found:
How Much Did Federal Taxpayers Spend per Exchange Enrollee?
We calculated a federal cost per enrollee consisting of a) the total amount paid to states in grants to set up and run Exchanges (including the federal dollars used to bankroll the federally-facilitated Exchange for the 29 states using it in 2014[2]); b) premium subsidies used to encourage people to buy Exchange coverage; and c) the estimated amount of cost-sharing subsidies that will be available to low-income families who purchase Silver plans on the Exchange. Nationally, federal taxpayers have spent $4,633 per enrollee for each of the 8+ million who have signed up for Exchange coverage through April 19. But this ranges from a low of $3,038 in Tennessee to a high of $24,947 in Hawaii.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/201...
The head of the Hawaii exchange recommended the program be scrapped. One has to wonder how this state, along with the other failed state exchanges, is saving taxpayers money. Naw, that’s not true, we all know, whether we want to dress this pig up or not, money has been totally squandered, and taxpayers are all on the hook.
Just another WH failure...
Remember those imaginary WMD's?
Brad

Bolton, CT

#416 May 13, 2014
foster wrote:
<quoted text>
America without respect for written laws is Argentina where the big fish eat the little fish and dark age like lords reign
Is that your fear,that we have so few laws we're at risk of becoming a lawless nation like Argentina?

We don't even have a clue how many federal laws we have on the books.

We already have over 20,000 federal gun laws alone,and liberals want more.

We can't even create imaginary crimes fast enough to keep pace with laws that were enacted a hundred years ago.

Not having enough laws isn't the problem,enforcing the exiting laws is.

Liberals,,,,pffffttttt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blue Cross Blue Shield in Texas ... comments, r... (Sep '14) Mar 21 bone 21
Health insurance Mar 21 bone 2
News Cystic fibrosis patients surviving longer in Ca... Mar 16 Evkan 1
News AARP opposes GOP health plan, which raises prem... Mar 15 Justin Bilyj 1
News The CBO report raises five serious questions Mar 14 Jeff Brightone 1
News GOP bill will push insurance costs - down, down... Mar 14 Chess Yellott MD 3
News Obamacare revision would reduce insured numbers... Mar 13 YouDidntBuildThat 1
More from around the web