My FREE annual check-up for $1,347.36

My FREE annual check-up for $1,347.36

Posted in the Health Insurance Forum

Logan5

Oakland, CA

#1 Jul 30, 2014
Dear folks,

I would like to share the story of my free annual check-up that would end up costing me $1,347.36.

On June 30th, I went to my in-network primary physician for my annual check-up which my health care provider Aetna said they would cover 100%. Part of the annual check-up is a routine chest x-ray, as well.

Let's begin with the x-ray. I told my doctor about this circumstance but he said that he has never heard of a routine chest x-ray, and, in order to get the x-ray done, I would need a condition that justifies the examination. He went on and filed the x-ray under the appropriate code (dry coughing) which would end up costing me $275.19 after insurance. After explaining to him that this is not at all what I wanted or expected, he said he would not know how else to claim it and Aetna would not disclose to him which other code he should use. Luckily, I could convince Aetna to reverse the claim and file it under the same code as the annual check-up. Hopefully i will receive notice about the reversed claim in the next couple of days. Bottom line is, that my plan, in fact, covers an annual chest x-ray 100%, believe it or not. So far, so good. I hope you got a first look at my doctor.

During my annual check-up examination, however, my doctor asked me about my past illnesses. I explained to him that I suffered from GERD and a liver inflammation last year and asked him to physically check my abdomen to see if he can find anything unusual. After all, I thought, this is a check-up, right? He did so and found that I showed a positive Murphy's sign and hence suspected I would be suffering from gall bladder stones. I expressed my doubts and explained that I had no other symptoms whatsoever and that I had received a thorough ultra-sound of my inner organs just six months prior to the check-up (due to the liver inflammation).
In this regard, I asked him how much the ultra-sound he suggested would cost me. He said it would not cost me anything because it is a medically necessary follow-up examination and the insurance would cover it. Without investigating how unlikely gall bladder stones were at this point in time, or that the Murphy's sign does not necessarily meant I would have developed any, I thought there is no harm in getting an ultra-sound, just to be sure. I got an ultra-sound at the Alta Bates Medical Center in Berkeley, two days later. They did not find anything. Now, however, I am asked to pay $1,017.59 out of pocket for it.

The insurance said that I have not met my $2,500 deductibles and that is why the hospital billed me for it. That is, whereas I was under the impression the examination would be covered by the annual check-up. After all, what good is an annual check-up when your doctor tells you that you "have something" but cannot confirm that or even tell you what it is…
I spoke to the doctor about it and he said I "would be very unfortunate" but there is nothing he can do. I asked if he could re-file the claim under a different code so that Aetna is satisfied seeing it was a (for him) necessary examination which I did not even ask for and probably would not have needed. He declined and said the hospital is, more or less, just a contractor and my finances are not their concern.

Now, I am stuck with $1,017.59 for a pointless ultra-sound +$54.85 consultation fee. Yes, the doctor billed me, on top of the annual check-up which is covered by Aetna, another consultation fee. Unnecessary to say, he never informed me about that and never told me when this annual check-up became a consultation.

Obviously, Aetna does not want to deal with it and neither does the doctor. While I am still looking for work (employment authorization takes time), I do not have the funds to pay this fee and frankly, I don't see why I should. I only wanted a check-up.
If you have similar experiences or some advice on how to handle this situation best so that I can take my head out of the American Health Care Trap, I would really appreciate it.

“The Skeptical Optimist”

Since: Sep 14

why?

#2 Sep 10, 2014
I understand why you may be distressed by your health insurance coverage.

Even though it is highly-pertinent, a patient can never be sure how a medical service will be billed/coded by the provider or interpreted by the insurer; or if it is correct or in error!

{with BlueCrossBlueShield : For " covered preventative services ",
the service MUST BE coded/billed as "routine/screening" for 100% coverage;
and NOT DIAGNOSTIC or Medical treatment when Co-Pays and Deductibles would be applied.

quite few good reads can be found ...
https://www.google.com/search...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does Bernie Sanders' single-payer plan have a s... Mon Shirvell s Shrivel 4
News The Latest: Insurer says cost-sharing will stab... Sep 13 Uncle SamLee 2
Blue Cross Blue Shield in Texas ... comments, r... (Sep '14) Sep 13 Frustrated patient 22
News Debating the Ethical Implications of the Afford... (Oct '12) Sep 10 C Kersey 3
News As some in Congress look to move past the Obama... Sep 6 Rick Perry s Closet 9
News Study says Trump moves trigger health premium j... Sep 4 Trump is a joke 37
News Frustration mounts over premiums for individual... Sep 4 CodeTalker 9
More from around the web