Picket planned by union workers from ...

Picket planned by union workers from 11 Absolut Care nursing homes

There are 18 comments on the Business Journal story from May 21, 2014, titled Picket planned by union workers from 11 Absolut Care nursing homes. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Following the expiration of a labor agreement for its 900 members, union workers from 11 Absolut Care nursing home sites throughout the region will participate in an informational picket Friday in Salamanca.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

Whytheycrying

Harpursville, NY

#1 May 21, 2014
Why are you b*tches striking?
Whytheycrying

Harpursville, NY

#2 May 21, 2014
Whytheycrying wrote:
. I heard union plummers would be doing the same before long
derp

Salamanca, NY

#3 May 21, 2014
Whats a "plummer"?
Hosaia

Manassas, VA

#4 May 21, 2014
derp wrote:
Whats a "plummer"?
A farmworker who picks plums, or, a craftsman who uses a level to make things straight, and usually at right angles, usually making things "Plumb", some people can not spell.

Since: Oct 10

Salamanca

#5 May 21, 2014
Whytheycrying wrote:
Because they can't beat up and abuse the elderly without getting caught these days..
The job has lost it's entertaining factors so they want more money !!!

Or maybe it is hazard pay in the event they are caught slapping around an 80 year old woman?

My 2 cents worth on it...
No Way

Buffalo, NY

#6 May 22, 2014
Those Places are Horrible , I would Never put my parents in one EVER
Healthcare worker

Alexander, NY

#7 May 23, 2014
Not everyone "abuses" the elderly! That is a very closed minded thing to say. Yes Absolut of Salamanca has it's "burnt out" employees, but there are many good people who work there. It's not always an option to keep your family member at home and if it wasn't for the nurses and cna's then there would be no one there to take care of these people. Before you pass close minded judgment put yourself in our position. We wake up every single day to care for these people, we feed them, dress them, take them to the bathroom, some of them are confused and will slap us, scratch us, even bite us. We spend more time with these people than with our own families. 24/7 we are there to care for someone else's family member. It's emotionally and physically draining. Do you really think that caring for someone else is worth the same amount of money that someone flipping burgers makes?
LPN

Newington, CT

#8 May 23, 2014
Ya know what's sad, we bust our asses everyday caring for our residents. No one wants to put your family in a nursing home. Absolute may have some bad reputation s, BUT we are constantly working short staffed, our nurses and cnas are working 16 hr shifts. We are burnt out and tired. We are fighting for health insurance, FAIR wage increases, and retirement benifits. We work hard and care for our residents. WE are their families when the actual family isn't there. We work hard so you don't have too! We work hard and are underappreciated and walked all over while cooperate gets bonuses, weekends and holidays off and aren't doing 16 hr shifts. We sacrifice OUR family time to be with our residents.
LPN

Newington, CT

#9 May 23, 2014
timginnery wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they can't beat up and abuse the elderly without getting caught these days..
The job has lost it's entertaining factors so they want more money !!!
Or maybe it is hazard pay in the event they are caught slapping around an 80 year old woman?
My 2 cents worth on it...
You're an idi ot

Salamanca

#10 May 23, 2014
LPN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an idi ot
Sorry, just going off the news footage from the hidden camera's people are hiding in their loved ones rooms that are all over the internet as well as local news stations.

To be in "Idiot" one would have to be unaware of the treatment the elderly are getting in them places...

Just the facts
What more can I say to that ???

Salamanca

#11 May 23, 2014
Healthcare worker wrote:
Not everyone "abuses" the elderly! That is a very closed minded thing to say. Yes Absolut of Salamanca has it's "burnt out" employees, but there are many good people who work there. It's not always an option to keep your family member at home and if it wasn't for the nurses and cna's then there would be no one there to take care of these people. Before you pass close minded judgment put yourself in our position. We wake up every single day to care for these people, we feed them, dress them, take them to the bathroom, some of them are confused and will slap us, scratch us, even bite us. We spend more time with these people than with our own families. 24/7 we are there to care for someone else's family member. It's emotionally and physically draining. Do you really think that caring for someone else is worth the same amount of money that someone flipping burgers makes?
I agree 100% with the fact there are good employees, I did not mean to imply nor did I say all employees abuse the elderly.

But now I understand it is a condition they call "Burnt Out" employee... Yeah what the hell, good as an excuse for slapping around an old lady than any I guess...

My mother worked for one for years and she would cry when a client would pass.She was there for them more than for the money she would make... I guess that would be the difference in pay scale. Her reward was the satisfaction of helping the elderly..

And some personal advice...
You got the job knowing the pay scale.. If you are not happy with it find a job that pays you what you feel you are worth...

Hope this clears up any wrong feelings that my short 2 cents may have projected...
Healthcare worker

Alexander, NY

#12 May 24, 2014
I never said it was ok to abuse the elderly. I myself have never seen it. I take pride in my work and in my residents. I love each and everyone of them and try to do the best I can for them. I understand that some people don't like nursing home staff but if you feel you can do a better job, your more than welcome to come try it for a week. As far as knowing how much money you make when you take the job...does that mean that we are never entitled to a fair raise? Are we not entitled to affordable health insurance so we can keep ourselves healthy to be able to care for these residents? When the cost of living goes up, our paychecks needs to go up as well. If we can't take care of our families how are we suppose to take care of yours?
not surprised

Buffalo, NY

#13 May 27, 2014
lot of the staff sit on their asses on cell phones, maintaining their workplace affairs with each other. Not very professional.
cna

Salamanca, NY

#14 May 28, 2014
we get burnt out because of people that do not want to come to work or refuse to do there jobs so then the ones that do there job and come to work on time and when they are supposed to they are the ones that cover all the open slots and come in early and stay late....our jobs are not easy we get kicked, punched, bitten and scratched....we get called names and are yelled and screamed at when we are only trying to help our residents....and as for knowing the pay scale when we got hired yes we did but does that mean that we are not supposed to get a fair wage increase when the higher ups get there bonus and get to buy brand new houses and brand new cars....i don't think that is fair i have worked in a nursing home for three years and in that time i have gotten a 75 cent raise now is that right....i love my job and i love every single person that i care for (even the ones that hit, bite, and all that cuz i know that they can not help it)
FTG

Buffalo, NY

#15 May 28, 2014
Don't pay any attention to blow hard Ginnery, he never worked a day in his life, he can't comprehend work, wages, or Union matters. That dumb ass doesn't even know what a Union is. Doesn't bother him that fees and taxes are taken from low wage employees to carry his worthless ass. And he THINKS he is a taxpayer
Normal

Buffalo, NY

#16 May 28, 2014
Every Work place Has its Gossip Queens an KIngs , some Men are WORSE then ALOT OF WOMEN ARE, you always have that Little backstabber,..Grow up , come to work prepared, do a Good JOB while there and a Raise will come. Or choose a Diff Field , go learn to Drive a Truck.

Salamanca

#17 May 28, 2014
FTG wrote:
Don't pay any attention to blow hard Ginnery, he never worked a day in his life, he can't comprehend work, wages, or Union matters. That dumb ass doesn't even know what a Union is. Doesn't bother him that fees and taxes are taken from low wage employees to carry his worthless ass. And he THINKS he is a taxpayer
LMAO

My last job I made over $100,000.00 a month. In fact was running about $1,400.00 an hour.
So maybe you should know more about the Ginnery you talk shit about....
My house is paid for and so are all my land taxes.. Still owe $1000.00 in sales tax to NY..
Then again you may be above any sales tax issues...
And knowing that about me I have to ask.... How much was your monthly salary ?

I feel sorry for you, in that your life is so sad you have to vent your anger with lies and false disillusion about people you do not even know.

But hey, If it keeps you from going postal then vent away....
Because if you knew how perfect my life is you would flip...

Smile !!!!
FTG

Buffalo, NY

#18 May 28, 2014
you made the allegations that employees were slapping up the elderly. You made over a million in a year at your last job but you owe NY state a thousand? Your feel sorry bullshit line describes you exactly, your perfect life is nothing more than a delusion, and your house- your Grandmothers house as you claim is no million dollar mansion. So numbnuts where are you working now? How many years has it been since you were making a million. Why were you arrested for selling pills if your life was so good? I make an honest wage, not a million a year, and I have never been a drug dealer, I don't accuse honest hard working people of slapping up the elderly and I appreciate people that support themselves and family, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to better their lives with a union.
Grow up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: 'Obamacare' repeal-only would make 30M u... 14 min freedom2016 76
Open Enrollment for New Job Dec 4 Helpes 1
Blue Cross Blue Shield in Texas ... comments, r... (Sep '14) Nov 30 rlpanda 17
News Social Security: Open enrollment begins for aff... Nov 18 Done to me too 10
News Is Obamacare working for anyone in Alabama in 2... Nov 17 ThomasA 2
News Jake Tapper grills Paul Ryan over whether his O... Nov 15 Gotti 1
HMO or HDHP Nov 11 Ultragc 1
More from around the web