Boehner Aide Brendan Buck Will Be Top...

Boehner Aide Brendan Buck Will Be Top Spokesman for Health Insurance Industry

There are 8 comments on the Roll Call story from May 12, 2014, titled Boehner Aide Brendan Buck Will Be Top Spokesman for Health Insurance Industry. In it, Roll Call reports that:

Brendan Buck, a longtime spokesman for Speaker John A. Boehner, is leaving Capitol Hill to become the chief spokesman for the health insurance industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Roll Call.

Gary

Bellingham, WA

#1 May 12, 2014
The most important thing he can say about the American
health-insurance industry is that it is totally superfluous.
All it exists for is to provide shareholders with dividends and CEOs
with multimillion dollar salaries. The insurance companies provide
no health care. Doctors and hospitals do that and a single payer
system could do it for a fraction of the cost.
Get rid of the insurance peddlers!
Sterkfontein Swartkrans

Furlong, PA

#2 May 12, 2014
Thanks to republicrats like obama and max baucus the public option was torpedoed. Both have taken millions from the insurance and drug industries. Hopefully the party will dump hillary and run a REAL Democrat!!

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#3 May 12, 2014
Gary wrote:
The most important thing he can say about the American
health-insurance industry is that it is totally superfluous.
All it exists for is to provide shareholders with dividends and CEOs
with multimillion dollar salaries. The insurance companies provide
no health care. Doctors and hospitals do that and a single payer
system could do it for a fraction of the cost.
Get rid of the insurance peddlers!
It is a myth that a single payer system could provide health insurance at a fraction of the cost.

In fact, the net profit margin for the health insurance industry is about 4.5% while waste in federal Government programs is enormously higher. Some conservative estimates peg government waste at 7% while others are as high as 40%. Fraud increases these numbers. And, let's not ignore the delays the government imposes in order to minimize waste and fraud!

Besides the relative efficiency, there is also the matter of employment. Get rid of insurance companies and you get rid of jobs. Now, I realize that doesn't bother a progressive who is quite happy to have all private enterprise taken over by the Government. But, people who work in the private sector pay taxes, as do the private industries, including health insurance. So, how does the single payer system get funded?

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 May 13, 2014
I'm sick of Boehner.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#6 May 14, 2014
SirPrize wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a myth that a single payer system could provide health insurance at a fraction of the cost.
In fact, the net profit margin for the health insurance industry is about 4.5% while waste in federal Government programs is enormously higher. Some conservative estimates peg government waste at 7% while others are as high as 40%. Fraud increases these numbers. And, let's not ignore the delays the government imposes in order to minimize waste and fraud!
Besides the relative efficiency, there is also the matter of employment. Get rid of insurance companies and you get rid of jobs. Now, I realize that doesn't bother a progressive who is quite happy to have all private enterprise taken over by the Government. But, people who work in the private sector pay taxes, as do the private industries, including health insurance. So, how does the single payer system get funded?
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, administrative costs in Medicare are only about 2 percent of operating expenditures. Private insurance industry administrative costs are 17 percent of revenue.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#7 May 14, 2014
SirPrize wrote:
<quoted text>
People should be willing to pay higher premiums to private insurance
companies in order to keep their people employed.

Sounds like welfare to me.

Besides, what government employee in a single payer system would
be making as much as $20 million a year as they do in the private sector?
What government employee has ever been paid as much]
as $20 million a year?

No taxpayer would stand for it. But, it's okay in the private sector?
Not by me.

“Yeah, but...”

MILKY WAY

#8 May 14, 2014
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, administrative costs in Medicare are only about 2 percent of operating expenditures. Private insurance industry administrative costs are 17 percent of revenue.
According to healthcare.gov , Medicre wastes almost $2Billion per year.
http://www.healthfinder.gov/News/Article.aspx...

According to the Office of Management and Budget, Medicare "improper payments" were $47.9 billion in 2010, but some of these payments later turned out to be valid.[1] The Congressional Budget Office estimates that total Medicare spending was $528 billion in 2010.[2]

“Yeah, but...”

MILKY WAY

#9 May 14, 2014
Gary wrote:
<quoted text>
People should be willing to pay higher premiums to private insurance
companies in order to keep their people employed.
Sounds like welfare to me.
Besides, what government employee in a single payer system would
be making as much as $20 million a year as they do in the private sector?
What government employee has ever been paid as much]
as $20 million a year?
No taxpayer would stand for it. But, it's okay in the private sector?
Not by me.
Have it your way...

Eliminate private industry and fire all the workers.
Now, how do you expect to pay for the single payer system?

This was my original point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Health Insurance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Undocumented, uninsured 31 min tomin cali 2
News Doctors rally against health-care cuts at Queen... Apr 25 OHIP 1
News 650,000 Ohioans could lose Medicaid coverage un... Apr 8 jim trueman 20
Cancelling state insurance a qualify event? Apr 7 Cab2005 1
Why should I get Health insurance? (Oct '15) Apr 2 THE REAL WINNER 6
pfizer looks to block watson from launching gen... Apr 2 Baker 1
News Dig at Obamacare Chelsea Clinton laments 'crush... Apr 1 too much 3
More from around the web