Study Suggests Little Benefit from An...

Study Suggests Little Benefit from Antipsychotics in Alzheimer's

There are 7 comments on the Newswise story from Oct 11, 2006, titled Study Suggests Little Benefit from Antipsychotics in Alzheimer's. In it, Newswise reports that:

Most Alzheimer's patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs for delusions, agitation or aggression do no better than those who take a placebo because so many discontinue the drugs due to significant side effects, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newswise.

Yada

Humble, TX

#1 Oct 12, 2006
I don't know what criteria they used to determined who in the study batch had which kinds of dementia. Not all are Alzheimers dementia.

Antipsychotics do drive away the psychosis such as delusions and hallucinations with aggressive behavior for the ones with DAT. It does not stop the delerium or cognitive deficits. Even so its a deteriorating course.

For the ones with Lewy body dementia, antipsychotices make them more psychotic as in worse. Hence, the reason to delineate who has what dementia rather than just slinging antipsychotics at them. Its a rapidly deteriorating course for this kind of dementia. All that you can use here are Trazadone and Aricept-like drugs.

But i'll keep my eye on the CATIE trial which has some inherent study desin problems like all studies.
Bookey the Elephant

Depew, NY

#2 Jul 30, 2007
Now that's just crazy talk!
UncommnSense

Tampa, FL

#3 Jul 30, 2007
Bookey the Elephant wrote:
Now that's just crazy talk!
hey bookey meet me at the corner we'll burn one
zenzygote

Conway, NH

#4 Jul 30, 2007
nicotine patches help alzheimers.
leper

Ireland

#5 Aug 8, 2007
Yada wrote:
I don't know what criteria they used to determined who in the study batch had which kinds of dementia. Not all are Alzheimers dementia.
Antipsychotics do drive away the psychosis such as delusions and hallucinations with aggressive behavior for the ones with DAT. It does not stop the delerium or cognitive deficits. Even so its a deteriorating course.
For the ones with Lewy body dementia, antipsychotices make them more psychotic as in worse. Hence, the reason to delineate who has what dementia rather than just slinging antipsychotics at them. Its a rapidly deteriorating course for this kind of dementia. All that you can use here are Trazadone and Aricept-like drugs.
But i'll keep my eye on the CATIE trial which has some inherent study desin problems like all studies.
Good thread!!!

Anti-psychotics are thrown around like M and M's in old peoples homes. It is most undignified.

I shall keep my eyes on that too
Mary Sue

Minto, Australia

#6 Aug 8, 2007
leper wrote:
<quoted text>
Good thread!!!
Anti-psychotics are thrown around like M and M's in old peoples homes. It is most undignified.
I shall keep my eyes on that too
Yeah great thread, lucky more people dont listen to quackery that has lead to family members being refused medicine based on some lunatics sci-fi ramblings.
'I just butchered my family'
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/i-just-bu...
Scientology link to family killing
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0...
Fury at Scientology 'flat earthers'
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/07/10/...
Scientology can kill --Belief can lead to murder

The Elli Perkins Tragedy
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/E...
HumanSpirit

High Springs, FL

#7 Aug 18, 2007
Pharmacutical Statin drugs cannot distinguish between good or bad cholesterol in the body. Do you realize your brain is made up of cholesterol material which is being depleted by the Statin drugs? The result being: Cholesterol depletion in the brain is a large cause for dementia. Red Yeast Rice is far better then the Statin drugs for reducing cholesterol without the loss of mental abilities.
Alzheimer Decease is just a false excuse for another defective product being forced on the public like the psychotropic drugs. Get smart. Do some research.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hallucinations Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
test (Mar '06) Jun '16 imfucked 2
hallucinations caused by medication (Dec '09) Jun '16 imfucked 3
Hallucinations forced into my brain. Jun '16 imfucked 1
News Beware safety risks posed by 'off-label' drug use (Nov '15) Nov '15 4 Mark 1
News People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay on Meds (Jul '07) Oct '15 Lucis 74
The world as I see it (Sep '15) Sep '15 Aiden M 1
News Long Acting Med for Schizophrenia Symptoms Reco... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Suzanne Patterson 1
More from around the web