People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay ...

People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay on Meds

There are 74 comments on the Psych Central News story from Jul 3, 2007, titled People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay on Meds. In it, Psych Central News reports that:

The vast majority of people - over 90% - with schizophrenia fail to stay on their prescribed antipsychotic medications after one year. via Psych Central News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psych Central News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
lameCommentSpott er

Modesto, CA

#64 Jul 6, 2010
That was an unhelpful mean comment you gave

Your no doctor so don't give your bad comments.
steve

Portland, OR

#65 Jul 7, 2010
I have been a MH professional working with "schizophrenic" diagnosed people in the past. The main reason people I talked to stopped taking their "meds" is because they either don't work or the side effects are so severe that it's better to have the hallucinations. I know there are people who feel really positive about their medication regimes, and I would never want to take that away from them, but there are plenty of horror stories. I do believe that psych meds are basically an uncontrolled experiment, rather than a scientific technology. I'd have less of an issue if the psychiatrists admitted that up front. "We have some drugs we can give you that might make the hallucinations go away. They don't always work. Sometimes they have serious side effects that can be permanent, so there is significant risk involved. You are welcome to give them a try and we'll see if we can make it work. If you don't want to, here are some other alternatives."
The idea that mental illness is a purely medical problem is just wrong. It is a very complex set of issues, some of which are as much cultural as they are medical or psychological. The sooner we accept this fact, the sooner we'll start to figure out what really helps. As someone said, everyone copes in their own way.
anon

Lexington, KY

#66 Jul 17, 2010
Most of these pills are just a continuation of the previous type of treatments for schizophrena. In essence they are lobotomies in a pill in my opinion. Oh yeah don't forget to mention the possible diabetes, siezures, feeling like your getting ready to swallow your tounge and the fact that they could possibly put you life in danger. Of all these people that say you need to take your medicene I think it's time for them to start taking it and see what it feels like.
Melanie

Vista, CA

#67 Nov 4, 2010
I am going through withdrawls from both Risperdal and Zoloft. I stopped cold turkey several days ago, and now I keep falling from dizziness and imbalance. I don't care. I will suffer through the problems if they are temporary, as I have gained almost 100 pounds from these drugs. I used to be a petite 5 feet, 115 pounds, and now I am over 200. I can't do this anymore. I want my old self back. Is what I am doing dangerous? My main problem right now is insomnia, but I feel more energetic in the morning than ever before. I am positive that things are going to get better from here. What do you think?
Makhni

Canton, MI

#68 Nov 19, 2010
Schizophrenia is the government. The voices are people.. Psychic powers are real. Type in "When someone is thinking about you" in google. That site explains psychic powers!

The government is psychic and has a paper called the drift hypothesis that explains why poor people get schizophrenia. In actuality it is complete B.S. and is worded to make it appear as though it makes sense.

If you want to rid yourself of the disease, if you are able to talk back to your voices tell them "You work for the government and the person who last had your job was threatened with their lives." Keep doing this and your symptoms will go away. If you are unable to speak to your voices in your head, say it out loud or think it. This method works!
Harry Horton

Pittsboro, NC

#69 Mar 24, 2011
I took the drug, went right into hyperglycemia after being a few weeks on it back in June 2001. Today I still have the hyperglycemia. I sense voices that come up in my head, and I can deal with them without the drug, though it gets to be pure hell at times. Schizophrenia bulletin May 21 2010 related some recent research fidings that a clear underlying mechanism for creating the hyperglycemia had been achieved. Fat burning takes place initially leaving sugar/carbohydrate burning unused, when this latter mode of fuel consumption should be active and burning off carbs and sugars initially. If the carb/sugar mode gets shunted back to secondary usage, then the result is the sugars just collect up creating hyperglycemia. The study out of Oxford in Schizophrenia Bulletin May 21 2010 has a lot of new solid facts and information on this. Also web site: "Last Psychiatrist October 18 2010" - Why zyprexa makes you fat likewise carries similar information too.

Since: Apr 11

Oradea, Romania

#70 Apr 9, 2011
So good your meds are working for you! what kind of meds are you taking anyway? zyprexa, seroquel?
Angelsdelight wrote:
Well,meds and prayers work for me. I feel like there was a missing part of my brain that I got back when I flooded my brains with meds. I am greatful for the caring people who put me out of my misery. My delusions were terrible and I don't ever want to go back through that kind of mental trip again. It was like being on bad acid trip.
rebeca

Romania

#71 Jul 23, 2011
Samantha wrote:
I think meds are a wonder, along with cognitive therapy... The meds Im on are brilliant (Seroquel) and help me enormously without any side effects.
how long have you been taking seroquel?what for?
Angel

Thornhill, Canada

#72 Oct 13, 2011
I am totally FOR the legalization of marijuanna. But believe me, it's not the drug of choice for people with Schizophrenia! It causes more paranoia in them. Only time I can smoke weed was when I was on antipsychotics. I'm drug free now and dealing with my psychosis with homeopathy. Anti-psychotics suck.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#74 Dec 4, 2011
My father was on countless medications. He was thought to have bipolar or schizophrenia. He was on haldol, lithium and lots of other drugs I'm not sure about. He committed suicide,while on some medication. A listed side affect for many of the anti-psychotic medications is increased suicidal thoughts. My aunt swears it was the medication he was on that made his thinking unclear, and attributed to his suicide.But I'm not sure what medication he was on at the time. He would fake that he took his meds sometimes. He would act like he took them but he would actually throw the pills away instead of taking them.
Kareem

Bobruisk, Belarus

#77 May 28, 2013
I have used http://qgeneric.info/#dede for about 3 years and find their products to be reliable and speedily delivered. The Support team are very promt and helpful in solving any issues that arise,caused by my errors not the company's. I was a little sceptical initially about buying generic products rather than brand names. However, the Mens' Health products I have bought have been equally as efficatious as the brand names at a fraction of the cost.
Coleman

UK

#79 Aug 1, 2013
I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa from http://z-olanzapine.com a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far.
Diana

UK

#81 Oct 4, 2014
More information about Seroquel (Quetiapine) at http://quetiapines.com Side effects, dosage etc.
Lucis

Sydney, Australia

#85 Oct 21, 2015
High Times wrote:
<quoted text>
( Amen ) Brother or Sister
And amen to that, the only natural plant that actually helps with the nausea I get withy debilitating anxiety.. Works for me but not everyone

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hallucinations Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Low-Carbohydrate Diet Superior to Antipsychotic... Sep '17 Humanspirit 2
Do hallucinations usually get worse over time? (Apr '17) Apr '17 Xaviir 1
Hallucinations (Jan '14) Oct '16 muffet888 2
test (Mar '06) Jun '16 imfucked 2
hallucinations caused by medication (Dec '09) Jun '16 imfucked 3
Hallucinations forced into my brain. (Jun '16) Jun '16 imfucked 1
News Beware safety risks posed by 'off-label' drug use (Nov '15) Nov '15 4 Mark 1
More from around the web