People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay ...

People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay on Meds

There are 74 comments on the Psych Central News story from Jul 3, 2007, titled People with Schizophrenia Don't Stay on Meds. In it, Psych Central News reports that:

The vast majority of people - over 90% - with schizophrenia fail to stay on their prescribed antipsychotic medications after one year. via Psych Central News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Psych Central News.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
zenzygote

Conway, NH

#2 Jul 30, 2007
Are schizophrenics now subjects of study and testing out medicine? Are they no more than lab rats or monkeys to be given what could ultimately be poison to an individual if the chemistry of the medicine is not a correct fit for the person? The article mentions risperdone. risperdone and its maker are in court because risperdone causes tardive dyskenisia, increased chance of sun stroke, weight gain, thirst and imbibing lethal amounts of water or liquid among other things like liver failure at 56. still, I am sure that anything is better than a bad episode of sz so the answer is to find a medicine that fits the person, not just inject or shove meds down the throat. in a lot of ways those antipsychotics are dangerous unless under expert supervision, not just some lay people pushing a product.
getalife

Denver, CO

#3 Jul 30, 2007
Maybe they should smoke pot.
confused

Marble Falls, TX

#4 Jul 30, 2007
Haven't you read, most did and look where we are now. These studies kill me, between a skitso rat and pot, we were screwed from the start. All I know is , give any animal a drug to make him chew his feet off, from whatever the hallucination may be and by golly you have a stoned animal. Give a human the same drug and when he chews his feet of he's skitzo off his medication? Yea buddy, just what i always suspected. Bet they gave those rats ZYPREXA first.
High Times

United States

#5 Aug 2, 2007
getalife wrote:
Maybe they should smoke pot.
( Amen ) Brother or Sister
High Times

United States

#6 Aug 2, 2007
Smoke a big fat Joint and relax. It'll all end soon enough. Our goverment will see to that.
one with nature

Spain

#7 Aug 6, 2007
dude, smoking pot can increase the chances of you developing schizophrenia by 40%. So if the overall population has a 1% chance of developing it, then smoking weed increases it to 1.4%...

seriously. its not that pot increases your chances of going schizo, because if you have a predisposition, youīll develop it anyways most likely.
Most people with psychological dissorders have higher chances of using drugs, and that I know for sure.

I know someone who learned to live with schizophrenia and get rid of a lot of its negative symptoms after an intense mushroom trip. He hasnīt taken meds for three years, and is doing fairly well. He no longer feels extreme emotions like he used to, and he has learned to not rely so much on his memories as before.

SO quit blaming drugs.

And yes, meds are shit, and they will mess with your brain and your body. Some of the greatest psychiatrists have used only therapy and nutrition to cure their schizophrenic patients.
one with nature

Spain

#8 Aug 6, 2007
what I find annoying is that all of those people who are against the legalization of marijuana, have no clue of the chemistry of it nor how it affects your mind and body.
Brigid

United States

#9 Aug 27, 2007
Most "anti-psychotics" are actually just sedatives with tons of horrible side effects. The reason people don't want to take them is because they feel much worse while on the meds. Most of the meds are sooo oversedating, that people can barely function. Takers risk developing metabolic syndrome, diabates, liver failure, tardive dyskinesia, etc.

Maybe, if they would develop meds that actually help people instead of harming them, more patients would be compliant.

I am amazed at the 10 % that actually stay on the meds.

By the way, I am not a scientologist. I am just a nurse with 15 years of experience who has seen so many people harmed by these medications. It is amazing to me that they remain on the market. I guess there are not many people who care about "the crazy". Pretty sad isn't it?

“Is looking for change.”

Since: May 08

Hinton

#10 May 25, 2008
Well,meds and prayers work for me. I feel like there was a missing part of my brain that I got back when I flooded my brains with meds. I am greatful for the caring people who put me out of my misery. My delusions were terrible and I don't ever want to go back through that kind of mental trip again. It was like being on bad acid trip.
Broken HEARTED

San Jose, CA

#11 May 31, 2008
No, people don't care about the "crazy". They are used as lab rats, and killed increasingly. The average life expectancy of those with major mental illness is going down. By shoving lethal atypical antipsychotics at "them", people with schizophrenia and manic depression are dying of heart failure, profound hyperglycemia, pancreatitis, and suicide. Dying in their TWENTIES and THIRTIES from these drug. Even children wrongly diagnosed as having "bipolar disorder" are dying. But these, our precious children, matter not for Big Pharm.

“Is looking for change.”

Hinton

#12 May 31, 2008
I found out that I had a heart murmur. It never showed until I started taking meds.
withdrawl

Langley, Canada

#13 Jun 5, 2008
The meds likely dont work and if a drug that actually worked showed up they are too stupid to recognize it. most people with the label schiz have nothing physical wrong with them which just add more to the confusion.

if you are a schiz patient you are a guinea pig at best. its a cliche but the only people that are mad are the shrinks.

“Is looking for change.”

Hinton

#14 Jun 10, 2008
Well,this guinea pig is happy with her meds. Mine are working fine.
Samantha

UK

#15 Jun 12, 2008
I think meds are a wonder, along with cognitive therapy... The meds Im on are brilliant (Seroquel) and help me enormously without any side effects.
withdrawl

Langley, Canada

#16 Jun 13, 2008
cognitive therapy is temporary purchase of friendship. dont call them meds. i have no idea what your underlying condition is. people have been saying for years that these drugs help with shyness. you cant trust people because of the placebo effect and that these drugs often make you high in the beginning.
Samantha

UK

#17 Jun 14, 2008
I suffer from schizophrenia and have been seeing the same mental health nurse for 3 years and she has helped me more than anyone else. I also see a community support worker who takes me out for dinner once a week and we chat and talk about what's bothering me. All the therapy I have recieved has been brilliant and I have the NHS to thank for that.
withdrawl

Langley, Canada

#18 Jun 14, 2008
Samantha wrote:
I suffer from schizophrenia and have been seeing the same mental health nurse for 3 years and she has helped me more than anyone else. I also see a community support worker who takes me out for dinner once a week and we chat and talk about what's bothering me. All the therapy I have recieved has been brilliant and I have the NHS to thank for that.
as i said, purchase of friendship. sounds like your problem is lack of friendship not schizophrenica.
that_whichdoesnt killme

Toledo, OH

#19 Jun 14, 2008
MEDs Antipsych ones are very dangerous and well let's say can be very dangerous to your health me myself yea i smoke weed for when it gets to where i cannot cope the seroquels , zyprexas, geodons prozacs behhhhhhhh they are not anything but things to zombify you I prefer to turn into a stoned zombie.....don t stay on ur meds they ll kill you
withdrawl

Langley, Canada

#20 Jun 14, 2008
that_whichdoesntkillme wrote:
MEDs Antipsych ones are very dangerous and well let's say can be very dangerous to your health me myself yea i smoke weed for when it gets to where i cannot cope the seroquels , zyprexas, geodons prozacs behhhhhhhh they are not anything but things to zombify you I prefer to turn into a stoned zombie.....don t stay on ur meds they ll kill you
pot of course is wrong in every way
that_whichdoesnt killme

Toledo, OH

#21 Jun 15, 2008
well everyone COPES in there own way

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hallucinations Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Low-Carbohydrate Diet Superior to Antipsychotic... Sep '17 Humanspirit 2
Do hallucinations usually get worse over time? (Apr '17) Apr '17 Xaviir 1
Hallucinations (Jan '14) Oct '16 muffet888 2
test (Mar '06) Jun '16 imfucked 2
hallucinations caused by medication (Dec '09) Jun '16 imfucked 3
Hallucinations forced into my brain. (Jun '16) Jun '16 imfucked 1
News Beware safety risks posed by 'off-label' drug use (Nov '15) Nov '15 4 Mark 1
More from around the web