|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2008

Judged:

Dear BB Comrades,
I have suffered BB for years and have tried everything commercially available which made no difference. I have learned that bacterial overgrowth in one's upper GI system could also lead to halitosis and are being treated since last month for my GI illnesses. I would love to know if anyone out there shares similar experience with me...
I recently found out that I have acid reflux (GERD) and dyspepsia. I read that the esophagus sphincter, a kind of gatekeeper between esophagus and stomach to prevent stuff in our stomach to come back up, is somehow made loose in people with GERD. I have also learned that H.Pylori can inhabit our stomach and many people who have Pylori infection and dyspepsia also suffer from halitosis. In addition, my friend, a GI doctor, tells me that small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) can also lead to halitosis. Because antibiotic treatment that eliminates Pylori or SIBO can eliminate BB in many with this condition, I have been focusing on getting myself tested for Pylori and SIBO. If I tested positive for either one, I will ask my doctor to give my antibiotic treatment.
If any of you out there share my story, do not get depressed, get help and go to see a GI doctor, who is trained recently and is aware of all these new discoveries in the GI field.
My GI doctor is an old fellow who himself is H.Pylori-positive. He is apparently not aware of the recent advances in the GI field in terms of the link between halitosis and bacterial infection of upper GI system. I told him my theory about why bacterial infection in GI system could cause halitosis in subset of patients with GI problems and managed to convince him to get me tested. So, a couple of facts before I tell you my hypothesis:
1. Half of the US population over 50 years of age are said to be H.Pylori positive and not that many people are halitosis sufferers.
2. Halitosis in GI patients appears to be more closely associated with those with dyspepsia or GERD.
So here is what I think (it may help to let you know that I am a university professor with a PhD in biology):
If you have perfect oral health (confirmed by your dentist) and still suffer from halitosis, this is what you may have:
1. You may have bacterial infection in your upper GI (either H.Pylori infection in stomach, or bacterial overgrowth in small intestine, both can be tested for easily).
2. You may have GERD or dyspepsia (check it out on-line or go to see a GI doctor), which is clinically caused by imperfect seal of your esophagus due to loose sphincter between your esophagus and stomach.
3. You may not yet experience any symptom of GERD or dyspepsia, even if your sphincter is already loose, which appears to precede the onset of GERD. I have suffered BB for more than 8 years (may be longer) and only recently realized that I have GERD/dyspepsia.
4. Now, you may notice that even if you are around the same people day after day, you may not get horrified reaction from them every time you open your month. This suggests that sphincter which, when open, allows escape of bad breath from GI tract is not always open. My hypothesis is that something in our diet contributes to the opening or closing of sphincter.
5. Foods that may worsen the integrity of sphincter may include coffee, alcohol, spicy food, and citric food, all of which are known to make GERD worse. Keep a record of what you eat and how people react to your breath after meals.
6. So, the bottom line is that our halitosis (extra oral and GI-bacterial based) can be made worse if we consume diet that includes these components.
7. Potential treatment for this type of problem includes (A) restoration of esophagus sphincter’s function to tighten the seal of stomach; or (B) eliminate bacterial infection of upper GI tract.
8. Choice is obvious: no one knows how to do (A) and easy to do (B) above.
Well, this is just based on my own private research in the past few years. Hope to hear your response.
Adrian

Jerome, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2008

I have found that getting rid of starches in my diet has lessened the effects of BB. And it has been bad. Watch how much meat a person eats also affects your stomach activity. I also have to watch the fats in my diet. I cannot afford to have the GI test. After my insurance I would have a co pay of $1000. But have been told and I know for a fact that I have acid reflux. I take digestive enzymes and aloe, chlorophyll. The pepsid and other OTC remedies are not good after about a month. And people have been known to take them for years.

I was tested for the H pylori and did not have it. Thanks for the information. When you have BB you can become very self-conscious when dealing with people.
Kim

Newark, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

wow this is so interesting and exciting.I have severe bad breath and I have been to several dentist, teeth are great not to mention I brush and floss all day.Anyway I have severe asthma I ask the asthma doctor could he test me for fungus on the lung becuase I was wondering could that cuase bad breath he says no I still wanted the test done anyway first he said I was ok,then a letter in the mail came back stating I have fungus growing in my sputum,he refuse to give me antibiotics,then the NP called out of the blue and said he wants me to take cipro I called him back and said i will not take antbiotics for fungus,then he said well there small bowel overgrowth of bacteria something like that and I need to see a stomach doctor.I am looking at what was written here and I pray that is the answer to my bad breath after all these years.my breath is nasty I can't take it,my mouth taste dirty all the time sometimes its so bad it makes me wanna throw up.So can someone tell me alittle more of what is wrong with me.and can this be the cuase of the bad breath and how come the doctors never looked for this they gave me every other test,I had a edg test years ago they said that was normal.my e-mail is grenadas_finest_andrew@yahoo.c om
Leno

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2008

I have suffered from ulcertative colitis for about 25 years. I thought that was the cause of my BB. Tried to deal with it in many ways, but could never truly stop it completely. Recently felt something in the back of my throat. Was diagnosed with acid reflux and they said that my throat was moderately swollen. Still have my nosils, but the scope did not see anything wrong with them. If you figure out something let me know.
Jenny

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2008

I have also suffered for bb for close to 16 years.
I finally requested that my doctor test me for hpylori after doing some research online.
the test came back positive. I have completed the antibiotic therapy and no longer have the bb that has plagued my life for many years.
I should have been tested sooner but I am so thrilled that my situation has resolved.
shelley

Cisne, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2010

When I was 10 I had an acute bleeding ulcer from medication. I am now 37 and two years ago I had erosive duodenitis with considerable bleeding. NO symptoms before it happened. They didn't no wat caused it. They told me I needed to take prevacid for the rest of my life. Now people are telling me my breath smells like poop. I brush twice daily, use tongue scraper, dental floss, and mouthwash. Can my bad breath mean something is still wrong with my stomach? Please help.
Sam

Boise, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

I have never had BB until about 6 months ago (right before a high school reunion). Anyway, I don't have tonsils anymore, and am super healthy. I workout everyday and avoid anything on the reflux list. I'm like a little super trooper to get this fixed, and yet, it's still there. I can barely stand myself when I wake up in the morning. I take 20 mg of pliosec everyday.... maybe it's something else? My oral hygiene is excellent... it's bad.
Marty

Danderyd, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

My pop died of an acute bleeding ulcer. I must know is there any pain with the acute bleeding, or is it just coming unprepared, and unnoticed?
AB Loma linda CA

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2011

Dear Juno,
Thanks for the posting, I am myself have suffered from halitosis so many years. I do believe that something wrong with my GI, but I dont have something to back me up. All the research recently deny any links that halitosis is associated with GI problem. So I try to swallow it, eventhough in the bottom of my heart I knew it that it was not right. I have had problem with my stomach since I was small (I am not a good eater, I have small frame), and now I am 40 years old. I have a good oral hygiene, and it is conformed by my dentist. Anyway, I will go to the doctor soon for this, and yes,right now, I have the very bad stomach problem for almost 2 weeks, stomach pain, lose weights almost 5 lbs, nauseated, stomach gas,acid taste, and of course people around me need to cover their nose more when I am talking (the smell is getting worse, even I could smell it sometimes).
Michele

Sugar Land, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2011

Halitosis is most commonly caused by poor oral hygiene or tooth decay. I've been a dental hygienist for 25 yrs, have excellent oral hygiene, and generally very healthy. However, I suffer from halitosis more often than I should and I believe it's related to upper GI. I am just beginning to research and find your comments very useful.
Mohammed

Bahrain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2011

Hello all

I see that many of you are suffering from halitosis and most of you seek the advise of many dentists and became frequent shopper. I think before you go to more detailed investigations it is better to be sure that you have halitosis. Pseudohalitosis and hailtophobia must be put into consideration. You can be simply know that you have halitosis by measuring it with haitometer.
Many thanks
Liah

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2011

I have suffered BB for many years and didn't know because nobody ever told me. Finally my children made me aware of it in the nicest way they could. They would offer me gum or candy if it was really bad. I had no idea it was this bad until it recently got worse. I am considered a very attractive women and me always want to approach me. I am a married women, when these men would turn their heads as soon as I would speak I really understood the extreme of my BB. A week ago I went and took the Breath test and was found positive for SIOB. I was so happy about the findings because I feel their will finally be and end to my embarrassing problem. I start medication treatment tomorrow. Thank God!!!
Robert

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2011

I have had longstanding issues. I have been all over this thing for a long time, and my problem is multi factorial and I think only partially resolved.

In response to Juno's post, I am intrigued and defintely persuaded by a lot of the GI research, however, is there not a flaw in your theory about the open sphincter? The eosophagus is a collapsed tube that is sealed, even if your LES was open, the only time a gas would go up is with a burp... am I wrong? I was told this by a GI doctor long ago...

In this vein.. is it not more likely that SIBO is causing over productions of gases which are being metabolized into the blood. Dimethyl Sulfide can get into blood, and if you have impaired permeability then it can happen even more.

Dr. Gerard Mullin has a lof interesting stuff about this in one of his books....

What do you think... I think my problem may be SIBO related and I have a hiatal hernia which leaves the sphincter open..
STL

Eureka, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2011

have never had BB until about 6 months ago (right before a high school reunion). Anyway, I don't have tonsils anymore, and am super healthy. I workout everyday and avoid anything on the reflux list. I'm like a little super trooper to get this fixed, and yet, it's still there. I can barely stand myself when I wake up in the morning. I take 20 mg of pliosec everyday.... maybe it's something else?!!!!!!!am Sam I just started having bb for almost a year my oral hygine is fine but there is alote more things got to do with ur breath it could be kidney liver Gastrointestinal problems it's just alot of things that could be just have to check with a regular doctor for a blood test and stool test then u can go from there cuz 90% of bb is in mouth and the rest is within ur body
Louise

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2012

Mohammed wrote:
Hello all
I see that many of you are suffering from halitosis and most of you seek the advise of many dentists and became frequent shopper. I think before you go to more detailed investigations it is better to be sure that you have halitosis. Pseudohalitosis and hailtophobia must be put into consideration. You can be simply know that you have halitosis by measuring it with haitometer.
Many thanks
Where would you find such a macine to measure your BB?
carl

Dauphin, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2012

Great to my suprise i read many people dealing withthis BB condition and then say i am not along. I have been suffered from that problem for more than 20 years. I used all of the therabreath products available on Dr Harold Katz but none works. Some of the product they even advise you to drink them that wil give you fresh breath. i have been drinking for a long time. Recently i felt a lump in my kneck, which follow by pain in my clavicle area and Now i am afraid that can cause me to have cancer. I do't think anyone can experience my BB experience. I cannot open my mouth at all. you can be many feet away you can smell my breath. I have a hard time smell it myself because it is smell ++++. I will definitely go to a docor and rquest those test t be done. Thx for great advice
Chapp

Tyler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2012

I have had bad breath for many yrs and have become a recluse because of it. I brush 4 times/d, floss daily, see the dentist 2 times/yr(with cleaning)and tried every promising product on the market. I have a hiatal hernia, carry a lot of gas, take dexilant for reflux. Nothing works for me and I believe gasses ferment in my stomach/hernia from whatever foods I eat then release the gasses when I speak. Everyone assumes you have poor dental hygiene when your breath is bad....not true. I would love relief from this problem.
cured

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

I too suffered from BB for many years & have tried MANY otc drugs (none of which worked). My BB got so bad, I couldn't talk to anyone w/out them covering their nose or stepping back. My BB was so embarrassing & greatly affected my personal life. I finally found a GI doctor who after a few tests, suggested I test for SIBO. I tested, was found positive & prescribed a 2 week (3x per day) round of xifaxan...after the 8th day my BB began to subside. I now take a daily probiotic (Align) and since being treated for Sibo, I have been BB free & my reflux has subsided as well.
Gina

Cambria Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Liah wrote:
I have suffered BB for many years and didn't know because nobody ever told me. Finally my children made me aware of it in the nicest way they could. They would offer me gum or candy if it was really bad. I had no idea it was this bad until it recently got worse. I am considered a very attractive women and me always want to approach me. I am a married women, when these men would turn their heads as soon as I would speak I really understood the extreme of my BB. A week ago I went and took the Breath test and was found positive for SIOB. I was so happy about the findings because I feel their will finally be and end to my embarrassing problem. I start medication treatment tomorrow. Thank God!!!

I would like to know what medication treatment you have been placed on. Thanks in advance.
Lisa

Grand Bend, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

I have had BB for years and feel very self conscious. Lately my stomach hurts and I have a strong acid taste in my mouth. My doctor put me on Acid reflux medicine which made it worse. I have an appointment in a week to see if I can have an h pylori test done. I am so frustrated. I work with people every day and am affraid to talk.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Halitosis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) Aug 11 Tommy 593
bad breath help!! Aug 3 jack 1
Sex life leaving a bad taste in your mouth? (Mar '13) Jun '14 Guido 14
Oil pulling: Holistic technique believed to imp... Jun '14 Rere 1
Is It Bad Breath Or Not? (Jun '11) Jun '14 MADE AN EXAMPLE OF 6
How to beat a sinus infection and live to talk ... (Dec '12) May '14 johnny bear 2
What to do about your bad breath (Feb '14) May '14 Same SCAM 8

Search the Halitosis Forum:
•••