Going on Allopurinol - help!

Going on Allopurinol - help!

Posted in the Gout Forum

David

Halifax, UK

#1 Jan 27, 2014
Hi,
Found the info on this site excellent and very informative however like the 'good food lists' you see on line a little contradictory and I'm not sure if I should start taking allopurinol or now.
I recently had an attack for 2 weeks - in hindsight I had one about 3 years ago and just 'rode it out' albeit I remember thinking I had fractured my foot at the time.
My doctor has just given me colchicine to help at the attack stage and whilst this has subsided the acute atack, my toe joint is still massive and slightly pink, albeit not causing me any pain.
The DR is advising to start the allopurinol now, I'm not sure it;s actually gone away fully for the above reasons, has anyone got any experience in this type of situation? I get married in 3 weeks and whilst I'm keen to get the correct treatment for the ong term, I'd rather be as I am now in a little pain with the pink and enlarged toe, than back on crutches.
Any ideas? Thanks a lot
Richard

UK

#2 Apr 28, 2014
Hi Dave,

Just wondering how your gout is these days. Did you go on the allopurinol? I have just started taking the tablets and am worried about the side effects.

Any info would be much apprecated.

Thanks
Beacher1001

Los Angeles, CA

#3 May 5, 2014
Allopurinol apparently work different for everyone. My experience is that it gives me attacks not prevent them. It does seem to help some people.
http://goutventures.blogspot.com
Ret

Singapore, Singapore

#4 May 21, 2014
My dr do not recommend taking allopurinol. Because he said if u start taking, it's for lifetime. U can't stop taking after that. If u stop, the gout attacks will come back. I'm 37. My attacks are monthly. I'm taking sod tea nowadays. Plus apple cider vinegar + honey together. Hope it works. Tried black cherry juices, not much help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gout Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New gout cure (Nov '11) Sep 12 tonyccc 3
Coke Zero (Nov '14) Sep 12 Hookvader 3
Natural Gout Cures (May '14) Sep 8 tonyccc 2
Beer and gout relief - has anyone else experien... (Feb '14) Aug 25 Thelimeusa 11
Gout and vitamins (Jun '09) Aug '16 james 861 23
Orange Triad Vitamin? Jul '16 Bears20 1
Does this sound like gout? Jun '16 Gerry 1
More from around the web