Acid and Alkaline

“Prevent Gout”

Since: Aug 10

Livingston, MT

#1 Aug 5, 2010
Since Gout has everything to do with too much uric acid, shouldn't I just eat more foods and/or drinks that are more alkaline or cause more alkalinity? Like Lemons and Apple Cider Vinegar?
Foobert

United States

#2 Aug 25, 2010
I'll chime in here for kicks as I suffered my first (and hopefully last) severe gout attack in the fall of 2008 and only one thing gave me relief then and has greatly reduced the duration of the 2 minor flareups I've had since. Baking soda. Yup, Arm and Hammer knocked out that first nasty occurrence and has subsequently helped me control gout to the point that I eat and drink what I want.

Sept. 2008 - right big toe starts hurting bad, essentially out of nowhere. 24 hours after I noticed it, bam! excruciating pain, shock, "why me!??!?!" Went to a podiatrist the day after that, he agreed with my self-diagnosis (made after a near-sleepless night of 'net research) and prescribed colchicine and advised me to read up on gout friendly dieting. The colchicine helped somewhat, and after about 2 more days (1 spent mostly on the porcelain throne, natch), I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

It wasn't... It was only the headlight of an oncoming train of pain. The attack actually worsened over the next 4-5 days, I was eating 4x200mg Advil every 4 hours further hosing up my guts, and was ready to kill anyone who even looked at my foot the wrong way. I then came across icuredmygout.org , read up extensively, and after another 7-8 days of horrible pain, gave in and tried baking soda. 1 tsp. that first night, then another in the AM, then another 1/2 tsp. every 6 hours for 2 days. The morning after that first teaspoon, I knew something good was about to happen - the throbbing had subsided, and I could almost put my foot on the floor (albeit w/significant pain, still). By the second morning, the pain was decreased by 3/4 more, and by the 3rd day I awoke to no pain at all.

I understand some folks' reticence to intake all the sodium that goes along w/baking soda, but I will swear by it forever. I believe due to my ancestry and a genetic blood disorder (thalacemia minor, causes low red count, high white count, and acidic blood tendencies) I'm predisposed to gout, as was my paternal grandfather. Baking soda was the perfect alkalizer for me, and now although I watch my sodium intake, I still drink on weekends, and eat red meat 1-2 times per week.

I've noticed certain sauces that contain concentrated meat proteins / high purines (BBQ made from bone stock, etc.) and really gamey meats (venison, boar, who knows what else) will cause a twitch - but the 2 time in the past 2 years I felt those "twitches", baking soda knocked them out in hours. I now drink 1/2 tsp. baking soda mixed into 6oz. warm water maybe 1-2x per week, and as I mentioned, eat and drink what I want.

I should mention I used to drink alcohol much more heavily (6 nights per week, 5-10 drinks) from ages 22-35 or so, then cut way back as I didn't like being hungover and broke all the time. In my opinion, all that excessive drinking coupled with not enough h2o intake was a timebomb that finally blew up on me at age 38. I'll be 40 this year and will hopefully never suffer another major attack like that first one.

Last words - alkalize via baking soda if your system can handle the sodium, drink copious amounts of h2o to keep those kidneys flushing fluids at high volume (I drink at least 3 liters per day), and see if it knocks out your gout too. It might not help in all cases, but it worked wonders in mine.

“Prevent Gout”

Since: Aug 10

Livingston, MT

#3 Aug 27, 2010
@Foobert I like it! We have a fairly similar story; the alcohol, age 38, but I wasn't nearly as smart as you - I let it all drag out over the next 12+ years. I've finally figured Gout out, and what works for me. In earlier times to ease off on Baking Soda, I used to do a shot of ACV in water everyday to stay alkalized and that seemed to work but my schedule and travel did always cooperate. I can't agree more about the water aspect; it seems like not enough emphasis is put on that in regards to Gout and lots of other conditions. To your good health!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gout Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gout Tue Rob 2
Beer and gout relief - has anyone else experien... (Feb '14) Feb 8 Eddie 12
Rib pain Jan 26 Uni 1
cure for my gout (Mar '17) Oct '17 Hookvader 3
Coke Zero (Nov '14) Oct '17 Hookvader 4
Can Cherry Products Really Help Gout? (May '12) Sep '17 Sharon Bolding 9
Vacation (Jul '17) Jul '17 Reese 1
More from around the web