post thyroidectomy
LYN J

Gaborone, Botswana

#65 Nov 3, 2011
Hi everyone, despite having had TT October 2010, I am still extremely tired, gaining weight, miserable, currently on 150 thyroxine...........anyone please, suggestions on a diet menu plan and what i can do to make myself feel better. I have blood tests every 3 months and im so depressed as im going now where. Good luck to everyone. cheers
Renee Fillmore

Philadelphia, PA

#66 Nov 19, 2011
JULIE O SULLIVAN wrote:
hi , i had a thyroidectomy , left half of thyroid removed 8 mths ago, now i am feeling this swelling and tightness in the front of neck and when TO swallow its tight and very painful,also have swollen ankles, i have gained weight and feel so very tired ,please is this normal i am starting to panic there a nodule in my throat again it feel like it anyway,just taking kelp. HELP PLEASE
JULIE
Hey Julie ! I know you wrote this awhile ago but I am having very similar symptoms. Half my thyroid was removed 7 months ago. What did you ever find out? Was there another nodule? Or was it part of the healing process? Awaiting your response !! Thanks.
Lyn j

Gaborone, Botswana

#67 Nov 20, 2011
Hi! Can anyone suggest diet menu plan post TT a year on stil struggling weightgain despite controlled eating and dailye exercise! Currently on150 eltroxin daily- your thoughts on lOw carbing and a y suggestions pls would be appreciatd. Tks lyn
Tania m

Glasgow, UK

#68 Nov 22, 2011
I had all my thyroid removed along with a lympth node and very large tumour it's left my windpipe very narrow whilst i can breadth better I have the feeling of a lump still in my throat and mynneck has swollen with a small red rash I'm 11days post surgery and start the drug replacement tomorrow has any one else had the feeling there is still a lump in ere throat and willnthe swelling go down the swelling has onlynjust come up thanks all tania
Linda

La Porte, IN

#69 Dec 26, 2011
I had a complete thyroidectomy on the 7th of Nov. I am taking 150 mg of Synthroid. 125 mg were started within 24 hours after my surgery. I am extremely fatiqued and I think depressed. My most concerning symptom is that I have great shortness of breath. I know this is related to nerve damage from the recrrent Larengyl nerve. This is very limiting becase the smallest of efforts make me very short of breath. I am being told by my surgeon that it will take months to get better, not just weeks, but that a full recovery is expected. Have others had to deal with this complication and can any of you share with me a successful resolve and improvement from this? My voice is improving now quite a bit. Thank you for any feedback.
Teresa

Bountiful, UT

#70 Jan 27, 2012
I had a TT in March of 08 due to multi-nodular goiter. Had previously had total hysterectomy so have no hormones and struggle with weight gain, fatigue, depression, cold sensitivity, etc. Pretty much every sympton of hypothyroidism. I did struggle with hot flashes but after much research have found a few supplements that really help several of my symptoms. I take a womans's multi-vitamin from "New Chapter" (Expensive but very worth it), a calcium-magnesium supplement, alternate omega and flax seed pills and biotin for thinning hair. As long as I take my multi-vitamin, I have NO hot flashes and I can tell my body is not starving for nutrients. The omega and flaxseed are good for your heart and the calcium-magnesium help with leg cramps and other things.
I still struggle with my weight and I'm trying an elimination diet to try and reset my metabolism. I read a post by Susie Cohen (Drug muggers) that you should have your doctor test for T3 and RT3(Reverse T3) when doing blood work. She said lack of certain minerals will cause your cells to not absorb T3 and they will bounce off causeing high RT3. If you have high RT3, she suggested taking Selenium, Zinc, Magnesium and a couple more I can't remember. You can look up Suzi Cohen online and find out more. It has definitely helped me cope better. I now just need to lose weight.
Feeling Good

Harlingen, TX

#71 Feb 29, 2012
I had a total thyroidectomy in April 2009. My throat was sore for two or three weeks but all is well now. I felt tired for several months but my meds were finally regulated and now I feel great. Joined weight watcher's in November 11 and have lost 20 pounds. Now am having to lower my dosage. There have been a couple of times since the surgery when I have had difficulty swallowing for a few minutes. I sure don't regret the surgery. Beats cancer any day.
Jodi

United States

#72 Mar 5, 2012
wendy wrote:
does anyone have a good outcome, whats the point of having this done, what kind of life will i live after thyroidectomy? doesn't anything good comes out of it. weight gain, tired, depressed.
I had a total in 2008, all labs had been fine prior. I have had to adjust my synthroid a couple times but overall I'm doing well!
Janet

Bournemouth, UK

#73 Mar 11, 2012
Hi folks I had a Total Thyroide removal.Do feel a lot better.However I do have tightness around my neck and worry when I swallow. I am seeing my surgeon next week for a check up.Anyone who has to have this op, do not worry, I feel 100% better, sleeping beautifully, skin better, no heat problems, I have put weight on, only hope I don't put too much on.Be Positive.
kiwi

Markham, Canada

#74 Mar 12, 2012
Amy wrote:
I had a full thyroidectomy 8 months ago and I have a problem with always feeling like something is in my throat, like flem or something. I constantly drink water to rid the feeling for just a moment. I haven't had any weight problems luckilly, but I am a lot more lazy!! I can drink a 5 hour energy and do stuff, but I'm sure that's not good for me.
I am reading through these posts and wanted to say I have the same experience. I had surgery where 3/4 of my thyriod removed (due to non-cancerious tumor)back in 2004 and now almost 8 years later, I still have this feeling like something is in my throat. I thought maybe it was scar tissue but my surgeon says no. I'm at a loss - he told me it was maybe heart indigestion / acid reflux or somethign like this - but I have never had this before in my life and I really don't think this is the problem at all. I'm going to my family doctor today to see what she says and maybe get another ultrasound just to make sure everything is okay - I'm thinking it's either scar tissue or the doctor hit something in my throat during surgery????
Venusham

United States

#75 Mar 17, 2012
I had TT last Saturday 3/10/12 due to a diagnosis of Graves Disease and a multumodular goiter and while the surgery itself went well, recovery has stunk to high heaven. I didnt lose my voice, but the pain was horrible. Now im 7 days post op, my neck is still swollen, it doesn't hurt to swallow anymore but I really don't have much of an appetite. I've been very tired and I am usually in bed by 7pm every night. I'm on 125mcg levothyroxine, and I take 2 500mg of OsCal 3 tImes a day, but no one told me I had to wait 4 hours to take it after my Synthroid. I haven't been numb, tingling, or twitching so I must be absorbing it. Ive read a lot of complaints over the last week concerning weight gain, under treatment and I'm definitely going to request Cytomel when I go back to have levels checked. I'll just be so glad when I stop looking like a bullfrog! I can deal with depression and fatigue, that's the story of my life, but this swelling on my neck is what bothers me the most at this point. I just wish I would have had more time to research this before having it done. The goiter was found in Jan, I had an ultrasound a week later, 3 weeks later I drove an hour to UVA to see an endocrinologist who had me go see the surgeon 2 weeks after that who scheduled surgery 2 weeks after that. I started school in Jan after almost 10 years, a mother of 3, and my husband works & goes to school full time too! Not enough time in the day for all of this, but some how I have to get it all done. Now I'm grasping trying to get a mental hold on what my life is going to be like going forward and honestly I'm scared.
helen

Stamford, UK

#76 Mar 23, 2012
I Linda...I'm in a similar position to yourself. Just wondered how you are doing now with your voice and breathing? I had tt end of feb 2012 due to graves disease (wish I'd not had it done but the RAI I had last year didnt work). I'm due to start voice therapy next month. I now occasionally have choking and reflux/phlegm problems and headaches which is due to vocal cords not functioning properly.

In my case both cords were cut and the surgeon tried to repair the left. Has your ENT looked at your vocal cords?(with a camera via your nose). My right is paralysed and sitting straight up and I need work on my left. My voice very weak/quiet/breathy and comes and goes. Very difficult to walk and talk to walk up stairs/hills.

Hope you are now recovering...would be good to hear some positive news on this

Theres an helpful website/forum called the Lary project which you may find useful. Good luck

Linda wrote:
I had a complete thyroidectomy on the 7th of Nov. I am taking 150 mg of Synthroid. 125 mg were started within 24 hours after my surgery. I am extremely fatiqued and I think depressed. My most concerning symptom is that I have great shortness of breath. I know this is related to nerve damage from the recrrent Larengyl nerve. This is very limiting becase the smallest of efforts make me very short of breath. I am being told by my surgeon that it will take months to get better, not just weeks, but that a full recovery is expected. Have others had to deal with this complication and can any of you share with me a successful resolve and improvement from this? My voice is improving now quite a bit. Thank you for any feedback.
THYROIDECTOMY

Glenwood, Australia

#77 May 26, 2012
HELLO, I HAD A COMPLETE THYROIDECTOMY A YEAR AGO,STILL NOT WELL
I GET A LOT OF INFLAMATION AROUND THE NECK SECTION, I CAN NOT LIFT ANYTHING HEAVIER THAN MY DINNER PLATE, IF SO THE PAIN AND INFLAMATION STAY FOR DAYS, I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL DR, BUT NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING, I HAD A FEW BLOOD TEST AND YES THEY SHOW INFLAMATION, BUT NO DR GIVE ME A SOLUTION, PLEASE HELP
Attila

Lake Elsinore, CA

#78 Aug 15, 2012
I had my TT in jan, 6 2011, a little over a year ago. I have had so many problems and been to the ER a dozen times. One time I was even hospitalized for 2 days.

I had a miss-diagnosis and had a TT because of it. I never needed the surgery, so I found out after.
Ever since the surgery, I have been fatigued, depressed, not able to sleep cause of breathing, eating problems, feeling crawly feelings on skin, get angry easily, the heat makes my breathing even worse, anxiety, cold sweats and the list goes on.

I also had the same problem many of you do, the feeling of something in my neck. A years worth of studies and doctors could not figure it out. I changed insurance and also doctors. One of the new doctors checked my throat and saw something around my trachea. He wanted to do discovery surgery to see what it is. It was scar tissue about 1cm in size! That is what has been causing most of my sleepless nights. When I turn my head it would cut off my air ways. He told me this was more than likely causes by the breathing tube during my TT surgery.

But my other problems remain, including breathing problems.. And it has been over a year and a half now. When does it get better? No doctor knows what's wrong, all I get is, "I don't know". So who will know, and when?

It is bad enough I had an in-needed surgery to begin with, but also on calcium, vit-d, thyroid replacement, and now on cholesterol and blood pressure meds because of all this. I had a clean bill of health all my life prior to this. My life at the moment is completely destroyed.

I can't play basketball, tennis, swim.. Like I did all the time. I can hardly walk to the mailbox without heavy breathing sometimes. Does anyone have any advice or anything.. I'm pleading for help.

Is this how the rest of my life will be?

Any help is appreciated.
Alesha

Australia

#79 Aug 19, 2012
I had a tt due to a massive multi nodule goitre 1 week again and u feel so crappy I just want it to end so I can go back to being a proper mummy to my son :(
Attila

Palm Desert, CA

#80 Aug 22, 2012
Alesha wrote:
I had a tt due to a massive multi nodule goitre 1 week again and u feel so crappy I just want it to end so I can go back to being a proper mummy to my son :(
From my understanding, everyone is different. For the last yeas and 7 months now, my life has changed. I feel that with all the tests the doctors have done and are still doing, it will not get better for me.

This is something I have to accept and live my life the best I can. I hope that you have a better recovery and go back to your normal life. Be positive!

Make sure to have your calcium/vitamin d levels checked along with your TSH/T4 levels. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.
Trudy oldham UK

North Shields, UK

#81 Oct 15, 2012
12 days ago i had a total thyroidectomy due to having graves desease and treatment failing again. The surgery seemed to go ok however the day after my calcium levels dropped and i had to be put on medication to increase that. This now seems to be ok although i have to take the meds for the next 4 weeks until i see my doctor again. I have got a lump in my throat where my scar is. It isnt painful just uncomfortable. It does swell and tighten depending on what im doing but doesnt disappear. This appeared a week after surgery and ive had it checked but they dont seem concerned.
Christina

Calgary, Canada

#82 Oct 18, 2012
I had a partial thyroidectomy this past July. Unlike everyone else I have read about, I had my right side removed. They had discovered a lump and after after an ultra sound, scan, and biopsy, they were concerned it was Hurthle Cell type carcinoma. Surgery went very well, I slept for a few days after, but felt really terrific right after that. I was on 100mg of synthroid, but after my 6 week post op appointment they discoverd my thyroid levels were way to high. They have lowered me to 75mg now, and although I still feel pretty good, my energy levels vary and somedays I find myself really quite tired, but nothing that I cant push myself through. I have gained weight, and that is really bothering me,and in mid/late September I started to notice that I could feel something in my throat, kind of like something is stuck, and I cant seem to swallow it down. I notice it almost all of the time, but if I am distracted or whatever I dont notice it. My main concern is the weight gain. I dont know how to prevent this, and now I have weight I want to lose! Does anyone have any advice on that, or am I destined to just keep plumping up?!? I have a doctors appointment next week, and I will be sure to ask him about it!
Ernest

Cocoa, FL

#83 Oct 25, 2012
Linda wrote:
Hi Linda
I am a 57 yr old male who also had a complete thyroidectomy about 5 weeks ago. Because of the size of the monster, I had to have a sternotomy as well so my sternum was cut down the middle to enable easier access.
My Recurrent Laryngeal nerve was damaged which has left my voice hoarse, raspy and almost a whisper at times. I get tired very easily and also out of breath even for short walks. I am also very sensitive to cold whereas before I was quite tolerant of cold.
On the bright side, my hypertension has stabilized considerably. I started off on a dose of .75 Levothyroxine which my Endo has changed to Synthroid 100 mcg based on my latest blood work. The key is finding the right balance with the meds.
I just wish I had more energy and often wonder how long before I regain my energy levels and my voice.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to air my story.
I went out to work after 3 weeks on a half day schedule and on the 4th week resumed my full day schedule. It has been a challenge. I often feel fatigued and sleepy.
Kofi

Ghana

#84 Nov 12, 2012
Amy wrote:
I had a full thyroidectomy 8 months ago and I have a problem with always feeling like something is in my throat, like flem or something. I constantly drink water to rid the feeling for just a moment. I haven't had any weight problems luckilly, but I am a lot more lazy!! I can drink a 5 hour energy and do stuff, but I'm sure that's not good for me.
That's exactly what I feel after almost 3months of total thyroidectomy. I wish you well Amy.
Kofi in Ghana

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Goiter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is your thyroid underactive? (Mar '12) May '16 queenie 4
Food supplement that cures goiter formulated by... (May '16) May '16 queenie 1
mb man faces charges over online pharmacy (Mar '16) Apr '16 Carey 5
News New York Times Examines Debate Over Thyroid Tes... (Apr '09) Sep '13 Mitchell 3
News False salt rumours add to health crisis in Paki... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Jai ki Maa 12
News Basic Facts about Goiters (May '08) Apr '12 STEVE 2
News Weight loss, gain? Check the thyroid (Jan '12) Jan '12 marleen 1
More from around the web