Is toothpaste really as toxic as they say it is?

Posted in the Gingivitis Forum

Since: Aug 12

Carson, CA

#1 Aug 15, 2012
I recently read an article entitled, "Toothpaste is Poison". Within the article it details how companies are actually using the same type of ingredients that are in antifreeze (propylene glycol), engine degreasers (SLS), and pesticides (triclosan) and putting in to toothpaste; all in the same of cheap production costs! Isn't toothpaste suppose to be preventative? How can something be preventative if it is laced with chemicals and toxins? I sure do not want my child brushing with the same ingredients that I use to wash my car with! 1894

Since: Aug 12

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Aug 31, 2012
Libby,

In recent studies, we are now finding out that the ingredients in toothpaste (among other hygiene products) are more toxic and harmful than was previously thought. Scientists are now linking some of the ingredients that you mentioned above to disease such as cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, etc. It's pretty startling because toothpaste we use day to day, month to month, year to year. Nowadays, it's hard to really discern what exactly we are putting into our bodies but do some research on your own so that you have a better understanding of what you are ingesting whether it be toothpaste or anything else.
John

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 Oct 29, 2013
I don't think that toothpaste is bad for you because why would your dentist tell you to use it or give it to you in the goodie bag you get. I'll have to ask my dentist in Saint George, UT about this. http://www.drpainless.com/index.html

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gingivitis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dentists warn children need to improve dental care (Oct '12) Oct 21 dylan 5
Dr. Darryl A. Field Recognizes the Importance o... Oct 2 geraldvonberger2002 1
A glass of wine can keep tooth decay and a sore... (Jul '07) Jul '14 DrMSohl 5
Sex life leaving a bad taste in your mouth? (Mar '13) Jun '14 Guido 14
How to Prevent Gum Disease (Dec '10) May '14 jennifers12 9
When mouthwash can actually make bad breath WORSE (Jun '13) May '14 jennifers12 9
Pet advice: Time to brush up on your dog's dent... (Feb '14) Apr '14 Anonymous 3

Gingivitis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE