can i get genital herpes if....

Posted in the Genital Herpes Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
surfer

Jacksonville, NC

#1 Sep 10, 2008
Okay - so i'm in a predicament: have a girl that i want to have sex (oral, intercourse, anal) with....she has genital herpes. damn.-i'm not too savy on the different ways of catching it...so help me out if ya' can please.
-Can i be infected if she shows no signs/sores? Can i be infected if i perform oral sex on her and vice versa? Intercourse either vaginally or anally...wearing a condom? How about touching her genitals with my fingers? So totally not fair.....just want to know the level of risk with those things seriously - wanting to have sex with her...but not wanting to
be infected. Help a dude out? Thanks!
chloe

Saint Catharines, Canada

#2 Sep 18, 2008
Yes you can contract it even if the person is not showing signs/symptoms. The virus can lay dormant in a person and the person can still pass the virus on to others whom they have sexual contact with whether it be anal, vaginal or oral. Also, using a condom only reduces the risk but not totally, you can still even contract it while using a condom. Your safest bet is to not have sex with this person. Another thing is, you may contract it and not know it for quite some time - months, years whatever, before you have your first outbreak. Hope this helps!
Surfer

Wilmington, NC

#3 Sep 20, 2008
Thanks Chloe! Kinda - lol....i mean thanks for the info....
and i guess i'll play it safe. Bummed i can't - but it is what it is.-S

Since: Sep 08

Fayetteville, NC

#4 Sep 26, 2008
While the herpes virus can infect anyone, not everyone will show symptoms.
The only way to definitely prevent a genital herpes infection is to avoid contact with infected people.
This is not an easy solution because many people arenít aware that they are infected.
Use of condoms and spermicidal jellies or foams with nonoxynol-9 is recommended with all partners whose disease status is questionable or unknown.
Chloe is right. Condoms may not protect against herpes when there is skin contact with someone with an open sore that cannot be covered by a condom.
If you are still really wanna have sex with her with this "play", using of dental dams or squares of non-microwaveable plastic wrap is also recommended.
Sexual contact should be avoided altogether during a herpes outbreak.
Touching affected areas should be avoided, since this can spread the infection to other sites.
Just consider this risk;
Once a person becomes infected, herpes simplex virus lies dormant in the body, waiting for just the right conditions to become active again.
This is really not every one wanted !
mary

Dallas, TX

#5 Aug 6, 2010
omg am so scared i mean 2 weeks ago i had sex with a guy but i made him use a condom but just yesterday i noticed something odd did he give me herpes i mean could he have possibly even with a condom does it really take 2 weeks after to show signs???? SO FREAKED OUT!
the facts

Jackson, KY

#6 Aug 15, 2010
dont believe chloe or irene. You can have sex with someone who has the disease as long as their arent having an outbreak. Its these people that scare others. Over 60 million people have hsv-1 and 2. You think they never have sex?
here are some facts: herpes is a skin disease if the person in having an outbreak and u use a condom by the skin touching u will still get it. I contracted the disease from oral sex with someone with a fever blister/cold sore. I didnt think the 2 viruses were that closly related so i thought it would be ok, but it wasnt. That same guy and I are still having sexual intercourse and all the intells but he hasnt gotten the virus.
just make sure the other person knows how to treat and protect others from getting the disease. If you ever have any questions about stds, ask a doctor. They will give u the facts and not scare u to death.
MissA

Panama City, FL

#7 Aug 30, 2010
the facts wrote:
dont believe chloe or irene. You can have sex with someone who has the disease as long as their arent having an outbreak. Its these people that scare others. Over 60 million people have hsv-1 and 2. You think they never have sex?
here are some facts: herpes is a skin disease if the person in having an outbreak and u use a condom by the skin touching u will still get it. I contracted the disease from oral sex with someone with a fever blister/cold sore. I didnt think the 2 viruses were that closly related so i thought it would be ok, but it wasnt. That same guy and I are still having sexual intercourse and all the intells but he hasnt gotten the virus.
just make sure the other person knows how to treat and protect others from getting the disease. If you ever have any questions about stds, ask a doctor. They will give u the facts and not scare u to death.
While it's not highly likely that you will contract herpes from someone not having an outbreak, it is ENTIRELY possible - that's how I contracted it. The person I contracted it from had never had an outbreak in his life and somehow still passed it along to me.
Manny

Santa Clara, CA

#8 Jun 9, 2011
Surfer wrote:
Thanks Chloe! Kinda - lol....i mean thanks for the info....
and i guess i'll play it safe. Bummed i can't - but it is what it is.-S
bro there are alot of women in this world and youre stuck with one with herpes...just go to the next one
Kris

Bowling Green, KY

#9 Aug 7, 2011
I agree with "the facts" I've had herpes for 3 years and enjoy a normal sex life. Herpes is 100 percent a cosmetic disease and over 45 million Americans have contracted it-weather it was an accident or not. Let me break that down to you, 1 out of 5 men have it and 1 out of 4 have it; not to mention herpes simple 1, which over half the world has! I have met and know many people with herpes and choose to be open about it, I think everyone should. Why should I be ashamed of something that 45 millions Americans have? Not to mention the only thing the disease does is cause a mild out break and make you slightly more susceptible to other STDS...like I said cosmetic disease. If people talked about it more instead of feared herpes or STDS for that matter, it wouldn't be so taboo. Lets grow up people.
Jake

Dallas, TX

#11 Oct 27, 2011
So this girl I talk to got raped one night two weeks later she found out she had contracted genital herpes she assures me that as long as she takes her medicine and we use a condom I'm safe but I'm so fearful of contracting the disease somebody please tell me that's true or something
Anonymous

United States

#12 Nov 11, 2011
Kris wrote:
I agree with "the facts" I've had herpes for 3 years and enjoy a normal sex life. Herpes is 100 percent a cosmetic disease and over 45 million Americans have contracted it-weather it was an accident or not. Let me break that down to you, 1 out of 5 men have it and 1 out of 4 have it; not to mention herpes simple 1, which over half the world has! I have met and know many people with herpes and choose to be open about it, I think everyone should. Why should I be ashamed of something that 45 millions Americans have? Not to mention the only thing the disease does is cause a mild out break and make you slightly more susceptible to other STDS...like I said cosmetic disease. If people talked about it more instead of feared herpes or STDS for that matter, it wouldn't be so taboo. Lets grow up people.
Well I have to agree with you totally. I contacted gental herpes at age 26 I am now 46. I was married to the same guy for 11yrs. Had 2 kids with him and he does not have herpes. Never used a condom once. If I knew I was having an outbreak we didn't have sex that simple. You just have to learn how to know when you are gonna have an outbreak. Keep healthy. I take no drugs for it at all I might have an outbreak every 2 or 3yrs. You are sore for a few days then it goes away.
binno

Jersey City, NJ

#13 Nov 21, 2011
I just had sex with a girl she just found out she has herpes its been 3weeks do you think I have it

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14 Nov 22, 2011
Herpes can be transmitted through skin to skin contact even if that person doesn't have an active outbreak. You can check if he/she has an active outbreak by observing the genitals area for sores. Some people though are blessed with a strong immune system that is why they do not get herpes even if their partner has it.
Curious

Hendersonville, NC

#17 Jul 11, 2012
I have had herpes since I was 16 I have only had sex with one person he and I had vaginal sex about a week before I had my first outbreak yet he claims he was tested and doesn't have it is that possible?
Curious

Hendersonville, NC

#18 Jul 11, 2012
Curious wrote:
I have had herpes since I was 16 I have only had sex with one person he and I had vaginal sex about a week before I had my first outbreak yet he claims he was tested and doesn't have it is that possible?
He and I were together 5 years and two kids as well!
sandy

Miami, FL

#19 Jul 18, 2012
cinfullgirl wrote:
<quoted text>Well I have to agree with you totally. I contacted gental herpes at age 26 I am now 46. I was married to the same guy for 11yrs. Had 2 kids with him and he does not have herpes. Never used a condom once. If I knew I was having an outbreak we didn't have sex that simple. You just have to learn how to know when you are gonna have an outbreak. Keep healthy. I take no drugs for it at all I might have an outbreak every 2 or 3yrs. You are sore for a few days then it goes away.
Did he have oral sex with you?
steven

Olympia, WA

#20 Aug 28, 2012
I had sex with a girl and we used a condom she knew she had herpes but didn't tell me until after we had sex..what r the chances that I have herpes ???
Worried

Brampton, Canada

#22 Sep 2, 2012
To ensure the most unbiased answer I have just listed the facts:-
1.Stripper performed oral sex on me with a condom.
2.We had no genital contact & her panties were still on.
3.Some of her saliva got on my hand but I don't think any got on my pubic area.
4.Saw no sores on her lips, in fact her lips seemed very healthy.
5.Did not climax as nerves got the best of me and lost erection with condom on. I know that creates a danger but I really don't think her saliva actually got under it since she kept her mouth on the condom itself.
6.Washed my hands immediately after then showered thoroughly when I got home.

What are my chances?
Worried

Roselle Park, NJ

#23 Sep 5, 2012
I had sex with a girl, who has had herpes for 2 years and only 1or 2 out breaks I used a condom. She wasn't having any system and wasn't having a out break. She told me after we had sex that she had it. What it the percent I can get it.
robb mories

Kansas City, MO

#25 Sep 24, 2012
Hi, i just found out that i had herpes. i dont know from whom i got it from. But in the mean time i have been having sex with a girl while i was on my outbreak i didnt know it was herpes thought it was a scratch or something.. now after i went to the doctor i figured out i have herpes on my penis. they gave me medicine. but now i was wondering if my girlfriend gives me oral sex after my outbreak is done and she kisses me will the outbreak come on my lips and hers? plus i still havent told her i gave her herpes or she gave it to me but she still hasent had the outbreak or she doesnt even know if she has herpes or not.. please give me some advice!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Genital Herpes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good tip to alleviate genital herpes symptoms i... (Jul '13) 18 hr chloe 45
Most reliable herpes dating site (Jul '13) 19 hr Herpesfriends 18
Meet People with Herpes Sun Morris 2
Dedicated dating site for Herpes Singles ?? (May '14) May 31 Durnk 28
How to live with Genital Herpes (Jul '09) May 29 miki 144
Genital Herpes Dating Sites for Canada, Austral... May 25 StdFriends 11
as we get older May 20 sad48 1
More from around the web