Boiling point for

Boiling point for

There are 4 comments on the Lowell Sun story from Sep 30, 2009, titled Boiling point for. In it, Lowell Sun reports that:

The state Department of Environmental Protection is ordering residents who use public water to boil their cooking and drinking water until E. coli bacteria is flushed from the system.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lowell Sun.

JIm

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Sep 30, 2009
As corrupt and bad Unitil is, this is one of the reasons that a town run utility would not work.

They pay high rates, and the water still becomes polluted.

I hope they plan on providing the residents with free bottle water, and not charge them for the water they cannot use.

Time to drill a well I guess, they cannot guarantee clean water in Townsend anymore.
me again

Haverhill, MA

#2 Sep 30, 2009
Jim - You sound very unhappy with Townsend....
Our water Dept has provided excellent water for a very long time. Testing has improved and risks are identified sooner and studies have shown more restrictive levels are needed for our safety. As we know Milford and Gloucester had the same problem. Hopefully our water meets safe levels soon. We aren't charged for water we don't use... although we will have to pay for the fixes... We do have the best water around... even with the e. coli :-)

Last I heard digging a well in Townsend isn't the greatest idea.. Weren't there some neighborhoods that tried that and needed the water dept. to bail them out??
kippy

West Roxbury, MA

#3 Oct 1, 2009
Hey Jim, time to get on the Zoloft again. I've lived in town for 20 years and this is the first time this has happened. The Water Department is well run and provides good quality water; regular testing proves this. The fact that there was a main break may have contirbuted to this. Give it a couple of days and you'll have fresh, clean water for your whiskey.
Rob

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Oct 2, 2009
JIm wrote:
As corrupt and bad Unitil is, this is one of the reasons that a town run utility would not work.
They pay high rates, and the water still becomes polluted.
I hope they plan on providing the residents with free bottle water, and not charge them for the water they cannot use.
Time to drill a well I guess, they cannot guarantee clean water in Townsend anymore.
Jim, the town isnt going to provide free water unless you can prove that you can not boil your water. Townsend might not be the best but it is our town and the town is doing its best to clear the water up. I tend to defend people that actually do something about a problem instead of complain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Poisoning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The leading sources of food poisoning Jul 29 Caroline 1
Subway Food Poisoning (Apr '07) Jun '15 cmurwin 283
Yogurt food poisoning Mar '15 daniel4479 2
Best way to Health! Feb '15 valeriy1986 1
News Why transparency is key to food safety (Jan '15) Jan '15 SUNSHINE FOUND 1
News Fish poisoning: Spanish mackerel case a 'wake-u... (Dec '14) Dec '14 nickboo 4
McDonalds - Food Poisoning in Laurel MD (May '08) Nov '14 Edp 44
More from around the web