My husband and I weren't hit with the disaster until we reached our home in California on Monday evening. At least we could share our misery in a multi-toilet residence. If the bug turns out to be a Norovirus, I suspect it tagged us together on Sunday around dinnertime, when we were together and not in our room. I think Norovirus can survive for 24 hours on surfaces and resist some sanitizing agents. Did it wait for us on an elevator button or on that table in the bar?

I'm a former microbiologist and safety officer, so I'm pretty good about washing my hands often. David is a retired MD. But as few as ten Norovirus particles can trigger an infection. Hardly seems fair.

David is fine now. Alas, I'm not.