Getting ashes should be about more th...

Getting ashes should be about more than convenience

There are 5 comments on the hamptonroads.com story from Feb 25, 2012, titled Getting ashes should be about more than convenience. In it, hamptonroads.com reports that:

I enjoy going to church on Ash Wednesday. It's been a ritual for most of my 52 years.

Mass that day is inspirational for me, a Roman Catholic. We kick off the season of Lent, a time of fasting, sacrifice and penitence leading up to Easter. My parish priest reminds us why we do this - using this time to reach out to people who may have wronged us, or whom we may have wronged.

Making amends.

Preparing to recall Jesus' death and celebrate his resurrection ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at hamptonroads.com.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#1 Feb 25, 2012
from hamptonroads:

"... In some communities across the country, Ash Wednesday has taken on the drive-thru treatment usually reserved for fast-food joints.

"Two local Episcopal priests brought ashes to pedestrians, motorists and others in the Ghent section of Norfolk. It's part of a 5-year-old movement called 'Ashes to Go'...

"Some people have trouble getting ashes while shuttling between work, picking up the kids and evening activities. I understand that.

"But if you can't set meaningful time aside for it, is it really meaningful?

"The outward sign of the ashes is nice, and it lets everyone know you remembered this special day.

"What happens inward, though, while preparing for Easter ... that's much more important."

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#2 Feb 25, 2012
Yawn..........

How many more posts about the same subject are you going to post?

YAWN..........

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#3 Feb 25, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
Yawn..........
How many more posts about the same subject are you going to post?...
When Lent is over; then you can read all my "same subject" posts about Easter.
Yes

Ava, MO

#4 Feb 25, 2012
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Put away the traditions of men and the nonsense of ashes and put on Christ Jesus through faith in Him and His Word.
George

Jacksonville, FL

#5 Feb 29, 2012
Yes wrote:
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Put away the traditions of men and the nonsense of ashes and put on Christ Jesus through faith in Him and His Word.
Why is it nonsense? While I don't take them myself, I see them merely as a symbol of something else that is clearly not nonsense. Like anything else, if done for the wrong reason (i.e., to parade one's supposed piety) it is a distraction and perhaps even irreverent, but in and of itself, and IMO, it is hardly nonsense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fasting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Church accused of offering to 'cure homosexuali... Aug 17 Gremlin 6
News Message of peace to Islam's detractors on the o... Jun '17 And burn your Koran 1
News What I did in Ramadan Jun '17 Ra_Ra 2
News How to deal with hot weather while working Jun '17 andet1987 14
News Islampray 670x305 Jun '17 Simran68 2
News Arctic Muslims don't make light of extreme Rama... Jun '17 yehoshooah adam 3
News Tamaqua churches gather for Day of... May '17 Yard Ape 6
More from around the web