Former Minnesota Twin Killebrew entering hospice care

Full story: TwinCities.com

Minnesota Twins Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew at a spring training baseball game in Fort Myers, Fla., Saturday, March 19, 2011.
Comments
121 - 132 of 132 Comments Last updated May 16, 2011
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
driscoll

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Morneau and Mauer could only wish to be half the ballplayer the Killer was. Even his towering fly ball outs were a thing of beauty
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Touch Em All wrote:
Do many of those who didn't get a chance to see Harmon, Tony O. and those really good Twins teams of the mid 60s to the early 70s realize just how significant a player Killebrew was in baseball history? It took up to a short bit ago for another right-handed hitter in the American League to amass more career homers than Killebrew.
He had 40 or more jacks in EIGHT seasons; this during an era dominated in many respects by pitching and before people shot themselves up with chemicals. His home runs were not just often, they where absolute shots. Some will recall he hit one over the roof in left at Tiger stadium.
He is the all-time Twins leaders in homeruns, RBIs, total bases, walks and slugging percentage. He would be the first to say that Oliva and/or Carew were the best hitters and probably say that Kirby was the best player in Twins history but it would be difficult to say there was a more dominant force to wear the uniform. Of all of my memories of Harmon, I think my favorite was when Puckett would call him "Killy".
All of this and what most people remember about this remarkable regular man is his kind demeanor. The Grand Daddy of Minnesota Twins baseball. Sad news.
Great post.

Plus, heís the only Twin to hit 40 HRís a year. I went to my first game in 1969, and Killer hit one against the Oís. What a great memory.

Thanks Killer
whatever

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Most of us know this, but did you know the official MLB logo is Harmon swinging? They just didnít choose him for his on field talents.
Mary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

whatever wrote:
Harmon, you are a great man and have always been the best role model. I met you in 1984 and you treated me like I was your brother.
Thanks Killer
I agree, Harmon is the type of pro-athlete we need to have more of. He truly played for the love of the game. He is a down to earth all around decent human being who will go down in the history books. His legend will live on.
handay dandy

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

You Ignorant Witch wrote:
<quoted text>Go away. Can't people like you just leave politics out of anything. You should feel awful with this contribution and probably your entire entire life. You are truly a mean and worthless pig!
Thank you well said!!!! I can't believe "jen's" post....obviously no filter...
Old Dominion Viking

Woodbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

If the untimely loss of Kirby Puckett wasn't bad enough for us diehard and long time Twins fans, the recent news about Harmon Killebrew will be even harder to take. Through the good and bad years that the Twins experienced during his time in Minnesota, Harmon could always be counted on to be among the league leaders in home runs or RBI's.
It's too bad such a classy and decent player never won a World Series championship. At least he earned an American League one and, as an honored guest, was able to see his former team win it all on two occasions.
Thanks for all you did for the Twins organization, Mr. Killebrew. Your achievements will live on in the memories of fans and in the Hall of Fame where you rightfully stand with the other great players of Major League Baseball.
Perhaps the 2011 Twins can find it within themselves to dedicate the rest of the season to Mr. Killebrew and turn around the disaster that it has been thus far. Are you guys up to the task?
mee2

Lonsdale, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Class act. If I could only be half the man as you.
TaxTaxTax

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

There will certainly be a non-stop world series being played in Heaven someday and he will be there!

Until then, rest assured knowing that you can't earn your way into Heaven Harmon as we all know we are saved by grace alone.

If you could earn you way there you would be able to say you did it yourself because of the exemplary way you lived your life here on earth!
Jean from WSP

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

I had the honor of seeing Harmon play many times, he is my all time favorite base ball player. I am the proud owner of a Harmon Killebrew mug with a masking tape with the date of his 500th homerun on it. I also still have my Harmon Killebrew collage wastebasket I made with program photos.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Hospice is the right place for him now, they are so kind.
Apple Dumpling

Mankato, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Maroon and Gold in Wisc wrote:
<quoted text>A healthy Tony Oliva was the best player in Twins history.
I can respect that opinion; perhaps agree with it. I would ask you to consider what a healthy Harmon would have done? But upon a little reflection, I don't think Oliva...a phenominal hitter to be sure...could have done what Pucket did, which was to not only carry his team to two world series but hit milestons such as being only the second player in the 20th Century to reach 2,000 hits in his first ten years (and only the 4th to reach 1,000 hit in his first five years. Setting this aside, Puckett was a six time Gold Glove winner playing a very difficult position (and playing a majority of games on turf). This is like arguing what type of beer is best; no clear definitive winner.

One has to ask what Puckett might have done if he had Harmon and Sir Rodney protecting him..sprinkle in a little Bob Alison and his home run stick.

What neither of them could do those is launch moon shots. That was Harmon's forte; he hit almost two hundred more than Hrbek. We'll never see another RBI machine like old Harmon either.
Maroon and Gold in Wisc

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Apple Dumpling wrote:
<quoted text>
I can respect that opinion; perhaps agree with it. I would ask you to consider what a healthy Harmon would have done? But upon a little reflection, I don't think Oliva...a phenominal hitter to be sure...could have done what Pucket did, which was to not only carry his team to two world series but hit milestons such as being only the second player in the 20th Century to reach 2,000 hits in his first ten years (and only the 4th to reach 1,000 hit in his first five years. Setting this aside, Puckett was a six time Gold Glove winner playing a very difficult position (and playing a majority of games on turf). This is like arguing what type of beer is best; no clear definitive winner.
One has to ask what Puckett might have done if he had Harmon and Sir Rodney protecting him..sprinkle in a little Bob Alison and his home run stick.
What neither of them could do those is launch moon shots. That was Harmon's forte; he hit almost two hundred more than Hrbek. We'll never see another RBI machine like old Harmon either.
Pucket had Hrbek, Gaetti, Brunanski among others around him. Both were exceptional players. With Puckets personallity Oliva would be in the Hall. If the voters new some of Puckets behind the scene issues, it might have taken him longer to get in.
TeddyBallgame

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2011

Not a twin fan but a Killebrew fan. This is someone kids should emulate. One of the vivid baseball memories of my child hood was Harmon crushing a ball in Fenway that went over the centerfield wall and hit the back wall. This ball, I have no doubt, would have traveled 500 feet or more. He could hit a baseball! Here's to you KILLER!!! You're one of the best!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Esophageal Cancer Discussions

Search the Esophageal Cancer Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryuichi Sakamoto Diagnosed With Throat Cancer Sun lots going on 1
Increase in throat and anal cancers tied to hum... Jul 25 Brenda 3
JPMorgan CEO to get treatment for throat cancer Jul 1 Edward J Cejka 2
Smoking and drinking doubles risks for esophage... Apr '14 A HOLE IN YOUR THROAT 2
Robotic surgery vs. radiation, chemo for throat... (Apr '13) Nov '13 David Pendarvis 2
Michael Douglas blames oral sex for throat cancer (Jun '13) Oct '13 farm tractors 13
Singing the blues, feeling the faith (Aug '10) Sep '13 Brian 4
•••
•••