Is red meat's bad name justified?

Full story: Newsday

Recent studies give red meat a bad name. 2:51 PM EST, November 19, 2008 Small portions of red meat can be healthy.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Moab

Rutland, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Judged:

Scientists say that there is a place for red meat in a diet and then the author of this article doesn't follow this up except with "use meat as a treat and not a staple."

This is much like saying "Scientists say there is a place for lard in the diet and use it as a treat and not as a staple." Or use chocolate, or whatever.

Please - if you're going to write the article, write it. This article shows why eating red meat is bad and never explains why it might not be. Why should we eat the USDA's suggested 18 ounces a week? Only because agri-business says we should.

Obviously there is no reason to eat meat (other than the same reasons we should drink whiskey or eat candy) thus, the article is mistakenly titled to boot.

If you're going to pretend the article is unbaised, do so, otherwise come out and say it like it is - there is no reason to eat red meat. Ever.
wHammY

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

I eat it because it is damn tasty...
Everything in moderation, you only go around once...

RTF

“Cactus?”

Since: Dec 06

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

Red meat is not as bad for you as furry greenish-grey meat.
wHammY

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

YES I agree RTF, greenish grey meat complete with maggots is not healthy
H Pylori

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Judged:

If God didn't want people to eat animals, why did he make them from meat????

P.E.T.A.-- People Eating Tasty Animals
Loyal Democrat

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

Green eggs and ham.
the inquirer

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

wHammY wrote:
YES I agree RTF, greenish grey meat complete with maggots is not healthy
But are the maggots themselves healthy to eat? Low fat protein source right there!
the inquirer

Levittown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

wow m/a/g/g/o/t/s/ got censored on my reply. strange, strange, topix moderation.
ArmsLength

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

those animals are just so delicious...
I too would imagine maggots to be a healthy snack.
Sarah Palin says

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2008

I only eat Democrat Mooses. Huh? Did I say something wrong?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

H pylori wrote"
"If God didn't want people to eat animals, why did he make them from meat????
P.E.T.A.-- People Eating Tasty Animals"

hahaha... good one, i like it!
richard cranium

Deltona, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

i personally prefer the "red snapper"
wHammY

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Mmmmm...Tasty slimy maggots!

“Trying is...”

Since: Feb 08

the first step towards failure

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Judged:

Moab wrote:
Scientists say that there is a place for red meat in a diet and then the author of this article doesn't follow this up except with "use meat as a treat and not a staple."
This is much like saying "Scientists say there is a place for lard in the diet and use it as a treat and not as a staple." Or use chocolate, or whatever.
Please - if you're going to write the article, write it. This article shows why eating red meat is bad and never explains why it might not be. Why should we eat the USDA's suggested 18 ounces a week? Only because agri-business says we should.
Obviously there is no reason to eat meat (other than the same reasons we should drink whiskey or eat candy) thus, the article is mistakenly titled to boot.
If you're going to pretend the article is unbaised, do so, otherwise come out and say it like it is - there is no reason to eat red meat. Ever.
Go back to Russia
wouch

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Judged:

I eat red meat like I am packing an artery. I wash it down with little neck clams drowned in melted butter and a magnum of Cabernet. Sure I am chunky but I am happy.
Deputy Dog

Orange City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

RTF wrote:
Red meat is not as bad for you as furry greenish-grey meat.
Now that's funny! LMAO
Southwest Orange

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

Red meat and nothing but...

Keep your hormone laced chicken and your soy products. Ever do any research on Soy?

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp...

Bleech.
wHammY

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

wasn't soy linked to cancer in women
Cogency

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

wouch wrote:
I eat red meat like I am packing an artery. I wash it down with little neck clams drowned in melted butter and a magnum of Cabernet. Sure I am chunky but I am happy.
Awesome! Your post made me hungry for the dinner I’m going to have to night. I am CARNIVORE!! Hear me roar!!!

That being said, there is no cogent argument out there to support that red meat is a necessary, healthful addition to the human diet. To believe that would be to have lived under a rock for the last 30 or so years. Every few years these studies come out, and despite saying that it’s OK in moderation, the bottom-line is it’s bad for ya. The fact is, humans don’t die from red meat-withdrawal—or do they? Lol.

It’s the same bullshjit with coffee, red wine, eggs, etc. It’s good! No wait—it’s bad. Um, good? No way man-- don’t ingest that! So stupid.

Add to that, advertising for these products, and the average consumer becomes ambivalent.“Eggs. Nature’s perfect food”.“Beef! It’s what’s for dinner tonight”.“Pork! The other white meat”. Blah, blah. I’ll make my own decisions, thank you.

I say s-c-r-e-w it and enjoy your life. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow—we die.

I had a birthday this week and I’m excited to be going tonight to yes you guessed it—a Steakhouse!!! Yum! Shrimp cocktail to start, a big ole slab o’ cow with a lobster tail on the side; a baked potato, broccoli and a salad. And I’ll wash it down with a VAT of booze; probably cocktails while we’re waiting for a table, then glorious, glorious Merlot or Cabernet. Been fasting all week for this. Ahhhh…

“It’s bullshjt, folks! And it’s bad for ya!”
~~George Carlin.

Happy Birthday to me!
;-)
wHammY

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2008

happy birthday
Seems like everyday you hear something else is bad for you and causes some form of cancer. I saw something on one of those news programs I don't know if it was 20/20 but they had on these people who only eat raw food (grass & twigs yum). They looked about 30 years older than their cooked food eating counterparts.
I will stick to my red meat, chicken,turkey and of course the occasional maggot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Esophageal Cancer Discussions

Search the Esophageal Cancer Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Robotic surgery vs. radiation, chemo for throat... (Apr '13) Nov '13 David Pendarvis 2
Michael Douglas blames oral sex for throat cancer (Jun '13) Oct '13 farm tractors 13
Singing the blues, feeling the faith (Aug '10) Sep '13 Brian 4
A Special Treatment Is Giving Cancer Patients A... (Jun '10) Sep '13 Kolby 2
Next super-berry has a sweet face | The Columbu... (Apr '11) Sep '13 Jonathan 7
'New era' begins for cancer patients - Journal ... (Aug '09) Sep '13 Ben 2
Throat cancer and oral sex: What are the risks? (Jun '13) Jun '13 Airtime 1
•••
•••
•••
•••