Jett's death can help bring understanding

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Like Jett Travolta , I collapsed at age 16 as a result of a major seizure. Unlike Jett, I didn't hit my head or suffer other significant trauma.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Oct 3, 2010
PencilHead

Wimberley, TX

#1 Jan 25, 2009
Don't get your hopes up that the Travoltas will help anyone. In case you hadn't noticed, John has bought his way into a religeon based on the deranged and egotistical logic of a particularly mediocre novelist. This cult dismisses most forms of modern medicine because Ron Hubbard pretended that the shrinks had taken over the world in his--I'll say it again--mediocre novels.

People like you who will speak out bravely are the hope for the epileptic. We share that gene and thank you for your words and hope.
Vagabondo

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Jan 25, 2009
I would like to see any kind of a study that indicates the probability of a seizure resulting in the immediate loss of consousness. My impression is that the victum just slowly collapses to the ground (or floor).
Father of a son

Rishon Le Zion, Israel

#3 Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure what this article is trying to get at. Epilepsy is a catch-phrase used to decrscibe many conditions where seizures take place; in other words epilepsy can be just a symptom not a disease state. Being such a varied conglomeration it is no wonder that first responders or even ER physicians do not respond "appropriately". Recently in the ER (my son's second home), after caring for my child 24/7 who suffers from four different kinds of seizures and was in status epillepticus, the attending physician asked me, "but how do you know he is in a seizure?"
It is a complex collection of conditions that can only be recognized properly if the underlying disorder is properly diagnosed and understood. Quite like Cancer, though the death rate is much lower.
Danna

Austin, TX

#4 Jan 28, 2009
Vagabondo wrote:
I would like to see any kind of a study that indicates the probability of a seizure resulting in the immediate loss of consousness. My impression is that the victum just slowly collapses to the ground (or floor).
Just FYI...Some epileptics have the type of seizure as you described, but not all. My son has horribly violent seizures. These are not only dangerous because of what he might hit while seizing, but his blood pressure goes dangerously high.
Justsayin

Irmo, SC

#5 Jan 28, 2009
Travolta is accusing Bahamasí officials of extortion and will not disclose the details. What John is doing is pointing the finger so no one will question why he had his son cremated in less than 24 hours without seeing an American (non scientologist) doctor for a legitimate autopsy. JMHO Jett died while being under scientology voodoo. No joke, believe it or not. Check Lisa Mcpherson's story and look at her autospy pictures. Another bad introspection run down resulting in death. John Travolta makes me sick, he is gross and disgusting...and so is his dingy wife.
Justsayin

Irmo, SC

#6 Jan 28, 2009
Vagabondo wrote:
I would like to see any kind of a study that indicates the probability of a seizure resulting in the immediate loss of consousness. My impression is that the victum just slowly collapses to the ground (or floor).
They don't lose consciousness, the electrical spiking in the brain takes over and cause a loss of coordination. There are two type of seizures: Grand mal and peti mal. Peti mal-mild seizure- is the most difficult to control. Grand mal-strong seizure- are easier to control. After a seizure, one usually takes a long nap from exhaustion. Epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. This is not what killed Jett Travolta, no matter what John Boy's paid servant claims. John's threatening him/her back, accusing him/her of extortion. Right down Scientology's alley, they are all criminals. mo Travolta doesn't want his religion to be blamed, when it should be. Bahaman officials did not report any trauma to Jett's head. A fall or seizure did not kill him. Introspection rundown killed him. mo
Danna

Austin, TX

#7 Jan 28, 2009
You see conspiracies everywhere dont you?
sand a claus

Bronx, NY

#8 Feb 19, 2009
Justsayin,

You mentioned in your post taht epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. Well, not only are you completely wrong, your ignorance is something that is found in most of the public. I remember listening to people try to blame the Travoltas because they took their son of meds, yet nobody mentioned the fact that for many of us, meds are worse than the seizures. Meds are harmful drugs that don't work for many of us, and that is a fact. Try learning about a subject before you speak on it.
just a statement

Denville, NJ

#9 Feb 19, 2009
sand a claus wrote:
Justsayin,
You mentioned in your post taht epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. Well, not only are you completely wrong, your ignorance is something that is found in most of the public. I remember listening to people try to blame the Travoltas because they took their son of meds, yet nobody mentioned the fact that for many of us, meds are worse than the seizures. Meds are harmful drugs that don't work for many of us, and that is a fact. Try learning about a subject before you speak on it.
From what I read it said Jett was on medication but was taken off a year ago because it damaging his liver.
just a statement

Denville, NJ

#10 Feb 19, 2009
Let me ask you a Question? Do any of you have a child that has seizure's and has a mental Disability? Because if you don't then you can't possible know what they where going through.
just a statement

Denville, NJ

#11 Feb 19, 2009
Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't lose consciousness, the electrical spiking in the brain takes over and cause a loss of coordination. There are two type of seizures: Grand mal and peti mal. Peti mal-mild seizure- is the most difficult to control. Grand mal-strong seizure- are easier to control. After a seizure, one usually takes a long nap from exhaustion. Epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. This is not what killed Jett Travolta, no matter what John Boy's paid servant claims. John's threatening him/her back, accusing him/her of extortion. Right down Scientology's alley, they are all criminals. mo Travolta doesn't want his religion to be blamed, when it should be. Bahaman officials did not report any trauma to Jett's head. A fall or seizure did not kill him. Introspection rundown killed him. mo
Well that isn't true, my sister had a seizure in a store and fell face down like a ton of brick's and broke her noise and was taken to the hospital for a cat scan.
just a statement

Denville, NJ

#12 Feb 19, 2009
Oh, she was out cold, and afterward's didn't even remember about having a seizure.
Bekkie

Edmonton, Canada

#13 Mar 31, 2009
sand a claus wrote:
Justsayin,
You mentioned in your post taht epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. Well, not only are you completely wrong, your ignorance is something that is found in most of the public. I remember listening to people try to blame the Travoltas because they took their son of meds, yet nobody mentioned the fact that for many of us, meds are worse than the seizures. Meds are harmful drugs that don't work for many of us, and that is a fact. Try learning about a subject before you speak on it.
well said - my father had epilepsy his whole life, and medication did nothing for him.. he was in and out of the hospital once every couple months being hooked up to numerous machines, and they'd test different medications to see if they'd work.. and they never did.. all they did was make him groggy, short-tempered, and out of it most of the time. the last week of his life when he was off his meds was the happiest he had been in a very long time - he died due to his epilepsy (had a seizure in his sleep and sufficated)- at least now he doesn't have to suffer anymore.
As said previously by other posters, I don't think Jett's death will bring any understanding.. it's groups like Destiny Maker and people who continue to raise awareness that will hopefully continue to shed light on such a diverse and devastating condition.
reaction

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#14 Apr 14, 2009
Justsayin wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't lose consciousness, the electrical spiking in the brain takes over and cause a loss of coordination. There are two type of seizures: Grand mal and peti mal. Peti mal-mild seizure- is the most difficult to control. Grand mal-strong seizure- are easier to control. After a seizure, one usually takes a long nap from exhaustion. Epilepsy is easily controlled by medication. This is not what killed Jett Travolta, no matter what John Boy's paid servant claims. John's threatening him/her back, accusing him/her of extortion. Right down Scientology's alley, they are all criminals. mo Travolta doesn't want his religion to be blamed, when it should be. Bahaman officials did not report any trauma to Jett's head. A fall or seizure did not kill him. Introspection rundown killed him. mo
I am an epileptic and there are over 20 diff types of seizures, not just 2 classifications! some lose conciousness and some dont, it depends on the patients type of epilepsy. "electrical impulse" dont take over the brain-eletrical impulses are sent throughout the affected AREA of the brain/SOME the entire brain. NOT EVERYONE NAPS!! ie: the staring spells..you should kno that you mentioned petit mal! jett may have died from SUDEP or a resulted head injury from a seizure. if he was taken off meds bc of his liver -anticonvulsants effect the liver tramendously! you are so ignorant to this disorder and its insulting to the travoltas that you even commented.
J Greg Ness

Hudson, FL

#15 Oct 3, 2010
The Standard Insurance discriminates against those with Epilepsy, MS, and any other neurological issues. They will steal your benefits unless you fight them. We need help from The Epilepsy Foundation.

SILVERMAN, Circuit Judge,
The plan administrator doesn't conduct a trial. It pays or denies plan benefits on basis of the information in its possession, even if some of it is contradictory.
In my view, Kearney's motion for summary judgment should have been granted and Standard's denied. Rather than repeat it here, I commend the reader to Judge Reinhardt's powerful description of the cogent evidence Kearney submitted to prove his disability. Kearney v. Standard Ins. Co., 144 F.3d 597, 600-603 (9th Cir.) rehearing granted, opinion withdrawn, 152 F. 3d 1098 (1998). It is also true that Standard was in possession of information that suggested otherwise. Of course, the insurance company must not be made to pay for losses that are not covered by the plan or for claims that have not been proven. But in cases such as this one, where there is strong evidence of a covered loss, some evidence to the contrary, and no definitive way to know for sure, the benefit of the doubt should have been resolved in favor of the beneficiary. For that reason, viewing it on a de novo basis, I would have found Kearney's proof of disability to be "satisfactory" in light of the totality of the evidence in Standard's possession

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epilepsy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
7 things to know about epilepsy Jul '14 Trash Science 1
Pittsfield: Bucky Lewis comedy show to benefit ... Jun '14 Praxis33 11
VIVUS Is A Viable Long Term Investment (May '12) Jun '14 Emery 18
Fish oil can help supress's epilepsy (Dec '06) Jun '14 anjali 36
Dayton seeks $2.2 million for pot study Jun '14 Study MN Pharmacies 6
Chopin's hallucinations likely caused by epilepsy (Jan '11) May '14 chopin follower 8
Lying mother 'risk' to her children May '14 HumanSpirit 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Epilepsy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••